• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost always been at the forefront of slang in America pretty sure you could trace back over 70% of American slang in the last 50+ years to black American culture.
Goes back further than that. Where do you think the overuse of "cool" came from? Hell, it goes all the way back to the Black Minstrelsy shows, arguably the birth of American culture.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Thats some pretty important clarification.
Banning simp turns out just means they're removing emotes that have simp in it.

"We will take action against the use of terms like "simp", "incel" or "virgin" specifically when they are being used to negatively refer to another person's sexual practices. Using these terms on their own wouldn't lead to an enforcement but we would taker action if they were used repeatedly in a harassing manner."

All this really says is they're going to ban people for harassment, which is something that they already do.

Twitch PR is the embodiment of this meme:

cIB6HaX.png

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I still have no idea what a simp is. The acronym version (suckers idolizing medicore p****) seems pretty horrible, but I can't believe such a thing would become so popular with children?

I'm also still wondering what this symbol means: 👉 👈

Fuck I'm old.

Regardless, "virgin" is definitely the funniest one out of that list to ban from chat.

"Are you drinking that spiked or virgin" is now a bannable question.
it's basically means being shy, kinda used when talking to a crush too.
main-qimg-d7730fc80daac7d227d8e3858d42c9e1

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Not opposed to Twitch banning Simp. I think it's a pretty sexist term and I'd rather they took a stance against it instead of just saying "well we can't fix sexism so why bother changing what we CAN control".

Virgin and Incel I'm sure are rampant across Twitch but I don't hang in any circles that use them. I don't really feel one way or another about those terms being banned.

Mar 10, 2018
A blanket ban on the word "virgin" is... uh... a choice. Like. That's a word word. Just a plain word. It's meaning hasn't really changed for thousands of years. Even if it's commonly used as an insult, it doesn't inherently have any negative context.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Goes back further than that. Where do you think the overuse of "cool" came from? Hell, it goes all the way back to the Black Minstrelsy shows, arguably the birth of American culture.
I don't remember where I even picked it up from, but I remember saying it when I was really little. I have a memory of building a pillow fort with my cousin one summer and I told him " this is pretty cool" he looked at me confused saying it was warm what did I mean and I had to try and explain it haha

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
But it's okay to call other people R and A.

Seriously.

This is such a stupid rule. Twitch should outline what misbehavior on their platform involves and moderate based on that (which could include a ban on certain words, sure, and a list "potentially problematic" words like simp, virgin, and the words you mentioned).

This just feels like a big tech company trying to fully automate moderation in a really dumb way again.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember where I even picked it up from, but I remember saying it when I was really little. I have a memory of building a pillow fort with my cousin one summer and I told him " this is pretty cool" he looked at me confused saying it was warm what did I mean and I had to try and explain it haha
Yeah, it comes from African American Jazz musicians and it's culture. The first "wanna be's" or "wiggers" were ironically a term that's evolved to mean something else, but were the original "Hipsters" -
Initially, hipsters were usually middle-class white youths seeking to emulate the lifestyle of the largely black jazz musicians they followed

Last edited:

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck, this is like the school Principal stating what new slang is not allowed in a classroom. Did I miss a memo where Twitch is a childs platform (besides some people that act like kids)? Can you not have MATURE rated streams? Or KIDS favored streams?

Feels icky trying to ban crap on a public expression avenue that isnt hate speech/slurs.

Oh. Ok... I'm...

This person says that Twitch relies on automod to catch the n word. But it can be opted out of etc. Someone let me know if this is wrong and I'll delete the post.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a money move if you ask me.

Biggest donors are going to be the lonely people who may feel ashamed of their donations. Being harassed by people calling them a simp or incel may reduce donations and cut into that revenue stream for Twitch.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie I'm into this anything that takes away words that have been adapted into internet lingo. Ban "bro" and "oof" next.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
many people pointed out on the blind playthrough topic that twitch was just doing performative shit instead of actually fixing the awful problem the site has and they were called out by people who brought Twitch's crap

Good to see Twitch proving that they don't care as long as they can do the bare minimum to try to appear like they're doing shit

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
i never typed 'incel' in chat despite seeing those that immediately got pruned away for misbehavior. do i get one of your lame emote rewards for that?

banning virgin is just preposterous

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
if you look at the rules, it's INCREDIBLY CLEAR that this conversation today was meant as an informal example of what the rules spell out. Twitch has not created a blanket list of words to ban, and it seems to be making such flexibility in language clear with its full rules, which I invite y'all to read. these give Twitch the purview to very very verrrrry specifically apply such enforcement to people who think they're being cute and harass someone by calling them a "shrimp" under the same context.

one reason Ars has passed on covering the story.

Oct 28, 2017
I've never heard someone on Twitch use the word simp, but I'm assuming it's short for simpleton, i.e. stupid? Incel is a word I've repeatedly forgot the meaning of and had to look it up to remind myself. It's also just an ugly word and I don't like even looking at it. Virgin as an insult I can see and have heard some people I watch use it when playing multiplayer games and talking about their opponents. Didn't think it was widespread enough to become an issue though.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
They can ban you for saying Marie was a virgin, then. Clear attack against Christians.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
"Simp" is a term loaded with misogyny and toxic masculinity. It really shouldn't be used here either, but the way it was used on Twitch is especially toxic.

So many of my friends use the word simp to talk about and describe the online harassment they receive from thirsty guys on the internet, so while yes it's used as a childish way for shitty dudes to put other dudes down. It's also a way for women to express their frustrations with shitty male behavior and toxic masculinity on the internet. This to me just feels like another form of suppressing expression on their streaming platform.

This just feels like twitch catering to the pepe crowd yet again.

Oct 25, 2017
So many of my friends use the word simp to talk about and describe the online harassment they receive from thirsty guys on the internet, so while yes it's used as a childish way for shitty dudes to put other dudes down. It's also a way for women to express their frustrations with shitty male behavior and toxic masculinity on the internet. This to me just feels like another form of suppressing expression on their streaming platform.

This just feels like twitch catering to the pepe crowd yet again.
I think you just arent really aware of the reality of how this is used on the platform most of the time. Anyway doesnt matter, this battle is over and twitch has banned it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This person says that Twitch relies on automod to catch the n word. But it can be opted out of etc. Someone let me know if this is wrong and I'll delete the post.

Yeah, automod is enabled by default to filter out certain terms. You'd have to manually change it to filter less.

Generally, Twitch relies on on the streamer to moderate their own channel, though I'm sure the larger streamers will have Twitch staff in there as well.

looking at my Twitch dashboard, these are the default settings for chat moderation
jn0wYyB.png

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I think you just arent really aware of the reality of how this is used on the platform most of the time. Anyway doesnt matter, this battle is over and twitch has banned it.

the thing is the word is so ubiquitous and multifaceted. I see it used everywhere. Again I said it's used in chat as the new "white knight" but it's also used by streamers constantly as a way to talk about harassment and toxic male behavior as well as to show support for their friends.

Oct 25, 2017
the thing is the word is so ubiquitous and multifaceted. I see it used everywhere. Again I said it's used in chat as the new "white knight" but it's also used by streamers constantly as a way to talk about harassment and toxic male behavior as well as to show support for their friends.
I dont know what to tell you except to hope people will be better.

Because furthering the word's use in culture is a negative thing. The reason the people you are talking about have appropriated it that way is because it has emerged as toxic, widespread behavior.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what to tell you except to hope people will be better.

Because furthering the word's use in culture is a negative thing. The reason the people you are talking about have appropriated it that way is because it has emerged as toxic, widespread behavior.

This does nothing to address the behavior they're discussing when using the word simp.

Oct 25, 2017
This does nothing to address the behavior they're discussing when using the word simp.
It does. I'm speaking as someone who used to mod a major channel. Letting "memes" like this take root and flood chat creates a toxic atmosphere that contributes to either making people feel unwelcome or emboldening people to have these attitudes and behaviors. When it becomes this common, people who should know better end up helping to perpetuate it too.

The behavior they are addressing is the use of the word. Banning the word addresses that behavior. It doesn't have to be a single-step solution to cure twitch culture of all misogyny. We could eliminate literally all of twitch's conduct rules if we used that silly logic. Banning racial slurs hasn't stopped racism on Twitch so why ban them?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Good, words like that are almost always used by certain groups of people and anyone else can just word what they're saying differently.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Wait wait wait. Is the word virgin also banned? But dependin on countries, virgin can be common names here, and in some cases can be a regular verb

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Simp is generally used whenever anyone says anything nice about a girl. It's can be pretty toxic imo. There are other uses of course but the most predominate one is to bully people into not being simps in other words "mean to women." Banning this word is not terrible.

The "incel" ban is a strange one unless they are seeing the word as actually meaning "involuntarily celibate" which it obvioosly doesn't mean just that and has an entire context to it that is anti-women so not being able to call a pos an incel sucks and they are allying with incels lol.

Virgin is used in a more self deprecating way on Twitch and it is a meme that all gamers are virgins. No one generally acts attacked when it's used but maybe some are?

But of course you seem to still be able to use the "R" word though which is explicitly ableist.