• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Our singular mission is to serve the public conversation. This mission applies to every part of our service, including our advertising and promotional products.

Today, we are updating our advertising policies with respect to state media. Going forward, we will not accept advertising from state-controlled news media entities. Any affected accounts will be free to continue to use Twitter to engage in public conversation, just not our advertising products.

This is a global approach and will be enforced across our entire business.
Why are we doing this?
We want to protect healthy discourse and open conversation. To that end, we believe that there is a difference between engaging in conversation with accounts you choose to follow and the content you see from advertisers in your Twitter experience which may be from accounts you're not currently following. We have policies for both but we have higher standards for our advertisers.

This policy will not apply to taxpayer-funded entities, including independent public broadcasters.
How will we define state-controlled media in this context?
This policy will apply to news media entities that are either financially or editorially controlled by the state. It has been informed by established academic and civil society leaders in this space. Sources include Reporters Without Borders Press Freedom Index, Freedom House, the Economist Intelligence Unit Democracy Index, the European Journalism Centre's Media Landscapes Report, the Committee to Protect Journalists, and UNESCO's framework to assess media development and independence.

We will be making policy determinations on the basis of critical issues of media freedom and independence, such as control of editorial content, financial ownership, influence or interference over broadcasters, editors, and journalists, direct and indirect exertion of political pressure, and/or control over the production and distribution process.

This policy will not apply to entities that are solely dedicated to entertainment, sports, and travel content. However, if the content is mixed with news, it will be prohibited.
Next steps
We will be notifying directly affected entities in the coming days. They will have 30 days to offboard from our advertising products, after which we will stringently enforce these policies. In the meantime, no new campaigns will be allowed and we will enforce our policies rigorously. Affected media entities are free to continue to use their Twitter account(s) to organically participate in public conversation, as long as they are in compliance with the Twitter Rules.

We are exploring transparency approaches to keep the public updated on these types of actions going forward.

Possibly related:

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I don't need a 'reminder' of how violent the HK protests are every time I open the app.

Edit: Facebook is following as well

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/08/removing-cib-china/
Today, we removed seven Pages, three Groups and five Facebook accounts involved in coordinated inauthentic behavior as part of a small network that originated inChina and focused on Hong Kong. The individuals behind this campaign engaged in a number of deceptive tactics, including the use of fake accounts — some of which had been already disabled by our automated systems — to manage Pages posing as news organizations, post in Groups, disseminate their content, and also drive people to off-platform news sites. They frequently posted about local political news and issues including topics like the ongoing protests in Hong Kong. Although the people behind this activity attempted to conceal their identities, our investigation found links to individuals associated with the Chinese government.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
They'll keep waiting after the checks have cleared before acting outrage that or people busting them like they did with this. Social media needs it's ass regulated we are heading into 2020 with more of the same bullshit.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But people on ResetEra told me there are no paid Chinese actors. Just nationalist citizens who spend all day performing a soul-crushing task of defending an authoritarian regime and its vicious policies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
with Citizens United, corporations work around this by not being "The State"

so this is all smoke and mirrors while corporations dictate the political discourse

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Heard that part of what lets twitter go after China is the lack of business risk in it. I wouldn't expect much otherwise

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
It's almost endearing how blatantly obvious the Chinese Government attempts to manipulate the narrative by using their artists and throwing money for adspace for clunky memes and hashtags if only it wasn't also fucking terrifying.
Just one look at Fox News and its loyal audiences in America is enough to make my stomach sink imagining the same shit on a global scale that China is attempting right now.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It shouldn't have ever been allowed, from any country, not just Russia or China.
Social media needs to be regulated so badly, the digital age in general does in fact, Disney for example shouldn't be allowed to own 2 fucking streaming services, just like they can't own both ABC & Fox News.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the the Chinese yodeling group to create a song about unpatriotic and dishonest Twitter.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
BBC proper don't advertise. BBC America and Worldwide (I think on the latter) would be a private entity though.

The public service BBC do, sometimes.

Less than they did, but they actually used to spend quite a bit in the mid-2000s. But even recently the BBC bought cinema advertising for the launch of BBC Sounds. It's far from implausible they'd buy advertising on Twitter.

Oct 26, 2017
The public service BBC do, sometimes.

Less than they did, but they actually used to spend quite a bit in the mid-2000s. But even recently the BBC bought cinema advertising for the launch of BBC Sounds. It's far from implausible they'd buy advertising on Twitter.
I'd have to look into how exactly that is done because the commercial stuff would (or should) be done through subsidiary commercial arms (like the ones I mentioned).

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I dont see why a government backed account can be worst than a Private company account! At least people vote (most places...) for the government (the other ones should just not exist). Not to say those accounts that are clearly on Twitter to spread misinformation / fake news for governments or against governments (usually depends if the right wing is in power).

Sounds like the idea is good but the execution isn't. Just make their AI and algorithms match different tweets about the same subject and have some people (not bots!) check if they are just diverging opinions or if someone is actually in the fake news part of things. Somehow rank tweets from thr most informative to the least. Idk. Banning doesn't sound good to me.