• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
You know what would be friendlier? Shutting down Twitter
No. Twitter is very awesome. I choose the narrative on Twitter, not them. I have a great circle of people I follow. My timeline is filled with great horror films, Giallo, Action, French New Wave, comics and art. I post nothing but Martial arts films and poster art. Engaged in your hobbies and fuck everything else.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
FWIW the article is not quite accurate: there is no major update coming, these are just the current changes being tested in twttr, a prototype/test environment for experimentation together with the community

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/12/a-first-look-at-twitters-new-prototype-app-twttr/

A look at the current interface they are testing

SxS-twttr-replies-thread.png

Not all these changes will necessarily make their way into Twitter itself, which is why I think that for now people should remain calm about this

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
In the prototype, they are hiding engagement numbers and buttons. I understand the intent behind hiding the "ratio" but why are they trying to reduce the number of engagements as well?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
FWIW the article is not quite accurate: there is no major update coming, these are just the current changes being tested in twttr, a prototype/test environment for experimentation together with the community

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/12/a-first-look-at-twitters-new-prototype-app-twttr/

A look at the current interface they are testing

SxS-twttr-replies-thread.png

Not all these changes will necessarily make their way into Twitter itself, which is why I think that for now people should remain calm about this
Ah, thanks for this! Feel free to change the title to reflect the new information :)

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they weren't through with it, though.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't see how not knowing how many people replied to a thing is going to stop angry reply brigades. Generally I can tell when a take is bad without seeing a number anyway. Given that one of the reasons the internet sucks in general is people getting engaged over controversy (and to be clear I hate trying to discuss internet discourse in such abstract terms!) a lot of which is courted intentionally because engagement is promotion, I don't exactly get the warm fuzzies when a bad tweet has hundreds of replies vs. thousands.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Twitter comes up with terrible ideas most of the time, but I actually think this is a fantastic move.

The unhealthy obsession people have over follower counts/likes/retweets/views/subscribers and whatever is really the absolute worst part of social media imo. All these lame social media influencers and paid promotions and whatnot. People stealing tweets/videos so they can "go viral." Then you have websites posting the same tweet about ten times throughout the day to "boost engagement metrics" which is annoying af.

I think all social networks should de-emphasize this stuff. People will complain but it's better and more healthy in the long run.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
This could be a case of a overall good thing happening but it being done for the wrong reasons.

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
Idk about appearing more friendly, but I think removing the ability to see the number of RTs and Likes is great

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
In the prototype, they are hiding engagement numbers and buttons. I understand the intent behind hiding the "ratio" but why are they trying to reduce the number of engagements as well?

I hate that term "engagement." If you want to say something on Twitter, say it. If you want to reply, do that. A quick look at this new testbed seems to suggest that Twitter are trying to reset some of the crap they've added to that basic model which was so successful ten years ago and more.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Why are we quoting that perv in a topic about twitter

Yeahhhhhh.
8 replies, 281 likes
Like, you'd figure he'd be the exact sort of fellow to have a horde of people following him around at all times yelling SHAME! SHAME! in his mentions, but apparently not? And this is why I don't see getting ratio'd as some indications of much

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Twitter comes up with terrible ideas most of the time, but I actually think this is a fantastic move.

The unhealthy obsession people have over follower counts/likes/retweets/views/subscribers and whatever is really the absolute worst part of social media imo. All these lame social media influencers and paid promotions and whatnot. People stealing tweets/videos so they can "go viral." Then you have websites posting the same tweet about ten times throughout the day to "boost engagement metrics" which is annoying af.

I think all social networks should de-emphasize this stuff. People will complain but it's better and more healthy in the long run.

so basically

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we quoting that perv in a topic about twitter

Sorry; I don't follow him and wasn't aware of who he was. I only shared it because I came across it and it was quicker than writing my own statements about these changes not actually "coming in the next update".

I'll take the hit on this one for being lazy.

1080peace

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry; I don't follow him and wasn't aware of who he was. I only shared it because I came across it and it was quicker than writing my own statements about these changes not actually "coming in the next update".

I'll take the hit on this one for being lazy.
No probs, my comment was a bit too off the cuff as well. Sorry!

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Clearly people got tired of AOC dunking on them.

Joking aside, I guess it's one way to counteract people gaming the system with burner accounts and whatnot, but it also makes it harder for people to notice how widespread the problem is on Twitter. I feel like a high Like/RT count also means people will be less inclined to dunk on/quote tweet them, so it might exacerbate the viciousness on the platform.

One metric I never understood was the Tweets count, because it doesn't distinguish between replies and public tweets. At that point, a high tweet count might just mean you interact with people without clogging everyone's tl.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Not being able to see the number of retweets and likes just makes it seem like everyone is in their own little silo.

Well isn't that the whole point of Twitter? I follow about 120 influential scientists, broadcasters, journalists and creatives. If I want to look outside that little silo I have to do a Twitter search. The results of such searches are often hilarious, but I wouldn't actually like to live in Qanonville or Nazis Screaming About Brie Larson Land.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I like knowing when a post is a fringe opinion, liked by only tens of people.

Now it's going to be a more leveled playing field. I am sure that may help in some regards, but Fake News will definitely get worse for this.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
All jokes aside what this will do is that only the initial tweet will have the likes and retweet, the original content

The follow up which has some folks trying to be smart asses to get likes and retweets responding to the original will not have any likes or retweets

This will result in less snarky or smart ass first reply tweets and result in lesser replies as a result.

Most folks on twitter live only for self ego and getting likes and retweets, this will demolish that issue and cause people to only post original posts in order to get likes or retweets

When these folks get no likes or retweets to massage their ego, it will result in only serious folks replying for the most part

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
If you lose retweets how do you find more people and those without a significant following already?

Edit: doh, only removes the counts on it. Got it.

Still delete twitter.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
If you lose retweets how do you find more people and those without a significant following already?

Edit: doh, only removes the counts on it. Got it.

Still delete twitter.

I think that's the point maybe. Twitter what's users to tweet something original for you to get more followers instead of the twitter method of replying quickly to a popular persons tweet which gets some likes retweets attention and follows

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Another suggestion I would give twitter is to have a dislike button which would make ratio'd tweets disappear from default view. Every twitter user is only allowed 5 dislikes per 24 hour period

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Idea: They should also get rid of the tweets. Would make Twitter perfect.

Oct 26, 2017
might also be to hide that active users might be going down.
I also find it supicious they are doing this before the next presidential cycle

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
removal of likes is such a bad idea

like, it's one of very few non-confrontational and friendly ways to interact on that damn hellhole. what purpose is served by removing them?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
removal of likes is such a bad idea

like, it's one of very few non-confrontational and friendly ways to interact on that damn hellhole. what purpose is served by removing them?

I used to like it when the button just added the tweet to your favourites. I don't know how or why this got changed to likes. It was basically just a convenient private bookmark list for tweets you liked.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I used to like it when the button just added the tweet to your favourites. I don't know how or why this got changed to likes. It was basically just a convenient private bookmark list for tweets you liked.
that sounds fine too, as long as the person who posted gets some kind of heads-up it was favved so they get some positive feedback

i just want to show appreciation to funny/smart posts, lol

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
that sounds fine too, as long as the person who posted gets some kind of heads-up it was favved so they get some positive feedback

i just want to show appreciation to funny/smart posts, lol

In Twitter as I have used it, you can give feedback by following or retweeting. You can even sent a private message if the recipient permits that function.

My Twitter mindset was fixed in 2009 and I've avoided using the Twitter website or apps for years because I prefer the public web app at dabr.eu which has presented the same very basic interface for years. I don't get extraneous information in my timeline, nor do I get ads and it's all in reverse chronological order as it should be. It's still a great way to follow journalists and scientists.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
ratios serve a purpose - ban the nazis instead of this shit

god jack sucks, who knew he'd come back from joe rogan & engaging another white supremacist with more dumb ideas