• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lots of users in this thread casually using the C-word, I expect swift bans!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
First time I hear this was a slur lol. I'll still eat my Saiwa Premium crackers SENZA GRANELLI DI SALE IN SUPERFICIE

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People acting like cracker is anywhere near in the same universe as the weight that slurs used against non-white people have absolutely no clue what they are even talking about. Hasan is 100% right here. This all started the other day after a few of his mods were banned for using the word in chat he was pissed about that and now this.

Twitch is a fucking joke man. They'll ban you for saying cracker or simp but they don't actually do anything about people doing hate raids or harassing streamers. Fuck them.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
The dumbest thing about this (and it is pretty dumb) is how he wasn't even calling anyone a cracker, he was just discussing the term.

But hey, better ban this dude before his dangerous rhetoric causes a hate crime in.... like.... that English speaking country where white people are an oppressed minority, you know the one.

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Concern trolling about reverse racism
He wouldn't have gotten banned if he didn't get stunlocked about it for days, forcing Twitch to do something. Personally, I think it's inappropriate language and it's smarter for Twitch to take action rather than have it go unchecked.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
People acting like cracker is anywhere near in the same universe as the weight that slurs used against non-white people have absolutely no clue what they are even talking about. Hasan is 100% right here. This all started the other day after a few of his mods were banned for using the word in chat he was pissed about that and now this.

Twitch is a fucking joke man. They'll ban you for saying cracker or simp but they don't actually do anything about people doing hate raids or harassing streamers. Fuck them.
Simp is often used to degrade men who respect women in any way so deserved

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
A lot of white people really want the flavor and taste of being oppressed without actually ever being oppressed in reality.

Cracker is a perfect example of that.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Fragile ass Crackers gonna fragile...like crackers.

A lot of white people really want the flavor and taste of being oppressed without actually ever being oppressed in reality.

Cracker is a perfect example of that.

Basically. Now lets wait patiently to see how many bans there are in this thread...

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, is cunt no longer the C-word?

White people pretending being offended at that sure is an excuse to say a slur. "Well, I called you an because you called me an. Im treating you as an equal." "Its just a word bro"

Or twitch wants to eradicate all slurs. Even the white ones. Racism is defeated.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It doesn't bother me and it hardly gets used in the UK, but, it's not exactly a term of endearment , some people don't like it for real and also political convenience reasons and i can see why Twitch want fuck all to do with dealing with it.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
So a few people getting their head bitten off for suggesting this is just as they see it as a derogatory term/racial slur.

Have to be honest I assumed it was also (not that I'm in any way offended or arsed, perhaps a US thing), can someone explain it to me the intention of the term?

I did read this which was linked earlier, seems to originate from 'whip crackers' who were lower class workers? - https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/01/197644761/word-watch-on-crackers

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Question for Americans (where the use of the word is more common): what is the expected reaction from a white person when they are called cracker by someone from another race?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Lmao I love the word cracker, am here for white people embracing it and stop being so sensitive over it

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
He wouldn't have gotten banned if he didn't get stunlocked about it for days, forcing Twitch to do something. Personally, I think it's inappropriate language and it's smarter for Twitch to take action rather than have it go unchecked.
How is it "inappropriate" language? The term doesn't even have to do with skin color, technically, more so slave owners.

Why white people want you to believe cracker is racist

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
White people want you to believe cracker is racist because:
  • They do not believe the N word carries the weight that it does and believe cracker is a legitimate analog. Since cracker holds no power over other them and causes them no harm, they embrace the analogy so they can insist the same is true of the N word.

• Some white people believe that since their own claims of racism are spurious and arbitrary, then so are everyone else's. By embracing the claim that cracker is as offensive or powerful as the N word, they can now portray people as hypocrites for its utilization. By arguing hypocrisy they attempt to delegitimize claims of racism, which is their ultimate goal. They construct their false dichotomy as a choice between "black people are racist" and "racism is not real."

• Some other white people are eager to embrace cracker as a slur because it allows them to perform that they are oppressed. White people love the aesthetic of racial oppression, which they believe is a luxury denied to them and would afford them special privileges. Cracker lets them roleplay and attempt to claim these perceived privileges for themselves.

• Ultimately the major hunger to frame cracker as a mechanism of racial oppression is part of the endless bid to determine what is or is not racism, as controlling these concepts are integral to white supremacy.

Oct 2, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling about reverse racism. Prior for concern trolling with regards to inclusive language. Account in junior phase.
Edit: Deleted my post, decided its too early to debate with those that think it's ok to use maginitude of victimhood to justify any amount of racism including this word.

Oct 26, 2017
Question for Americans (where the use of the word is more common): what is the expected reaction from a white person when they are called cracker by someone from another race?
boondocks-racist.gif

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This thread is very confusing to me as a non English first language speaking person. Not sure if people are being sarcastic or not.

I thought cracker meant two things, a type of biscuit thingy and a person that produces cracks to work around security measurements.

What other context is it used in? First time hearing the word outside of the above two context.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'm not comfortable with people appropriating "the c-word" to now mean cracker rather than cunt.

Mar 11, 2020
Simp is often used to degrade men who respect women in any way so deserved
It's a term for a person who goes out of their way above and beyond the norm for another person whether that person cares or not, just because it was mostly said about men because it was mostly men who do this for women because they hope to one day get in their pants does not mean it was only about men. And it's definitely a stupid ban for it too. The fragility of white men is absurd. I say this as a white man.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
White people want you to believe cracker is racist because:
  • They do not believe the N word carries the weight that it does and believe cracker is a legitimate analog. Since cracker holds no power over other them and causes them no harm, they embrace the analogy so they can insist the same is true of the N word.

• Some white people believe that since their own claims of racism are spurious and arbitrary, then so are everyone else's. By embracing the claim that cracker is as offensive or powerful as the N word, they can now portray people as hypocrites for its utilization. By arguing hypocrisy they attempt to delegitimize claims of racism, which is their ultimate goal. They construct their false dichotomy as a choice between "black people are racist" and "racism is not real."

• Some other white people are eager to embrace cracker as a slur because it allows them to perform that they are oppressed. White people love the aesthetic of racial oppression, which they believe is a luxury denied to them and would afford them special privileges. Cracker lets them roleplay and attempt to claim these perceived privileges for themselves.

• Ultimately the major hunger to frame cracker as a mechanism of racial oppression is part of the endless bid to determine what is or is not racism, as controlling these concepts are integral to white supremacy.

I couldnt have framed it better. 100% this.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
This thread is very confusing to me as a non English first language speaking person. Not sure if people are being sarcastic or not.

I thought cracker meant two things, a type of biscuit thingy and a person that produces cracks to work around security measurements.

What other context is it used in? First time hearing the word outside of the above two context.
Cracker as in "cracking the whip" like a slave owner used to.

It has been suggested that white slave foremen in the antebellum South were called "crackers" owing to their practice of "cracking the whip" to drive and punish slaves.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP] Whips were also cracked over pack animals,[SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][17][/SUP] so "cracker" may have referred to whip-cracking more generally. According to An American Glossary (1912):[SUP][18][/SUP]

The whips used by some of these people are called 'crackers', from their having a piece of buckskin at the end. Hence the people who cracked the whips came to be thus named.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
What is the intended outcome of using the word? Genuinely curious. Is there a positive to it?
Don't think he should have been banned for it though.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, now I need to know who got offended by the word cracker? I mean, what does that word even refer to, can anyone even say definitively.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017

It's a derogatory term for white people (if such a thing can exist) that is short for "whipcracker".

Status
Not open for further replies.