• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot deplatform the president of the United States.

Also, preserving his tweets is important for legal and historical reasons. Twitter is making the right call here.
If Twitter allows his words to reach the eyes and ears of 100 million Americans, and without Twitter, they reach 50 million, I'd still call that deplatforming.

Last edited:

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
There's a simple satisfaction in seeing his favorite toy finally bite back at him.

There's definitely gonna be a shitstorm in the morning.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thing, but I disagree with those saying that deplatforming the president will fail. He is using Twitter as his primary vehicle as he knows it is an industry leader for socials.

Maybe he'd get more cozy with Facebook, but other than that, I just can't see people giving two shits about any other platform he joins.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be really fucking awful listening to Republicans defending his tweet and being more outraged about the tweet warning than to Trump wanting to shoot people.
ha yeah, something like:

Republican on Fox News: "I may not agree with the exact wording that the president used there, but the fact here is that Twitter here is policing America's freedom of speech, it really just, it really gives me chills, to be quite honest. I mean at this point how can we criticize China or even Russia for policing and silencing voices on their social media when platforms like twitter are enacting communist-like tactic in our own backyard?"

Reporter: "So true."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
With Facebook setting the bar so low, Twitter does deserve some praise here. Twitter's comms team also noted the historical context of Donald's quote.

And these "glorifying violence" news headlines aren't flattering for POTUS.

twitter.com

BBC News (World) on Twitter

“Twitter hides a tweet from President Trump about Minneapolis protests - following the death of unarmed black man George Floyd - saying it violates rules about glorifying violence https://t.co/EopzzoS7S7”

twitter.com

TIME on Twitter

“Twitter flags President Trump’s tweet about shooting Minneapolis looters for “glorifying violence” https://t.co/qwIQFm9uIU”

twitter.com

The Washington Post on Twitter

“Twitter says Trump’s ‘THUGS’ tweet about Minneapolis protests violated standards by ‘glorifying violence’ https://t.co/33oi577cC3”

twitter.com

CNN on Twitter

“Twitter's response to Trump's tweet: It is hidden by a notice from Twitter -- but is still viewable behind the notice. "This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence." https://t.co/CKV4kR6rjf”

twitter.com

The New York Times on Twitter

“Breaking News: Twitter said President Trump violated its rules against glorifying violence by posting a tweet suggesting that Minneapolis protesters could be shot https://t.co/IJsl1cIKSs”

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Twitter wants him to follow the same rules that everybody else follows as but He feels like he's being targeted, However it's all about him wanting to have special treatment and to not have any repercussions for what he does

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he'd get more cozy with Facebook, but other than that, I just can't see people giving two shits about any other platform he joins.

The point is that Trump doesn't need Twitter to get a message out to people. If he wants to tell the public something all he has to do is call reporters to the White House and tell them. Within an hour every major news outlet will have whatever he said as a headline. Twitter is just a more convenient way of speaking directly to the public without reporters serving as middlemen.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Honestly they shouldn't ban imo because that's exactly what he wants to happen and something like this will definitely effect his ego more.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
He's the President of the US - he's not some Youtube vlogger who relies on the platform to reach his audience. His platform is the Presidency.

If he wasn't saying it directly, then every word of his would still be spread by those who support him, and those who oppose him.

Just with the added bonus of him being able to say that he's being 'silenced'.

At least in this instance there's a clear record of what he's saying direct from source.

There's an argument to be made that Trump's followers, and the people in his orbit, even his stupid kids, all lack the cult around them, or the capability to spread lies and garbage and muck everything up enough to dodge consequences.

You ban Trump from Twitter, and his sycophants are left to take the reigns of that mountain of stupid. They wouldn't be able to handle it. The whole online apparatus of Trump World would fracture quite a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twitter made Trump. And even though I think the drama is amusing, I guess it will help him in the end.

People are just too stupid. All this will just make them think Twitter is conspiring against him.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
As obsessed with Twitter as he is, I do think there is a part of him that actively wants to be banned. He then can go to his circle-jerk rallies and talk about how he's a victim.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Twitter has made a lot of bad decisions over the last couple of years and there was a lot to criticize. But what they are doing lately and especially this week is really good.
They have my full respect for being even more restrictive now even after this order was signed yesterday.

Now I just wish Zuckerberg wasn't such a douchebag and had even half of the integrity.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This news is breaking out everywhere Guys as it's getting covered by all the news places.

This is the beginning of something big, just feels like it.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Today is going to be a fantastic day, I can tell already.

Can't wait for the orange fuckface to wake up!

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Facebook setting the bar so low, Twitter does deserve some praise here. Twitter's comms team also noted the historical context of Donald's quote.

And these "glorifying violence" news headlines aren't flattering for POTUS.

twitter.com

BBC News (World) on Twitter

“Twitter hides a tweet from President Trump about Minneapolis protests - following the death of unarmed black man George Floyd - saying it violates rules about glorifying violence https://t.co/EopzzoS7S7”

twitter.com

TIME on Twitter

“Twitter flags President Trump’s tweet about shooting Minneapolis looters for “glorifying violence” https://t.co/qwIQFm9uIU”

twitter.com

The Washington Post on Twitter

“Twitter says Trump’s ‘THUGS’ tweet about Minneapolis protests violated standards by ‘glorifying violence’ https://t.co/33oi577cC3”

twitter.com

CNN on Twitter

“Twitter's response to Trump's tweet: It is hidden by a notice from Twitter -- but is still viewable behind the notice. "This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence." https://t.co/CKV4kR6rjf”

twitter.com

The New York Times on Twitter

“Breaking News: Twitter said President Trump violated its rules against glorifying violence by posting a tweet suggesting that Minneapolis protesters could be shot https://t.co/IJsl1cIKSs”
This news is breaking out everywhere Guys as it's getting covered by all the news places.

This is the beginning of something big, just feels like it.
Twitter to Trump: You've just activated my trap card

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just tired of this baby's twitter tantrums. I know in the grand scheme that this is a significant move by Twitter, but he's just gonna keep fucking whining like a baby after more than 100k Americans have died due to his negligence.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another sad thing is that everybody who has payed attention to him and his BS on twitter can already tell that he's going to go even more psycho Over this, we already know.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Humiliating him is the next best thing to deplatforming him. This accomplishes what many people have failed to do over the years.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Another sad thing is that everybody who has payed attention to him and his BS on twitter can already tell that he's going to go even more psycho Over this, we already know.

I mean, the guy went ballistic and signed an Executive Order over a fact check - who knows what he's going to do in response to this?

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just tired of this baby's twitter tantrums. I know in the grand scheme that this is a significant move by Twitter, but he's just gonna keep fucking whining like a baby after more than 100k Americans have died due to his negligence.
The closest thing to that was when he had a panic attack, I'm trying to remember when that was, I think it was during the impeachment trials. Trump is acting more desperate than ever so his blood pressure must be higher than usual. Not that it matters, because he must have a fucking great heart, considering his..ahem, lifestyle, he's lived long without becoming seriously ill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But one thing I hope is reported by the media is why they put the warning on (shooting tweet) rather than just reporting on the warning itself and spinning it as censorship

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Suspending his twitter wouldn't deplatform him. He's the president of the united states. Besides, that result in his cult becoming even more entrenched in the "they're silencing conservative voices!" bullshit meme.

You can't really deplatform the US president. I think this is the next best thing.
You cannot deplatform the president of the United States.

Also, preserving his tweets is important for legal and historical reasons. Twitter is making the right call here.
If only you gave it a little bit more of thought instead of trying of win some points by writing with mayus and spaces.

Being the POTUS is his platform.

I'm not sure you can deplatform the POTUS. He's the type of asshole who wouldn't leave getting banned alone.

He would probably have the White House release a press statement every time he wants to make a tweet.
I think it is worth a punt, rather than maintaining the unending cycle of news-fodder generated by his twitter bile.

Would it stop him from getting his word out to a mass audience? No.

But it would be one less context in which he is relevant, which I hope would be at least a small improvement of the situation.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow I didn't think Trump would be able his top his "Tell that to your hater" comment in less than a day. And by that I mean tweeting something so representative of just how unfit he is for a position as official as the presidency.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The presidency is his platform. I could setup a social media platform that posts to the internet from an excel spreadsheet tomorrow and if Trump used it people would read it. Banning him from Twitter will actually have less impact on his words than this does. This is a direct provocation from Twitter to Trump and I fucking love it.
Suspending his twitter wouldn't deplatform him. He's the president of the united states. Besides, that result in his cult becoming even more entrenched in the "they're silencing conservative voices!" bullshit meme.
He's the President of the US - he's not some Youtube vlogger who relies on the platform to reach his audience. His platform is the Presidency.

If he wasn't saying it directly, then every word of his would still be spread by those who support him, and those who oppose him.

Just with the added bonus of him being able to say that he's being 'silenced'.

At least in this instance there's a clear record of what he's saying direct from source.

He's not fucking entitled to a Twitter audience if he can't follow basic rules just because he is the President. 100% they should take away his platform. He has 0 right to spread his bile on THIS platform. What are you guys even arguing?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The closest thing to that was when he had a panic attack, I'm trying to remember when that was, I think it was during the impeachment trials. Trump is acting more desperate than ever so his blood pressure must be higher than usual. Not that it matters, because he must have a fucking great heart, considering his..ahem, lifestyle, he's lived long without becoming seriously ill.

I edited my og comment because I didn't want them to be construed in such a way that I might get in trouble. I'm just so tired of this baby's twitter tantrums.