• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Yes, this is a reaction to TLOU 2, and the discourse around it. We all know how divisive this game is, and there are very valid criticisms people can have about this game, and they are definitely entitled to their opinion about it. However, I've been watching Twitch streamers react to this game in some very weird ways.

First off, video games are not a passive form of entertainment like films that you can enjoy with a bunch of people, and even in that case, you wouldn't want someone constantly commenting or reacting to every bit of it with you. Games are interactive by design, and I feel like because of this very nature, the interaction is much more personal and intimate.

I've seen people play the entirety of this game this with hundreds and thousands of people on chat commenting on every major story beat, and with the streamer reading those comments instead of digesting the scenes in front of them.

Angry Joe was playing this game with his 2 friends, and the entire chat. They would pass the controller around and Joe wasn't even in the room at some of the most crucial parts of the game. Then you have all these gamers claiming to have experienced the entire story by just watching the game on Twitch? Come on

If we want to give games the respect they deserve, especially when they're trying to tell stories, how can we do that so many people in the chat telling us how to feel about things?

This is not to say that people can't stream and enjoy a game together, but I think there's a place for everything. Narrative-driven games especially, deserve the intimacy they require to be digested.

EDIT: To everyone still replying and not reading my comment, I didn't mean to tell anyone that they're experience is invalid, it was to point out Streamers, and my frustration with them. Can a MOD close this?

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
People can play games in whatever setting they want (or in the case of streamers, whatever makes them money)

EDIT: just to be thorough as he is mentioned in the OP, fuck Angry Joe

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
You're basically saying "If you're not playing Last of Us 2 from start to finish completely alone, then you can't say you have properly experienced it."

I personally feel that's a limiting viewpoint. People experience games however they want to experience them. There's no right or wrong in this instance.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Every person engages with entertainment in a different manner. Some people, like you, need to fully focus on it and have their privacy (so to speak) others dont care and still can get value out of the stuff they play.

Deleted member 60772

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
Regardless of setting, if you're not paying attention to a narrative properly, you really shouldn't be passing comment or criticism on that narrative

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing the whole game through with my brother and often times friends watching. It has added a LOT to the experience. Whenever something crazy happens I get to see their reactions, be it story or combat.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I guess its similar to having a TV show on while you're making food or something; its just a more passive way to consume something than sitting down and giving it your full attention.

I don't really have any issue with it as long as that person understands they may have missed things by consuming it that way.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
If they're reviewing it I think they should be paying full attention to the story if it plays a part in their score, in the same way I hope film critics don't go have a smoke or something in the middle of a movie, but most of them are entertainers doing their job.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
To each their own. Personally I do generally prefer to play more narrative games alone the first time, but I'm also a sucker for reactions after the fact.

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Im gonna play games whatever way I like to, I listen to music while playing games, listen to podcasts etc.

Saying people have to shut themselves in alone to truly enjoy games is pretty idiotic

OP
OP
gitrektali

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I think I could have worded this better, but my original intent was to point out streamers that aren't even paying attention to the game, and are constantly checking the chat. This wasn't intended to tell someone how they experience something isn't true or anything, and now I feel like it wasn't clear in my OP. So can a Mod close this?

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
It's the opposite for me. I would likely never play a narrative-driven game myself since story and that stuff just isn't something I can get interested in. Watching a playthrough and seeing people's reaction is far more fun for me.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Reminds me of all those complaints about people not watching TV shows properly because they are looking at their phones half the time.

In the end, who cares?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If they enjoyed themselves, does it matter? A critic should give the art being critiqued their undivided attention, but people just playing the creation for entertainment purposes should do whatever they want.

Anyway, sorry in advance for the pile of derisive and insulting replies you're probably going to get.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
First off, video games are not a passive form of entertainment like films that you can enjoy with a bunch of people, and even in that case, you wouldn't want someone constantly commenting or reacting to every bit of it with you. Games are interactive by design, and I feel like because of this very nature, the interaction is much more personal and intimate.
Who the hell are you to decide how people should enjoy games

Oct 27, 2017

"Want your cake and eat it" springs to mind. Games are quite happy to trade on an intensely narrative focus, but you don't want people to focus on experiencing that narrative? I've not played TLoU2, but the first game is a specific example of a game I might have enjoyed more if I'd watched it instead.

I don't really see the problem. Going back to my youth with PS1 games, way before streaming, I can remember a lot of time simply hanging around passing the controller between friends as we'd just sit casually chatting and playing games. Even stuff like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear, which at the time were obviously considered the big narrative/immersion games.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Why do people care about youtuber/streamer opinions that much? I've seen this brought up a bunch in the spoiler thread as well. Oh, Pewdiepie didn't like it. Oh, Cohh didn't like it. Oh, this person or that person liked it.

Who gives a shit?

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the old fogeys complaining about music streaming services and how those darn kids can't appreciate Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or whatever 50-60 year old album if they don't listen to it from start to finish on vinyl.

Really, who cares how others prefer to enjoy games?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no fun allowed

OP the premise of your thread sucks. Just enjoy video games how YOU like to enjoy them.

Streamers aren't streaming the game to no one - If you don't like how a Streamer is playing, don't watch them.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend watched me play through Nier Automata and Xenoblade Chronicles and she was hooked. I don't think she would have enjoyed playing them herself at all.

OP
OP
gitrektali

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Who are you to decide how someone enjoys a game.
Sounds like the old fogeys complaining about music streaming services and how those darn kids can't appreciate Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or whatever 50-60 year old album if they don't listen to it from start to finish on vinyl.

Who the hell are you to decide how people should enjoy games
Im gonna play games whatever way I like to, I listen to music while playing games, listen to podcasts etc.

Saying people have to shut themselves in alone to truly enjoy games is pretty idiotic

Obviously my intent wasn't worded correctly in the OP, and I didn't mean to invalidate how people experience things. My post came out of frustration from Twitch streamers. I've already written that I want this thread to be closed, since it was stupid.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Streamers aren't all the same with how they act to begin with. And lots of people will sit together to watch games with a big narrative focus be played.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you're not playing you're getting a passive experience, like watching a movie.
At least for the gameplay sections you won't feel like you're driving the story, are part of it.

Playing a story-focused game with people around, physically or digitally, can remove a lot of the immersion and tension, make it more of a social event.

I definitely prefer maximizing immersion. But people are free to experience game's stories however they want.

Joe Vargas is an asshole who silences, lies about and sics his fans on women who share their experience with his creepy, manipulative behavior.
I wouldn't watch anything with him in it.

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously my intent wasn't worded currently in the OP, and I didn't mean to invalidate how people experience things. My post came out of frustration from Twitch streamers. I've already written that I want this thread to be closed, since it was stupid.
This is how a lot of people play games, not just Twitch streamers. Sitting alone, concentrated from start to finish with headphones on or whatever is just one part of the audience. I'm surprised you seem surprised tbh.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I think youtube lets plays is the maximum extent I'd go to watch someone play narrative driven games. But most people are now streaming it on twitch and then putting that clip on youtube for double profit, so I've stopped caring about them entirely.

blalala

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people care about youtuber/streamer opinions that much? I've seen this brought up a bunch in the spoiler thread as well. Oh, Pewdiepie didn't like it. Oh, Cohh didn't like it. Oh, this person or that person liked it.

Who gives a shit?

A lot of people, actually. They're called influencers for a reason. People look to their favorite content creator for buying decisions based on previous likes and dislikes.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
In Angry Joe's case he made it very clear before the game even released that he wasn't gonna give it a fair shot. I think he only streamed his playthrough to capitalize on the "hate" around the game.

But while he and some other streamers might not have given a chance to the game by going through it in way sub-optimal conditions (state of mind, attention paid to chat, ...) I don't think we can generalize. I watched portions of the Girlfriend Reviews streams, and I can confidently that they both probably enjoyed it better that way than if they'd gone through it alone. Yes the impact narratives have on someone are a personal matter, but just because it's personal doesn't mean that someone else's input can't help put things in perspective.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Streamers by and large appear to have a negative opinion of the TLOU2's story which bothers some people, frankly not sure why, but I guess they are influencers. So questioning how one engages with the game becomes a way to undermine/invalidate their opinion. The game sold over 4 million copies over 3 days. I am not sure how much more validation one needs to show that the game was a success and their personal experience with the game was worthwhile.

Oct 27, 2017
Streamers by and large appear to have a negative opinion of the TLOU2's story which bothers some people, frankly not sure why, but I guess they are influencers. So questioning how one engages with the game becomes a way to undermine/invalidate their opinion. The game sold over 4 million copies over 3 days. I am not sure how much more validation one needs to show that the game was a success and their personal experience with the game was worthwhile.

The game is not fully validated until the Pope himself beatifies it :p

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
A lot of people, actually. They're called influencers for a reason. People look to their favorite content creator for buying decisions based on previous likes and dislikes.
Yes, but I'm specifically talking about the people who aren't looking to them for purchasing decisions. People who already bought and played the game.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I for one have been watching this streamer. He has played like 12, and he loves the game.

In the time of these 12h, they got at least 10 donations with messages of how shit the story is and how they should not like it because x. I dont blame the streamers but twitch's toxic community. It sucks, but like at the end of the day, whatever.

Edit: same thing happened with girlfriendreviews.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like this "should be played alone" suggestion only applies to serious games like TLOU2, so not all narrative-driven games. I mean, say change the game to Kingdom Hearts or something, then playing with friends/chat is suddenly the better experience.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I for one have been watching this streamer. He has played like 12, and he loves the game.

In the time of these 12h, they got at least 10 donations with messages of how shit the story is and how they should not like it because x. I dont blame the streamers but twitch's toxic community. It sucks, but like at the end of the day, whatever.

Edit: same thing happened with girlfriendreviews.

Wholeheartedly agree. I think there is a fair argument to be made that streamers are playing to their audience/community.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, single player story driven games just can't catch a break, can they? Over the decades we had endless reasons why they are "dying", and now in 2020 it's because streamers don't like them? So tired of this bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.