• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Happo

Jul 5, 2018
Not saying youtube is a better platfrom, but they're literally burning money not creating a competitor for twitch. Just create a new site like "Youtube Live" and copy the twitch design and watch the money roll in. Plus youtube player is so much superior.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
whatever.

grow some balls and start banning the streamers who say and cultivate toxic bullshit.

of course that's a whole lot of the competitive community soooooo....

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
It's an acronym.

"Sucker idolizing mediocre pussy"

Which is stupid cause there's no such thing as mediocre pussy. They're all works of art.

Think about what you just said

B O N K

Anyways, what a stupid waste of energy on Twitch's part, who had "Simp banned on Twitch" on their 2020 bingo card?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying youtube is a better platfrom, but they're literally burning money not creating a competitor for twitch. Just create a new site like "Youtube Live" and copy the twitch design and watch the money roll in. Plus youtube player is so much superior.

but...they have one

golguin

Oct 29, 2017

Vtubers on youtube already use it to stream and it seems to be going pretty good based on the amount of money they get.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...earner-is-virtual-youtuber-kiryu-coco/.163103

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Youtube has had live streams for gaming for, like, ever.

whatever.

grow some balls and start banning the streamers who say and cultivate toxic bullshit.

of course that's a whole lot of the competitive community soooooo....

They won't cut into that cash cow unless it starts affecting their bottom dollar.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Man, people really want to say 'simp' huh?

Can't go to any stream without someone dying to use that word in chat

Erm.....

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They did, it's what YouTube Gaming was, went nowhere though and they just kinda let it slowly vade away, because people just used YouTube like they always did. YouTube game streaming is absolutely booming at the moment though (like the biggest streamers are on YouTube now, multiple 100k+ concurrent viewer streamers), so they should definitely work on the layout, currently findability is still pretty terrible.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I moved onto YouTube a while ago. It helps that musicians, artists and all kinds of other people I subscribe to on YouTube use it. Twitch's interface has gotten worse and worse every time I have gone back.

Nov 1, 2017
As someone who knew about the term simp ages ago, it's pretty nuts that it entered the Twitch lexicon.
Why has simp made a comeback? That's some throwback pre-internet slang lol

Yeah this is all strange.

The first time I heard the word "simp" was back in the 90's when I was a kid. Listening to UGK, specifically Pimp C's verses. It was his favorite thing to say lmao.

It's crazy to see how it's been co-opted by white people and now... banned? Should us black folks protest about this? This is wild hahaha.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Wonder if I can complain the are affecting my plan to do streams praying the rosary of the blessed incel Mary?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Smh the gentrification of the word simp. Also is it true that the n-word isn't against ToS? That can't be right... right?

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Ban all BTTV emotes next please
p76c976lbml41.png

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Smh the gentrification of the word simp. Also is it true that the n-word isn't against ToS? That can't be right... right?
They allow black content creators to say it I'm pretty sure, at least the one ending in "a", which might be why it's not against ToS. White people have been banned in the past, but not always, seems to depend on how much it blows up if Twitch will react or not, but even then some high profile cases that were allowed to slide.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm going to be honest, 'incel' has a different connotation than the other two. Removing it from emotes, I assume is fine, but emotes are always going to be misused when they can to denigrate others. There's a reason there are very few emotes approved in GDQ's channel just as an example. CmonBruh has been misused as a racist emote since Twitch started. It's not racist in and of itself, but in the way it's spammed when a black person is on the stream, it becomes that way. So with anything, Twitch needs to actually look into why some of its biggest content creators are toxic and have chats full of the types of people that do this. The actual words/emotes aren't really the issue I don't think.

The issues are many of the biggest streamers on Twitch are toxic and either encourage this behavior, or like Lirik, completely just let it go. Lirik has commented on how hard it's been being of a certain ethnicity on Twitch and yet he lets rampant transphobia happen in his channel with little comment. I was watching when he did the Claire quest line in Cyberpunk and my god it was horrendous. Is it fair to hold that against him? Maybe, maybe not, but he's also commented on games like The Last of Us Part II that it had too much gay stuff or something such. Or like xQCow who, while I find amusing from time to time, calls well built women, 'fridges'. Like at some point, you have to look at the audience you have cultivated. I don't think Twitch understands its own audience when they make decisions like these.

When these are some of your biggest successes, I don't know man, like maybe banning these terms is the wrong way to combat toxicity?

Any black streamer's channel seems to be fine, but otherwise I'd assume it's automoded out.

Happo

Jul 5, 2018
I know Youtube has had live streams for a while now, but it needs a competent centralized stream site with a good design. Youtube Gaming was a mess.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
They allow black content creators to say it I'm pretty sure, at least the one ending in "a", which might be why it's not against ToS. White people have been banned in the past, but not always, seems to depend on how much it blows up if Twitch will react or not, but even then some high profile cases that were allowed to slide.
Any black streamer's channel seems to be fine, but otherwise I'd assume it's automoded out.
Allowing black creators to use it makes sense enough for me. Thanks for the info

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
So the simp shit really affected donations? Or is this another idiotic censorship PR move?
The women streamers I've seen have normalized simp, and all use it in a positive manner. I saw another say that some guys do offline donations instead, which is probably due to it. Simps are kinda like whales in F2P games. Twitch is def trying to protect the whale.

Oct 25, 2017
On a side note, why haven't they done anything about the r-word, autistic, and other ableist slurs? Countless big streamers throw these words around and think it's hilarious.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I feel like this - once again - is something for optics rather than actual substance. Simp and incel are used so often that they mean nothing anymore, and almost every time I see it used it's in a jokey, ironic sort of way, never seriously. Virgin is the only one I can see being used as an actual insult, but that largely depends on context which... isn't one of Twitch's strong suits.

The banning of the words is whatever, it's the big song and dance they do that's frustrating. Banning these "nothing" words don't do anything to fix the actual problems the platform faces. Namely the toxic culture in some places and the DMCA stuff that's been going on.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
It's outright hilarious that they are so open about banning words that might hurt the feelings of their self-presumed majority male donating audience, meanwhile they continue to do nothing to actually protect women and minorities on their platform, while simultaneously constantly cracking down on the way that women dress on their platform.

And by hilarious I mean sad and fucked up.

Probably the biggest irony is that the majority of the people they're defending from being called incels/virgins/simps are also probably the people who most often harass people on twitch by calling others incels/virgins/simps/thots/cucks/whatever.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I just don't understand why they are banning simp. Also what about stop wasting your time doing this and instead create some tool to help anyone affected by DMCA issues?