• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As U.S. president, Donald Trump receives special treatment from Twitter Inc. when he violates the company's rules around offensive or misleading content. That exemption will end in January if he loses the presidency.

The social network treats transgressions from world leaders differently than those from regular users, and often leaves up tweets that violate its content policies, adding a warning instead of forcing users to delete the posts. This is part of Twitter's philosophy that people should be able to hear from world leaders even when they share controversial posts because their messages are inherently newsworthy.

But former world leaders aren't protected under that policy. High-profile politicians no longer in office -- like former U.S. President Barack Obama -- are treated like regular users if they violate Twitter's rules, which prohibit messages that include hate speech or posts that glorify violence or contain certain types of false information, like dangerous health-related misinformation.

Trump will fall into the "former" group if he leaves office in January, Twitter confirmed. If that happens, breaking one of Twitter's rules means his tweets may be removed entirely instead of labeled. He could also rack up "strikes" for multiple violations, which would increase the severity of punishment issued from the company, and could lead to temporary account freezes, suspensions or even a permanent ban.

More at:
www.bloomberg.com

Trump’s Special Twitter Treatment Would End With Biden Win

As U.S. president, Donald Trump receives special treatment from Twitter Inc. when he violates the company’s rules around offensive or misleading content. That exemption will end in January if he loses the presidency.

Report if old

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah he needs to see a ban.

It's going to be great to see so many older threads suddenly full of error messages instead of hateful tweets.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The only negative with this is it would mean it might be harder to find the tweet that contradicts exactly what he is saying from now on

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Yeah I'm calling bullshit on this one. Don Jr. tweets tons of dumb shit but he just gets slapped with the content warning message. Trump is a big sideshow for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Go and retroactively count every one of his tweets that violated the ToS, then permaban him.

Ban his dumbfuck sons and daughter while at it.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, that's like smacking the crack pipe from his mouth. His post presidency is going to be pitiful.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
This is important for another reason: Deplatforming him ahead of 2024.
EDIT: Not saying he would run again, but you don't want him retweeting stuff about future candidates to his cult.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. I mean, I can picture it happening, but only as cover for not doing anything else about spreading misinformation, ever.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the Biden Presidency comes down like the wrath of god on Facebook and Twitter, not just fines I want to see actual fucking jail time.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Title is wrong, it's more like they would expire once he leaves office. He isn't going to lose protection during these next critical months remaining in office.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If he had been banned before, say two years ago... where do you think he would tried to move to? Would he have tried to set up his own site he could post from?

Oct 28, 2017
Twitter as a platform probably stands to lose a lot more money if they suspend Trump. Specifically if he's planning to start his Trump news network.

Personally, I'd be bailing on twitter's stock if I had skin in the game. Although this is coming from someone in 2008 who cheered against twitter's influence.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
No fuck that, not for the shit he says afterwards ban his ass for the shit he said retroactively. He's said and constantly said shit on Twitter that would have not only gotten you banned but had the fucking feds on your ass for saying it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
He's worth a lot of traffic to them, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If they don't permaban/delete his account when he loses, Twitter can fuck off forever.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you he should have been banned years ago. Pile of shit platform. Way to say you can be a racist bigoted trash bag and be heard easily as long as you got power Twitter. You're really helping the world's morals.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no. One of their cash cows!

they'll leave him on

Not easy to do that after years of defending his not being banned with "he's the potus and its in the public interest to know what he says", can't do that after then as his opinion doesn't mean shit, also hard to do that after that date when trump can't help himself but incite violence and shit and after that date when he tries it as a private citizen he'll be doing it to rile up people against the new potus etc which is a national security risk, and twitter won't have much choice then. If they try to keep him on there while doing that shit when biden has his own DoJ then they'd be idiots.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Why are his sons getting preferential treatment as well? I understand not banning Trump, he's the president. His dumb fuck kids are not elected officials. They should be banned.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Go and retroactively count every one of his tweets that violated the ToS, then permaban him.
Yep. If those Tweets would have been enough to get him removed from Twitter if he weren't the President (and it's pretty clear that they would have been), then they should be enough to get him removed from Twitter once he is not the President.

If they think the Tweets themselves have historic value that warrants retention, then they should freeze them in some way that makes them permanently available, prevent further interactions with them, and put a warning on all of them saying "This Tweet was made by a former world leader who was banned for repeatedly violating the terms of service".

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Why are his sons getting preferential treatment as well? I understand not banning Trump, he's the president. His dumb fuck kids are not elected officials. They should be banned.

Willing to bet not long after he leaves office trump is gonna say something that they have no choice but to ban him for out of pettiness and spite and seen as a call for violence, and then his kids will defend him and do the same shit and get banned too.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So knowing they themselves are really part of the reason why Trump was able to racially divide the country as much as he has...twitter and ONLY twitter has managed to make this reality as fucked up as it could possibly be....

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Not easy to do that after years of defending his not being banned with "he's the potus and its in the public interest to know what he says", can't do that after then as his opinion doesn't mean shit, also hard to do that after that date when trump can't help himself but incite violence and shit and after that date when he tries it as a private citizen he'll be doing it to rile up people against the new potus etc which is a national security risk, and twitter won't have much choice then. If they try to keep him on there while doing that shit when biden has his own DoJ then they'd be idiots.
They'll keep him on. Removing him from Twitter, like him being in jail, is just liberal fanfic that gets clicks. There's money to be made having him there. Nothing will happen