• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
ACAB. There is no much to say or feel the same way as people would regard gang related deaths.
When you're an organization that so openly and brazenly abuses their power and does not reflect despite big parts of the country protesting this is just natural escalation. Also 40 seems like nothing when put side by side to all the racism motivated murders and crimes done by them.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if they identify the perpetrators that those will die cause Cops are 100% going to aim to provoke a shootout or something or find some other excuse to get revenge for their own.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The indictment of cops as a whole is not a moral condemnation of every single individual.

It simply means that good people are not allowed to be the idealistic hero cop to the best of their ability, because the system is trash. You can be an absolute angel and still be a bad cop.

That being said, ain't too many people on this planet who deserve to be ambushed like that.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
So there are virtually no police who enter the force with good intentions but have zero power because of the inherently broken system? Those cops don't deserve shed tears?
Any shooting is tragic. I don't think ACAB is an appropriate response to a couple of cops getting shot, just as I wouldn't think some kind of slur would be an appropriate response to any other incident of gang violence.

That said, good intentions spent in an inherently broken system ain't worth shit. And the overwhelming majority of good intentioned cops will still cover for the absolute shit motherfuckers that permeate their profession.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Good cops get harassed and driven out of the force.

They do. Sometimes it takes years to break their spirit though :/ knew a guy who tried his best for four years before quitting. He was having panic attacks nearly every week before he finally quit. Guy needed a lot of therapy after.

Thing about those people being driven out is that they're not really driven out day one because they don't get to feel powerless day one. They feel like they can make a change...until they try. Then they assume there must be a mistake because of course that has to be changed. Then they try fighting because, well, if not them then who? Then they want to quit but keep going because they remember the times they helped people and how it could've been worse if someone else handled those times.

But then it gets too much and they quit. It...takes a while. I'm operating with a sample size of one, but I assume that the driven out process goes the same for a lot of people.

Godsfather

Jul 14, 2019
To those responding to people talking about cops with good intentions, do y'all know what systemic means? It doesn't mean there are alot of racists in the system, but the system is working as designed to further persecute black and brown people, and will do so even with "good cops". To say not all cops are bad is absolutely useless, but go off.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, you operating at big brain level here. Whew, can't outsmart you.

But tell me Mr. Big Brain, what does sympathy have to do with whether or not there are good cops on the force?
he got you to admit that good cops exist, even if just for a short while before they're dismissed. the cops that got murdered in this situation could have been good cops as well, even if you consider that unlikely.

mader himself might have been on the force years more if he had never encountered a situation like the one that got him fired.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
The indictment of cops as a whole is not a moral condemnation of every single individual.

It simply means that good people are not allowed to be the idealistic hero cop to the best of their ability, because the system is trash. You can be an absolute angel and still be a bad cop.

That being said, ain't too many people on this planet who deserve to be ambushed like that.
I think this is a more eloquent version of what I was trying to express. Thank you and sorry if I offended.

he got you to admit that good cops exists, even if just for a short while before they're dismissed. the cops that got murdered in this situation could have been good cops as well, even if you consider that unlikely.

mader himself might have been on the force years more if he had never encountered a situation like the one that got him fired.
That was exactly my point but I'm not trying to get banned for tone policing or whatever the fuck. Thanks.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
There can be people that are fine individuals that are cops but there are no good cops in the US because the police are nothing more than a repressive entity meant to exert the will of the ruling class on its people with impunity. Often, this results in state enforced subjugation of "others" in the US.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Awful to hear. A ton of complications when I heard it's the LA country sheriff's department. Those guys are actually insane from what I read about all the literal gangs within it - complete with member tattoos and murder initiation rites. I can only imagine what their relationship with the community is like. Then there's the lying propaganda about the hospital and arresting the reporter. If there ends up being some insane twists to what actually went down I won't be shocked.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
he got you to admit that good cops exist, even if just for a short while before they're dismissed. the cops that got murdered in this situation could have been good cops as well, even if you consider that unlikely.

Except they don't.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Any shooting is tragic. I don't think ACAB is an appropriate response to a couple of cops getting shot, just as I wouldn't think some kind of slur would be an appropriate response to any other incident of gang violence.

That said, good intentions spent in an inherently broken system ain't worth shit. And the overwhelming majority of good intentioned cops will still cover for the absolute shit motherfuckers that permeate their profession.
Hey I'm in 100% agreement with you. I guess I was just calling out its inappropriateness because a bad cop isn't always a bad person. But yeah, the system needs fixed or removed entirely—trying to effect change individually is a waste.
Bruh.
"He was a good cop. He chose not to kill someone and resolve the situation without violence. He was fired. The other man was killed."

Regardless, my point was more that there are good PEOPLE who become cops and get killed. Saying ACAB when good people die is gross.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

To me it is, if you are a cop it means you are a bad person. Period.

You can't be a cop and not be a bad person because whether you're a racist murderer or not you cover for and stay silent for other racist murderer's. Ergo, you are a bad person.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In all honesty this does suck, it's horrible when anyone is murdered. It's also an inevitable consequence to running a law enforcement apparatus as a gang. This looks and sounds like a gang hit on a rival gang because it essentially is one. LASD has a gang called the Executioners which operates with impunity inside the department and has for years, they've had similar gangs like this in the LASD for decades, who murder hundreds of civilians. Eventually, faced with no justice or consequences for decades of police brutality, misconduct, and having their communities terrorized by these officers...eventually people react to that. Is it right? No. Is it a direct consequence of police action for decades? Absolutely.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020

You can't be a cop and not be a bad person because whether you're a racist murderer or not you cover for and stay silent for other racist murderer's. Ergo, you are a bad person.
So Mader was a bad person? How about the short term cops with good intentions who later quit or get fired? Are they bad?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So Mader was a bad person? How about the short term cops with good intentions who later quit or get fired? Are they bad?

Dude joined the force in mid-2015, he was fired in mid-2016. He likely joined with good intentions not knowing the extent of police racism and brutality. In 2020, any officer on the force has full knowledge about what they are up to. And if they make it longer than a year, they are probably a bad cop.

Here's just a recent example in France:

www.theguardian.com

French reporter who joined police exposes racism and violence

Undercover journalist Valentin Gendrot describes culture where officers act with impunity

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I don't want to get into an argument about nuance here. I think there are individuals who join the force out of naivete, see some shit, and then are railroaded/threatened for it when they try to correct the behavior, and they either leave or get killed. Yes, I would call those "good people," but the fact that the system destroyed their career means they're are not allowed to be good cops. Therefore, all cops are still bastards.

It's a semantic argument, but at the end of the day we're both on the same side here.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
The blood lust in this thread saddens me. No one, good or bad, should be shot like that.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude joined the force in mid-2015, he was fired in mid-2016. He likely joined with good intentions not knowing the extent of police racism and brutality. In 2020, any officer on the force has full knowledge about what they are up to. And if they make it longer than a year, they are probably a bad cop.

Here's just a recent example in France:

www.theguardian.com

French reporter who joined police exposes racism and violence

Undercover journalist Valentin Gendrot describes culture where officers act with impunity
you're still implying that a good cop existed from mid 2015 to mid 2016. your application of acab is weirdly literal when the statement is more of a shortform for "police as an institution has systemic issues that prevent good actors from participating in it".

either that or mader is schrodinger's cop who is simultaneously both good and bad.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow suggesting a person deserves to be murdered because of his profession is sickening.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And in the time between his joining and his firing he could have been shot and/or killed. A good person dying as a cop isn't impossible.
Yeah I don't really disagree, his case is just the perfect example of how being good and being a cop are mutually exclusive. Once he tried to do good in his position he was eliminated for it.
I would also say all police whistleblowers are good, but they also are usually killed or driven out of the department for their good actions.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Yeah I don't really disagree, his case is just the perfect example of how being good and being a cop are mutually exclusive. Once he tried to do good in his position he was eliminated for it.
I would also say all police whistleblowers are good, but they also are usually killed or driven out of the department for their good actions.
For sure, the system is designed to flush out good actors. Super fucked up.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posts of four letters need a lot more context to imply that. Otherwise they are just sicko's being happy with this news.
Why don't you just ask them what they mean then? ACAB doesn't stop being true because a couple cops got ambushed, even though the cops being ambushed is indeed bad and should not happen.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
saying "acab" and nothing else strongly implies it
if we had to go through the contortions required to talk about how not all cops are actually bad because some cops may be briefly good before they become complicit in racist violence, I think we can also allow that an expression of condemnation of police may be about how it's difficult to feel sympathy for these actors given the violence their institution perpetuates rather than "bloodlust"

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
These threads never go good on this forum, the most vocal won't change their minds and there's no point trying to.

Hope the violence everywhere on everyone subsides , shits been getting ridiculous everywhere fuck 2020

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I see that as rightly pointing out that the gangs inside the department, like the Executioners, have brought this kind of anger and violence on their colleagues.

Hell, I think even assuming this was an attempted assassination because of police brutality issues might ignores just how corrupt the LASD has been for decades.

This might literally just be related to criminal activity on both sides, thats how corrupt they've been. They literally threatened Federal officers the last big investigation.So saying is just random police brutality retaliation, I dunno.

Jan 16, 2019
Pretty disgusting how many people here are happy about this. Bunch of blood thirsty morons.

you can hate cops all you want for unprovoked shootings of americans, that's fine I agree but why is there this vibe of being happy about this happening to these two cops. Gross

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty disgusting how many people here are happy about this. Bunch of blood thirsty morons.

you can hate cops all you want for unprovoked shootings of americans, that's fine I agree but why is there this vibe of being happy about this happening to these two cops. Gross
I think you're seeing the vibe you want to see. How many people in this thread are posting about being "happy about this happening" versus calling it tragic and hoping for the cops' recoveries?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, I think even assuming this was an attempted assassination because of police brutality issues might ignores just how corrupt the LASD has been for decades.

This might literally just be related to criminal activity on both sides, thats how corrupt they've been. They literally threatened Federal officers the last big investigation.So saying is just random police brutality retaliation, I dunno.
Didn't consider that, but that's definitely possible.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Who is happy? I'm not happy, this is terrible, most of all because two people are in critical condition. Second because people will use this to ignore the push for police accountability, reform, and defunding, and try and equivocate between this one horrible instance and years of abusive police behavior. There is nothing to be happy about here.

Nov 13, 2017
This thread is certainly interesting. I don't celebrate human suffering in any form. I don't think murdering police accomplishes anything aside from giving racists even more fuel and power.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
I might get flak for this, but its VERY hard for me to sympathize with cops after all that bullshit they done. Especially after this Lyft and no ID police brutality incident. Fuck all cops, if you ain't weeding out the bad apples then your just as complacent and guilty in my eyes, to protect and serve my ass.