• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is appropriate language but it's kind of amazing to watch Darwin (evolution) in action. This is a disease that is far more effective at killing people who don't believe in science, or place other things higher than being alive....(and unfortunately a lot of people around them)

Maybe, just maybe, the population left behind will be a bit more willing to believe in the scientific method, and the usefulness of testing things and figuring things out!? Rather than believing in God and Country(TM) above everything else.
It is more effective at killing liberal new Yorkers than republican Texans

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
That's the thing. The Trump Administration and a multitude of GOP politicians have never taken this seriously and their constituents haven't either. It'd be one thing if we were trying to reopen based on a few months of actually staunchly sticking to medical guidelines from experts but it's been half baked all over the US. We've had months of Trump and the GOP trying to equivocate this virus with the seasonal flu, manipulating and hiding the numbers to minimize the impact, contradiction of medical experts on the national stage literal seconds after the experts gave advice, denied resources necessary for medical professionals and average citizens to treat or prevent the disease, enabled and perpetuated conspiracy theories that riled up anti-lockdown protests that assembled hundreds of people and created a culture of multiple business owners forcing workers back in under the guise of "protecting their freedom", stymieing financial aid to Americans to provide a net of certainty and comfort necessary to make staying at home valuable and viable for millions of Americans, etc. We could have learned something but the 1st half of the year was all about purposefully and willfully preventing learning anything or even that there was an issue worth addressing in the first place let alone learning from. The lockdown was supposed to remain until we've flattened the curve, correct. But the reason Bright, Fauci and other medical professionals are testifying and basically begging half of the country to take this seriously is because our efforts to flatten the curve as a nation have been half-assed at best for the past ~6-7 months.

Exactly right. Well-said.

And there may well be places that do take it seriously! I know there are states that will do the right things. But with intra/inter-state travel, people flouting quarantine orders, it doesn't matter. Like with NY in the beginning/Mardi Gras/Spring Break, people will just re-spread it.

That border to the Canadian/US border better be closed for a loooooooooong time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of the reason the efforts to flatten the curve have been poor is because you have a lot of people going "well, I'm going to be smart and get my hair cut BEFORE all the dumb masses" all at once. Literally everybody who goes out, thinks that they're the safe, smart ones, unlike everyone else.

You can only control yourself. Either you are doing your part, or you aren't.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
When our governor first announced that he wanted the state to reopen, I thought maybe It's actually not a bad idea if you leave the state laws flexible and let each individual district or county set their own guidelines based on how overloaded or not their local healthcare system and hospitals are. Because Gary Indiana shouldn't lock down as long as NYC. I thought it sounded sensible that the mayors of our major cities could decide themselves to stay in lockdown, while less affected rural areas could carefully reopen if the hospitals in those areas weren't at risk of overload. I myself was even excited to resume going back to bars and restaurants under my wrong assumption that our elected representatives were being genuine when they told us that it was safe to do so in our area (that turned out to be BS). I was wrong - the death toll is exponentially growing now. The thing I believed and thought sounded sensible was completely wrong.

Apparently even that was putting too much faith in the supposed conservative system of letting local governments govern themselves. As the mayors of Houston, Dallas, and Austin implemented strong policy mandating masks and keeping most businesses closed, Abott decided to step in and push an executive order that mandates our cities can't enforce PPE. He told the mayor of the 3rd or 4th biggest city in America that he's just not allowed to have a response to the virus. I feel embarrassed that I believed in and bought into the reopening plan for a hot minute

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When our governor first announced that he wanted the state to reopen, I thought maybe It's actually not a bad idea if you leave the state laws flexible and let each individual district or county set their own guidelines based on how overloaded or not their local healthcare system and hospitals are. Because Gary Indiana shouldn't lock down as long as NYC. I thought it sounded sensible that the mayors of our major cities could decide themselves to stay in lockdown, while less affected rural areas could carefully reopen if the hospitals in those areas weren't at risk of overload. I myself was even excited to resume going back to bars and restaurants under my wrong assumption that our elected representatives were being genuine when they told us that it was safe to do so in our area (that turned out to be BS). I was wrong - the death toll is exponentially growing now. The thing I believed and thought sounded sensible was completely wrong.

Apparently even that was putting too much faith in the supposed conservative system of letting local governments govern themselves. As the mayors of Houston, Dallas, and Austin implemented strong policy mandating masks and keeping most businesses closed, Abott decided to step in and push an executive order that mandates our cities can't enforce PPE. He told the mayor of the 3rd or 4th biggest city in America that he's just not allowed to have a response to the virus. I feel embarrassed that I believed in and bought into the reopening plan for a hot minute

It was never, ever about serving small business. The plan was about sacrificing citizens for the big business machine. And houston is HUGE business. Like hell abbott was going to let the people dictate what enormous companies in houston can do. 10 or so enormous companies outweigh 4 million people very easily. No, back to work, drones, die for halliburton and schlumberger and soon-to-be tesla. There are things more important than the lives of citizens.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly right. Well-said.

And there may well be places that do take it seriously! I know there are states that will do the right things. But with intra/inter-state travel, people flouting quarantine orders, it doesn't matter. Like with NY in the beginning/Mardi Gras/Spring Break, people will just re-spread it.

That border to the Canadian/US border better be closed for a loooooooooong time.
As it should be. Honestly I wouldn't blame Canada or any other country from just outright cutting out the US as a viable ally even when the threat of COVID is eradicated because this past half year let alone the past 4 years have shown we're willing to endanger ourselves and other nations for the purpose of protecting the egos and wallets of a cruel and vindictive political party & president. We honestly probably shouldn't be fully trusted as long as there is a possibility in this country that the GOP as it is currently potentially has a shot in the future of gaining positions of vital and critical nationwide and global decision-making. It's kind of a godsend that the virus has a mortality rate as low as it is currently because this country would be in shambles (well at least and exponentially larger amount of shambles than currently) and our surrounding neighbors would feel the ripple effects if we were dealing with a much much more deadly infection.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
People can't grow their hair or cut their own hair? It's not that hard. Who are they all trying to look good for? Don't you know covid beards,covid hairstyles, and covid no make up are what's hot now?
My scraggly covid facial hair still going strong. Probably gained 10-15 pounds. But no one sees me like this so yea who cares

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
As it should be. Honestly I wouldn't blame Canada or any other country from just outright cutting out the US as a viable ally even when the threat of COVID is eradicated because this past half year let alone the past 4 years have shown we're willing to endanger ourselves and other nations for the purpose of protecting the egos and wallets of a cruel and vindictive political party & president. We honestly probably shouldn't be fully trusted as long as there is a possibility in this country that the GOP as it is currently has a potential shot in the future of gaining positions of vital and critical nationwide and global decision-making. It's kind of a godsend that the virus has a mortality rate as low as it is currently because this country would be in shambles (well at least and exponentially larger amount of shambles than currently) and our surrounding neighbors would feel the ripple effects if we were dealing with a much much more deadly infection.
Yep, 100% on the money. I sincerely have lots of empathy for your frustrations and for all the tens of million that will suffer because of arrogance and anti-intellectualism running rampant. I hope for better in the future, hopefully under better leadership, but it's a long-road till November and beyond.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Wait...this still happened in Texas that has been open for longer, and yet idiots in my state of Wisconsin still pushed for reopening so fast? Fuck this country. Fuck it so much. Full of god damn morons! So even with evidence of things getting worse after reopening too soon, people are just gonna keep marching forward and getting in line to jump off this cliff, huh?

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I live in the DFW area and I shit you not, the parks by me are packed daily with people. I don't get it, I have been staying home all this time and we only leave the house for food or to spin stops for Pokémon Go. I haven't been in any physical area other than my vehicle and house, yet when I am headed home I see parks crammed with cars.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
Wait...this still happened in Texas that has been open for longer, and yet idiots in my state of Wisconsin still pushed for reopening so fast? Fuck this country. Fuck it so much. Full of god damn morons! So even with evidence of things getting worse after reopening too soon, people are just gonna keep marching forward and getting in line to jump off this cliff, huh?
Yeah that's basically the world we live in. Oil drops to sub 20 dollars a barrel so Exxon calls the 53 senators they keep on retainer and orders we reopen and start flying planes and driving cars and consuming sweet juicy fossil fuels again

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Part of the reason the efforts to flatten the curve have been poor is because you have a lot of people going "well, I'm going to be smart and get my hair cut BEFORE all the dumb masses" all at once. Literally everybody who goes out, thinks that they're the safe, smart ones, unlike everyone else.

You can only control yourself. Either you are doing your part, or you aren't.
Absolutely. I actually drove by the barber shop I use nearby when I was going out on a water run today to see if it was finally open and it was. I was overwhelmed with a desire to just head in telling myself it would just be 15-20 minutes at most and might not even be full of customers but resisted and just bought as much personal shave equipment as I could with the water so I could do my own hair and beard at home. It's really the resolve necessary to protect your own life and the lives of others.

Yep, 100% on the money. I sincerely have lots of empathy for your frustrations and for all the tens of million that will suffer because of arrogance and anti-intellectualism running rampant. I hope for better in the future, hopefully under better leadership, but it's a long-road till November and beyond.
Thanks. I've got empathy for you too because pockets of these backwards ideologues are popping up and sadly gaining power in small and large ways across the world sadly and all I can hope is that they're nipped in the bud before the nations get as bad as or worse than the US these days. Honestly even if I have no sanitizer or masks or anything else, November will be my exception to go out unprotected because I'm willing to risk it all to vote out this motherfucker in power. I can die happy as long as I know he and the GOP won't have access to run roughshod over current & future American citizens for at least the next four years and hopefully beyond until when the GOP has changed from a terrorist group to an actual humane political party or dissolves as an entity altogether. The world in general let alone the nation can't handle more damage from the inhuman, manipulative, unscientific and ignorant use and abuse of political power from conservatives.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in the DFW area and I shit you not, the parks by me are packed daily with people. I don't get it, I have been staying home all this time and we only leave the house for food or to spin stops for Pokémon Go. I haven't been in any physical area other than my vehicle and house, yet when I am headed home I see parks crammed with cars.

That's the most annoying part. The things that are open, aren't just open to limited or even their normal capacities. They're open to overflowing capacities, because people are treating being on lockdown like a vacation. Like, the number of people who went to galveston are MORE than normal, because people feel like they got nothing else to do.

It's so, so infuriating.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't be shocked by the bloodbath to come. The United States hasn't valued the lives of its citizens for a very, very long time - see the gun, tobacco, or healthcare industries and the laws that protect them, for starters.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is more effective at killing liberal new Yorkers than republican Texans

Its ravaging rural places that often voted for Trump and they're far worse off in a lot of ways than people in big cities as as access to proper medical care is often not nearly as easy and many are often already not financially well off, already in poor health and possibly drinking the conspiracy theory koolaid.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
dinner I saw:

A line at the street to get into the parking lot of Matt's El Rancho and a line of 50+ humans not social distancing without masks to eat shitty texmex.
That place is still open? I thought they were permanently closed. I loved going there when I was in college.

Not surprising in the least that cases are going up.
At least where I live in Pearland people are taking it seriously. I went to the HEB yesterday and I only saw two people without masks.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm taking bets. America won't completely lockdown again, except for maybe a few cities and liberal states, and we'll see over a million deaths by year's end. You'll have a situation where parts of the world will be coming out the other end of this, but will restrict travel to and from the us because it will be the biggest source of exported cases. It will probably take America twice as long as other countries to get over it. There will be an American vaccine, but because of its rushed nature, will either be ineffective or dangerous. By the time the international version comes around, there will be a push against it because it was either not American made, or was produced with the help of Europe or China.

PM if interested. I'll talk conditions there.
This definitely sounds like something that could happen in this timeline

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
just the start too, that spiking graph I expect will play out across so many states and so many threads get posted on here because of the spike we will see.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie Sanders asked FDC commissioner Stephen Hahn during his senate hearing if any future vaccine would be available for free to the public.

He said "it will be available to everyone who wants it."

Asked again, to clarify, "For free?"

"It will be available."

Asked a third time, "For free, at no cost to the patient?"

"No comment."

Refusing to make a vaccine like this free where it would be in virtually the entire rest of the world will without a doubt make it less effective.
This is a good way to prolong the global US travel ban

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
DFW here. Our office was supposed to reopen this week, but the boss extended our WFH at the last minute. I feel like it's getting harder and harder convince the higherups that we shouldn't be leaving our homes yet. Honestly I'll be (happily) shocked if our WFH goes into June.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This is a good way to prolong the global US travel ban
Yeah didn't even think of that angle. Make the vaccine hard to access means more symptomatic and asymptomatic not being treated efficiently means more risk that anyone from the US can enter another country and be patient zero for reccurance in those places. And on the other side of the equation, not many people from other ends of the world will want to come to the US because if they do catch it while here they either won't be able to or won't want to go back to their origin country and also might be beholden to America's healthcare standard of paying an insane amount out of pocket to be treated or vaccinated (Actually I'm not sure how healthcare works for visiting forgieners from countries with better healthcare but I don't imagine it being a totally easy process either way.)

pollo

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair if you're social distancing AND wearing a mask parks should be fine. It's indoors that's the problem

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
do we have information on infection rate from tests and hospitalization rate? Both are much better indicators than just reported case and death numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
Rainy day in Houston. I think about all those people circulating around outside are now going to be stuck inside for hours with other people. Then next week outside again. Rinse repeat.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The lockdown is not supposed to remain until a cure was found, it was supposed to be until we flatten the curve.

We need to ramp up anti-body tests, to know where we stand.

We're just moving the curve, not flattening it. Until we have extensive antibody and testing EVERYWHERE there is no reason to open up.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The curve was flattening. Then Easter happened and people couldn't help themselves. Now the Abbot thinks that's enough to open up and we haven't even met his own standards of daily testing. And all while Paxton is trying to kneecap the cities' attempts to social distance themselves. Don't get me started with the meat packaging outbreaks around Amarillo.

I fear COVID-19 will be here for a long time.

Shoutouts to Lina Hidalgo though. Rodeo Houston mess-up aside, she's helped the county do better than most. I douby Ed Emmett would have shut down the rodeo as soon as she did.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Yeah didn't even think of that angle. Make the vaccine hard to access means more symptomatic and asymptomatic not being treated efficiently means more risk that anyone from the US can enter another country and be patient zero for reccurance in those places. And on the other side of the equation, not many people from other ends of the world will want to come to the US because if they do catch it while here they either won't be able to or won't want to go back to their origin country and also might be beholden to America's healthcare standard of paying an insane amount out of pocket to be treated or vaccinated (Actually I'm not sure how healthcare works for visiting forgieners from countries with better healthcare but I don't imagine it being a totally easy process either way.)
I mean if someone is an America First Isolationist, this disease might be a god send for keeping people out, and bowing out of the global economy.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
They are testing less than their goal. When they opened up, they said they were doing so because they were going to increase testing to 30,000 per day (well below the actual CDC recommendation btw). They are only testing at 20,000 a day, 0.06% of the state population. At this rate, it'll take 20,000 days to test the entire state just once, or 56 years.

your OP seems to be mainly focused on new cases which I don't think is a great metric to look at. How much of an increase is 20k over what they were doing before?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
your OP seems to be mainly focused on new cases which I don't think is a great metric to look at. How much of an increase is 20k over what they were doing before?

exactly. a much better statistic to look at is infection rate which takes into account the number of tests. Its frustrating to have the media continue to make very elementary mistakes when reporting on numbers- if you test significantly more people, the amount of cases will most likely stay the same or possibly increase. More testing and more cases is often a good thing!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Buffalo, my March dental appointment has been pushed back twice already to July.

interesting to see the contrast.

Well our governer is force memeing hurd immunity and slow walking us out of the lock down. Yours is snuffing it out NOW apposed to long term constant pain. Unfourtunantly, the states that approach it like Texas and other states will likely cause second waves eventually in the smarter states. I hope they don't allow travelers from here to NY, and vice versa.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
That's the most annoying part. The things that are open, aren't just open to limited or even their normal capacities. They're open to overflowing capacities, because people are treating being on lockdown like a vacation. Like, the number of people who went to galveston are MORE than normal, because people feel like they got nothing else to do.

It's so, so infuriating.

Galveston overflowing is something I'll never understand. I can't count the amount of times I've been to Galveston, seen the beaches are busy, and then hopped on the ferry to go over to Bolivar where it's usually empty (especially the further away from the ferry terminal you get).

It looks like the wait to get onto Bolivar was long, but once people got in it was more than possible to stay 6 feet apart from others.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
exactly. a much better statistic to look at is infection rate which takes into account the number of tests. Its frustrating to have the media continue to make very elementary mistakes when reporting on numbers- if you test significantly more people, the amount of cases will most likely stay the same or possibly increase. More testing and more cases is often a good thing!

April 14th, there was 151,810 tests in texas, and there were 16,166 cases in Texas.

May 15th, there are 645,992 tests, and yet there are now 46,027 cases.

The rate of new infections is outpacing the rate of testing increases, by a lot.

www.houstonchronicle.com

Tracking COVID: Interactive maps, charts show spread of virus across Houston, rest of Texas

To keep you up-to-date with the ever-growing number of COVID-19 cases in Houston, Texas...

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Trump isn't smart enough to get the "cure can't be worse than the disease" expression right. He keeps saying "solution" instead of "cure".

If he had the cognitive functions to make Freudian slips, I'd think he was obsessed with thoughts of keeping the economy solvent and that was what was making him err.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
What are the excess deaths rates in TX? Wonder how many much Covid death is being ignored.

Anyhow, I don't think TX will have the speed in cases that NY did. Too much sprawl.

What is going to happen is a slow and steady rate over months.

You get to March 2021 and suddenly the U.S. has a million deaths. I hope not but at this pace it's going to happen.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
If he had the cognitive functions to make Freudian slips, I'd think he was obsessed with thoughts of keeping the economy solvent and that was what was making him err.

Honostly, I think right now they not only anticipate but want all the businesses to close so the markets continue to be consolidated with less competition. If 2008 was the consolidation of the bank industry, then this is the consolidation of the retail. They even gave the companies trillions and now have pulled the rug out from everyone else expecting people to be able to stand. Either go to work or lose everything. They said they have no interest in doing another bill. As always, the rich will get richer and gain more power. And the sad part is the dem party in congress hasn't been that good at trying to show the urgency of the economic implications this will cause. Or maybe they know and just don't care. Every bill that is put out is crafted by the lobbyist that only do what is best not only for their companies now but also in the future. And if they can snuff out small business, then they will push for that any day.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
April 14th, there was 151,810 tests in texas, and there were 16,166 cases in Texas.

May 15th, there are 645,992 tests, and yet there are now 46,027 cases.

The rate of new infections is outpacing the rate of testing increases, by a lot.

www.houstonchronicle.com

Tracking COVID: Interactive maps, charts show spread of virus across Houston, rest of Texas

To keep you up-to-date with the ever-growing number of COVID-19 cases in Houston, Texas...

I don't understand your conclusion. It went from 10.6% positive tests to 7.1% positive tests. That's a good thing.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly there was no avoiding this

I'm not getting any schadenfreude for being right, I'm just pissed.

Yeah, usually I'd love to see this kind of karmic justice play out but there are a lot of innocent people swept up in the idiocy of these people. Its just depressing.