• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Crew members were riding in a van when it crashed and flipped in an accident near filming of the Netflix series The Chosen One.
The accident left two actors dead and six other crew members injured, officials said. The victims were not identified at first. The Baja California Department of Culture said later that Raymundo Garduño Cruz and Juan Francisco González Aguilar died.
The accident happened on a desert road nea Mulege on the Baja California Sur peninsula.

The crew was filming in nearby Santa Rosalia.
deadline.com

Update: Production Suspended On Netflix Series ‘The Chosen One’ After Two Actors Die, Six Injured In Auto Accident Involving Cast & Crew

Production has been suspended on Netflix series "The Chosen One" after Two Actors Die, Six Injured In Auto Accident Involving Crew

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by thread derailment
Netflix productions seem to be rushing and are clearly unsafe.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This is sad to hear. Especially when something like this happens during work. So much oversight and perparedness

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Awful to hear.

I'm no fan of Netflix but I think it's too early to blame them when the accident was not part of shooting but part of transporting people to the set. It's certainly possible they hired a bad driver or were rushing the driver but from the information I've seen there's no reason to assume that.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
God-damn someone's hungry to dish out some netflix shit take, not even a netflix production https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chosen_One_(TV_series) "

Production company
  • Mixer Films

I mean even if you know this was at all related to shooting the series, instead of just something that happened to the people involved in the series.
According to your link it is "Produced by Netflix in association with Mixer Films". I am not familiar with the details of the production though, may be Netflix was 100% hands off.

Oct 28, 2017
God-damn someone's hungry to dish out some netflix shit take, not even a netflix production https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chosen_One_(TV_series) "

Production company
  • Mixer Films

I mean even if you know this was at all related to shooting the series, instead of just something that happened to the people involved in the series.

According to your link it is "Produced by Netflix in association with Mixer Films". I am not familiar with the details of the production though, may be Netflix was 100% hands off.

Different series, that seems to be a Brazilian show from 2019 and has a completely different premise

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The Daily Beast has a much more in-depth article on the accident and it does sound like the cast was not being transported safely.

Now friends of the victims—Raymundo Garduño Cruz and Juan Francisco González Aguilar, known professionally as "Paco Mufote"—are lashing out against Netflix and the independent production company behind the show, The Chosen One, claiming that the cast members had been complaining about poor transport and logistics.

On Friday, Novelist Rick Zazueta shared a scathing Facebook post demanding an investigation and blaming the Mexican film industry.

"People coming to Baja California to exploit natural and human resources and do nothing but inflate their wallets, egos and portfolios," Zazueta fumed.

In his post, Zazueta claimed, "For weeks, the people close to this production have known that the logistics have been terrible. The actors have not stopped complaining about how badly they are being treated specifically in the area of transport and logistics. Locations in Santa Rosalía, Loreto and San Ignacio, flights from La Paz and Tijuana, old panels with flat tires, tired and over-exploited drivers."

He also claimed that the talent was "transported like cattle to save a few pesos."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/two-n...n-francisco-gonzalez-aguilar-killed-in-mexico

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell that's a nightmare.

Godspeed to those who passed and my sympathies for their families.

Oct 28, 2017
The guy whose Twitter thread is linked in the Daily Beast article (and who was friends with one of the dead) says the driver was trying to evade a pothole

Google Translate:

I was recently notified that the driver came out clean from the toxicology test and did not fall asleep, it seems that he avoided a pothole and lost control of the truck.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The guy whose Twitter thread is linked in the Daily Beast article (and who was friends with one of the dead) says the driver was trying to evade a pothole

Google Translate:

I was recently notified that the driver came out clean from the toxicology test and did not fall asleep, it seems that he avoided a pothole and lost control of the truck.

I'm more curious what the condition of the inside of the van was. A rollover is usually survivable if you are in a proper seat and belted in. It would be unusual to have a multiple fatality single vehicle rollover accident unless some or all of the passengers were not wearing a seatbelt (though certainly not entirely unheard of). So the comment from Zazueta that they were being "transported like cattle" is troubling.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Google Translate:

viva México cabrones
I'm more curious what the condition of the inside of the van was. A rollover is usually survivable if you are in a proper seat and belted in. It would be unusual to have a multiple fatality single vehicle rollover accident unless some or all of the passengers were not wearing a seatbelt (though certainly not entirely unheard of). So the comment from Zazueta that they were being "transported like cattle" is troubling.

it is not requiered for passengers to have their belt on

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I grew up in Vallarta...and man the driving there is fucking wild. It still is. Looking back at it now it's insane to me that as young as 8 years old...I would sit in the back of a pickup truck with a dog driving an hour north through the jungle to get to Punta Mita or Sayulita to visit my grandmother. Any type of accident woulda had me killed probably. It's sad but if the car was super packed and unsafe on the inside...this doesn't surprise me. We really should do better (And we are in a way in the more touristy parts) because it can straight up be lawless when it come to safety in a car.

Jun 17, 2019
Damn that sucks. Rip to the actors and i hope only peace for their families.

Regarding the van, I know some people at work talk about how people pack more than legal into transportation. So could that be whats going on here?

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are not a fan of that one post but regardless if it's technically a Netflix production or they just have a deal for distribution and Redrum to produce it, and even if they weren't on set.

Who provided the transportation? People are acting like that's not part of a production, Drivers are in the credits of movies are they not? Was it safe? Who was driving? Was it a PA that just worked a 12+ hour shift? From the info in the articles it doesn't sound like the accident happened totally unrelated to the show's production.

Especially with reports coming out that there were complaints about the productions logistics, thought by friends of the victims to be cost cutting, it doesn't look great for the production company. I don't think people expect Netflix to have direct oversight of every production they have partially paid for or affiliated with but Deadline had no problem naming them and asking them for a statement. I'm sure the production would have used the Netflix affiliation in casting calls to attract talent, so yeah not blaming them with the info we have currently, but the production itself seems like it could be partially to blame here.

Last edited: