• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

www.statesman.com

Texas continues to see large increases in new coronavirus infections

For the eighth day in a row, Texas has recorded more than 1,000 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, the disease linked to the coronavirus, indicating that infections are not easing even as the state con…

www.houstonchronicle.com

Texas sees deadliest COVID-19 day so far with 58 deaths

DALLAS (AP) — Texas saw its deadliest COVID-19 day of the coronavirus pandemic so far, with state officials reporting 58 deaths during a time span between Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, according to state tabulations. In Corpus Christi, 63 workers of the 747 employees, contractors and vendors...

Some stats I've been reading over the past few days:

-Yesterday was the deadliest Covid-19 day so far, 58 deaths in one day
-Yesterday was also the 13th day in a row of plus-900, eighth day in a row of plus-1000, fourth day in row of plus-1300 new covid 19 cases in Texas
-Number of daily confirmed cases is increasing at rapid pace. Daily confirmed cases was over 1400 on Thursday.
-Dallas-area has reported 8000 new cases since reopening, Houston-area 6000 new cases
-Texas still lags behind much of the country in testing.
-Texas, on May 11th, matched the single worst day for new-covid cases going back to April 10th. On april 10th, there were 0 lock down restrictions. On may 11th, much of the state was locked down, with businesses restricted to supposedly 25% capcity, meaning May 11th was a much worse day per capita of shoppers:

oF9QFYB.png

Sorta-positive note: Harris County (Houston) has not experienced a spike, rather it has plateued since reopening. All the other major counties have received a spike. No major county has received a decline in cases.

Overall, Covid-19 cases are up 5% and deaths are up 3%, both very large spikes for one of the most populous states in the nation.

Fuck Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick and John Cornyn and Ted Cruz.

EDIT: To the people saying the increase in cases is due to the increase in testing:

Let's put some further numbers to this, to show how testing increased throughout april, yet cases per day decreased, we'll start on april 10th, the day after the previous worst day in texas. I'm going by 3 days each jump because i don't want to be counting every day:

april 10th to april 13th: 17,308 tests done during this span (totals: 133,226-115,918)
april 13th to april 16th: 22,321 tests done (totals: 155,547-133,226)
april 16th to april 19th: 27,163 tests done (totals: 182,710 - 155,547)

april 19th to april 22nd: 34,073 tests done (totals: 216,783 - 182,710)
april 22nd to april 25th: 46,033 tests done (totals: 262,816 - 216,783)
trend continues throughout may

the first major protests in Texas began on april 18th, 19th, and 20th in austin dallas and houston, then again on the 23rd, then again on the 25th, to account for the pre-may rise. Every day in April, the number of daily tests done increased, yet the daily cases count went down. As soon as people started going out en-mass, beginning with the protests and extending with the reopening, the daily cases count started going up as testing increased.

If, as people were saying, the increase in texas cases was simply because testing was increasing, it would have shown in April, yet it did not. The trend reversed as soon as people started congregating, exactly as everyone was told.

Keep in mind, these are done in groups of 3 day totals, just to reduce the work on my part. The trend is still visible, however.

Here is the daily cases chart color coordinated to the above:

jB4ujBB.png

The blue is during the lock down in april (again, as testing increased). The orange is the week when protests started. The green is the time period after the reopening.

WHY THESE DATES MATTER: April 10th, the highest single day total in Texas, came approximately 2 weeks after Greg Abbott issued a soft shelter-in-place warning, which began on March 25th. The period between April 10th to April 22, which is the only dip in the current trend of daily cases, also represents a two week period. May 1st, Texas reopened. May 10th, roughly 2 weeks after the protests began and reopening the state, we've basically matched April 10th in new cases. The corona virus can take up to two weeks for symptoms to display, hence the importance of these multiple two-week windows.

Again, during all this time, testing has steadily increased. Yet the trend reversed. The case count going up is NOT because testing is increasing. The increase in cases has not correlated to the increase in testing, it's a different curve that correlates to the increase in public activity.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something something the economy something something cure can't be worse than the disease something something but mah freedoms

Meanwhile, California is also opening up way too early. We'll see what it looks like here in 2-3 weeks...

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Got my teeth cleaned and a hair cut today. I figured now is the best time before the real pain begins.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
As these numbers come to light they're trying to hide or muddy the statistics that aren't favorable in so many places across the country. This is getting out of hand.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Truly there was no avoiding this

I'm not getting any schadenfreude for being right, I'm just pissed.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How long until they close again, saying nobody saw this coming how could we have known this is obama's fault somehow

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As these numbers come to light they're trying to hide or muddy the statistics that aren't favorable in so many places across the country. This is getting out of hand.

They will admit nursing homes are actually being hit hardest, but won't mention which ones, which horrifies people with parents in Nursing homes. People have no idea if their parent's nursing homes are infected or not, that information is being intentionally suppressed.

Feb 29, 2020
I have family living there =(
While I understand that the economy must not stop, if they are going to lighten the lockdown, at least do it with some sense, or we'll have a lot of infection cases and deaths...

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
They will admit nursing homes are actually being hit hardest, but won't mention which ones, which horrifies people with parents in Nursing homes. People have no idea if their parent's nursing homes are infected or not, that information is being intentionally suppressed.
Yo WTF!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet a lot of men will be rocking buzz cuts in the near future

I'm known for going 7-9 months without a hair cut, as I just let it grow out. It looks like shit on hot and humid days, but by then we will be getting into winter again and Maybe I can last. They decided to make the summer a do or die for us here. It either has to go away totally or we are never going to have a flattened curve, and it will just keep going up or staying steady until winter, where it will just get that much worse.

At least people are wearing masks, at least around where I live. About 75% are, though, with something this easily spread that might not be enough.

To top it off, our governer basically is over ruling all county rules.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
At least their grandkids will have an economy to be proud of, right?

Grandpa died so you could live, Timmy.
/s

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
and to think my brother in law was telling my parents last week to go visit because "texas was open again" , idiot

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Texas is one of the states that will be testing all nursing home residents and employees next week. I might be wrong. I am a nursing home administrator in Nebraska and they are working towards getting to that point, but are not there yet. Nebraska has been piss-poor for testing lately, but is finally starting to do a little better. Overall is still beautiful though, especially with a huge amount of nursing homes in my city having positive cases Skyrocket over the last week

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder who's going to be the first state to go back to closed status.
Honestly, I fear none. They will ram through this shit and even the states who try to be logical will get shit on by asshole politicians and "reopeners" who are under the feet of the Head Asshole who wants people to die just so the rich get richer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm known for going 7-9 months without a hair cut, as I just let it grow out. It looks like shit on hot and humid days, but by then we will be getting into winter again and Maybe I can last. They decided to make the summer a do or die for us here. It either has to go away totally or we are never going to have a flattened curve, and it will just keep going up or staying steady until winter, where it will just get that much worse.

At least people are wearing masks, at least around where I live. About 75% are, though, with something this easily spread that might not be enough.

www.usatoday.com

New York barber 'illicitly' giving haircuts for weeks tested positive for COVID-19

A barber who has been providing haircuts at a barbershop in the Hudson Valley tested positive this week for COVID-19.

Additionally, you have no idea if someone right before you came went in without a mask. Going to get a haircut right now was a very poor decision, and not at all correct in your claim that "this is the best time." Literally, there has never been a worst time in Texas and the stats back it up. Now, in retrospect in the future, this might not be the worst time because things will assuredly get worse, but right now, this is in the most literal sense the worst time to get a haircut or have someone messing with your teeth.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe it's only been two weeks. We only go out for necessities and are masked up. I did have to drive in to my office, was a bit surreal still. My office is basically wfh still for at least another week and then it will be whatever you feel comfortable with.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Trump and the guy who said he'd die for the economy are all over this.

Oct 28, 2018
To be fair, I don't know if you can read too much into the fact that the number of infections have been rising. Naturally as testing increases, so does the number of confirmed cases. The real question is whether hospitalizations and ICU entries have started to spike. The article seemed to state that those numbers haven't increased, and have essentially stayed level.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get this line of thinking at all.

Neither of these things are essential, the best time would have been whenever this is more under control. You may have exposed yourself already.

I work in a building that is reopening on Monday. It had been open through out all this, but closed to the public. I did my best today to minimize my chance, and luckily face masks are required by customers in the hair cutting place. Maybe I f'd up, but I guess if I get sick I can finally have some time off. The last 2 months has been stressful as my work load basically doubled because I am tasks to help get information out on this whole situation. I'm tired. I already got 2 weeks of work planned out that are time demanding.

This is not at all wise, and this is the WORST time to do this.

Well, the area I live in, has had relitively low confirmed cases, with a drive through testing center within a few miles. With the governer force memeing reopening, I figured that it is the best time in consideration with the future outlook I see.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Trump and the guy who said he'd die for the economy are all over this.

The guy who said he'd die for the economy is the Lt. Governor of Texas. He also said "there are things more important than living."

Last week, the Governor, Greg Abbott, had a phone call leaked where he laid out that he's well aware the number of people who will die, and is ok with it:

kvia.com

Texas governor admits reopening state will lead to increased infections in leaked audio - KVIA

thedailybeast · Gov. Greg Abbott Speaks About COVID-19 AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott acknowledges that coronavirus cases will undoubtedly increase as a result of reopening the state but added that he did not consider it a "decisive" factor in making his determination to proceed. That's...

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, I don't know if you can read too much into the fact that the number of infections have been rising. Naturally as testing increases, so does the number of confirmed cases. The real question is whether hospitalizations and ICU entries have started to spike. The article seemed to state that those numbers haven't increased, and have essentially stayed level.
That's the bigger issue, it gives assholes ammo that the media is spreading fear and they have already started to intimidate people, from actual nurses to people just covering the news.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Winter is going to brutal, and our economy based on consumerism is incompatible with pandemics.

The stock market is detached and disconnected from reality. Shit makes no sense.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who would of ever expected this when they rushed a reopening? I'm so thankful I'm still working from home. If I drive around my city every place is packed which is absolutely ridiculous, especially the restaurants.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
200.gif

I'm guessing you missed the thread about the infected barber

my barber is only allowing 2 people in at a time, calling people who are waiting in their cars when its their turn, online check-in only, and both you and the barber wears a mask (gets weird when it comes to trimming sideburns though lol). idk I felt pretty safe about it all.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Im prepared to die for the kids. Theres too much people in this world. dwightplague.mp4"

Can we reset the world like on a console or pc?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Something something the economy something something cure can't be worse than the disease something something but mah freedoms

Meanwhile, California is also opening up way too early. We'll see what it looks like here in 2-3 weeks...

California is at least only slowly opening up the least infected counties. It's not great but it's way better than what Texas is doing.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
That trend line is real.

That hospital capacity is ~50% right now is making these politicians foolish.

Honestly, can't say this is along political lines when parks and areas are filled to the brim here in Austin, even before the lockdown was lifted.

People simply don't seem to care or take action unless the consequences are immediate. So until lots of people start dying in Texas and hospitals are overwhelmed, few will take this seriously.

NYC 8.5m population with 22,000 deaths so far. I'd say Texas with 29m population, of which 17m reside in Dallas/Austin/San Antonio/Houston could see 40-50k deaths within 2-3 months.. we're only at 1,200 deaths today.

Stay safe folks.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
my barber is only allowing 2 people in at a time, calling people who are waiting in their cars when its their turn, online check-in only, and both you and the barber wears a mask (gets weird when it comes to trimming sideburns though lol). idk I felt pretty safe about it all.

The one I went to had manditory check in, only a few people in the store at once, and you had to wear face masks to get service. Even during the hair cut. I work long sleeps and touched nothing. The hair cutter had a face mask on also. There is always a chance I got it. If you live with other people or cannot maintain social distancing don't do what I do. I live alone and have no friends and co workers never talk to me at work. If I get it, it will likely be because they are opening the doors to the public on monday, and everyone that enters the building will be stopping at once window area.

If I f'd up and get sick within 3-5 days, I will post that I f'd up and tell everyone what a bad mistake I made.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I'm taking bets. America won't completely lockdown again, except for maybe a few cities and liberal states, and we'll see over a million deaths by year's end. You'll have a situation where parts of the world will be coming out the other end of this, but will restrict travel to and from the us because it will be the biggest source of exported cases. It will probably take America twice as long as other countries to get over it. There will be an American vaccine, but because of its rushed nature, will either be ineffective or dangerous. By the time the international version comes around, there will be a push against it because it was either not American made, or was produced with the help of Europe or China.

PM if interested. I'll talk conditions there.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Right-wing media keeps praising these people for opening up too. It makes me sick.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They don't give a shit how many people die. And the truth is a lot of people don't give a shit until it impacts them.

America is so fucked. It has given up on the virus. You'll still have some states at least trying to do something, but unless they ban travel from some of these other states, the virus will return.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
They don't give a shit how many people die. And the truth is a lot of people don't give a shit until it impacts them.

America is so fucked. It has given up on the virus. You'll still have some states at least trying to do something, but unless they ban travel from some of these other states, the virus will return.
It seems that is always the case.