• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

EHMqFMRWkAEIhdN.png

EHMqFMRWoAIEH_l.jpg

🤔

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So basically what Netflix used to have on the Xbox 360, but on Twitch with Amazon. Neat.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What if a streamer is in another country with different content than my countries amazon prime? Can i see it or is the movie stream region locked?

Here in germany we have doom patrol on prime for example

Edit: ah Limited catalog. That would make sense. Only content that is worldwide available

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like an attempt to rope more people into getting Amazon Prime.

"Oh, my favorite streamer is watching xyz and I can't watch his stream because I need Amazon Prime to participate? Man...."

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That was an idea that Cohhcarnage, itmeJP and Ezekiel discussed on Dropped Frames some months ago.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite twitch experiences was during the power rangers marathon. More twitch chat to tv or music sounds appealing

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This actually sounds like a good idea.

It requiring Amazon Prime is meh, but I guess that's legally to only way to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the benefit of this. If 2 people with Amazon Prime wanted to watch content simultaneously and felt the need to communicate with each other during that they could already do so?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
So basically what Netflix used to have on the Xbox 360, but on Twitch with Amazon. Neat.
That was great. Had some good times on nights in high school with friends when it was too late to go out.
I don't get the benefit of this. If 2 people with Amazon Prime wanted to watch content simultaneously and felt the need to communicate with each other during that they could already do so?
It's mighty convenient to have it queued up so the timing is right!

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Companies advertising their services is so evil, oh no.

Until now you were able to click on any stream available on twitch and watch it for free. This introduces a feature that undermines this baseline.

This isn't just "Companies promoting their services".

It is taking away your ability to watch your favorite streamer until you cough up the money for amazon prime.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Until now you were able to click on any stream available on twitch and watch it for free. This introduces a feature that undermines this baseline.

It is taking away your ability to watch your favorite streamer until you cough up the money for amazon prime.
Next thing you'll tell me is that game companies give streamers games to stream so that people will buy those as well.

Real talk though, if they're going to do this, it only makes sense that everyone has to actually have the service to watch as well. It seems like an alright deal to me. But yes it's totally going to get more people to buy Prime.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not true. Sub only streams are already a thing, as is sub only chat. This introduces nothing, from your point, that isn't already there.

All this is doing is giving streamers another way to interact with their communities.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Next thing you'll tell me is that game companies give streamers games to stream so that people will buy those as well.

Those game companies can't leverage their platform (twitch) into pressuring people to buy their product (amazon prime) though. They have to convince on the strength of their product, the game.

Not true. Sub only streams are already a thing, as is sub only chat. This introduces nothing, from your point, that isn't already there.

All this is doing is giving streamers another way to interact with their communities.

I mean, technically you are correct about sub streams being a thing but in the end sub streams were a gigantic failure that pretty much no one uses on any regular basis so that doesn't account for much.

And you are right about this giving streamers another way to interact! But this is also giving twitch the ability to pressure people into amazon prime.

Newsflash; every company is trying to do that.

That doesn't make it fine or not worthy pointing out though.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Those game companies can't leverage their platform (twitch) into pressuring people to buy their product (amazon prime) though. They have to convince on the strength of their product, the game.

I mean, technically you are correct about sub streams being a thing but in the end sub streams were a gigantic failure that pretty much no one uses on any regular basis so that doesn't account for much.

And you are right about this giving streamers another way to interact! But this is also giving twitch the ability to pressure people into amazon prime.

Pressure people?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It's mighty convenient to have it queued up so the timing is right
Still seems like a pretty niche area of application.
I'm sure it is. I just have fond memories of watching Netflix with friends on xbox live in high school.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I follow a channel that does movie nights. They're always movies that can be legally streamed, and it's pretty fun to have a few guys riffing on the movie, engaging with chat, it's a good time.
This would open up a bunch of new possibilities, unless I'm missing something.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I mean on a grandscale of evils of capitalism... this basically isn't one...

Like so what lol.

It's not pressuring.

If Netflix did it in their platform but required both to sub it's not pressuring

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Sounds like an attempt to rope more people into getting Amazon Prime.

"Oh, my favorite streamer is watching xyz and I can't watch his stream because I need Amazon Prime to participate? Man...."
This is a really cynical and frankly unrealistic take on a pretty neat service.
Of all the things that could move Prime subs, this ain't it.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I follow a channel that does movie nights. They're always movies that can be legally streamed, and it's pretty fun to have a few guys riffing on the movie, engaging with chat, it's a good time.
This would open up a bunch of new possibilities, unless I'm missing something.

Sounds like fun. What's the name of the channel?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
That's pretty neat, especially now that Amazon Prime went down to 18 euro per year and it includes Twitch Prime.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That isn't different than what hzappens with a few TV Series threads here on era. Just look at a TV Series OT on era that has dozens of pages per episode. When the episode airs you have chat-like discussions going on in the thread.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they opened it up so any twitch channel could do it freely - with the controls/subscription checks being done on amazons side,then it could be good - eg you could have a resetera movie/tv night with actual synced watching and chat

if this is limited to select twitchers it's less interesting

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Available in the us only at launch..

nto surprising but assuming the content is available in your region why not let you watch?

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why it's taken Netflix/Amazon so long to make a party system where a group of people can join a chat room and watch something together.