• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Twitter is asking its entire workforce of 5,000 people to work from home, part of its effort to keep employees safe and prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The company said working from home was mandatory for its workers in Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea, where there are higher rates of the COVID-19 disease.

"We are working to make sure internal meetings all hands, and other important tasks are optimized for remote participation," human resources executive Jennifer Christie wrote in a blog post. "We recognize that working from home is not ideal for some job functions. For those employees who prefer or need to come into the offices, they will remain open for business."

Source:
www.google.com

Twitter tells all of its employees to work at home because of coronavirus

Tech company said it is "operating out of an abundance of caution" in asking its 5,000 workers to work from home.

Square has also done the same.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this shit ends soon. It's going to ruin everything.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Wow, that is very surprising that they are taking this measure so soon. While it makes sense for countries with a higher number of cases, I expected this as a last resort for the US offices.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, that is very surprising that they are taking this measure so soon. While it makes sense for countries with a higher number of cases, I expected this as a last resort for the US offices.

Why wait until it is too late? We know that the problem will continue to grow for the foreseeable future. We should take preventative measures, not just reactionary measures.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this shit ends soon. It's going to ruin everything.
Minimum of 12-18 months for a vaccine and that's assuming it'll be widely available once it's ready. And it's not like it's going to just go away once we have the vaccine, they're predicting it could become a seasonal illness.

Prepare for it to "ruin everything", people (I believe at least one person from the CDC, I'll try to find a source) have been saying it's going to disrupt normal life for a few weeks now :\

Edit: Yep it was the CDC

I understand this whole situation may seem overwhelming and that disruption to everyday life may be severe. But these are things that people need to start thinking about now. I had a conversation with my family over breakfast this morning and I told my children that while I didn't think that they were at risk right now, we as a family need to be preparing for significant disruption of our lives.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just surprised corporations are taking these initiatives as early as they are while the government is sitting on their hands.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
So it's better to wait until thousands are infected and then start taking these measures?
For the Salaried Twitter employees it's ok, but i'm thinking of this will affect the workers who are staffed to work at their buildings and how this may their works hours. It's definitely good to get ahead of the curve but it's still shocking to me nonetheless. This also sets a precedence so I wonder how other big companies will respond (mines included).

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
My old job would have us crawling over our fallen co-workers to make it into the office.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Working from home sounds lovely. Maybe if these corporations see how productivity doesn't go down, more will follow and allow more WFH.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
For the Salaried Twitter employees it's ok, but i'm thinking of this will affect the workers who are staffed to work at their buildings and how this may their works hours. It's definitely good to get ahead of the curve but it's still shocking to me nonetheless. This also sets a precedence so I wonder how other big companies will respond (mines included).

It's being driven by the fact that a lot of these tech companies have offices in Seattle, which is ground zero as far as the US goes. Several of my colleagues there have already said that they will be WFH indefinitely.

I work in a Midwest satellite office and was told today that we are free to work from home if we are worried about getting sick.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how soon my company might start 100% WFH for devs - we can already work from home several days a week, but we have to come in sometimes. Plus it's optional.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Should mention that this doesn't cover everyone. If you can work from home they are asking you to do so but some jobs 'require you to be in the office' and they have no choice.

Helps but some people are still fucked :(

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i'm hearing rumblings around my office around the same, though some of it may be wishful thinking

we already work from home a day or two a week and get it all done anyway

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. My workplace just told us that we should work from home if we don't feel well.

We've also halted all travel to places like China and Italy, and barred people who have been to those places from coming into the office.

And now there's hand sanitizer available everywhere.

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
i'm hearing rumblings around my office around the same, though some of it may be wishful thinking

Our boss is suggesting we try having everyone work from home one day as a test. So that we can prepare in case things get too out of hand.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
My company is doing similar. If you're sick at all, work from home until you're 100% healthy, not even the slightest symptom.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live down the street from Indeed here in Austin and they just rolled out the same policy. My employer meanwhile decided to roll out sweeping changes to their VPN policies which have been causing those of us working from home huge headaches.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, yes, telework/telecommute is net-good for society.

Personally I don't know how I feel about it. Just seems like a way to be guilted or cheated into working more time for free. I want to leave my job at the (job's) front door.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
What is the absolute worst case scenario for this thing? I'm envisioning like complete economic meltdown.

I'm so worried about my 62 year old mom who can't retire and works at a bank with the public.

Not to mention thousands of others.

I'm also worried about the election.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I truly wonder what they are thinking. It seems like letting everyone in your office WFH would be manageable since there is a precedent. Why risk everyone's health?

What is the absolute worst case scenario for this thing? I'm envisioning like complete economic meltdown.

I'm so worried about my 62 year old mom who can't retire and works at a bank with the public.

Is she behind protective glass? Make sure she wears disposable gloves, and is informed about not touching her face/ears/mouth with the gloves on.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My company has already banned all non-essential travel, and all travel deemed essential has to be approved by c-suite executives. This is a company of 90,000 employees so you can only imagine this choice wasn't taken lightly. I've noticed the same thing with many of our clients and our clients are basically every company in the world. I know Amazon has also banned all non-essential travel because we work closely with them.

I'm not trying to play into the Hysteria but I've had to start planning how I can allow my employees to work from home. The problem is we are heavily dependent on the office environment and desktop computers. Working over the network with the type of work we do is near impossible

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. My workplace just told us that we should work from home if we don't feel well.

We've also halted all travel to places like China and Italy, and barred people who have been to those places from coming into the office.

And now there's hand sanitizer available everywhere.
Do we work at the same place?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There's like a 90% chance of a recession at this point.

Dec 31, 2017
My workplace (a major, academic health center) has banned international travel for work reasons for at least 2 months. And they've banned all travel of any kind to Italy, China, Iran, and S. Korea.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
My friend works at Indeed. He got the notice yesterday to start WFH today until at least the 12th where they will reassess.

My work is still contemplating that idea. I'm fully able to WFH but I'm not sure all the positions are

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My IT company is staring to formulate plans to work remotely and seeing what preventative ways to help those out in the field.

And my other retail job, might as well fucking quit lol.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
Myself and millions of others are screwed. Talked to my manager today if we had any plan/should be planning if we couldn't operate at full capacity for a couple weeks. We are screwed, I already work through sickness because I literally can't afford to call in sick. I have a total of 16 hours of sick time. I can't afford to miss more than that or I'm literally at risk to lose my housing.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Myself and millions of others are screwed. Talked to my manager today if we had any plan/should be planning if we couldn't operate at full capacity for a couple weeks. We are screwed, I already work through sickness because I literally can't afford to call in sick. I have a total of 16 hours of sick time. I can't afford to miss more than that or I'm literally at risk to lose my housing.
I work in the entertainment industry and with all the events slowly being cancelled, there is a medium chance I may lose my job and in turn, my home.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Yeah, my company recently said if it gets worse in our country (we are currently at a low risk level) then everyone who can should work from home, and if you have a position that can't work from home and get at all ill, you will get 3 weeks of paid sick leave(which is on top of the mandatory sick days from government, paid personal/sick days that the company provides as well)