• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
The "EDM DJs playing pre-recorded sets" is definately not true. Sounds like a clueless kid assuming that wrote it and not as someone who actually works in the industry.

I've worked in the live music industry with lights for about 15 years professionally.

I can with 100% certainty say that every single EDM/DJ Person I have been working with, is working 100% pre-recorded.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
The "EDM DJs playing pre-recorded sets" is definately not true. Sounds like a clueless kid assuming that wrote it and not as someone who actually works in the industry.
It's true in a lot of cases, though "pre-recorded" might be a poor way of putting it. That may happen, but really it's pre-designed sets so all you have to do is trigger stuff like effects and loops etc.
Does it make me sound stupid to say that the EDM secret actually makes it the whole thing a little more impressive? Prerecording that whole thing to sound organic and pulling off that feeling seems like a bigger deal than it actually being organic.
See above, I think it's more that the set is pre-planned and practiced to the point where you'd really have to mess up in order for it to go wrong

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
....... This is how you make conspiracy theories OP. Taking shit like this at face value. Like, I'm sure some of it is true, but the very act of picking and choosing what you think is true from stuff like this is confirmation bias.

Yup, a lot of people here subscribe to conspiratorial thinking though. They just do so on the right side so most people here give them a pass.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

This is something I have always suspected and that is why I don't use Mint or other services like that. Why create another point of possible entry? It felt sketchy even when scott trade asked for it to use as verification. Changed my password immediately after.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
We don't even know if that person really works at Amazon. He/she is just repeating a common theory about Alexa, Siri and the like.

It's def. true - I have a very good friend who worked for one of these companies and was in charge of helping 'localise' the assistant which basically meant them listening to lots of these recordings (albeit picked at random)

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I have a secret: everybody fucking hates that twitter crops all embedded images, making every image in this thread unreadable, but nobody wants to rock the boat and call them out. anon pls

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I've worked in the live music industry with lights for about 15 years professionally.

I can with 100% certainty say that every single EDM/DJ Person I have been working with, is working 100% pre-recorded.

That's great, I have been in the DJ booth with just about every major DJ the past 14 years and none of them play pre-recorded sets. Care to name who you have worked with?

See above, I think it's more that the set is pre-planned and practiced to the point where you'd really have to mess up in order for it to go wrong

This. Pre-recorded means the whole set is pre mixed and the DJ just presses play and pretends to do stuff. Most heavily produced productions at most have a set list, where everyone knows the order of the songs. But the artist still djs and mixes and adds effects and all that.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the adjuncts in beer are extracts and purees.

There's actually not much about brewing that people would be angry to find out about. Other than perhaps that some beer isn't vegan because of certain fining agents.

The only thing I can really think of is that allergen labeling is absolutely horrible and beer can contain deadly allergens like oysters and peanut butter, and a huge amount of beer these days contains lactose.
I discovered the lactose one recently and it blew my mind. Made me want to drink less beer.

The use of isinglass (dried fish guts, for those not in the know) is definitely not an open secret, but just something more people should probably be aware of. Plenty of vegetarians and vegans down it without realizing what they are having.

Thankfully there are a lot of beers which don't use it and it's not that hard to find out which ones (or stick with cloudy beers if you want to be safe).

Eventually beard hipsters and dudebros will realize Belgian dobbels and Trippels not only taste better, but are stronger and harder to get right and we can move on from this long national nightmare,

Respect

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
The only thing that bothers me about this Twitter exercise is that the anonymous tips are implying that whatever they've experienced is common practice for every company/organization/government, etc. despite these situations being highly variable.

Like the ones about higher education, libraries, non-profits, or government sector work, all of that depends highly on the people at the top and what the culture of that environment is like.

Yeah like I can say that every Tim Horton's makes you clean out broken, rat infested, shit loaded toasters to use when it starts getting busier in the winter but I doubt that was every store. Mind you I was asked to do this by the head regional manager lol

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The Domino's pizza tracker isn't fake. The system has tracked where orders are in real time for years, before Internet ordering even became a thing. You need to do that in order to figure out when to send a delivery on the road.

The pizza tracker just made all of that info public. Yeah, a lot of times the store will manipulate the data a little bit to keep up their efficiency numbers, but the process overall is legit

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

This seems like easy to verify, I knew that many states allow corporal punishment (fucking disgrace in itself). But even in schools and special need students? Disgusting, as it's something that happens because it's allowed. Can't comprehend how US can be so backwards country. Savages, those who are harming kids.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just finished reading all of them. Seems like lots are overblown or just straight up fabricated, but I'm sure quite a few are close to the mark.

Jan 15, 2019
I don't know anything especially scandalous, but I have a couple regarding commercials:

-up until maybe 5 years ago, if that, almost no companies would cast a biracial couple in their commercials. The infamous cheerios commercial kinda changed things.

-when making the same commercial intended for different markets (meaning it's the same script or premise but using different actors), you'll have what is referred to as the hispanic market, the African American market, and the general market. "General market" just means white 9 out of 10 times.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
No way to verify all of these, but there've been articles done on a number of these so yeah quite a few are true. The world is broken, and no one cares.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
That's great, I have been in the DJ booth with just about every major DJ the past 14 years and none of them play pre-recorded sets. Care to name who you have worked with?

This. Pre-recorded means the whole set is pre mixed and the DJ just presses play and pretends to do stuff. Most heavily produced productions at most have a set list, where everyone knows the order of the songs. But the artist still djs and mixes and adds effects and all that.
Yeah, I mean I used Ableton and had my set nice and organised, sorted, clipped, etc. I still had to actually play and manage the whole thing.

The idea someone hits play and just sits and plays solitaire or whatever is only going to be the case for scummy ripoff DJs and low cost wedding/party DJs.

Crazy respect for vinyl DJs though as I can't do what they do, it's an art.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
People should take this all with a huge grain of salt unless someone can confirm them. Like the one on pigs:
Pigs raised on Twizzlers and cupcakes you say? Smithfield Foods, is it? Hmm. I certainly won't be endorsing that brand with my custom!

So this one is true. Source: I used to work in a food production facility where we would take all the left over protein bars, chocolate, candy, nuts, etc that could not be re-worked or were not safe for human consumption (Example, line broke down and product piled up on ground, product had too much of an ingredient so we couldn't label it correctly)... and put them into a giant dumpster that we would then sell to hog farms as feed. We actually had issues with people stealing food out of this because they were finding perfectly good $5 protein bars in a dumpster and re-selling them.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely and provably not true. I'm sure there are egotistical old ass neckbeards who THINK they are internet superheroes however
the-internet-the-it-crowd-27191791-500-230.gif

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eeeeh. Eeeeeeeeh.
All of it unverified, all of it doubtful, and..
mc7G1uP.png

I mean, highly entertaining, but investigative journalism this is not, and even as a joke, it's in extremely poor taste.

I agree with her politics, but this is fake news culture.

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that bothers me about this Twitter exercise is that the anonymous tips are implying that whatever they've experienced is common practice for every company/organization/government, etc. despite these situations being highly variable.

Like the ones about higher education, libraries, non-profits, or government sector work, all of that depends highly on the people at the top and what the culture of that environment is like.

Yeah, the one about law school was such a generalization. Like, that person had a bad experience at law school, so clearly EVERYONE does and you heard it here first, folks.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eeeeh. Eeeeeeeeh.
mc7G1uP.png

I mean, highly entertaining, but investigative journalism this is not, and even as a joke, it's in extremely poor taste.

Yeah, these are just unverified anonymous rumors on Twitter that do little to spread awareness about the issues they are bringing up because they don't provide meaningful information to foment change. Whereas an investigative journalism piece would include verification of sources, it would include the WHERE and WHEN these incidences are talking place, and likely the WHO is perpetrating them while simultaneously protecting their sources. None of that is happening with these Twitter posts, so it just comes off as fearmongering.
Yeah, the one about law school was such a generalization. Like, that person had a bad experience at law school, so clearly EVERYONE does and you heard it here first, folks.
Right. Abuse of graduate students by professors and other students absolutely happens, and there are many cases in which schools handle these incidences poorly, so I'm not even casting doubt on the veracity of these accounts. But to suggest that every school operates that way is baseless, and without naming the school in question the account given benefits no one.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Eeeeh. Eeeeeeeeh.
mc7G1uP.png

WaPo could use a kick in the ass, for certain. Even if she's joking, the corruption that gets baked into our daily existence, it seems would never get exposed if all relied on newspapers and investigative journalists.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WaPo could use a kick in the ass, for certain. Even if she's joking, the corruption that gets baked into our daily existence, it seems would never get exposed if all relied on newspapers and investigative journalists.

And yet, all this infodump is not investigative journalism and has zero credibility.

I can believe it if my truth threshold is "Fun-to-know, little-known fact", but absolutely not if i'm supposed to take political stances or whatnot on any of this.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, all this infodump is not investigative journalism and has zero credibility.

I can believe it if my truth threshold is "Fun-to-know, little-known fact", but absolutely not if i'm supposed to take political stances or whatnot on any of this.
I'm willing to allow her grapefruit to squirt in their eye, if their eyes are available for irritation.
If she was serious, then I'll laugh at her. If she was shading them, then I agree.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Most of the adjuncts in beer are extracts and purees.

There's actually not much about brewing that people would be angry to find out about. Other than perhaps that some beer isn't vegan because of certain fining agents.

The only thing I can really think of is that allergen labeling is absolutely horrible and beer can contain deadly allergens like oysters and peanut butter, and a huge amount of beer these days contains lactose.

Are people really unaware of any of this?

People who would care at least? Being a huge beer nerd I and all of my friends know all of this and I don't know that anyone else would care.

Vegans are certainly well aware of the animal products aspect, there are entire festivals dedicated to vegan beer. (and breweries like Modern Times)

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
That one about EDM DJs was bullshit lol
I mean the reason, not that they're pre-recorded, otherwise rock concerts wouldn't be possible.

Gran_puma

Nov 1, 2017
Eventually beard hipsters and dudebros will realize Belgian dobbels and Trippels not only taste better, but are stronger and harder to get right and we can move on from this long national nightmare,

I don't want the masses to realize that the Belgians make godly nectar and then the supply dips and prices jump. It's already starting to happen to some of the sours like Duchesse de Bourgogne.

As an aside, I don't understand how people can drink the same style all year long. I don't want an IPA in winter and fall....

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
That one about EDM DJs was bullshit lol
I mean the reason, not that they're pre-recorded, otherwise rock concerts wouldn't be possible.
Haha, didn't see the bit about lighting being too complicated. Obviously nonsense, there are very talented live lighting technicians using software not a million miles away from the performing/production software used by the performers themselves.

That tweet really is a daft one on all counts, good spot

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The IPA whining is so exagerated and I tell you that every time you bring it up Stinkles.

There is so much beer being made that even if half of it is IPAs the other half still has so much beer from so many styles you seriously can't pretend you can't find other beer, particularly living in Seattle.

I mean you personally live within 5 miles of like 5 places with 50 taps at all times, and even more bottleshops with 500-1000 different beers available.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Haha, didn't see the bit about lighting being too complicated. Obviously nonsense, there are very talented live lighting technicians using software not a million miles away from the performing/production software used by the performers themselves.

That tweet really is a daft one on all counts, good spot
No like the light is obviously some MIDI rig and can be synced to whatever I'm just saying the stuff doesn't need to pre recorded, you just need to be playing to a click lol.
This thread did not deliver.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, also echoing that the post about the UK charity sector is bullshit, they've just worked for some terrible charities. It's by no means 'most' charities that spend so little on the actual mission, nor does any major funder have that high a failure rate (otherwise they wouldn't get funding, it's not complicated).

Generally though charities are shit about data protection etc - and that's not limited to small organisations. I've been able to access waaaay too much information I should have no business getting into.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one about protecting the internet is so edgy and untrue lmao

Probably comes from someone who learned to write some automated scripts and now thinks they're a hacker.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one about protecting the internet is so edgy and untrue lmao

Probably comes from someone who learned to write some automated scripts and now thinks they're a hacker.

It's real in the sense that a lot more high-wire IT tech gets done in IRC channels and other ridicolously old tech that you'd expect, though.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Half of this is bullshit, a lot of it is people just disgruntled people having an axe to grind with their jobs, none of it is verifiable. And all of the rest is really not that surprising.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
No like the light is obviously some MIDI rig and can be synced to whatever I'm just saying the stuff doesn't need to pre recorded, you just need to be playing to a click lol.
This thread did not deliver.
We might be crossing our streams on what we're saying.

I was just making the point that the tweet was silly, for the reason you said and worse.

It can be automated, and like you say would require a click (as well as perfection in set planning). But the really mind blowing stuff isn't going to be automated, more played like a performer.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Well we do know the issues with non-profits is already true. The only difference country from country is if it is 60% that are inefficient or 80%, etc.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people really unaware of any of this?

People who would care at least? Being a huge beer nerd I and all of my friends know all of this and I don't know that anyone else would care.

Vegans are certainly well aware of the animal products aspect, there are entire festivals dedicated to vegan beer. (and breweries like Modern Times)
Vegans who pay attention are aware. You would be amazed at how many people have no idea just because it's not labelled on the bottle.

Same thing with wine. Most people have no idea and think it's just fermented grapes with yeast until someone tells them and points them to www.barnivore.com

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
We might be crossing our streams on what we're saying.

I was just making the point that the tweet was silly, for the reason you said and worse.

It can be automated, and like you say would require a click (as well as perfection in set planning). But the really mind blowing stuff isn't going to be automated, more played like a performer.
I know I'm just elaborating further for reasons unknown.