• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
giphy.gif

It's almost like the virus hasn't been cured yet.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking something similar just now. Have been for a while. It's so disappointing, and maybe I'm a coward, but I don't think I want to be a part of this country in the future. I want to live in a country where people are taken care of.

Me too. Growing up I've been beaten with the sense of the american dream when I immigrated here and got my citizenship. Now I just wanna gtfo and go to Canada or any other country that actually wants to take care of its people.

At a time when a pandemic is roaring through the world, its fucking embarrassing that our government (Republicans and Trump really) is actively trying to kill even more of its people.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Shit. Stay strong, Texas. Full reopen was a bad call, and I tragically think this isn't even going to be the worst count through all of this for the state. I really goddamn hope I'm wrong, but that isn't how this virus has proven to work so far.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just going to get worse, that white woman who raised half a mil for opening her shop or whatever sent a message. Elon Musk paved the way for billionaire CEOs. Open your shit up anyway and if anyone wants to speak out, threaten to move to another state. Someone posted a thread awhile ago about people not having hobbies and people are reaching their limits. My fiancee literally knows nothing besides work and going out and has no real hobbies and I keep trying to tell her to get one but she's been Americanized.

we all gonna die but oh well. I was hoping it would be aliens to take me out but it's just some dumb virus because people literally don't know how to be a human being and want to just be drones. Basically everyone unemployed can get unemployment until July 31 and make more than they would actually be making so it's not even money.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They will admit nursing homes are actually being hit hardest, but won't mention which ones, which horrifies people with parents in Nursing homes. People have no idea if their parent's nursing homes are infected or not, that information is being intentionally suppressed.
this will most likely be the playbook in red states i feel.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
I'm honestly surprised at this result, I felt sure that they would simply test less to make sure the numbers didn't go up. Sad that the US is in such a shit position.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised at this result, I felt sure that they would simply test less to make sure the numbers didn't go up. Sad that the US is in such a shit position.

They are testing less than their goal. When they opened up, they said they were doing so because they were going to increase testing to 30,000 per day (well below the actual CDC recommendation btw). They are only testing at 20,000 a day, 0.06% of the state population. At this rate, it'll take 20,000 days to test the entire state just once, or 56 years.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
Really want Elon Musk to get out of my state. He can join his likeminded brethren in Texas and explain to them how he knows better.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
They are testing less than their goal. When they opened up, they said they were doing so because they were going to increase testing to 30,000 per day (well below the actual CDC recommendation btw). They are only testing at 20,000 a day, 0.06% of the state population. At this rate, it'll take 20,000 days to test the entire state just once, or 56 years.
Holy shit that is worse than I ever imagined. Really hope you guys pull together as a people over there cos you sure as hell cant rely on the government to do it right.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Terrible.

I also guarantee that in closed door meetings they consider "only" 58 deaths completely acceptable if it means everything is reopen and back to "normal".

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible.

I also guarantee that in closed door meetings they consider "only" 58 deaths completely acceptable if it means everything is reopen and back to "normal".

Not even closed door meetings, they say it openly to the public on radio talk shows:

"There are more important things than living."

"No one reached out to me and said, 'as a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?' And if that's the exchange, I'm all in."

"How do we know reopening businesses won't result in faster spread of COVID-19? Listen, the fact of the matter is, pretty much every scientific and medical report shows that whenever you have a reopening ... it actually will lead to an increase in spread. It's almost ipso facto ... The goal never has been to get COVID-19 transmission down to zero."

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Anyone with a brain saw this happening. Just reckless and now quarantine will go on longer.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Texan here and I've told my friend I'm pretty much not going to stop using my mask, buying sanitizer, or self-isolating when I can for the foreseeable future or until a vaccine is available. Thankfully at least here in Ft. Worth I've seen a lot more people wearing masks than I expected post re-open when I've been out. Still though I'm seeing once empty parking lots for shit like Hobby Lobby sadly being filled up. Not looking forward to my apartment neighbors potentially being victims in the coming recurrence.

Not even closed door meetings, they say it openly to the public on radio talk shows:

"There are more important things than living."

I always hated this quote in particular and it's telling that people never rarely follow that up with examples or even if they do, they don't actually make the case for how reasonable those examples are to risk death for. Anyone who says it is pretty much flashing a big "I'm selfish" sign. Maybe to you specifically there are "things more important than living", but what about your neighbor? What about your own family and your own children? Is it not important for them to value their own lives over fucking school or a bullshit 9-5 job? Are people not allowed to value their health more than sitting at the bar of an Applebee's for a crappy burger? Because at the end of the day, going out isn't just about your own health.

Medical experts have said time and time again, that even if you never present symptoms you can still have it and pass it to other people. You can pass it to your coworkers, or your kids and their classmates, or your mother & father or your siblings, or to the person who uses the gas pump after you when you already 20 miles down the road. But I guess it's worth potentially killing those people for the chance to go to the movies or sit at your work cubicle or get a haircut because "there are more important things than living". It's a platitude that sounds profound but in this specific situation, it's just fucking nonsense.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
science forever undefeated, idiots.

this is a probably a preview of what's to come for everyone.

the virus didn't magically go away 🤦‍♂️

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Texas has nearly 3 times as many people as Illinois and we're testing 30k and it still seems low.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
The lockdown is not supposed to remain until a cure was found, it was supposed to be until we flatten the curve.

We need to ramp up anti-body tests, to know where we stand.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Impatient, selfish idiots. Our government isn't making this easier, but I'm sure even if we had UBI/regular stimulus we'd still have people being selfish. The fact that this many people were this desperate to let people die so they could get their haircuts and eat at shitty chain restaurants in a little over a month is depressing.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
The lockdown is not supposed to remain until a cure was found, it was supposed to be until we flatten the curve.

We need to ramp up anti-body tests, to know where we stand.
definitely. we're supposed to go back to a new normal utilizing what we've learned in the past two months. distancing/hand washing/mask wearing plus lots of testing as you said and contact tracing. are we/they actually doing any of that though?

was anything actually learned here?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is appropriate language but it's kind of amazing to watch Darwin (evolution) in action. This is a disease that is far more effective at killing people who don't believe in science, or place other things higher than being alive....(and unfortunately a lot of people around them)

Maybe, just maybe, the population left behind will be a bit more willing to believe in the scientific method, and the usefulness of testing things and figuring things out!? Rather than believing in God and Country(TM) above everything else.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
my barber is only allowing 2 people in at a time, calling people who are waiting in their cars when its their turn, online check-in only, and both you and the barber wears a mask (gets weird when it comes to trimming sideburns though lol). idk I felt pretty safe about it all.

A mask isn't doing shit for protecting you or the barber at that distance/length of interaction.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
my barber is only allowing 2 people in at a time, calling people who are waiting in their cars when its their turn, online check-in only, and both you and the barber wears a mask (gets weird when it comes to trimming sideburns though lol). idk I felt pretty safe about it all.

so you didn't touch anything?

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
In Texas. And I've been watching the numbers closely to see what decision to make but it looks better to just stay at home. Then again this article came out:

abc13.com

Houston's top medical expert says more coronavirus cases doesn't mean it's getting worse

"I think that because of the lag in reporting, what we're looking at today, may not be reflecting what we think it is," Dr. David Persse explained.

Kind of misleading talking about hospital numbers vs cases.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
How is Texas GOP gonna spin this as a win?
"The Democrats' misinformation around Caronavirus is ridiculous! I had some doctor call me to say my mother had died. But clearly this was false, as I must have in actuality never had a mother, and all my memories of an equivalent figure must have been falsified and implanted in my head! Better luck next time, Libs!"

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Texas. And I've been watching the numbers closely to see what decision to make but it looks better to just stay at home. Then again this article came out:

abc13.com

Houston's top medical expert says more coronavirus cases doesn't mean it's getting worse

"I think that because of the lag in reporting, what we're looking at today, may not be reflecting what we think it is," Dr. David Persse explained.

Kind of misleading talking about hospital numbers vs cases.

that is abc 13 (houston's abc affiliate), they are talking about houston specifically, which I mentioned in the OP. Houston is the outlier, unlike all the other major cities in Texas, Houston hasn't spiked, merely plateaued.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is appropriate language but it's kind of amazing to watch Darwin (evolution) in action. This is a disease that is far more effective at killing people who don't believe in science, or place other things higher than being alive....(and unfortunately a lot of people around them)

Maybe, just maybe, the population left behind will be a bit more willing to believe in the scientific method, and the usefulness of testing things and figuring things out!? Rather than believing in God and Country(TM) above everything else.
They are more likely to believe they were chosen by God to have survived.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Texas is one of the states that will be testing all nursing home residents and employees next week. I might be wrong. I am a nursing home administrator in Nebraska and they are working towards getting to that point, but are not there yet. Nebraska has been piss-poor for testing lately, but is finally starting to do a little better. Overall is still beautiful though, especially with a huge amount of nursing homes in my city having positive cases Skyrocket over the last week

They say they will, but then again they also said they'd be testing 30,000 people a day in Texas, and in the last 16 days, they've missed that number 13 of them. There are over 80,000 nursing home residents in Texas, with an additional 3000 or so staff. So to accomplish this, they'd realistically need to devote more than four times the amount of daily testing that they currently are providing to the entire state (roughly 20,000 a day), multiple times because testing a nursing home once isn't enough.

In other words, it's nice to say things. There is no way they can accomplish it, though.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Don't they have counties that refuse to wear mask? NJ isn't open but we are practicing social distancing and every grocery has No Mask, No Service.. these rules should be in place until a vaccine is found..

Oct 26, 2017

You could look at the death rate in swing states if you want to get some idea...

I'm going to assume there are more Republicans taking minimal precautions in those states, as well as more Republicans who are elderly.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
definitely. we're supposed to go back to a new normal utilizing what we've learned in the past two months. distancing/hand washing/mask wearing plus lots of testing as you said and contact tracing. are we/they actually doing any of that though?

was anything actually learned here?
That's the thing. The Trump Administration and a multitude of GOP politicians have never taken this seriously and their constituents haven't either. It'd be one thing if we were trying to reopen based on a few months of actually staunchly sticking to medical guidelines from experts but it's been half baked all over the US. We've had months of Trump and the GOP trying to equivocate this virus with the seasonal flu or car accidents, manipulating and hiding the numbers to minimize the impact and retaliating against those unwilling to follow that mandate, contradiction of medical experts on the national stage literal seconds after the experts gave advice, denying or limiting access resources necessary for medical professionals and average citizens to treat or prevent the disease, enabling and perpetuating conspiracy theories that riled up anti-lockdown protests that assembled hundreds of people actively going against safety guidelines and created a culture of multiple business owners forcing workers back or keeping their doors open in defiance of state ordinances under the guise of "protecting their freedom", stymieing financial aid to Americans to provide a net of certainty and comfort necessary to make staying at home valuable and viable for millions of Americans, etc. We could have learned something but the 1st half of the year was all about purposefully and willfully preventing learning anything or even that there was an issue worth addressing in the first place let alone learning from. The lockdown was supposed to remain until we've flattened the curve, correct. But the reason Bright, Fauci and other medical professionals are testifying and basically begging half of the country to take this seriously is because our efforts to flatten the curve as a nation have been half-assed at best for the past ~6-7 months.