• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
maybe, but let's be real here. there is absolutely no universe in which the spam bots on twitter are only 5%
Considering that 25% of Twitter users make 97% of all (U.S.) tweets, it doesn't seem that implausible. Most people who have Twitter accounts aren't posting very much. Spam bots would be the heaviest users and so you would be more likely to see them.

pew_tweets1.png

If spam bots are ~5% of active users, they likely make up more than 5% of all tweets.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
???
Musk, the world's richest person, decided to waive due diligence when he agreed to buy Twitter on April 25, in an effort to get the San Francisco-based company to accept his "best and final offer."
www.reuters.com

Musk says $44 billion Twitter deal on hold over fake account data

Musk is entitled to ask for information on its operations following the signing of the deal, but this is meant to help him prepare for his ownership of Twitter, not to carry out due diligence and reopen negotiations.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
???

www.reuters.com

Musk says $44 billion Twitter deal on hold over fake account data

Musk is entitled to ask for information on its operations following the signing of the deal, but this is meant to help him prepare for his ownership of Twitter, not to carry out due diligence and reopen negotiations.

I am no legal expert but this is where the bullshit detector goes off, because as far as I can understand it seems that he does not particularly have a great legal basis to do what he is trying to do.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Considering that 25% of Twitter users make 97% of all (U.S.) tweets, it doesn't seem that implausible. Most people who have Twitter accounts aren't posting very much. Spam bots would be the heaviest users and so you would be more likely to see them.

pew_tweets1.png

If spam bots are ~5% of active users, they likely make up more than 5% of all tweets.
That's assuming all spambots are active. And not gotten in disuse, suspended, created in bulk to be sold, dormant as to not appear a spambot later, etc.
I don't believe for a second the 5% number, because I have only one me, but could create an unlimited amount of fake accounts. And we all know bots have tremendous purpose for how Twitter works, so there's no point in me believing the 5% fake accounts is more plausible than that number being reversed.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

There's no penalty if he can prove they were lying on their filings. But it's Musk, and I doubt he can.

That's why he is kicking up a fuss about the number of bots because he wants to claim Twitter lied and thus his offer was based on false facts from Twitter and he won't have to pay the fee.

It feels like the fake accounts are way higher than 20%

$1B

wow , what is $1B if you have hundreds lol it really looks like Twitter called his bluff and now he is squirming away from the deal

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
OK idk if this fully checks out but Google says 330 millipn active monthly users of twitter

If 5% of those are spam that's over 16 million spam accounts.

Which... f they are active and annoying are going to feel that a lot more

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's assuming all spambots are active. And not gotten in disuse, suspended, created in bulk to be sold, dormant as to not appear a spambot later, etc.
I don't believe for a second the 5% number, because I have only one me, but could create an unlimited amount of fake accounts. And we all know bots have tremendous purpose for how Twitter works, so there's no point in me believing the 5% fake accounts is more plausible than that number being reversed.

What's the point of bots if Twitter doesn't have that much real people?

How many people are actually out there making bots? Etc.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
wow , what is $1B if you have hundreds lol it really looks like Twitter called his bluff and now he is squirming away from the deal
Elon doesn't have 100s of billions of dollars though. He owns heavily inflated stock worth 100s of billions that he can't liquidate without destroying their value. He's the definition of a paper billionaire. Probably even less liquid than Trunp since he can sell his real estate holdings without impacting their material worth.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
maybe, but let's be real here. there is absolutely no universe in which the spam bots on twitter are only 5%
Twitter's claim was that bots were 5% of the daily monetizable users, not overall users. As it's not further defined how this is defined in their statistic (nor a bot really), they should be able to wriggle through by adapting how a "daily monetizable user" and "bot" is defined.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously completely depends what you call a spam account, they might be saying these are the only accounts they can detect as being automated bots, but we all know twitter has an even bigger problem with troll farms and other forms of targeted manipulation of it's algorithm.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the deal pushes through now and Musk gets to eat his $$$$$ losses by reselling back Twitter lol

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Corporations backing out of purchase deals is not new or surprising, a few years ago AT&T had to pay T-Mobile $4 billion after their merger got cancelled due to concerns it would certainly fail FCC monopoly reviews.

This is all simply because the red hot stock market a month ago when the deal was first announced is now down a lot, interest rates keep going up, crypto is down a ton, so everything is valued 20%+ less right now than a month ago. $44b was a ludicrous price for twitter, but it didn't matter a month ago when everything was going up. Now it matters.

If he pays $1b to walk away Twitter will be FUCKED, no one wants to touch it anymore after all this news and $1b is nothing for its money burn rate. Any sort of lawsuit against Musk would really be for destroying the value of the company indirectly, plus a ton of lawsuits against Twitter itself if it has been shady about user numbers.

If he can take a lot of public flak but get the price down to $35 or less (vs $54.20 initial purchase price) he'll save $15b+ which is worth the loss of stature. The initial price was ludicrously stupid anyways and meme driven, ($5)420 GET ITS 420 HUHUHUH. So stupid.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

Advertisement basically. Twitter claims to have X-hundred million active users. News agencies, polling industries and subsequently the general public prescribe meaning to the most popular hashtags as trends in society that accurately reflect people's opinions, thereby shaping societal attitudes, discourse and feeding back into the news. Corporations and political influencers create bots to dictate the discourse, the strength of the central tendency of trending topics lending credibility to it being a societal attitude. Loop a couple of times and you have bots taking over and a society completely unhinged without it knowing.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
What is the definition of a bot? There could be types that only tweet or retweet for example. I imagine they could only estimate a portion unless they are obvious.

I could almost see him just paying the $1b to walk away and say it was the cost of pwning them.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
What is the definition of a bot? There could be types that only tweet or retweet for example. I imagine they could only estimate a portion unless they are obvious.

I could almost see him just paying the $1b to walk away and say it was the cost of pwning them.
The dude is exactly like trump. He will never pay $1 billion to walk away. He's going to cry about an ant outside the house and back out of the deal. This is why he's violating all sorts of sec laws and acting like a huge bitch on Twitter.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Elon doesn't have 100s of billions of dollars though. He owns heavily inflated stock worth 100s of billions that he can't liquidate without destroying their value. He's the definition of a paper billionaire. Probably even less liquid than Trunp since he can sell his real estate holdings without impacting their material worth.

This has been said so many times here and people just keep glossing over it.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
With my understanding of how Twitter bots are made, it seems like it would be really difficult to programmatically determine if an account is a bot/fake or not. Pretty unreasonable demand by Musk, and I'm sure that's on purpose.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
If he can take a lot of public flak but get the price down to $35 or less (vs $54.20 initial purchase price) he'll save $15b+ which is worth the loss of stature. The initial price was ludicrously stupid anyways and meme driven, ($5)420 GET ITS 420 HUHUHUH. So stupid.

Why would they sell for $35 or less when the share price was over $70 less than a year ago? I get that were probably headed into a recession but doesn't make sense to me to sell for so cheap.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Well well well

(He's backing out, we knew this)

Lol why would it have to be public proof lol. They could easily show him and whoever else signs an NDA the evidence he is looking for if they choose to. It doesn't make the proof more credible because they release it to the public.

I think it's now all but confirmed this deal is not going through.

Oct 28, 2017

pew_tweets1.png

interesting. I guess there is some obvious gray area. likely why musk is using that to try and wriggle out of this. what a shit show

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing to come out this is the deal is cancelled, Musk is banned from Twitter and Trump stays banned.
I'd love it if this gets Elon banned, and I think it's clearly the right thing to do in principle, but it's probably bad optics and there'd be too many Musk stans thinking it's just sour grapes rather than a legitimate punishment for repeated trolling and stock price manipulation.

Just like how famous people can't get punished legally, they also can't get punished by corporations that need to pander to the public. Because they're famous, so a lot of people still inexplicably like them.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Why is he insisting on the proof to be disclosed publicly? This is between Twitter and him. They have show you their documentation.
One of Musk's secrets to success is making his weird cult feel included in everything. If he makes his weird cult feel smart and like they're in on it with him, they'll inflate his stocks, inflate his ego, and together they'll work to keep him in the cultural spotlight.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

A big thing for the use of bots is to boost engagement on real posts to help push certain narratives as bigger than they actually are.

A recent example is AEW wrestling. In case you aren't aware, AEW started as a new wrestling promotion 3 years ago and is backed by a billionaire. It has become very successful and is the first real competition that WWE has had for 20 years.

Of course this has resulted in a sea of hate and fanboy nonsense online to paint it as bad, not real wrestling, nothing compared to WWE and even conspiracy theories alleging crimes against certain wrestlers.

AEW owner Tony Khan recently discussed how he has commissioned an independent study to evaluate the hate online on Twitter and other social platforms. It's not finished yet but the initial findings apparently show that the vast majority of the hate is boosted by bots.

How that works is someone who is motivated against AEW will pay for bots to boost the engagement of anti AEW posts online to work the algorithm to give them more prominence and get them featured in people's timelines and trending feeds.

This results in the general tone and messaging of AEW being a lot more negative than it would otherwise and help to drive the optics of the product.

That's just wrestling but this also happens with politics and other cultural issues to help push a right wing narrative and to try and create a cultural change in opinions.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Musk in general shows you how bullshit it is for someone to be so rich. You would think that the dude wouldn't even have time to look at his phone but he apparently has no actual work on his plate and Tweets non-stop.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way Twitter stockholders could file a suit against musk for the value dropping so hard? I don't know much about how stocks work.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Is there any way Twitter stockholders could file a suit against musk for the value dropping so hard? I don't know much about how stocks work.
Dozens of lawsuits from all sides are pretty much a guarantee now. It's difficult to predict who will prevail but my guess now is that Musk will never own Twitter so maybe we're all the real winners?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Dozens of lawsuits from all sides are pretty much a guarantee now. It's difficult to predict who will prevail but my guess now is that Musk will never own Twitter so maybe we're all the real winners?

Can't wait for Musk to try to start his own Twitter and watch it crash and burn just like every other right-wing social media alternative.

Oct 27, 2017
Musk in general shows you how bullshit it is for someone to be so rich. You would think that the dude wouldn't even have time to look at his phone but he apparently has no actual work on his plate and Tweets non-stop.
Also shows you how all this wealth tied up in dumb-as-fuck privileged cishet white boys is why our society is such a failure.

These are the people that don't actually contribute anything to society. They take credit for everybody else's work. Still amazing to me how people think that Musk has anything to do with Tesla or Space X besides being their public attention whoring face.