• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Leaked demo samples
200220-twitter-fact-checked-tweet-se-1310_d88fa3ccf6b0f2fb3473199a49600357.fit-760w.jpg

www.nbcnews.com

Twitter is testing new ways to fight misinformation — including a community-based points system

A leaked demo features bright red and orange badges for tweets that are deemed "harmfully misleading."
Twitter is experimenting with adding brightly colored labels directly beneath lies and misinformation posted by politicians and public figures, according to a leaked demo of new features sent to NBC News.

Twitter confirmed that the leaked demo, which was accessible on a publicly available site, is one possible iteration of a new policy to target misinformation it plans to roll out March 5.

In this version, disinformation or misleading information posted by public figures will be corrected directly beneath the tweet by fact-checkers and journalists who are verified on the platform, and possibly other users who will participate in a new "community reports" feature, which the demo claims is "like Wikipedia."

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Awesome! It's the only thing they can do until they collect the three mystical scrolls to just fucking ban the nazis and racists.

Seriously, I get it must be super challenging to filter a social media platform but THIS is it? People can make horrible racist, sexist comments and they'll get a finger wave and a little stamp on their news source? What a joke.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I have absolutely no faith in the people running twitter to implement this well.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If they know it's fake and misleading, fucking take it down instead of slapping a coat of paint on it.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a step in the right direction, but it's all about who they select as their verified fact checkers. There's also plenty of "easier" things to do before implementing something like this: deplatforming bigoted and hateful individuals who are already maliciously lying and gaslighting but still somehow still have accounts. See Mike Cernovich and fucking Donald Trump.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll start making a lot of the orange asshole's tweets a bit more orange with these labels

abutteredpig

Oct 30, 2017
The fact checks coming from Kessler at WaPo would be stupid and bad enough on their own, but you know they are going to put like Daily Wire contributors on the Official Fact Checking panel

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
It's not perfect but I like it.
If they know it's fake and misleading, fucking take it down instead of slapping a coat of paint on it.
With the number of posts they get per second having a system like this will be much faster. Hopefully they do get to the point where they review and remove the misleading stuff.
They won't do it to Trump.
This is another question. If they exempt Trump then this system is basically a joke. But honestly they could just perma-tag it to all of his posts to be more efficient.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having the twitter community do fact checking seem like a remarkably terrible idea to me.
So makes sense twitter will go with it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just delete it you dummies, doing anything crowdsourced like this will lead to brigading and abuse by bad faith actors

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Need more details, but this sounds like people such as Trump supporters could just brigade true information which is harmful to Trump to make such a label appear on a Tweet.
And hey, how about you just ban people making shit up?
Just delete it you dummies, doing anything crowdsourced like this will lead to brigading and abuse by bad faith actors
I don't think it's smart to auto-ban stuff that's been reported by their third party fact checkers and users. This is a great way to show reliable counter sources pointing out a highly reported tweet. They can still remove it after their own team sees it.

Also I'd rather there be a chance for people to see republicans and Trump and Fox News hosts etc keep being flagged with real sources instead of them remaining successful and twitter hiding evidence of the fake news tweets on their behalf.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a purely legal context, I don't think any of these technologies (whether it be fact-checking statements or verifying authenticity of deefake videos, etc) are going to matter that much in terms of influencing the narrative. The point of shoveling falsehoods into social media is to get people riled up emotionally through their immediate visceral reactions, and once that's done it doesn't even matter whether they're informed that it's inaccurate.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Outside of a purely legal context, I don't think any of these technologies (whether it be fact-checking statements or verifying authenticity of deefake videos, etc) are going to matter that much in terms of influencing the narrative. The point of shoveling falsehoods into social media is to get people riled up emotionally through their immediate visceral reactions, and once that's done it doesn't even matter whether they're informed that it's inaccurate.
The point is that it will at least slow the sharing of such tweets as undisputed. People retweet crap nonstop, but there's an opportunity to slow it down if you'd be retweeting a big orange label with it that links to reputable disputes.

I don't think it will change American politics, but I think it will change political influence on Twitter in some manner.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If its up to general twitter to decide everything it's going to be abused, if its up to a dedicated team at twitter its going to be impossible just to much.

What they should and maybe can do is use a dedicated team and only on people, topics, and issues that deal with political issues and verified people. For example Donald Trump or the head of some anti vax movement, or a verified celebrity or journalist.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Provided that only credible/verified people can mark posts this doesn't seem like a bad idea. Certainly better than where we are right now. Would probably still be a good idea to have second opinions come in afterwards and confirm the label or clear it though.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a good idea in theory but the implementation will almost definitely be worse and I feel it'll get killed in days

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Citations Needed did an episode last year on status quo-backed "fact checkers" and how they play right into the media's obsession with "both sides" and an inability to recognize actual, damaging liars from misleading information and people just making a mistake.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that they had no qualms about using Bernie for an example, but were too scared to use Trump as the counter example. It kind of seems like a bad omen for this thing.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Citations Needed did an episode last year on status quo-backed "fact checkers" and how they play right into the media's obsession with "both sides" and an inability to recognize actual, damaging liars from misleading information and people just making a mistake.
I think the examples they have so far are fair, but I expect there to be quite a bit of controversy around every news and politics figure if they have a post or two get marked. The other side will use it to spread character assassination attempts.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Moderators lets implement this here as well I long to read the pedantic corrections on Video Game posts please

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You can see it right in that image, they made sure to have both the left and the right because they are worried about the right-wing crying about bias

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Can't wait until this is only really utilized for left-leaning tweets (or given up entirely) because right-wingers will cry about being disproportionally flagged.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, community moderation is always successful in honest and accurate fact checking.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
There just doesn't seem to be a good way to stop, moderate or otherwise mitigate this on any platform because people whose ideologies require grievance tirelessly band together to muddy up the intended use of these tools.

The platforms themselves won't regulate it. It just seems hopeless...