• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
SOURCE: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/twitter-reveals-big-changes-conversations-new-camera-features-n982571

On Tuesday, the company offered the public its first look at a new prototype for the Twitter app, which the company is calling "twttr" in a nod to CEO and co-founder Jack Dorsey's first tweet, that includes a variety of changes to how Twitter looks and operates, centered on a new format for conversations and color-coded replies.

The prototype also removes the engagement counts showing the number of retweets or "likes" a tweet receives. This change is designed to make Twitter a little friendlier. "We're also actually working on changing the product and changing the policies to improve the health of the conversations," Coleman said, pointing to faster and more "proactive" enforcement including the takedown of accounts spreading hoaxes and conspiracy theories.

D1jxSXNUwAAEwDt.png

D1jyS2DWsAUhYH8.jpg

D1fQHCHUwAAlWuf.jpg

If they actually do end up hiding likes/retweets, then I'd imagine it'd be to get rid of bad ratio. For those of you that aren't aware of this, it is when a tweet receives more replies than likes/retweets. This usually occurs when someone comes up with a take so bad that they're flooded with replies.

Hide me if old.

Last edited:

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like the pros of this is going to out weigh the cons... Regardless i'm interested to see how this turns out.

Oct 29, 2017
High profile user(s) complaining, huh?
No other platform hides numbers like these, huh?

I wonder what high profile cry baby who uses twitter constantly they could be in reference to, hm?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Twitter: Aw shit we're losing users and failing to make massive sums of money what do we do?
Also Twitter: Lets perpetually ignore our user base.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can see this making smaller tweets more popular but this seems to have too many downsides for it to be worth.

ANuclearError

Nov 25, 2017
Influencing users to care about metrics was one of the shitty parts of social media. In the long run, this is a trend that we'd benefit from, but I see it biting Twitter in the arse in the short term.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda fail to see where not being able to see a tweet's like/RT number makes Twitter friendlier.

I like seeing that number even if it isn't that big of a deal.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
SOURCE: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/twitter-reveals-big-changes-conversations-new-camera-features-n982571

D1jxSXNUwAAEwDt.png

This is almost definitely a ploy to get rid of bad ratio. For those of you that aren't aware of this, it is when a tweet receives more replies than likes/dislikes. This usually occurs when someone comes up with a take so bad that they're flooded with replies.

Hide me if old.

As an old Twitter hand I didn't join for "ratio" or all this other crap. If they're hiding it or, better yet, junking it altogether that's a great move back towards sanity. All kinds of people are playing mad games just to try to maximise an arbitrary number.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
anything but actually use the platform themselves to figure out its problems and whats good about it

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad to see twitter's acting decisively to fix the only major problem with their platform.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
will be interesting. I'm doing a lot of learning right now on social media addiction, and the pros and cons of social media. removing the ability to be validated on social media will be off-putting for many (or Cheeto in chief for example). I also think it's a step in the right direction of correcting social media. At the same time it will drastically lower individual user engagement with people not being able to be validated with likes or retweets (thus lowering ad impressions and revenue)

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda fail to see where not being able to see a tweet's like/RT number makes Twitter friendlier.

I like seeing that number even if it isn't that big of a deal.
For better or worse, it absolutely increases the amount of dogpiling when the "ratio" gets bigger and bigger. I dont really feel like thats arguable.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twitter is the poster child for why social media has to be broken up- they can keep making things worse and worse, but they have such a monopoly people won't quit.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I think it's important to recognise just how many assholes like some assholes tweet. Sounds unimportant t but really we need to remember that they exist in numbers.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Twitter helped me find a great writing community and I've stayed away from following politics and things such as gaming and films that draw the wrong kind of racist, sexist assholes. If someone I follow says something political, I don't read the comments. Sticking to one thing has kept me away from the bullshit trolling everyone else seems to find.

That said, because I use the format for writing, the likes help me see what people like and don't and that is going to make things hard.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hopefully it becomes the norm because likes, up votes, and similar social media facets have ruined a lot of this generations psyches. I can tell social media influencers will push back hard, but their fake wanna be celebrity days should never have amounted to anything anyway.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem useful or friendly for creators to see what's popular in their niche.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
removed; see Nibel's post after this which covers the jist of things

Last edited: