• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Residents in the area were instructed to take shelter in their safe place as the active tornado warning wasn't lifted until 6:15 p.m. local time. The dual tornado traveled over 100 miles from Taylorsville to Soso. According to WAPT reporter Christana Kay, there have already been three reported deaths from the storms. One victim was located in Walthall County while two deaths came in from Lawrence Country – the first two counties that the tornados hit on April 12.

heavy.com

WATCH: Two Massive Tornados Touch Down In Southern Mississippi

Southern Mississippi was ravaged with dual tornado storms on April 12, 2020.

Stay safe out there, Mississippi-Era. Seems like 2020's bad luck is going into overdrive.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I love on Ontario and fear tornados when they are extremely seldom here.

I couldn't imagine living in these places where a dual tornado seems normal.

Scary stuff

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
At least we have had multiple days of warning to prepare for the storms. It really is amazing how well they were able to predict them days ahead of time. My family had prepped an emergency shelter room in our basement as the storms as supposed to hit our area around midnight.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel for people that are dealing with tornados (and hurricanes later this year) on top of the pandemic.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Picture of tornado from Yazoo City - not the EF 4 or 5 that is on the ground in south MS

www.wlbt.com

14 killed, several injured in deadly Easter Sunday storms

One vacant structure damaged received damage, several trees have fallen and power lines are down.

7ae870b0-c619-4360-83a4-e5b216670894-1586734580.jpeg

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
damn that looks insane, so much damage..
I have to confess tho, I misread tornado as tomato .. and I was very confused for a second or two

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Yeah, I feel for people that are dealing with tornados (and hurricanes later this year) on top of the pandemic.
I'm pretty concerned about hurricanes since the way we deal with those are like...the opposite of sheltering in place. Really gotta hope a major hurricane and a coronavirus spike don't overlap.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
God you are so fucked in an F4 or 5 tornado comes at you. And there is nothing you can do to prepare for one other than move to a place that doesn't have them.

I have a basement but we have a walkout and I wouldn't trust that beyond anything more than a F2.

Oct 30, 2017
God you are so fucked in an F4 or 5 tornado comes at you. And there is nothing you can do to prepare for one other than move to a place that doesn't have them.

I have a basement but we have a walkout and I wouldn't trust that beyond anything more than a F2.

My house has no basement, we just have a center bathroom under some stairs that's big enough for like two people. An F4 or 5 hits out neighborhood? We are gone. That's it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My house has no basement, we just have a center bathroom under some stairs that's big enough for like two people. An F4 or 5 hits out neighborhood? We are gone. That's it.
Do you live in Texas? Mw wife's brother lives in Dallas and I have an uncle in Houston and I always tell them to just build an underrground storm shelter in case a tornado ever comes. But they never take it seriously.

Have you ever considered the same? Honestly the government should subsidize that shit if its too expensive to get done privately.

Oct 30, 2017
Do you live in Texas? Mw wife's brother lives in Dallas and I have an uncle in Houston and I always tell them to just build an underrground storm shelter in case a tornado ever comes. But they never take it seriously.

Have you ever considered the same? Honestly the government should subsidize that shit if its too expensive to get done privately.

I wish the government would. We'd have to blast to even do it. Dig down more than an inch or two and the ground is solid rock.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the government would. We'd have to blast to even do it. Dig down more than an inch or two and the ground is solid rock.
In the northeast almost all houses have basements. But that definitely does not seem the norm for the rest of the country.

But tornados are relatively rare in the NE. It should be mandatory for places that are hit often.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi and Alabama guys, stay safe. The night's not over yet.

This is the worst I've seen in Alabama so far. That was one persistent supercell, it came in from Mississippi and kept popping off tornadoes all the way into Georgia.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

tornados in Houston are more rare, though every once and a while there are some bad storms. It's just not really amajor concern whereas hurricanes and flooding are always on the mind

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019

Underground shelters aren't an option here in Houston. Floods too much. I think there's one house in the city that has a basement, and that was a pretty expensive undertaking for the owner. Up near Dallas would be much easier. My dad lives about an hour south and he has one.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that tornado siren is something i hope i never hear in person for a real live situation.

Eerie.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
In the northeast almost all houses have basements. But that definitely does not seem the norm for the rest of the country.

But tornados are relatively rare in the NE. It should be mandatory for places that are hit often.

I moved from MS to Boston last year, and I noticed most places had basements.

The thing is, a lot of the South is flood country. In my hometown, maybe a tenth of homes could have a basement that wouldn't flood in a heavy rain. Usually you have underground shelters for the community in a place that doesn't flood easily, but you gotta get to them. And if they're not super maintained, they can be snake pits.

Growing up, we had an interior closet that we'd hide in and drag a mattress over our heads. Shit sucked, and I don't miss it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
My mom and my grandma are in southern Tennessee and the storm is pretty bad. Apparently the first wave has passed now but the wind is going to pick up soon. Their basement is flooding a bit too. Really hoping it doesn't get worse for them.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Carbon Hill, AL got hit. Tornado literally dropped on top of them, the warning didn't get out until it was past there.

My brother and his family live there, luckily they're OK.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Underground shelters aren't an option here in Houston. Floods too much. I think there's one house in the city that has a basement, and that was a pretty expensive undertaking for the owner. Up near Dallas would be much easier. My dad lives about an hour south and he has one.
I moved from MS to Boston last year, and I noticed most places had basements.

The thing is, a lot of the South is flood country. In my hometown, maybe a tenth of homes could have a basement that wouldn't flood in a heavy rain. Usually you have underground shelters for the community in a place that doesn't flood easily, but you gotta get to them. And if they're not super maintained, they can be snake pits.

Growing up, we had an interior closet that we'd hide in and drag a mattress over our heads. Shit sucked, and I don't miss it.
Thats crazy.

What is the plan then if you are building a home in these areas that can't have underground shelters but are tornado prone?

There has to be a better solution than hiding in a closet or bathroom with a mattress. Growing up in the NE I always heard about people in mobile homes doing that (before they made it mandatory that they had to have a shelter) so I would have thought they had something better down south and in tornado alley.

Oct 27, 2017
Thats crazy.

What is the plan then if you are building a home in these areas that can't have underground shelters but are tornado prone?

There has to be a better solution than hiding in a closet or bathroom with a mattress. Growing up in the NE I always heard about people in mobile homes doing that (before they made it mandatory that they had to have a shelter) so I would have thought they had something better down south and in tornado alley.

My family always did the mattress thing. It was the best we could do. Most older houses didn't have anywhere good to hide other than as close to the center of the house as you could get.

When my college got hit and it destroyed the dorms they took the opportunity to build the new ones with bathrooms that doubled as reinforced tornado shelters. They built them to hurricane specs, not perfect for a tornado, but a heck of a lot better than just hiding in the bathrooms like we were told to do in the old ones.

Edit:
My grandpa installed an underground shelter, but due to the high water table it was only kind of underground. They built a dirt mound around the top half. That's probably the best solution. However they found they often couldn't use it, because the storm would come in so fast they didn't want to risk running out into the yard to get to it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My family always did the mattress thing. It was the best we could do. Most older houses didn't have anywhere good to hide other than as close to the center of the house as you could get.

When my college got hit and it destroyed the dorms they took the opportunity to build the new ones with bathrooms that doubled as reinforced tornado shelters. They built them to hurricane specs, not perfect for a tornado, but a heck of a lot better than just hiding in the bathrooms like we were told to do in the old ones.
Fucking America.

Most developments don't even have side walks or street lights. And now I find out that so many poor bastards don't have some kind of shelter close by, which sounds like it should be mandatory.

Instead we have prayers and mattresses to save us from these nightmares.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking America.

Most developments don't even have side walks or street lights. And now I find out that so many poor bastards don't have some kind of shelter close by, which sounds like it should be mandatory.

Instead we have prayers and mattresses to save us from these nightmares.

Honestly I don't know what the best solution would be. Community shelters could be good, but in a storm they'd be risky to get to. Maybe the solution is to mandate that new construction have a shelter room of some sort. That wouldn't help people in older houses though, and a lot of these rural towns have very little new construction. Sadly a lot of times a shelter wouldn't even help. It's not uncommon for these things to hit during the night while people are asleep. If you don't get woken up by the sirens then you're out of luck. Phones having weather alert alarms has helped a ton with that though.

Personally, my solution was to move out of the area. People here in Kansas City think they get a lot of tornadoes, but they don't get anywhere near as many as I used to deal with in the South. I still worry about my family a lot though.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
My brother in Tennessee just texted me and said they were hit by a tornado on their way home. Near Chattanooga. He's okay but he was on his way home so unsure of his house...

Stay safe everyone :(

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't know what the best solution would be. Community shelters could be good, but in a storm they'd be risky to get to. Maybe the solution is to mandate that new construction have a shelter room of some sort. That wouldn't help people in older houses though, and a lot of these rural towns have very little new construction. Sadly a lot of times a shelter wouldn't even help. It's not uncommon for these things to hit during the night while people are asleep. If you don't get woken up by the sirens then you're out of luck. Phones having weather alert alarms has helped a ton with that though.

Personally, my solution was to move out of the area. People here in Kansas City think they get a lot of tornadoes, but they don't get anywhere near as many as I used to deal with in the South. I still worry about my family a lot though.
I was around for a smaller tornado once in college. And that was a nothing tornado that you would probably be safe from just inside most houses. But it was still scary AF. I can't imagine and don't want to ever see some mega EF4 or 5.

I don't fuck around with them anymore. I can totally understand moving away.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Thats crazy.

I looked into it a little just now as a Dallas area homeowner on why basements aren't common in that area. Apparently it's due to the type of soil present and it significantly contracts and expands when's its wet and dry. Which creates forces that requires significant engineering to address.

Whereas in the north, they dig up to get below the freeze line and since they're already down there, it makes more sense for them to add a basement at a much cheaper rate.

Where in North Texas, it would likely significantly increase home construction costs. More people are apparently asking for them though. Thing is there are so many existing homes that will never have them.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
5duRHFH.png

My mom and my grandma are right along the path of this madness for the rest of the night.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

Potentially. These tornadoes contained strength that's been estimated to potentially be in the EF4-EF5 category. The rating itself though all depends on what damage is caused. They usually don't maintain those winds nonstop, and the most powerful components of these huge wedge tornadoes are the sub-vortices (aka mini tornadoes within the bigger tornado). That's why you'll have parts of the damage path with more destruction than other areas close by.

There's actually been quite a few tornadoes over the years that produced winds that violent but were mainly limited to primarily unpopulated areas as well, so their final rating ends up being lower than what the actual winds produced. An example being the El Reno tornado from 2013 which was rated EF3, but produced 300+ mph winds.

So we'll have to see what the damage comes to. However, what we know is that there were two violent tornadoes, in succession and occurring as the same time, that followed close to the same path.

Sorry if I seem like I'm lecturing lol, I've just always been interested in weather and like talking about it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
F4-F5 tornados just seem unstoppable.

Sad to see those homes in OP ripped to shreds. What home can survive that sort of force?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw that a tornado might have ripped through the Chattanooga area. You and your family OK?

Yeah, I don't live out there with them but I've been on and off the phone with my mom all night. Their basement flooded with about an inch of water but they're okay. Seems the worst of it has past in their specific area, knock on wood. The storm has been drifting juuuuust east of where they are at and they're clear on the radar right now.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely massive debris ball showing up on radar for this one in Georgia. The fact that it's hitting at this time of night makes it that much worse.

EDIT: Shit, there's one heading pretty much straight for downtown Atlanta now too. EDIT 2: Just south of Atlanta, actually.

Last edited: