• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
As of now, Rust has over 800k viewers, and in a late surge, hit #4 sales on Steam overtaking Among Us in both viewership and sales.

The reverse happened a year ago when Sodapoppin/Vigor were bored and tried Among Us over Discord and made Among Us popular.

Before that, Fall Guys.

2MiwS7O.png

Amazing that a competitor hasn't shown up after Microsoft gave up on Mixer when you have this kind of marketing power?

Last edited:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Rust was around 1.2m yesterday. Cyberpunk reached that same number on launch day I believe. It's pretty crazy.

I love Rust but it's just not a solo game which kinda sucks if you have no friends to play with

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that a competitor hasn't shown up after Microsoft gave up on Mixer no when you have this kind of marketing power?

Who would though? The current service is run by one of the biggest tech companies in the world, and one of the other biggest tech companies tried and failed. No one in their right mind is looking at that situation with all it's copyright shenanigans and going "Ya I'm going to get in on that" unless they have endless money to spend.

Oct 27, 2017
Where exactly do you think a competitor would come from? Competition usually supplants incumbents if it does something differentiating ,or addresses some shortcoming well enough to bring people over, or said incumbent's popularity starts waning for some reason. I don't see what would cause people to leave Twitch en mass. If Mixer couldn't convince people even with paying big streamers, I'm not sure who else will be able to

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what a competitor can bring to the table that Twitch is not already providing right now .

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing that a competitor hasn't shown up after Microsoft gave up on Mixer no when you have this kind of marketing power?
Dunno if it's that amazing. The infrastructure you need to maintain + Microsoft failing doesn't make it that surprising. Twitch is Amazon, Google has YouTube, MS failed, so who is left? Apple? Other countries have alt platforms but not sure who would compete here.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Yea Rust is gaining in popularity now due to OTK members streaming it (Asmongold, Esfand, Mizkif, etc.). Having said that, Rust has always been quite the populair game.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The "competitors" are YouTube Gaming and Facebook Gaming. I'd say both are more popular than Mixer ever was but they aren't even close to Twitch for this. Platforms that are built partly on discovery are hard to contest.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, just to add a little bit of context, the reason for this is because the Spanish gaming personalities decided to do a macro server with all of them called Egoland, and they're playing every day for the next few days.

We're talking about people like Ibai, Rubius, Auronplay, etc, with millions and millions of subscribers, playing at the same time.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
What's happening with Sonic Mania and its 132k viewers though? Edit : GDQ 2021

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Good on any game that gets success but I always think its weird that what random influencers play on twitch can often dictate the direction and trend of the market. It is what it is. Doesn't effect me I suppose (well it does in market direction but not personally what I play) so I'll leave the grumpy old man take at that.

May 19, 2020
rust has always been popular, i don't think a further uptick makes it comparable to among us which was a total unknown quantity before streamers picked it up

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Being honest, the only way I see this happening is with some adult streamer site deciding to expand to the segment. They would already have a paying audience.

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Yea Rust is gaining in popularity now due to OTK members streaming it (Asmongold, Esfand, Mizkif, etc.). Having said that, Rust has always been quite the populair game.
Well i´d love for that to be true, but it was neither sodapoppin nor OTK. OTV and xqc made it popular again (even though it was always popular)

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft, Google, and Facebook all have or had competitors to Twitch. The question isn't "where are the competitors?" it's "why hasn't the competition made a dent in twitch?" Can't say I have much insight on the how and why, but the competition has been there.

Microsoft was throwing insane money at Mixer very recently, it had a good tech backbone, and it still failed.

EDIT. Now I'm not sure if this thread is about Twitch competitors or Rust competitors. By the OP I assumed it was about Twitch?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I've always thought Rust was an example of a true next gen game. That is, you can technically do very well in the game using nothing but your mic to manipulate other players into doing things for you.

I was obsessed with that game during beta; did they ever get rid of the red animals? That was when I fell off.

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube have really seemed to be blowing up the past year with gaming livestreams, closest thing twitch has had to competition yet.

That OTV server did make the game pretty popular for the time being though.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how long it's gonna last. Heard a lot of streamers got burnt out really fast and are quitting.

I know a couple people in the OTV server straight up dropped out.

Jan 20, 2019
Rust has been very popular on Youtube this year, a lot of youtubers have gain a lot of popularity and views, the game grow a lot this year.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Any competitors out there either never made a dent because of popularity or didn't have the same features. Twitch also has Amazon backing it at this point, so they can afford to send in the clowns (ads) to bolster even more users.

I feel like if Google gave more resources to YTG they'd have a good shot at it, because I personally prefer its features and ubiquity across platforms, but they'd have to actually put money into doing it. It would almost benefit them more to make a "new" platform based on YTG's features but not tie it directly to YouTube itself as a brand and grow it at least somewhat more organically like Twitch originally did before they were bought by Amazon.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where are the competitors? The only reason Rust is doing really well now, though it has come in and out many times over the years, and a large reason that Among Us blew up as it did was because they were popular on popular platforms. You can't just make a platform and expect it to just be popular. Microsoft no doubt spent well upwards of a billion trying to make Mixer happen and it never gained any momentum at all. If one of the biggest companies in the world spent years trying with the best tech, innovative features, and some big name exclusive deals, then how could anyone else expect to ever be able to compete?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
A competitor needs to be part of a large integrated infrastructure.

Youtube and Facebook are the best option. Microsoft tried with Mixer, but couldn't pull the views. Nobody wanted to leave Twitch for an "external" platform.

Most have or use Youtube and Facebook. They can embed or target viewers. Honestly I don't see much live Youtube gaming lures. But often scrolling Facebook, I see "this person live" - I never click however.

TLDR 🕘 ✖️💵

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
man rust was amazingly fun when it first came out, haven't touched it in years though.

Nothing beat waking up to a 5 am call from my friend because we were being raided lmao.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The Rust content has been content overload. The one that made me the most recently was qt calling the Police Station while Team Rocket was stuck inside, leading to xQc answering the phone and qt prank calling him.

There has also been a lot of streamers asking how to get horses, where the fuck the horses were because no one found any anywhere for a while. Then if you watch Asmongold's stream, you realize he literally hoarded all the horses, and they don't spawn anymore because they don't die. I think he's been killing people to steal their horses, in order to collect mounts like in WoW.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been big but a new streamer server has a lot of big names in it and they are making things happen. Twitch feels too big to fail now. Much like youtube there will always be others but people will for the most part stay on twitch.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Rust content has been content overload. The one that made me the most recently was qt calling the Police Station while Team Rocket was stuck inside, leading to xQc answering the phone and qt prank calling him.

There has also been a lot of streamers asking how to get horses, where the fuck the horses were because no one found any anywhere for a while. Then if you watch Asmongold's stream, you realize he literally hoarded all the horses, and they don't spawn anymore because they don't die. I think he's been killing people to steal their horses, in order to collect mounts like in WoW.

Rust has phones? Last I checked in I was just running around a desert naked..

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Amazing that a competitor hasn't shown up after Microsoft gave up on Mixer when you have this kind of marketing power?

The battle for relevant streaming platforms in the West is over. Nobody is touching Twitch, Youtube and Facebook. People naturally tend to go towards the platforms with the biggest reach, which causes smaller platforms to die out over time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Microsoft, Google, and Facebook all have or had competitors to Twitch. The question isn't "where are the competitors?" it's "why hasn't the competition made a dent in twitch?" Can't say I have much insight on the how and why, but the competition has been there.

Microsoft was throwing insane money at Mixer very recently, it had a good tech backbone, and it still failed.

EDIT. Now I'm not sure if this thread is about Twitch competitors or Rust competitors. By the OP I assumed it was about Twitch?
It was made mostly about Twitch. Survival sim games which are a big part of PC gaming, or sims in general I know that much about PC games.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the Among Us streak, can't get into watching Rust.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely spiked from the "RP servers" that have popped up full of streamers. A lot of drama has blossomed from this as well. Juicy, juicy drama. Over Rust.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The market is saturated already. You have YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook Gaming. Mixer couldn't compete and died and that's the end of the story.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I don't play Rust but I've been watching Welyn on youtube for a couple of years now. (I highly recommend him)

It seems like a game that can be thoroughly entertaining if you devote all your spare hours to it; but if you want to play other things you'll very quickly get left behind.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
It did, it's called Trovo and it is Tencent's attempt at taking Mixer's place. Never heard of it I hear you say? That's exactly why it has even less viewers than Mixer, feeding in to the never ending cycle of streamers not wanting to use it because there are no viewers. Even their subreddit is a graveyard, they don't seem to have any kind of community team.

Realistically Youtube and Facebook will remain Twitch's only competition, and no matter what Twitch does it won't matter because the alternatives are just as garbage but don't have even a fraction of the total viewers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It did, it's called Trovo and it is Tencent's attempt at taking Mixer's place. Never heard of it I hear you say? That's exactly why it has even less viewers than Mixer, feeding in to the never ending cycle of streamers not wanting to use it because there are no viewers. Even their subreddit is a graveyard, they don't seem to have any kind of community team.

Realistically Youtube and Facebook will remain Twitch's only competition, and no matter what Twitch does it won't matter because the alternatives are just as garbage but don't have even a fraction of the total viewers.
YouTube has shown it's more than capable of you gaining a shitload of viewers, Valkyrae being the most obvious example going from like 2K on Twitch, to 50k-70k+ concurrent viewers on YouTube, but besides her there's quite a lot of massive streamers on YouTube nowadays, it's just more of a why go for free when Twitch or YouTube might give you a deal to go instead, basically just pick your poison and hope you get big as you have about as much chance on either.

Another kinda funny side affect of this and Twitch's whole DMCA shitshow, making a YouTube clip channel can get you insane engagement now.