• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Pretty meh. Most likely Musk will end up paying the 1b break up fee, even though he liquidated 8.5b in Tesla stock without the share price tanking..

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Those tweets in the OP are obnoxious even by Musk standards which is really saying something. And to resurrect Chuck Norris, lord. He's really the cringelord extraordinaire.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Any good resources on how this is likely to actually play out? Preferably not just random Twitter speculation.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty meh. Most likely Musk will end up paying the 1b break up fee, even though he liquidated 8.5b in Tesla stock without the share price tanking..
There is no 1Bn breakup fee unless Musk except maybe it Musk wins the lawsuit.
The outcomes are he wins and pays that and is done, he loses and pays 44Bn, or he settles with Twitter for some smaller amount.

So, he agreed to the purchase and the lawsuit is to get him to go through with it right
Yep. Musk is trying to reneg on a deal he already signed and Twitter are suing to get him to actually stick to it.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Apparently this Court of Chancery doesn't play. Decisions are usually relatively quick and they exist for cases like these. Also no jury involved.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This scenario is not what the breakup fee is for. it's not a Musk is an irrational asshole fee it's a fee paid if the merger is blocked externally, not a fee Musk can pay because he got cold feet.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't he have like 8.5 billion on his account now? No matter what fee they come up to punish him, he already got exactly what he wanted. This entire Facade was embarrassing for everyone involved.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
625.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So what's the fee if he doesn't have to buy? $22 bill at least, right?

He's going to get crushed. Though even then he'll still have billions in personal wealth so...sigh.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
2022-07-11-elon-outcomes-fallback.png
[
QUOTE="Dalek, post: 89898183, member: 2220"]
Explain it to layperson like me.

What are the potential outcomes here?
[/QUOTE]

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Those tweets in the OP are obnoxious even by Musk standards which is really saying something. And to resurrect Chuck Norris, lord. He's really the cringelord extraordinaire.
chuck norris jokes weren't even funny in the 90s

in fact i maintain the only funny chuck Norris thing was the Walker Texas Ranger Lever from Conan, and only because it showed off just how fucking bad that show was

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he fucked over other rich people is the only reason I think he could finally face some actual consequences for his fuckery.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
He's gonna pay $1billion in fine then walk away.

For rich people, punishable by fine is basically legal for a price.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I don't know how, but get as much money from him as possible without him being forced to own Twitter by the end please.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The break up fee is if something outside of either parties control happens, like the government says the purchase isn't allowed.

It's not a "take my ball and go home" fee.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Explain it to layperson like me.

What are the potential outcomes here?

1. Court orders Musk to pay damages to Twitter (in the neighborhood of $1-2 Billion) and Twitter stays public and independent of Musk
2. Court orders Musk to go through the deal, Twitter is sold to him for $44 Billion, and he's out tens of billions of dollars.
3. In an attempt to avoid the above two options, Twitter and Musk come to an agreement to either
3a. Sell Twitter to Musk for less than $44 Billion, or
3b. Let Musk abandon the deal but pay more than #1-2 billion

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
I hope he gets absolutely rekt, and to be honest, since he was clearly trying to manipulate the market with these shenanigans, investigated for crimes.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is great. My feeling is they're goingfor something in the purple zone
The Twitter board want the blue zone. This whole ordeal turned Twitter into a sinking ship of their own design and now they want to cash out of it without being saddled with the responsibility to course correct it.

The ideal option is the purple, because frankly neither party deserves the satisfaction after this shitshow. The damage is done.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even understand the issue, didn't Twitter say they would hand over all of their data regarding bots(exactly what musk was asking for)? This is all on Musk if so, no way he wins

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even understand the issue, didn't Twitter say they would hand over all of their data regarding bots(exactly what musk was asking for)? This is all on Musk if so, no way he wins

He said so much contradictory shit that will 100% be brought up in court, like originally he said he wanted to buy Twitter BECAUSE there were too many bots. He also waved any due diligence which meant that Twitter basically owed him jack shit, but went along with it anyway.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Musk never actually intended to buy twitter for $44 billion. He tried to outsmart the room to drive up his own stock (probably taking a cue from Trump) and ended up tanking Tesla and tried to weasel his way out of it.