• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you feel about Majora's Mask?

• It's indeed a masterpiece

Votes: 782 59.4%
  • It's a very good game

Votes: 257 19.5%
  • It's a decent game

Votes: 147 11.2%
  • It's pretty bad

Votes: 41 3.1%
  • It's rather terrible

Votes: 32 2.4%
  • I haven't played it

Votes: 58 4.4%

• Total voters

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I would at least say it's definitely one of the most unique and creative games of all time, thought albeit definitely not without flaws.

It's definitely my favorite Legend of Zelda game, and it still boggles my mind how it was conceived back during the millennium year.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
They pulled something off that I still haven't really seen in gaming since so yeah its a mastapiece! Not only unique to all of gaming but one of the craziest takes of a sequel ever. Still can't believe they pulled this game off. I still think about the characters and especially the themes present in the game. Its such a dark world devoid of hope but its done so tastefully. So much to unpack and process. It still hits me every time I play.

This shit still gets me every time. The game oozes this presence you don't really find in other Zelda's, lending to its incredibly unique nature and damn it'll never get old.

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd say so. It's not got the scope of Ocarina of Time, but I still feel it's the better game.

thatjesushair

Mar 21, 2019
Im glad its getting the praise it deserves now, especially after the remake for 3DS.

I loved it when it released for N64, but I DISTINCTLY remember others not enjoying it at all since it was so different from OoT.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Not a fan, to be honest.

It takes the parts of Zelda that I don't care most about and plays them up while toning down the parts I like. The dungeons are nice, the bosses are fun, and the clock ruins everything. The final boss is a bit... odd. But odd fits this oddball of a Zelda game, so it's fine.

The 3DS version added a proper save system, but I still didn't like it. I gave it enough chances by then, I think.

I just want to take my time and explore in Zelda. And that is the one thing you can't do in Majora's Mask. Plus the game keeps stealing my stuff. Keep your hands off my bombs and arrows, they're mine! Rupees, at least, had a bank. Too bad there's no bomb or arrow bank.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying yes, but I have some more complex feelings on it.

I think more than masterpiece or subjective quality, it can be said it was a wonderful use of limitation to make something very interesting (all the re-used assets, short development time it was allotted). That limitation lead to innovation, and some of the ways it innovated to me lead to some interesting mechanics to be explored later and still are being explored (I think for example Majora's Mask was a loose inspiration for Pathologic 1 & 2, Outer Wilds, and other games that use time and a quirky dark but deep world you dig and learn more about for progression. I think it introduced in a more solid way the concept of making learning and understand a strange world to progress and knowledge being the key for progress set against a time system so you have to pick where you spend your time wisely and how things work on a day cycle.

For that, I am grateful.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it in a long time, so it might be nostalgia, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best Zelda.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Especially when you consider the context of the franchise, and the time it released. It was an incredibly daring game to follow up OoT

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The time aspect ruins it for me. I cannot enjoy it at all. I've tried 3 separate times to get into it. It's just a hassle.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It is the best Zelda game and easily the best game Nintendo has ever made. I have given up hope of them ever making anything as thematically rich or narratively nuanced. It is a risky, incredibly ambitious game with an uncompromised design vision. There are few games like it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Easily

The reset/time aspect of it on top of the incredible art design and music create a pressure and atmosphere of doom that I have never experienced in another game that elevates the already amazing and varied gameplay options with the masks into a one of a kind experience.

You turn into a dead Zora guitarist and zip around great bay like a fish. It's a masterpiece

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing coming off of OoT but it had a great concept although the execution could get annoying. Don't really care for the story and I feel a lot of aspects of the game have been inflated by theorycrafting youtubers.

Best parts were having fun with the masks and clocktown stuff.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Yeah it is. I didn't love it and had to use a walk through to beat it, but it is a masterpiece. Just not for me

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It is, they captured lightning in a bottle that hasn't really been captured since.

They created one of the most engrossing worlds that felt lived in and you could see it and watch peoples lives and the impact you could have on them. One of the only game worlds that actually feels alive to me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah, it's the best Zelda. A weird, offbeat, sometimes macabre adventure through a doomed world.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
It's not a masterpiece to me rather than it is a rough gem. The short dev cycle really made it become a product of its own kind and I love no other Zelda game more than I do love Majora's Mask.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I would at least say it's definitely one of the most unique and creative games of all time, thought albeit definitely not without flaws.

It's definitely my favorite Legend of Zelda game, and it still boggles my mind how it was conceived back during the millennium year.
Nintendo Zelda team are gods.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've very much felt that way from the start and have only thought more so as the years passed and nothing else has come close to it. It's still to this day a very unique and captivating game. It may not be perfect and without flaws or shortcomings, nothing is, nor is it something everyone loves, but it is an experience and direction that you can't find anywhere else and it is great for it.

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's still one of the most beautiful and haunting games I've ever played. I definitely think it's a masterpiece.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the craft and ingenuity that went into making a follow up to OoT that wasn't just OoT 2 within a year or so. I don't want to say it was an accident but the remake showed how a game like MM probably would have never been made by Nintendo otherwise.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
WIthout a doubt. One of the most unique and atmospheric games in existence.

Also I think the Great Bay Temple and Stone Tower are some of the best Zelda dungeons in the series. I wish more of them made you think about the dungeon as an entire structure.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
I personally don't enjoy playing it because of the time mechanic. But I nevertheless think it's genius. That, the characters and their routines, the world, atmosphere and music, the absence of Ganon(dorf). It's a brilliant game, I can appreciate that without enjoying to play it.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
I played the 3DS remake. The N64 version is unplayable for me.

Nonetheless, it has a very special place in my heart. Unforgettable experience.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I used to think it's the best Zelda, I recently partly replayed thru it, never finished but watched the whole playthru with Mike & Mike at Easy Allies. It does some truly crazy things, Clock Town is amazing, all the cool masks and guys you can turn into are amazing, but I think it's no longer my favorite Zelda. Some of the quests are bizarre or impossible to figure out without a guide (I used to use guides as a kid, but try not to as I've gotten older,) It's still an amazing game probably still a masterpiece, I think WindWaker has replaced it as my favorite Zelda game.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I've tried a few times and have never been motivated enough to finish it. I respect it though.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
There are certainly elements to it that are genuinely superb.

I don't think it comes together in a cohesive whole like its predecessor OoT, but it is a fantastic game.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably in the top 10 most unique games ever made. The dungeons themselves are probably in the bottom tier of 3d zelda I would say but the focus is rightly on the world and all of its doomed inhabitants. It definitely can be frustrating with its time mechanic but it adds to the hopelessness as all of your hardwork feels like it continually being undone.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of the faults made themselves very apparent with the 3DS remake for me. I think the creativity of playing it for the first time made me forgive a lot of the problems at the time.

I do think it is a great game with the most creative and well thought out side quests in the series but a lot of the main things you play a Zelda game for are very lacking.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
It's a very special game to me. So many of my first memories with video games are tied to this game. Last time I played it in full was 2012, but I found it to still be enjoyable then.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Its an amazing game. The tone alone sets it apart, but it also has some really great dungeons (even if only 4) and so many memorable moments.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
First played it on Wii Virtual Console. It's my second favourite Zelda behind BotW and ahead of Wind Waker.