• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
OP already nailed it right out of the gate. There is no better best-friend-and-rival relationship in gaming across the ages than X and Zero, and the first post thoroughly explains why.

Well done, OP. Excellent post. 👍🏻

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
OP already nailed it right out of the gate. There is no better best-friend-and-rival relationship in gaming across the ages than X and Zero, and the first post thoroughly explains why.

Well done, OP. Excellent post. 👍🏻

Something tells me you might be a little bit biased on this opinion. But I cannot put my finger on why a Maverick Hunter would be so.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The protagonist and partner of any PMD game.

First game the partner willingly accompanies the protagonist while being hunted by their entrie community simply because the protagonist used to be human.

In Super PMD the friendship of Protag/Partner is so strong, they find eachother again after thousands of years, and even when one of them gets erased from existance they manage to bring them back.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, X and Zero would get my vote too.

In Classic, it was a lot more light-hearted with a goofy villain vowing revenge before flying off at the end and the hero going home to an extensive family. X didn't have that. He doesn't have a family or even a home as far as we can tell. He came into an unfamiliar world all alone apart from some conversations with Dr. Cain that exist solely in the X1 manual. The only familiar face and kindred spirit is Zero, and given Zero's loner and more abrasive personality, the reverse appeared to be the same for him. A genuine friendship rather than the acquaintance / friendly rivalry relationship he had with someone like Colonel. And there was a lot of faith and trust between them like Zero sacrificing himself to stop Vile because he knew, for no particular reason other than faith, that X could defeat Sigma on his own. And again in X2 he opts to let X take the much more dangerous objective of fighting Sigma. The Xtreme games on GBA, particularly 2 had a lot of the two acting on their own knowing the other would be self-sufficient.

My favorite aspect of the Day of Sigma short, aside from X remembering his few conversations with Dr. Light before going full on Shining Finger on Master Maverick Asia of the East, is the movie is just a buddy cop flick staring X and Zero.

Runner up would be Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney. Again, so much trust and respect between the two of them and like any good character relationship, they actively make each other better for knowing one another. Phoenix helps Edgeworth rediscover his compassion and Edgeworth helps Phoenix channel his altruism for tangible results. I'm never going to forget the first game how effectively and naturally the attitude toward Edgeworth changes. At the start of the final court day of the fifth case, Maya is gone, Ema is gone, Gumshoe is gone, Lana is gone, and you're all alone. It's very unsettling but then the person that speaks with you before court opens is Edgeworth and I threw up my hands and went "Yoooooooooo!!" I just took the moment in how when I first met Edgeworth he was an asshole that I hated and now we were full on bro handshake.

And of course you have the fun moments like

f1143485ff7bbbba94f8380e4105b6cc.png

KISS, DAMMIT!!

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Something tells me you might be a little bit biased on this opinion. But I cannot put my finger on why a Maverick Hunter would be so.

Hey, to be fair, I never said I wasn't. ;)

Bias aside, I do believe they're a damn fine example of one of the best and you don't necessarily have to be a hardcore Mega Man fan to agree with that once you learn the facts and context. I was being a bit facetious when I didn't bother mentioning there being any other top contenders, though. X and Zero are far from the only perfect example!

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shepard and Garrus all day, every day.

I'm not sure if I'd call it a friendship or more a begrudging respect, but I liked the dynamic between Master Chief and the Arbiter by the end of Halo 3.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
There are a lot of good choices, but the first thing I thought of was Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth. They're not exactly best buds: in fact they're barely even outwardly friendly with each other, under the surface you can tell how much they care about and trust each other.

a85AEVQ_460s.jpg

(Art from google images, not sure if it's official or not. I had to see a few yaoi pics to find this.)

b4a.jpg

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is no better bro-mance than Garrus and Shepard. I dare you to name a better duo. You can't.

152d8f67fb07805c-600x338.png

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Chrobin, in male bonding form obviously.

Chrom can even lose to Robin in smash and still takes time to take a celebratory pose with his bro.

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really 'best' friends but I like the relationship between Jill Valentine and Brad Vickers in RE3 remake. Really gives you the idea S.T.A.R.S. were close with each other.

Screenshot_2020-04-30_at_11.18.04.png

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Zero and X are a good pick. Video game friendships tend to lean towards protagonist and supporting best friend, so it's nice that X and Zero swap places between series. Viktor and Flik are also fun in Suikoden 1 and 2.

A big shout-out to all the best friend side-characters in general too. Reyn, Lucca, Dogi, Rosch, Roll Caskett, Hector, Big Bo, Rei, Yangus, etc. You're my precious brothers and sisters for life.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
DE-650x400.jpg

Perfect progression from mutual distrust to full-on brohood. (picture is Kim and Harry from Disco Elysium, btw).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ice Cream Trio is the best part of Kingdom Hearts

Snake & Otacon is a great pairing

Sonic & Tails are an iconic gaming duo who enjoy a true friendship. Tails' theme song in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 is all about his adoration for Sonic:

In the context of the series, the story is usually that Tails was an outcast who was mercilessly picked on because everyone thought he was a freak for having two tails, until he met Sonic one day, who instantly befriended him. Sonic taught tails how to use his two tails to fly, giving Tails confidence, and they've been inseparable ever since.

Sonic and Tails is a very cute friendship, even if recent modern Sonic games have kinda messed it up. At least the comics get it right.

addebf533cbfe4858a893e539dc3819e7a701f46v2_hq.jpg

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I always enjoyed the how the divergent paths of Sora and Riku came back together in the Kingdom Hearts series at key moments. Actually as a series Kingdom Hearts was pretty good at this as far as casts from different games and their overall story arc. KH3 summed up most of them at the end and it definitely was emotional.

Came for this. The only problem I really have is that there always seems to be a third wheel in the trio, and the focus on trios restrictcharacters interacting with people they should interact more with.

tumblr_mg6l9xE06s1qdfaoxo1_500.gif

69a7663d0a9d007c126d985355e07c68.gif

images

I still want justice for Kairi! And for proof that Kairi and Riku are actually friends!

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ice Cream Trio is the best part of Kingdom Hearts

Snake & Otacon is a great pairing

Sonic and Tails is a very cute friendship, even if recent modern Sonic games have kinda messed it up. At least the comics get it right.

addebf533cbfe4858a893e539dc3819e7a701f46v2_hq.jpg

I always loved how Sonic Generations gave us Classic Tails as well, because you can't have Classic Sonic without Classic Tails. Classic Tails also has my favorite line in the game: