• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring is going to be a massive success, isn't it? There isn't a developer more deserving of that success than From Software too. They're just about the only devs where I have complete faith the game will live up to its hype.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
A surprising amount - if you look at the achievements for bloodborne, 45% of people have beaten Father Gascoigne, and for the ending it's broken up kind of weird because there are 3 endings, but one has a 16% completion rate, and 6.3% for the plat.
That means 1 in 7 people who got past gascoinge platted it, and 1 in 2.5 people who got past him completed the game. For something given out for free on ps+, that's a huge % of people who get past the first hurdle going on to finish it.

I wish someone out there tracked trophy stats before a game goes on PS+, and Achievement stats before a game goes on Game Pass (for games where that's possible). The dropoff can be immense.

I remember the completion percentage for XCOM2 was about 20% when I started playing it on PS+, and by the time I finished it a month later it was below 10%. And I recently played Lonely Mountains Downhill on Game Pass, and just by putting in a dozen hours I was getting a bunch of rare Achievements that were below 1%.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think it's funny Zelda is so high when we saw so little new stuff from it. I'm super pumped for it too, but other than the floating islands bit I'm not sure we're much more knowledgeable about the game than we were prior to E3.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's funny Zelda is so high when we saw so little new stuff from it. I'm super pumped for it too, but other than the floating islands bit I'm not sure we're much more knowledgeable about the game than we were prior to E3.
I've been thinking the same. Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I got very little out of what was shown.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
the dark souls series has sold close to 30million and sekiro hit 5 million. And this is with GRRM. It could easily hit 20million.
The entire series is massively successful and popular, they're not even remotely niche games. just not rockstar or COD numbers.

Nah, 20 million is a pipe dream. It won't even hit 10 million.
I don't think GRRM's input makes any difference in projected sales, tbh.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I wish someone out there tracked trophy stats before a game goes on PS+, and Achievement stats before a game goes on Game Pass (for games where that's possible). The dropoff can be immense.

I remember the completion percentage for XCOM2 was about 20% when I started playing it on PS+, and by the time I finished it a month later it was below 10%. And I recently played Lonely Mountains Downhill on Game Pass, and just by putting in a dozen hours I was getting a bunch of rare Achievements that were below 1%.

it's usually best to pick a really early mandatory trophy and work out the % as a fraction of that, that way you're getting an idea of how many got the trophy out of those that gave the game a fair shot.
so many people buy games, launch them, then decide they will play it properly another day. Them being free massively increases that number of people, but many do it after dropping $60 too.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While it's definitely important that Halo is in the top 5, I'm going to pump the brakes on the hyperbole of it. No shot it's as popular as it was back during the original trilogy....and guess what, it doesn't have to be. This proves it's still popular in its own right and will certainly be a Game Pass seller, if not a system seller.

And I imagine that's exactly where the Xbox team wants it to be.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
It will hit 10m and beyond IF its a better souls game than dark souls 3 or far better.

You're underestimating the hype engine for the game. It did wonders for Cyberpunk even though that game post release didn't prove to be even close to deserving the hype. These games have a pretty dedicated fanbase that seems to be growing with each entry. There's a lot of hunger for a new Souls game that even Sekiro couldn't Satisfy.

Elden Ring is going to Sell and its going to sell amazingly well at launch. Its gonna go well past Dark Souls 3's Launch Record.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
elden ring is gonna be very successful but i don't see it hitting 10 mil either. maybe 7, 8 (which would still be an amazing result).

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It will hit 10m and beyond IF its a better souls game than dark souls 3 or far better.

You're underestimating the hype engine for the game. It did wonders for Cyberpunk even though that game post release didn't prove to be even close to deserving the hype. These games have a pretty dedicated fanbase that seems to be growing with each entry. There's a lot of hunger for a new Souls game that even Sekiro couldn't Satisfy.

Elden Ring is going to Sell and its going to sell amazingly well at launch. Its gonna go well past Dark Souls 3's Launch Record.
Souls games are impenetrable to an average audience. If you understand half of what they spout and show in a trailer, you are automatically in because you speak the language. That audience only grows, sure, but over 10 million? Color me highly skeptical.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
was anything technically 'at e3'. it was all just separate events and people calling it 'e3' but there wasn't actually any, like, actual e3

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
elden ring is gonna be very successful but i don't see it hitting 10 mil either. maybe 7, 8 (which would still be an amazing result).
At launch or Lifetime?

If we're talking about Launch then yeah i don't think so but lifetime iam 100% confident if its a better than more than 10M for sure... and the last Multiplat Souls game sold 10m just after 4 years..
Souls games are impenetrable to an average audience. If you understand half of what they spout and show in a trailer, you are automatically in because you speak the language. That audience only grows, sure, but over 10 million? Color me highly skeptical.
Dark Souls 3 Sold 10m+ after 4 years.

A bigger and better game can do even better as Souls games have shown that the audience is only growing.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
DSIII hit 10 million sold copies, didn't it? Elden Ring can get very close (or a bit above) that number. It's been 5 years since last FromSoft rpg. People are thirsty.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Regardless of Elden Ring not being at E3 and this making barely any sense, its HUGE for me as a diehard Souls fan that Elden Ring is able to be at the top alongside these BIG boys.

Its REALLY telling.

Can't even Imagine how well Elden Ring will sell at launch!

Dark Souls is, and has been, one of the "big boys" since 3 came out. No surprise Elden Ring has tons of hype and it'll definitely be a 10m+ seller.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Dark Souls is, and has been, one of the "big boys" since 3 came out. No surprise Elden Ring has tons of hype and it'll definitely be a 10m+ seller.
Yeah iam not sure if people are even aware that Dark Souls 3 passed 10m after 4 years. Its only natural to think that the supposedly better and bigger entry will do better Lifetime.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
At launch or Lifetime?

If we're talking about Launch then yeah i don't think so but lifetime iam 100% confident if its a better than more than 10M for sure... and the last Multiplat Souls game sold 10m just after 4 years..

Dark Souls 3 Sold 10m+ after 4 years.

A bigger and better game can do even better as Souls game have shown that the audience is only growing.
I mean, I might bite because it's different. I never played a Souls before 3. You're probably right long term, though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Halo fans you don't need to resort to gloating about tweet counts. Infinite will be great, and besides your tweet counts are behind Battlefield of all things anyways.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Dark Souls 3 sell over 10 million? I don't see why Elden Ring can't do the same. It's much more hyped than Dark Souls 3.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At launch or Lifetime?

lifetime. i don't think it's gonna get to the heights of darks souls, but i'd love to be wrong.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
lifetime. i don't think it's gonna get to the heights of darks souls, but i'd love to be wrong.
Cool. All it needs is to be better than the previous ones cause all it needs to be is a Souls game even while it tries to do ambitious shit.

Anyways I hope to be proven right (cause i really want these games to sell more! lol).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Dont think many people realize how big Forza Horizon is. Its a racing game that hits that casual market perfectly also.
After the show it got more google searches then Starfield and Halo.
Yep, Forza Horizon is bigger than many people think based on MAU and player count.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the biggest franchises in gaming for sure. Breath of the Wild 2 is so hyped, its launch will be a huge event

rude

Oct 25, 2017
People are surprised Elden Ring got a lot of attention?
multiple people here have said nobody cares about elden ring outside of the era bubble.

despite dark souls 3 selling over 10M and Sekiro, one of the most difficult and 'impenetrable' games on the market, selling 5M.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
But Xbox doesn't have that wow factor...

Halo and Forza will be big.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I feel Xbox is in such a strong position. Two of these games are from their ecosystem.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
If I remember correctly, Splatoon 1 on Wii U and Halo 5 sold more or less similar.
Splatoon 2 sold 12.21 million as of March this year. Halo 3, the best selling Halo game, is at 14.5 million as of 2012. I think given the current context, it will be a pretty close race as to their lifetime sales.