• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm sure lots of them wouldn't renew, but the ones that do probably renew for several months, which will make up for quite a lot. To make the figure I'd claimed you'd only need 20% to stick and sub for 5 or 6 months.

It may well not be double but even 5% sticking around for 6 months would be 30% extra income.

This isn't aimed at you but I'm finding the third and fourth pages even more embarrassing than page 1...so many people worried about whether he was complaining or not when the point was he's been paying himself whilst making money for charity...and also asking for money towards charity when it's a really inefficient way to raise it.

If most people spent more than 10 seconds thinking about it they'd realise that. hey ho.

Despite the title of the op, this subathon was not aimed as a charity fundraiser and has never really been promoted as such. It was something he announced after it had already started, several hours in (maybe even a day or 2 in, I can't remember).
It's just a normal subathon that took off and he is also donation part of the proceeds to charity on his own volition.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: drive-by posting
Imagine complaining about taxes and revenue share on the platform that enables you to be famous, after making $150k in 10 days.

Let me bust out my littlest violin.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Read the Thread Before Replying
When you enter a thread please ensure that you have read beyond the title before you respond. The absolute minimum effort you should put in is to read the original post (OP) in its entirety, along with any threadmarks or staff posts. Asking questions that have already been answered in the OP or threadmarks adds nothing to a discussion. If it is clear that you have not read the thread and missed important information that was appropriately highlighted, you may be subject to moderation.

I think it's time to actually start enforcing this rule Mods, and apply it to people not reading the articles provided on OPs

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Good to know the hate boner for streamers/content creators is alive and well on resetera lmao

Some of y'all need to relax or learn how to read the actual content. Maybe both.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Did anyone in this thread actually read the article or know anything about this? Wasn't this a charity stream?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
On a side note, I kind of hate how stories like these love to point out how much people who get windfall have to pay taxes as if its this unexpected event. Not like us regular shmoes are like 'Yeah, at my current position I make 40k a year, but it's really 27k after taxes. We just say 'I make 40k'.

Also, so twitch tells you how much 'they' made and gives you a cut for it? That seems either weird (and leaves a space for content creators to get ripped off) or extremely surprisingly honest.
Yea regardless of if he's complaining here or not, it's baffling that people making high amounts of money feel the need to point out that some of it goes to taxes. That's not how anybody with a real job explains their salary. Are we supposed to feel bad that he (or anyone else) has to pay taxes?

GonzoCR

Oct 28, 2017

I think it's time to actually start enforcing this rule Mods, and apply it to people not reading the articles provided on OPs

When even mods frequently get caught not bothering to read past the thread title, it's never gonna happen.

On another topic, this forum has so much "old man yells at cloud" energy whenever streamers are mentioned, it's unbelievable.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
Yea regardless of if he's complaining here or not, it's baffling that people making high amounts of money feel the need to point out that some of it goes to taxes. That's not how anybody with a real job explains their salary. Are we supposed to feel bad that he (or anyone else) has to pay taxes?
I think it was mostly off the cuff viewers asking how much he made, and him indulging them with an explanation. There's context missing from the initial assumption that he's just providing earnings information just to flex.

Why Nathan Grayson decides it was worth writing an article about it really beats me. The workings of that man's mind is a mystery to me, besides the seemingly lowkey desire to stir shit up, which going by this thread clearly worked.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was mostly off the cuff viewers asking how much he made, and him indulging them with an explanation. There's context missing from the initial assumption that he's just providing earnings information just to flex.

Why Nathan Grayson decides it was worth writing an article about it really beats me. The workings of that man's mind is a mystery to me, besides the seemingly lowkey desire to stir shit up.
Sorry I didn't mean to be too hard on the streamer himself. It's just a pet peeve of mine that I keep seeing pop up when "influencer" type people discuss their money.

I do think this article is very strange. What is there even to discuss here if he's not complaining?

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
somehow this thread is still not really talking about the article... while complaining about people not reading the article. People not reading on here + writing drivebys is a hilariously normal occurrence for any thread where the OP is longer than a sentence, so I do find it funny that some are acting like this thread is a one-off

so I'm thankful that he's willing to donate for each sub + he's going to donate more than I could ever comfortably donate given my income,
but I'm frankly curious what is the point of this subathon... besides being essentially a fundraiser (for both getting the word out and $) for himself? Like of course he has the freedom to do that, but it's not like he's starving for cash in any way given his numbers.
It's very weird, given that apparently (according to this article) he bans people who have been gifting too much during the event. The article does note how it's strangely contradictory, and I'm confused too.

circuit

Oct 27, 2017
It's very weird, given that apparently (according to this article) he bans people who have been gifting too much during the event. The article does note how it's strangely contradictory, and I'm confused too.
His main priority was to make this something fun and doesn't want it to last forever at all. He claimed people giving too much makes it more awkward than fun, for example citing that two random people each gave $7500 worth of subs before the limit

Deleted member 30365

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Mods: Why coming threads like this, not reading the freaking article which the thread was made about and making snarky comments about isn't considered drive-by?

These kind of comments add absolutely nothing to the conversation.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
somehow this thread is still not really talking about the article... while complaining about people not reading the article. People not reading on here + writing drivebys is a hilariously normal occurrence for any thread where the OP is longer than a sentence, so I do find it funny that some are acting like this thread is a one-off

so I'm thankful that he's willing to donate for each sub + he's going to donate more than I could ever comfortably donate given my income,
but I'm frankly curious what is the point of this subathon... besides being essentially a fundraiser (for both getting the word out and $) for himself? Like of course he has the freedom to do that, but it's not like he's starving for cash in any way given his numbers.
Could be as simple as him noticing that sub count was getting low. Subathons are inherently self serving. I think once he recognized that it exploded way past his expectations as the timer was climbing over 24h, and then 48, and then 70, and he's not wanting for income over what he planned on making, he decided to donate to charity.

The ironic thing about this thread is that Ludwig probably shares the same opinions of Era's most streamer critical members regarding parasocial relationships, and his positions on taxes.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who started streaming over a month ago:

giphy.gif

Link us so we can leave mean comments on your channel!

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I'm not even going to read the whole thread but the first page just shows how you people need to read and do research before being the toxic fools you are. He's not complaining. And he's not walking away with 150k. He's paying his mods and donating to charity and it ends up being 10k-15k, which again he doesn't have a problem with it. Like you guys really just decided to no even do the bare minimum before having an opinion.

Y'all just need to be banned.

Could be as simple as him noticing that sub count was getting low. Subathons are inherently self serving. I think once he recognized that it exploded way past his expectations as the timer was climbing over 24h, and then 48, and then 70, and he's not wanting for income over what he planned on making, he decided to donate to charity.
He's a big streamer who isn't failing. It wasn't about his sub count getting low. I believe he was inspired by a minecraft streamer who became the most subbed streamer on twitch last month by getting like 60k subs during his subathon. I'm not 100% sure but I know he was in shock by watching MC streamer's subs go up. The minecraft streamer donated his cut of the subs to charity. This was simply something interesting and cool for him to do that got out of hand and he had to place restrictions on. He didn't expect it to blow up like this. But he was doing very well as a streamer before this.

Edit: Like I said I'm 100% sure on his inspiration but I don't think I have to be worried about anyone here actually knowing that either lol. I only casually watch him by I watch a lot of people who are connected to him.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Holy shit man, 90% of the comments here are so cringe. You guys are pathetic.
It's so bad. We even got a verified user just shit-posting. Expect nothing less from resetera especially when talking about twitch streamers. Like I can't even blame cynicism. It's just outright toxicity. Granted the article isn't the greatest because of the reporter inserting their opinion, but gees.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch Ludwig but he seemed like a nice enough guy when he was doing Pogchamps.

He's not complaining, and in fact it's a good thing that he's giving some transparency about where the money goes.

There's no reason to hate on him for this.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
His main priority was to make this something fun and doesn't want it to last forever at all. He claimed people giving too much makes it more awkward than fun, for example citing that two random people each gave $7500 worth of subs before the limit

Oh wow... that's nuts. Obviously Twitch won't ever do this given that they put rankings for that sort of thing on chat (+ there's so many gifting events), but some people really need to have a hard limit on how many gift subs they can give. It's nice that Ludwig feels awkward about those sort of donos and attempts to stamp it down. There's a few streamers who more or less let those amounts of mass gift subs happen - I guess bc it's awkward to be "negative" to someone who is donating to you? Still a bit of a turn-off.

The ironic thing about this thread is that Ludwig probably shares the same opinions of Era's most streamer critical members regarding parasocial relationships, and his positions on taxes.

Oh wow, he's a very honest guy, that's cool. Obviously people have the right to not disclose their income to strangers on the internet, but I think that sort of transparency with streamers (aka just telling them "hey, I don't need that money", or like Ludwig put it, "bruh i'm rich" lol) could help in giving viewers perspective on if and/or how much they should donate. Honestly wish more big streamers would share that sort of information (or maybe Twitch themselves being more transparent about it) instead of, well, people forced to speculate.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA shitting on streamers and content creators? See, I like the old ways of gaming as much as anyone who lived through the 90's, but y'all gotta stop being so outright toxic towards anything done after 2005.

I don't even need a "citation needed" snark-ass reply, there's a lot of examples above. Feel very close to be fucking done with this forum, honestly.

As someone who started streaming over a month ago:
I'd ask for your Twitch/streamer handle, but honestly, I'm not sure if doing so in ResetERA is a good idea. That said, congrats and best of luck to you! :)

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
ResetERA shitting on streamers and content creators? See, I like the old ways of gaming as much as anyone who lived through the 90's, but y'all gotta stop being so outright toxic towards anything done after 2005.

I don't even need a "citation needed" snark-ass reply, there's a lot of examples above. Feel very close to be fucking done with this forum, honestly.

I'd ask for your Twitch/streamer handle, but honestly, I'm not sure if doing so in ResetERA is a good idea. That said, congrats and best of luck to you! :)
The environment of this website won't change without some push back and it needs a lot of pushback, which is ironic considering the reason this site exists. So many people in this thread violated TOS. "If it is clear that you have not read the thread and missed important information that was appropriately highlighted, you may be subject to moderation."

It's very clear 90% of the people here missed important information on purpose for the sake of being outraged towards a streamer. This is also why I didn't even say who the minecraft streamer was in my post. I know not to name any CC's unless they are the subject lol. I just don't trust the people on this site to contain their hostility.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Link us so we can leave mean comments on your channel!

Well since it's also vtubing the comments need to be 200% more mean.

I've actually posted it in the vtuber thread but other than general mentions of it elsewhere on here I typically try not to bring it up here.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
I am disappointed with the types of replies and comments in this thread. The biases and preconceptions that some of Era's users have are very apparent in this thread.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Good for him. I'm glad that he explains all that in a candid manner to give insight on his financial stuff. Dude's clearly talented and does good stuff overall.

The outrage against content creators in here is hysterical though. Surely people have watched comedians and know they make a living off of that? Streaming/YouTube is literally a different form of comedy/entertainment, only instead of through a TV show it's through Twitch/YouTube. Same concept, different things, but same thing overall. How is that so hard for some people to understand?

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Good for him. I'm glad that he explains all that in a candid manner to give insight on his financial stuff. Dude's clearly talented and does good stuff overall.

The outrage against content creators in here is hysterical though. Surely people have watched comedians and know they make a living off of that? Streaming/YouTube is literally a different form of comedy/entertainment, only instead of through a TV show it's through Twitch/YouTube. Same concept, different things, but same thing overall. How is that so hard for some people to understand?
People just don't care. They'll look for any way to criticize a CC. I reported someone and let the mods know they got plenty of people here, including a verified user, just ignoring the posting guidelines so they can shit-post or feel superior or whatever it is lol.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Despite the title of the op, this subathon was not aimed as a charity fundraiser and has never really been promoted as such. It was something he announced after it had already started, several hours in (maybe even a day or 2 in, I can't remember).
It's just a normal subathon that took off and he is also donation part of the proceeds to charity on his own volition.

Ok that makes more sense in terms of the finances!!...OP said "charity marathon" twice, and lots of people were posting that he wasn't complaining but raising money for charity...which he really wasn't.

I did read the OP and a lot of the thread but I've obviously misunderstood the situation anyway :( sorry.