• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I get it dude, you've watched many out of context clips and dislike the guy and are somehow mad he donated to a country that just got invaded. I'm gonna be honest, I'm done interacting with you. You dislike the guy, I get it. Go watch more out of context clips and use them as a talking point somewhere else.

The post you're replying to literally said "it's great that he donated" yet you're still trying to paint this discussion as people being mad about this fundraiser.

The fucking reading comprehension of some of you.

Aug 27, 2018
The post you're replying to literally said "it's great that he donated" yet you're still trying to paint this discussion as people being mad about this fundraiser.

The fucking reading comprehension of some of you.
Yeah, they're instead mad that he had a bad take by assuming Putin wouldn't pursue the lose/lose scenario of invading another country for literally no reason.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
So many on the left seem more interested in outrage, drama and eating each other alive than anything actually productive. And this is why they keep losing. They expect everyone to be perfect 100% of the time and be in lockstep with whatever the talking points are and any deviation is a grave offense. I really am worried about people who demand perfection and have such a black and white outlook on everything.

Hasan and his community did a great thing. But for some people nothing he does will ever be enough. It's pathetic.

I remember this stream VERY differently from you.

Walker was steamrolled and was in general embarrassing to watch. Would literally be shown things of why his viewpoints were problematic and got blasted by most people. Hasan and his friend came across sympathetic and calm, trying to explain points in clear and concise ways, and Christian came across as a spoiled, entitled child.

It's because they expected them to just scream at his face for 5 hours non stop. What people don't realize is that's not how you get people to change their minds about things. Walker came off as a massive dumbass and I'm glad Hasan and his friend didn't resort to acting like idiots.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're instead mad that he had a bad take by assuming Putin wouldn't pursue the lose/lose scenario of invading another country for literally no reason.
Literally no one is upset that he was wrong, whole countries with dozens of actual experts studying the situation got it wrong. The issue is that he justified his prediction with conspiracy theory nonsense, discredited experts for no legitimate reason, and never backed off from his baseless explanations even after they were pretty clearly proven to be wrong.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I am subtly trying to point out to you that a bad faith actor who is a horrible person is likely going to be representing hasan out of context and in bad faith (and I think he is banned here, so we shouldn't be using him as a source)

He basically defends the annexation of Crimea in the first couple of minutes of this video.

He didn't justify [the annexation of Crimea], he talked through Russia's viewpoint -- prephasing it by saying that they're shit.
Hasan has used ethnographic data and opinion polls conducted after the invasion to imply that Russia has a historical and sympathetic claim to Crimea. (One can, of course, use all sorts of data to justify all sorts of annexations.) This is Putin propaganda.

In his streams leading up to the invasion, I don't believe he once balanced that with a condemnation of the annexation. It's concerning to say the least.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't an apology, it's a temper tantrum from a grown child. This was supposed to paint him in a better light?

And why does he say "President Brandon" so freely? This is your king?

God, come on. I totally understand the distaste for Hasan, I myself barely watch him these days, but glimpsing into a community you're wholly unfamiliar with and assuming the absolute worst is just odd.

"Why does he say President Brandon so freely?" is such a hilarious bit of indignation, honestly. Even putting aside that you're unfamiliar with the in-jokes and discursive rhythms at play here, I wasn't aware that referring to Biden that way was entering some highly sensitive territory.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
So many on the left seem more interested in outrage, drama and eating each other alive than anything actually productive. And this is why they keep losing. They expect everyone to be perfect 100% of the time and be in lockstep with whatever the talking points are and any deviation is a grave offense. I really am worried about people who have such a black and white outlook on everything.

Hasan and his community did a great thing. But for some people it will never be enough. It's pathetic.
The simple truth is that some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Leftism will eat itself alive if "here's their viewpoint and here's exactly why it's wrong" just permanently becomes 30 second clips of "here's their viewpoint".

The left (and especially the Very Online Left" has been a circular firing squad for years.

The team motto might as well be "You're wrong, you piece of shit".

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know...it would really be something if ERA held Hasan to the same standards that they hold everyone else.

Imagine a scenario if someone came in countless threads and defended J. K Rowling's transphobia, for instance

"Oh, but it's okay you see because she is the author of those books I like and those have done good in the world and, she is just human, we all make mistakes sometimes, it's not like certain public figures are held to a higher standard or anything!"

By that brain dead logic everything that she said on twitter would be forgiven, if after days of doubling down, she came out and did a donation for a trans cause (paid mostly by her fans of course) And everyone is supposed to be sitting here in a fresh thread and applaud her for that and be impressed? Just lap it up, all is fotgiven...REALLY?

"Oh and i'm sure Colin Moriarty isn't a misogynist or anything. Yup.... he just made a silly little joke on twitter. I would do the same! Look I really liked Podcast Beyond and Colin likes the same games as me, so he must be a good dude, right?" Can we all just like get along?

NO like fuck off with this BS!

I'm so sick and tired of folks on this site (and elsewhere) giving this clown an endless series of passes just because he "promotes leftist views" He is scum and I haven't heard a single good take for why it is okay for him to keep spouting complete nonsense about the Russian invasion and exploiting the deaths of Ukrainians for his amusement, while they are happening in real-time. Oh but just you wait, yes wait for what? Oh "the context" Right there, the context! That's what missing. Everything dumb Hasan has ever said, is just out of context.

I have friends who I have known for most of my life that are from Ukraine and boy CAN'T wait till I tell them what Hasan the BIG MAN has done for them. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Give me a fucking break! Fuck this douche and if you still feel like defending him. FUCK YOU TOO

Edit: Saw that Drek got banned for a very level-headed take. Fuck this shit.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't an apology, it's a temper tantrum from a grown child. This was supposed to paint him in a better light?

Because he's fucking memeing and making fun of the stupid hogs that say that shit in earnest. There is a lot of in-jokes and bits that people are taking passing glances at his stream and assuming the worst from.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all need to relax.

He was skeptical of Western intelligence and intentions, dug in a little further than was justified, his conclusions were proven wrong, he apologized, and now he's doing nice things like raising money for Ukraine.

Yeah, he's said some very moronic things along the way. It's whatever. I don't expect Twitch streamers to maintain the most reasoned discourse all the time, but I do expect them to be responsive to evolving situations. He's done that, even if I still don't entirely agree with where he's landed.
The funny part to me is that he seems to have gone around claiming that the troops are just there for exercises, the idea that they'd invade Ukraine is Western fearmongering, and Putin wouldn't actually send troops in. Then when he does send troops into the Donbas he makes that "apology" video wherein he goes "OK I was wrong, he did send troops in." Then seconds later he turns around and claims this idea that they will go on to invade the rest of Ukraine and attack Kyiv is just Western fearmongering. He really does not seem to have learned his lesson here. I hope his chatters are holding him to account somewhat for repeatedly holding a strong position that A will happen and the notion that B will happen is just state propaganda uncritically pushed by the lamestream media, only for B to happen.

But it is nice that he's doing something for Ukrainians at least.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
You know...it would really be something if ERA held Hasan to the same standards that they hold everyone else.

Imagine a scenario if someone came in countless threads and defended J. K Rowling's transphobia, for instance

"Oh, but it's okay you see because she is the author of those books I like and those have done good in the world and, she is just human, we all make mistakes sometimes, it's not like certain public figures are held to a higher standard or anything!"

By that brain dead logic everything that she said on twitter would be forgiven, if after days of doubling down, she came out and did a donation for a trans cause (paid mostly by her fans of course) And everyone is supposed to be sitting here in a fresh thread and applaud her for that and be impressed? Just lap it up, all is fotgiven...REALLY?

"Oh and i'm sure Colin Moriarty isn't a misogynist or anything. Yup.... he just made a silly little joke on twitter. I would do the same! Look I really liked Podcast Beyond and Colin likes the same games as me, so he must be a good dude, right?" Can we all just like get along?

NO like fuck off with this BS!

I'm so sick and tired of folks on this site (and elsewhere) giving this clown an endless series of passes just because he "promotes leftist views" He is scum and I haven't heard a single good take for why it is okay for him to keep spouting complete nonsense about the Russian invasion and exploiting the deaths of Ukrainians for his amusement, while they are happening in real-time. Oh but just you wait, yes wait for what? Oh "the context" Right there, the context! That's what missing. Everything dumb Hasan has ever said, is just out of context.

I have friends who I have known for most of my life that are from Ukraine and boy CAN'T wait till I tell them what Hasan the BIG MAN has done for them. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Give me a fucking break! Fuck this douche and if you still feel like defending him. FUCK YOU TOO

Edit: Saw that Drek got banned for a very level-headed take. Fuck this shit.
I don't watch Hasan, I've read 6 pages of this thread and everything good or bad I know about comes from you and others in the thread.

So far... it seems like he was wrong about a political situation for a short amount of time, apologized and corrected himself for being wrong, and is bringing a ton of awareness now. I guess I'm missing something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but I don't see how that's the same as what Rowling is doing. I would love to hear it so I know what everyone is talking about.

If this is just a personal vendetta for other unrelated reasons, I would not call it level headed to use the ongoing tragedy as a springboard for that.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Hasan, from what I've seen of him as part of collaborations with folks I watch, as well as the occasional snippet that crosses my way, comes across as a bit of a twat.
Destiny, every time I've seen anything from him - which is thankfully rarer and rarer - comes across...well, so much worse than a twat
It is unequivocally a good thing that Hasan, and his community, has raised this amount of money for the people of Ukraine, when they need all the help they can get.

These three statements are not at odds with each other.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
"President Brandon" is an inside joke in his community meant to mock far-right Trump supporters. He is in no way a right-leaning supporter.

I get that. The "this is your king" was a joke itself.

Because he's fucking memeing and making fun of the stupid hogs that say that shit in earnest. There is a lot of in-jokes and bits that people are taking passing glances at his stream and assuming the worst from.
I was literally asking as a person who is unfamiliar. You should fucking relax.

God, come on. I totally understand the distaste for Hasan, I myself barely watch him these days, but glimpsing into a community you're wholly unfamiliar with and assuming the absolute worst is just odd.

"Why does he say President Brandon so freely?" is such a hilarious bit of indignation, honestly. Even putting aside that you're unfamiliar with the in-jokes and discursive rhythms at play here, I wasn't aware that referring to Biden that way was entering some highly sensitive territory.
No, he was literally striking about because he was wrong, with zero humility. That's a tantrum. Someone posted it as "see he apologized" and that was definitely not what was on display.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch Hasan, I've read 6 pages of this thread and everything good or bad I know about comes from you and others in the thread.

So far... it seems like he was wrong about a political situation for a short amount of time, apologized and corrected himself for being wrong, and is bringing a ton of awareness now. I guess I'm missing something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but I don't see how that's the same as what Rowling is doing. I would love to hear it so I know what everyone is talking about.

If this is just a personal vendetta for other unrelated reasons, I would not call it level headed to use the ongoing tragedy as a springboard for that.

Yeah, I feel the same. I clicked the thread because of the Elden Ring gimmick but I didn't expect to see this level of anger and I can't quite make total sense of it.. especially when people are putting him on the same level as JK Rowling.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yeah, I feel the same. I clicked the thread because of the Elden Ring gimmick but I didn't expect to see this level of anger and I can't quite make total sense of it.. especially when people are putting him on the same level as JK Rowling.

I remember him playing down and minimizing the transphobia in Cyberpunk right before it came out but that this obviously very different than being an active transphobe every single day.

I think ultimately though it's okay to ask people like Hasan to do better and people can be skeptical of his apology until he builds a track record of doing better. This is a good start.

On the same note, he's run into a few rakes before (as the aforementioned Cyberpunk thing) that were pretty much self-owns and I think there is nothing wrong with pointing that out and asking him to be better and not get extremely defensive when he's called out about some of the things he's said.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Hasan gets clipped out of context so often that I start wondering if the reactions to him are completely socially engineered and not like informed.

Yeah he's had a few bad takes, but comparing him to fucking JK Rowling is some wild shit.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The funny part to me is that he seems to have gone around claiming that the troops are just there for exercises, the idea that they'd invade Ukraine is Western fearmongering, and Putin wouldn't actually send troops in. Then when he does send troops into the Donbas he makes that "apology" video wherein he goes "OK I was wrong, he did send troops in." Then seconds later he turns around and claims this idea that they will go on to invade the rest of Ukraine and attack Kyiv is just Western fearmongering. He really does not seem to have learned his lesson here. I hope his chatters are holding him to account somewhat for repeatedly holding a strong position that A will happen and the notion that B will happen is just state propaganda uncritically pushed by the lamestream media, only for B to happen.

But it is nice that he's doing something for Ukrainians at least.

I haven't been watching his streams, but his tweets after the invasion gave me the impression he was appropriately shook. For instance.

I don't expect him to do a complete 180 here, though, no. Like I said earlier, he dug in more than was ever justified, but I broadly sympathize with what seem to be his two driving impulses: one, the idea that there's an imperative to be skeptical of US narratives, and two, the idea that it's irrational and shocking for a state to act in the way Russia has been. I basically agree with Big Joel's criticism:

He fucked up, and he needs to modulate his approach, but I don't expect him to ditch his framework entirely.

No, he was literally striking about because he was wrong, with zero humility. That's a tantrum. Someone posted it as "see he apologized" and that was definitely not what was on display.

Sorry, the tantrum characterization I 100% understand. He has those on the daily. I found myself confused by your adverse reaction to the President Brandon thing, though.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main reason i think people are on Hasan's ass is because he was super arrogant about his Russia position. And as a political commentator, if you're wrong about something it looks super bad when you were extra cocky about it. He was so wrong, people should be questioning any political opinions he has. And also his apology also contains defense for Russian annexation of Crimea - which like... did he really learn anything from this experience? It's doubtful. He's one of the biggest political commentators on the internet - certainly of the left; why shouldn't he be held to high standards?

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017

It is an inside joke with the communit
So many on the left seem more interested in outrage, drama and eating each other alive than anything actually productive. And this is why they keep losing. They expect everyone to be perfect 100% of the time and be in lockstep with whatever the talking points are and any deviation is a grave offense. I really am worried about people who demand perfection and have such a black and white outlook on everything.

Hasan and his community did a great thing. But for some people nothing he does will ever be enough. It's pathetic.

It's because they expected them to just scream at his face for 5 hours non stop. What people don't realize is that's not how you get people to change their minds about things. Walker came off as a massive dumbass and I'm glad Hasan and his friend didn't resort to acting like idiots.

This type of faux outrage is normal when it comes to Hasan and has only increased since he bought the house. Twitter/reddit has tried to cancel him for buying a house, buying a Porsche, paying for dinner for his friends, watching Masterchef, etc. It isn't new, but it definitely gets old. Because he describes himself as a socialist, leftist believe he should give everything he owns away. Just check the Destiny subreddit to see the hate people have for him.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
It is an inside joke with the communit

This type of faux outrage is normal when it comes to Hasan and has only increased since he bought the house. Twitter/reddit has tried to cancel him for buying a house, buying a Porsche, paying for dinner for his friends, watching Masterchef, etc. It isn't new, but it definitely gets old. Because he describes himself as a socialist, leftist believe he should give everything he owns away. Just check the Destiny subreddit to see the hate people have for him.
I thought that was weird. I remember when that happened, reading some threads trying to figure out who this guy is and why people were upset, and I remember seeing people saying stuff like "he could've rented in X city in Texas for only Y" - which, sure, but isn't that contributing to gentrification? As long as he didn't become a landlord I don't think it went against any leftist views.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Wow, this thread. This is why streamers usually don't do good things. Some one will just say, "well, you're a millionaire, why don't you donate more". It's better to not do anything, like every single other rich streamer, and not get any attention on you.

Anyway, good on him and his community for giving.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was weird. I remember when that happened, reading some threads trying to figure out who this guy is and why people were upset, and I remember seeing people saying stuff like "he could've rented in X city in Texas for only Y" - which, sure, but isn't that contributing to gentrification? As long as he didn't become a landlord I don't think it went against any leftist views.
Yeah I think the bigger issue I have with that is whether it's moral for someone to become wealthy by selling communist political beliefs in the first place. I think it's not for a few reasons. But you are right that if he has that much money, it would actually be worse to move into a lower income neighborhood.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The funny thing is that he actually kinda took back his apology a bit later, after a bunch of his chatters effectively told him the people demanding an apology were just liberals and haters disingenuously looking for a cudgel to beat him with.

He also did a somewhat petulant routine where he put "PUTIN IS BAD" in big letters across his stream for days, after getting called out for being overly sympathetic to the Russian (well... Putin) perspective.

I actually don't mind Hasan for the most part, but the cocky know-it-all leftist schtick wears thin on me after a while.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Leftism to some incorporates that whole black and white "All 1%ers are inherently evil and perpetuate injustice" and since he's one of them I guess it doesn't matter what he does with the money.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of legitimate criticism to level at Hasan, his Ukraine takes were fucking atrocious once it became clear to seemingly everyone but him Putin was going to invade. I could understand where he was coming from at first, afaik his position on US foreign policy has always been "America bad" and it's fair to be skeptical of the state department, NATO, and the alphabet agencies. Although after a certain point it was obvious what was happening and he refused to yield that position.

Dude's far from perfect, it's clear he doesn't take criticism all that well, and his inner frat boy tends to poke through a lot. I don't think he should have platformed Christian Walker either to be honest, but complaining about stuff like the house and the Porsche is bitch eating crackers tier of criticism. I'm glad he at least admitted he was wrong on the invasion even if that apology came coupled with a really sussy Crimea take. It also doesn't hurt that he's putting his money where his mouth is and donating. Ultimately, I think he's still an asset to the left.

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa

There are lots of people who actively hate Hasan. He has to be careful who he raids(passes his viewers onto) as it has been a source of "hate raiding". The debate bros who ruled politics on twitch before him are the source of this rage. Hasan is an entertaining leftist minded himbo and he seems like a person with his heart in the right place. Anyone hating on him so far has been terribly unconvincing.

There's plenty of legitimate criticism to level at Hasan, his Ukraine takes were fucking atrocious once it became clear to seemingly everyone but him Putin was going to invade. I could understand where he was coming from at first, afaik his position on US foreign policy has always been "America bad" and it's fair to be skeptical of the state department, NATO, and the alphabet agencies. Although after a certain point it was obvious what was happening and he refused to yield that position.

Dude's far from perfect, it's clear he doesn't take criticism all that well, and his inner frat boy tends to poke through a lot. I don't think he should have platformed Christian Walker either to be honest, but complaining about stuff like the house and the Porsche is bitch eating crackers tier of criticism. I'm glad he at least admitted he was wrong on the invasion even if that apology came coupled with a really sussy Crimea take. It also doesn't hurt that he's putting his money where his mouth is and donating. Ultimately, I think he's still an asset to the left.

His take was that the US was giving support to the literal Nazis and nationalist in Ukraine. When Putin tried to use that as an excuse he called it bullshit. He was just wrong on Putin invading as we're so many including the Ukrainians who were asking for the US to temper our response.

Last edited:

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
If someone says something dumb but then apologises and donates $150,000 I'd say all is forgiven.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I'm just flabbergasted at the whole grifting thing? Like why do these people think this? I just do not get it. I thought Era was supposed to be better than this

Leftists fight one another over literally the most asinine reasons. Probably why we can't get anything done. I don't know which mindset I'd prefer, constant infighting and an inability to join together to create a larger movement or seeing Nazis join your ranks and thinking "hey, atleast we've got mostly the same goals, the more the merrier."

Nah, I definitely prefer infighting. Nothing will get done but that's better than showing Americans what it's like to finally have a majority of government that can finally agree on something and get shit done, that shit being Nazi shit.

Last edited:

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah I think the bigger issue I have with that is whether it's moral for someone to become wealthy by selling communist political beliefs in the first place. I think it's not for a few reasons. But you are right that if he has that much money, it would actually be worse to move into a lower income neighborhood.

Communism doesn't mean you have to be poor or solidly middle class. Well, the concept of class would be obsolete in the first place, but he's not living in a communist society. You can't exactly live up to all "communist morals" in a non-communist society. He's not exploiting the working class in anyway afaik, unless you count donations from people who personally want to give him money.

Personally, I applaud anyone who can remove themselves from the daily grind of being someone else's bitch, while also being able to be the biggest advocate and voice for the movement. Extra props if they can live comfortably enough doing so, that's the dream.

I feel like one of the biggest problems people have with communism is the idea that luxuries and personal identities have to be squashed so everyone can live the same mundane lives in brutalist blocks and the same grey outfits. I don't know many people who find that appealing. That's not gonna change if communists themselves start to believe this too and live lives that reflect that. People can call it hypocritical, as they have and continue to, and therefore push away the ideology because the biggest advocates apparently don't "practice what they preach", but he's still showing people that this isn't what all communists want. If they could get past that and start thinking about the ideas being presented, as many have, then the movement can grow and grow with a healthier appreciation of ones self worth.

He'd be doing himself and the movement a disservice if he was extremely modest and showing that that's what it takes to be a communist. We might as well start lashing ourselves on twitch and doing live organ donations and whatnot.

Last edited:

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
its good that Hassan donated so much money, anything to help.

This however doesn't absolve him from the godawful takes he had before all this, he repeatedly tried to make out like this was the west stoking fears and warmongering then when they did invade "apologized" by moving the goalposts to "well they rent going to attack kyiv" and now look. it seems he has a bit of a blind spot, on this topic and probably should stop talking about it because he clearly isn't as knowledgeable as he things he is.

Yeah I'll give him credit for admitting he's wrong unlike a lot of other people who just conveniently stopped talking about the situation after Russia invaded Ukraine. But I'm baffled by the posts here saying he's done more for Ukrainians than the posters criticizing him? Like, no shit he's a millionaire, he can afford to donate $150k unlike your random era poster. It's literally the least he could do. Rich people have been donating to charities since the dawn of time including evil, rich people. It doesn't erase the bad shit they do. Seeing all this intense defense of him is really weird but I guess twitch streamers are especially good at cultivating this type of fanboyism with crazy, intense fans who will stay blindly loyal to them no matter what.

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
The same agencies that ring the alarm bells about dumb shit like Havana syndrome and weapons of mass destruction??? Are we really rewriting history already that everything that comes from intelligence is accurate and shouldn't be analyzed critically?

Russia was literally moving military units in position to invade. It would be one thing if it was just US agencies saying it without any evidence but the evidence was available for everyone to see. They just didn't want to admit it because "US bad."

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I'm fascinated about the intersection of having bad takes from time to time, what constitutes an apology, and what is actually worth grilling someone about.

In this instance, it seems that someone said some dumb shit about the invasion, and then went on to raise a significant donation to Ukraine. In fact, it would appear that he has single handedly raised more for Ukraine in a day, then anyone on Era so far (I assume). That's not a dig at Era, but I think we could all use a little perspective. Sometimes people say stupid shit while also doing the right thing. Probably doesn't hurt to call it out and hope that things improve a bit. But I really don't see the value in hounding this guy, or comparing him to some top tier shitheads. Direct that energy at the people who really deserve it.

I also want to clarify that I'm not a fan of Hasanabi. Have seen a few clips over time, but don't watch his stream etc.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't even come close to the damage he has done with his ill informed takes and misinformation. He really should work on platforming people who know what they are talking about to his massive audience.

But good on him I guess.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
ya'll have some STRONG opinions about a streamer. maybe go touch some grass? I promise it will help. there are plenty of other things out there worthy of your anger.

interesting how so many here are quick to point out that he is wealthy. and that he was afraid of losing sub/money. verrrrry interesting for sure
And yet this post is, like, the most stand-offish, provoking, insulting, disdainful, plain mean and simply unpleasant one of the entire thread. I'm convinced this is not a good way to calm down participants with too much anger :/

Edit: after sending i saw that there's multiple pages afterwards :) and yeah, quoted post is not the only one.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fascinated about the intersection of having bad takes from time to time, what constitutes an apology, and what is actually worth grilling someone about.

In this instance, it seems that someone said some dumb shit about the invasion, and then went on to raise a significant donation to Ukraine. In fact, it would appear that he has single handedly raised more for Ukraine in a day, then anyone on Era so far (I assume). That's not a dig at Era, but I think we could all use a little perspective. Sometimes people say stupid shit while also doing the right thing. Probably doesn't hurt to call it out and hope that things improve a bit. But I really don't see the value in hounding this guy, or comparing him to some top tier shitheads. Direct that energy at the people who really deserve it.

I also want to clarify that I'm not a fan of Hasanabi. Have seen a few clips over time, but don't watch his stream etc.

I wanna clarify that it wasn't just some dumb shit. It was over a week of constant shouting, being overly confident in his questionable takes. Hasan despises american government, especially their foreign policy, more than anything and that clearly got in his way of judging the situation.

It's one thing to be skeptical about there being an invasion (because that's fine)and its another to spout your ignorant takes constantly while shooting anyone down that tries to offer a counterarguement.

People say he spouted russian propaganda. I'd say that may be too far, but he did sound like one of those russian shill accounts that tried at every turn to downplay a very serious threat.

its great that he puts his money where his mouth is, and that's a pretty damn good apology. So I'm not like, wow, he is irreedemable trash or whatever, he's aklready done 100x more than most other person with a big following would after a fuck up like this. But, it also doesn't really absolve him of criticism imo.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to break your inner fighting guys, but... He died 15k times in 24 hours? Or was he counting previous streams for that as well?

Edit: Oh, sorry, I've read that "viewers counted", but does it mean viewers dying in their own playthroughs? Or donations?

stwrt

Oct 25, 2017
This guy had bad takes? I am truly shocked.

I watched his video where he said he was wrong. Though he spent most of it complaining about the US, and then the rest of the video moaning about comments about him on twitter.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Hasan is an absolute moron and a POS.

Good he's doing this at least but that still doesn't mean he isn't an absolute moron. His "apology video" is incredibly stupid.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
The simple truth is that some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.
Go to basically any thread about an individual or group on this forum and you can guarantee 20% of the posts will be talking about why X doesn't deserve a platform, feigning shock that the world has forgiven/forgotten about how they once said X, or how they're somewhere on a scale from problematic to cruelty incarnate, regardless of *any* actions performed before or since.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

He's not a communist.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Go to basically any thread about an individual or group on this forum and you can guarantee 20% of the posts will be talking about why X doesn't deserve a platform, feigning shock that the world has forgiven/forgotten about how they once said X, or how they're somewhere on a scale from problematic to cruelty incarnate, regardless of *any* actions performed before or since.

People here acting like being wrong sometimes is an unforgivable crime lol

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone says dumb shit from time to time, but it is kinda Hasan's job to say not dumb things about politics so it's definitely worthy of harsher criticism than most people deserve. He's the biggest politics streamer on Twitch and hundreds of thousands of people get info and perspective about domestic and world events from him. Just speaking on the "Russia won't invade", "Russia won't attack Kyiv" stuff, it kind of sounds like he dismissed it based on "the US and the lamestream media is dishonest, therefore if they claim something I'll believe the opposite"-type thinking (despite there also being evidence outside of anything western officials were saying). Anyone who's talked to flat earthers knows how this attitude leads you straight into a delusional fantasyland with little hope of escape.

Instead of saying "I was wrong" and then immediately exercising the exact same thinking that made him wrong last time, going on and on about how the US and media is "straight up lying" about Russia planning to attack Kyiv "and you dumbasses will believe it" etc. etc. I just want him to take a break from the constant raging at chat messages and tweets and reddit comments about him getting this stuff wrong, think about why he keeps getting it wrong, and change his thinking so that his viewers can get better analysis. The problem isn't that he was wrong, the problem is that there's an issue with his perspective that will continue to make him wrong in the future if he doesn't correct it.