• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
www.businessinsider.com

Twitter just told employees they can work from home permanently

Twitter employees were also told that the company's offices wouldn't be reopened until September at the earliest.

• Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey told employees in an email on Tuesday that they could keep working from home indefinitely, even after COVID-19 lockdowns end.
  • Twitter won't open most of its offices until September at the earliest, a representative told Business Insider.
  • It's one of the most generous work-from-home policies put forward by a major tech company in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

This is fucking awesome. I hope other companies follow suit. Make it an option.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
There really is no argument against WFH now. Lots of people jobs only got worse during this pandemic with a scramble to understand the decline of their business, pivot revenue opportunities, shift projects, build financial models, etc. and managed to do so effectively.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Its a good move to save money as well if you dont have to pay for a huge office building.

I worked at a company that downsized their office and told all employees they could work from home if they want. It was great.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The genie is out of the bottle. A lot of employees are getting used to working from home and a lot of companies can no longer claim WFH doesn't work well or that they don't have enough data on it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its a good move and very needed in places like the Bay Area where rent process are absolutely insane, this will allow people to leave in better suited, more affordable places. If theres one silver lining from this horrible situation its a lot of companies that hated WFH policies have really softened their stances as they saw that productivity wasnt affected by WFH. I know for a fact that EA has and one of the artists in my team was allowed to move to San Diego permanently

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
The genie is out of the bottle. A lot of employees are getting used to working from home and a lot of companies can no longer claim WFH doesn't work well or that they don't have enough data on it.
Precisely. COVID has been a forcing function...and now managers can no longer say "WELL productivity will drop off of a cliff!"

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I work for one of the largest engineering/construction companies in the world and it sounds like it's basically doing the same thing with the office staff.

Which is crazy because I remember a period of time about 5 or 6 years ago where I was working weekends and had a toddler I asked if I could get wfh setup and they were denying people that opportunitiy

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Good move. My office is a few blocks from Twitter HQ and we're probably going to go the same way.

I'm thankful my company is saying that regardless of what the government does, they will be overly cautious when it comes to re-opening offices. I imagine if they do, a lot of consideration and changes will be made to distances, capacity, and so on. Not everyone needs to be there in person anymore, this will be the new paradigm.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
WFH has been the only good thing about this pandemic.

I will not go back without a fight.

I am happier, more comfortable and more productive WFH. Fuck commuting 2 hours a day just to go into a stuffy office and be productive for about 4-6 hours of the 8 I am contractually obligated to spend there.

I'd even take a considerable paycut to continue working from home, no doubt.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
In 90% of cases being required at the office is all about presenteeism and control. There is no real argument for it based on productivity. That being said having worked from home for the last six weeks I would never voluntarily choose to do so. I need that separation between work and home and the change of scenery, plus I like to be out interacting with people. It's just not for me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Its a good move and very needed in places like the Bay Area where rent process are absolutely insane, this will allow people to leave in better suited, more affordable places. If theres one silver lining from this horrible situation its a lot of companies that hated WFH policies have really softened their stances as they saw that productivity wasnt affected by WFH. I know for a fact that EA has and one of the artists in my team was allowed to move to San Diego permanently

I also look forward to traffic loosening up a bit too, assuming that some other companies also follow. Would be nice to have a more reasonable rush hour between like 3-8.

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, I work for a big tech company in NYC and the flexibility was always there. I do really like my co-workers and some of them are my best friends, but having the option to work from home even if you're just not feeling yourself that day is invaluable. I choose to work from home every Friday, but I'm a social creature for sure.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
What if they prefer working at the office? 🤔

That would be where the whole "could" part of the statement comes in. They're still opening their offices again when it's safe to do so.

The company I work for just announced the same that we'd be allowed to fully work from home (my particular position always was WFH but even the ones that weren't apply) after the pandemic ends, so I think it's happening for a lot of companies.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely going to be the new norm for white collar work, but the unintended consequences of this are going to be massive long term.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
That would be where the whole "could" part of the statement comes in. They're still opening their offices again when it's safe to do so.

The company I work for just announced the same that we'd be allowed to fully work from home (my particular position always was WFH but even the ones that weren't apply) after the pandemic ends, so I think it's happening for a lot of companies.

If you think about it a lot of companies will have to make this permanent for at least a portion of their workforce as offices aren't designed for this new reality.

Biggest silver lining in all of this is this will be the end of open offices. Thank goodness!

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A lot less cars on the road. A lot less traffic. A lot let pollution. Hopefully this will lead to lower car insurance prices too.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Jack looked over the office utility bills for last month and said "work from home all you want!"

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
yep. im already planning on leaving the state late next year and just continuing my work elsewhere. its going to be great.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is used to working from home 2-4 days a week.... I cannot wait to get back into the office!

I am WAY more productive at home but the social interaction is key for building culture, community, and basic mental health. Long term this will be great for many people who never had the option. I could never go back to a company that didnt provide me this flexibility.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Like what? Or, do you mean good or bad consequences, because I can't think of much downside.

Job losses in the restaurant industry, custodial, facilities/maintenance, automotive maintenance, petroleum, daycares, etc.

And then less business travel in general would impact the airline/hospitality/car rental industries and further hurt the types of restaurants that count on business expenses. If Trump sticks around we're all fucked.

Oct 28, 2018
Ugh working from home is truly the worst. The feelings of isolation and loneliness only demotivate me. Being able to grab lunch with colleagues, get drinks after work, etc is something I value a lot. This was already the trend that tech workers were heading in and it looks like it's full steam ahead. Makes me want to work in a different field sometimes tbh.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
So are they hiring remotely as well now? Because that will be the real game changer.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Those are actually some concerning downsides that I hadn't considered, I'd be interested to see any studies on that if people have modeled the hit those sectors could take.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh working from home is truly the worst. The feelings of isolation and loneliness only demotivate me. Being able to grab lunch with colleagues, get drinks after work, etc is something I value a lot. This was already the trend that tech workers were heading in and it looks like it's full steam ahead. Makes me want to work in a different field sometimes tbh.
Couldn't you still grab lunch and get drinks even though you WFH.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This could accelerate offshoring of work. At my company, the unwritten but often spoken rule is "if your job can be done from home, it can be done from India for cheaper". Hopefully the government will intervene to prevent this.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

Same, i miss to see my colleagues in real life. But we are still on schedule on every release so far, it will probably change the way remote working take in the future. All the time I lost in the bus is a gain for my company.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Would love if my company did this, or at least gave us 1-2 days a week to use WFH.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah, my office is communicating similar ideas. They haven't outright said "You can work from home forever if you want," but they've made it clear that the old normal isn't returning. They were already having issues with there not being enough office space before this all kicked off, so I'm sure they're psyched that productivity hasn't dropped during COVID. Now they can hire more people without having to worry about fitting them into the two floors of our building.

My department was already 50-75% work-from-home, so I imagine it'll become closer to 80/90% after all of this ends.

Jun 1, 2018
i love working from home but the energy costs are way too high, also i dont like how i have to buy all the computer stuff like mouse chair etc myself

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my team is *desperate* to get into the office, but we may be outliers. I personally absolutely despise working from home and prefer to have a strict separation between my home life and my work life.