• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. Most people who play is this type of games are male. Plus, most people play their gender in game.

1080peace

Oct 27, 2017
I went for Alexios as well thanks to the romance options. If people won't give me some gay progagonists, then I'll do it myself, damnit.
This.

Alexios is an amazing protagonist that fitted the tone perfectly. Didn't care about Kassandra that much, which is a first because I tend to skew female whenever I get the choice. (Unless of course there are gay romance options)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I would read into this if they hadn't put him solely on the box art, or focused on him in the pre-launch marketing.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
I think someone from Ubisoft said in an AMA that Kassandra is the protagonist in the AC Odyssey novelization, which made her officially canon. I might be wrong though, I'm not a hundred percent sure.
There was a video recently that show the character actors walking around talking about Odyssey showing Kassandra's shirt on the back saying "Cannon." Probably, a running joke.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the writing in any form different for the characters? Has Alexios different character than Kassandra ?

They're different, yes. The plot is the same of course but I would say the individual characterization is generally the same as far as their motivations and interaction with the plot , but different enough that it doesn't just feel like reading the exact same dialogue in a different voice.

This is a situation where different actors with different delivery lead to a different read on certain characters. That said it's pretty much the same experience though.

Last edited:

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this but is playing as Kassandra kinda like playing the female main character in Sunset Overdrive? which is just an overall better time.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Genuine question to the people saying things along the lines of "Shame, they missed out on an awesome character": Aren't they more or less exactly the same character? Don't they do and say exactly the same things? Same romance options? Same storyline and character relationships? Is it just the voice acting that makes Kassandra better, or am I missing something?

P.S. I haven't actually played the game yet, I'm just curious.

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question to the people saying things along the lines of "Shame, they missed out on an awesome character": Aren't they more or less exactly the same character? Don't they do and say exactly the same things? Same romance options? Same storyline and character relationships? Is it just the voice acting that makes Kassandra better, or am I missing something?

The voice acting goes a long way in this instance. Alexios isn't bad per se, it's just a very specific type of delivery. Hammy, theatrical.

I think her character also works better as the protagonist. There's a reason for that that I can't say without spoiling something.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

They are the exact same character gender swaped. The difference is the female V.A. is much better.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Some of the comments towards the Alexios path from this game since day 1 has been absolutely annoying, and this is coming from someone who chosed Kass.

Yeah it sucks that the marketing was more Alexios focused and I hope Ubi does better in the next game, but it's not a "wrong way to play" to choose Alexios. His delivery is good, the character is basically the same, and people tend to forget that not everyone plays in English.

Yes, people are completely ignoring the fact that the voice overs could be different depending on the languague one plays the game on PC at least there were voice overs for 7 different languagues.

But then again it seems Kassandra might be the canon one, so yeah.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Sad, but objectively a good number.

The worst part is not even that Alexios is a male, but that the actor is BAAAD, meanwhile Kass' performance is amazing.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if they'd had analytics for games like Turok 3 and Resident Evil back in the day. I wonder what the Leon/Claire ratio in RE2 Remake will be considering most players won't even finish the game as a single character, much less with both.

Regarding Odyssey, 1/3 isn't bad. But I'm old school. Back in my day *shakes cane* that whole "I don't want to play as a girl" thing wasn't as prominent. I feel it arose in the wake of the huge dudebro influx in the mid to late 2000s. It's kinda unfortunate that a choice that was pleasantly unremarkable in the 90s now has so much baggage attached to it.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I mean...I guess that it comes down to preference but you know a lot of those that didnt choose Kassandra are probably super insecure about playing as a woman in a game.
Anyway, I don't regret my choice Kassandra is one of my favorite main characters ever. I even tried, in a seperate profile, to play Alexios and it was such a downgrade.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Personality wise are they that different ? Or is it just the voice acting which is really different? I liked Alexios. He's cool but judging by this thread you'd think his garbage?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played it yet. Is Alexios the default on the character select? Some people are very lazy.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
They were surprised? A great deal of the actual media that the mainstream saw for this game had Alexios as the main. And note, I'm not talking about the stuff shown at game shows and what not.

Alexios is also the model on the cover (apparently Kassandra is on the reverse).

6707585-l.jpg

The main CE was this:

Pantheon.jpg

They had a stand alone statue for Kassandra and eventually offered it with a game bundle.

After all that Ubisoft is still like, "we were surprised!"

giphy.gif

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So, we get an outstanding woman in a game, something that is quite rare, and she just gets ignored by the majority of players?

Next time Ubisoft, just make her the only option. I don't care how "scary" that is to your marketing.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I played Alexios, didn't really mind the VA, it's a power fantasy anyway. Not too bothered.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Alexilos actor gave a better performance. At least the 6 hours I played of him.

But Kass is my wheyfu.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually an incredible result for the female character. I would have guessed less than a quarter.

I'm waiting for the DLC to drop before I dive into Odyssey, but I plan on rolling with Alexios too. It's great that gender choice worked out for them and is something they're committed to for the series; it's a fair amount of extra work, but it seems to have been well received.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played more than 30 minutes yet, it's in my backlog.

But I thought I read that the written dialog is the same?? Is that true or not?

If true, then what difference does it make, it's the same thing. And no, delivery does not matter much to me

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
How is this a bad thing?

Ubisoft was rightfully mocked for saying it was hard to make female characters a few years ago and now they have one that's well done that 1/3 of players chose. You can be gay, straight, man, or woman in the game. Options are bad now I guess.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the big deal. The game is the same, gameplay and story and missions are the same. It's not like it's a completely different experience with one character or the other. It hardly makes any difference in the grand scheme of thing. You're still doing the same content. But again this doesn't surprise me coming from this overly extreme forum.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft was rightfully mocked for saying it was hard to make female characters a few years ago.
No, they weren't. Their statement for AC: Unity was:

"It was on our feature list until not too long ago, but it's a question of focus and production. So we wanted to make sure we had the best experience for the character. A female character means that you have to redo a lot of animation, a lot of costumes. It would have doubled the work on those things… And I mean it's something the team really wanted, but we had to make a decision. It's unfortunate, but it's a reality of game development."

They were mocked by people who didn't understand scope creep or project management. Assassin's Creed: Unity launched in a SHOCKING state, but you know what the game really needed? Changing the co-op so instead of having one character (Arno), it has several, with updated cutscenes, and reworking + QA for every single costume and animation in the game. Yea, that seems super simple. It's not like the game was falling to pieces in the months leading up to release. It's not like Ubi had to scrap heaps of content because this game was badly off the rails.

The way Ubisoft were attacked for NOT adding scope creep to a game that was a train wreck at launch reveals more than anything else how most gamers do not understand how games are made. Maybe people had an excuse pre-release. But once people saw how badly off the rails AC: Unity was when it released, one would think that they'd click that "Oh, so that's why it didn't make the cut. That's why this game's story is a mess." But no, they went right on complaining. It's no different to when developers patch a game post-release, and gamers whine about how "Why didn't you fix XYZ?" Because it wasn't high enough priority. Tasks have to be prioritized. There were far more critical things they were working every day to fix and/or implement.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, we get an outstanding woman in a game, something that is quite rare, and she just gets ignored by the majority of players?

Next time Ubisoft, just make her the only option. I don't care how "scary" that is to your marketing.

Why should Ubisoft do that if most people want to play as a male in AC? Giving the choice to the players wasn't a bad idea and it is everyones own decision which character they choose, i can't even understand why that makes some people upset.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 80 hours in and Kassandra is incredibly charming. She's great. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume most of the playerbase of ACO is male, so the two-thirds split isn't surprising to me.