• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I have no opinion on Ludwig or this subathon thing (outside of tangentially hearing about it on streams I do watch) but the article headline is definitely baity, making it sound like he's complaining when it just seems like he candidly talked about it during that stream.

Anyway, as he himself points out, as someone at his level, the benefits from this aren't (really) monetary for him immediately, it's getting more exposure to an even wider audience -- his name in the NYT etc -- which'll bring more money long-term.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku back at it again with a dogshit article title, and Era back at it again with a severe lack of reading skills. Typical.
I don't see the problem. It's a contact and yes, pay your fucking taxes. Am I supposed to feel sorry about you paying taxes? Poor guy "only" making $150k in 10 days.
If you actually read the article you'd see at the point Ludwig broke this down he would only be making 3k, perhaps 10-15k at most when factoring in tax write-offs
Stop making stupid people famous...
So this guy is stupid for doing what exactly?

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get donating to streamers at all personally. I do watch Twitch, and have no problems with subs (I just use my Prime sub), but donations just seem weird to me.

I don't personally see what's weird. Subbing to a channel is done to support a streamer. However, the vast majority only make half (or less) of the sub price. Donating to them supports them and goes directly to their pocket. While you dont get a little emoji next to your name, a good streamer will value you just as much (or more) and have trackers/notifications to alert in appropriate ways.
If the weirdness is giving them money in general, financially support the entertainment you consume. Same as any form of entertainment.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think people misunderstood the article.

He used a strategy used by smaller channels. He's already pretty successful on Twitch. He got MSM attention via the NYT. And then he made a stream explaining where everything goes for full transparency.

The criticism he got wasn't about the money per se, but using a strategy that smaller channels use when he's already made it.

That's all.

He said it was worth it for the exposure as well. Twitch streamers getting MSM attention is rare.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
A third isn't exactly a "small fraction" and $150k for being in front of a camera for a week and a half still seems pretty good to me. That's more than like 95% of the population earn in a year doing far more difficult work.
Yeah, paying taxes isn't a "small fraction" and neither is Twitch's 35% cut. I was expecting sometime less than 10% but I guess I shouldn't be surprised by sensationalist headlines.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I don't understand why people will donate money to someone so that that person can donate some percentage of that to a charity for them.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yeah, mentioning taxes is kinda weird. I know a guy who makes about 100k€ a year, it's like half that after taxes. He doesn't even mention the income before taxes usually, because why talk about money you don't actually have available?

I feel that it's weird American propaganda that 'Hey your hard work made this, but REALLY the government took this much away from you' which helps people justify much of the socioeconomic clown show that is this country. And we generally do it here without thinking across the board but it feeds into that same energy.

I think it's something people often do when they get an amount of money for the first time from a job, and/or when they get a significant amount of money for the first time from another job, a raise, a contest, a bonus, etc... I feel like it's pretty common for people to talk about the surprise of taxes, until they get used to it.

But like, taxes aren't unexpected for most people on the planet, lol. So its weird to say 'I made this, but the gov took this, so it's really this' unless we are talking like, ways to avoid paying taxes.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Am I supposed to feel bad for somebody making $150k in a week which is more than most people make in a year?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, the guy doesn't seem like he's complaining. Just explaining the process / financial breakdown to his audience. Nothing wrong with that. Also, this part is missed out in the OP:

So he'll be getting much less than what is stated above (at the time the article was written, of course).

There's an odd dynamic involved with donations. Some streamers are showered with money, in most cases, by people with much less. Kotaku also covered this here: https://kotaku.com/why-twitch-fans-donate-money-to-already-wealthy-streame-1841456196

I thought it was an interesting read.

He's also not really mentioning that the only reason he'd pay a ~50% tax rate is if he's making more than $5,000,000 a year overall.

If that marathon was his only income, and he donated $80k, his take home would be in the $140,000 range. (assuming the $80k was his only write off.)

(not trying to bash the guy, just being accurate lol)

Sep 14, 2018
He pays his mods, taxes and donates most of it to charity.

Era: BOO FUCKING HOO WHAT A COMPLAINER!

???
Because the OP didn't quote that part in the original post. People did not read the article, and it makes me think the OP might not have read the full thing either because after paying his mods and donating the charity, the amount he's left with is $3,000, and then between $10,000 and $15,000 after tax write-offs. To only quote the part of the article that makes it seem like he's making $150,000 was foolish and a mod needs to close this topic because even an edit isn't going to save it at this point.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't personally see what's weird. Subbing to a channel is done to support a streamer. However, the vast majority only make half (or less) of the sub price. Donating to them supports them and goes directly to their pocket. While you dont get a little emoji next to your name, a good streamer will value you just as much (or more) and have trackers/notifications to alert in appropriate ways.
If the weirdness is giving them money in general, financially support the entertainment you consume. Same as any form of entertainment.

The detail that stuck out for me in this is that he has to specifically tell his fans not to give him their stimulus money. It's such a different relationship between fan and celebrity. Like fans of Taylor Swift or Chris Evans aren't going to be like, hey I just got my stimulus, I should write out a big check to my favorite movie star. It's more like a televangelist than a conventional entertainer.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you need to update your post with:
Next, Ahgren moved on to payments he intends to issue, starting with his moderation team. Many streamers do not pay their mods—which is not a great system because what moderators do is work, and they deserve to be paid by streamers who have the means to do so. Ahgren's subathon would literally not be possible without his moderation team. Not only have they ensured that his chat remains relatively sane, but a rotating group of 15 moderators has run the stream at night while Ahgren's been asleep as well. As a result, he pays the team a total of $5,000 per day (plus a base rate) as the team participates in this grueling stunt. As of yesterday, all of that left Ahgren with $83,000—which, as he pointed out, is "still a lot of goddamn money."

That brought him to the charity aspect of his subathon. For each subscriber he has at the end of it all, he intends to donate $1 to a charity of his choosing, which he has yet to name. Yesterday, he had somewhere in the ballpark of 80,000 subscribers, dwindling his total take down to just $3,000. He went on to clarify, however, that tax write-offs should bring him up to somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 or $15,000, but he doesn't know the exact number.
Too many people not taking the time to read the rest of the article and see Ludwig is not making 150k
Am I supposed to feel bad for somebody making $150k in a week which is more than most people make in a year?
sigh... see above.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
OP you need to update your post with:

Too many people not taking the time to read the rest of the article and see Ludwig is not making 150k

sigh... see above.
Why can't people read the article, though?

I posted a huge section. We can't post the full article.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ludwig is great, probably the best big streamer out there. While he does do plenty of gimmicks like this he's more transparent about the business side of things than just about anyone else on Twitch. I hope he hosts another LACS Melee tournament sometime this year, he and Slime are such great commentators even when they're barely talking about the match at all

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Nobody's reading the article.

He's paying his mods and donating heavily to charity for this stream, and coming away with like 10 grand for 10 days of 24/7 streaming time. And also not complaining at all.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

He's paying his mods and donating heavily to charity for this stream, and coming away with like 10 grand for 10 days of 24/7 streaming time. And also not complaining at all.
Not to be a pain but if he's donating $80k to charity and is taxed at a 50% rate like he claims, then he is taking home $40k at least from this. A write-off means you don't pay taxes on that income. The reality is he's making probably at least $50k even w/ the donation + gaining 80k subs w/ will add income over time.

He's just doing the math wrong, I don't think he's maliciously downplaying or anything.. but the gist of the 50% tax thing is also that he makes millions if that's true overall.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Boohoo I feel so bad for the only person in the world who works then pays taxes... Oh wait a sec?

Even if he only makes 10k or 40k or whatever it amounts to after paying his team lets not forget that the guy is the most subbed to person now and was already a very popular streamer according to the article, this stream has long lasting monetary value, not just the single take in of money.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Kotaku back at it again with a dogshit article title, and Era back at it again with a severe lack of reading skills. Typical.

If you actually read the article you'd see at the point Ludwig broke this down he would only be making 3k, perhaps 10-15k at most when factoring in tax write-offs

So this guy is stupid for doing what exactly?
Please explain how this person is stupid.
Thats the question. Are the people paying him to watch him sleep stupid or is it him for providing such low quality content.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
A viewer then asked him why he doesn't just move in order to pay less.

"Why not move?" he replied. "I don't really care. I make enough money. I don't feel like I need more money. I'm happy to pay my taxes. If they want taxes to do things, I could be [like] Jeff Bezos at Amazon and get up in trying to pay as little taxes as possible to make as much money as possible, but that's not really my M.O...I'm down to pay my share. That's the whole point of taxes."

Why are people acting like he was complaining and going woe is me lol it seemed more like he was just answering questions from chat and explaining

ERA tends to be weirdly hostile towards content creators.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Era: These people don't put in enough effort to make the money they do. Streaming isn't a real job.

Also Era: Cannot be bothered to read past titles

Starting to get why people aren't the money earners they wish they were. Maybe you could start streaming too, if you don't get stuck on the title screens?

skaityr

Dec 11, 2017
Unless he magically loses the same amount of subscribers next month that he just gained, he's gonna make a lot more than 3k-25k.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Added context, but that's most of the article lol. Hope mods allow it.

Sep 14, 2018
It's a pretty detailed article though. It's important to read the whole the thing.
You provided no indication that there was a different and much smaller number in the article. In people's minds you had put yourself out there as an authority on what was most important in the article when you quoted such a large part of it. It's silly, but you should not expect people to read the article.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people donate to these large streamers. It seems very exploitative of the parasocial relationship. A fool and their money I guess.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
You provided no indication that there was a different and much smaller number in the article. In people's minds you had put yourself out there as an authority on what was most important in the article when you quoted such a large part of it. It's silly, but you should not expect people to read the article.
I mean, this is basic literacy, though. We're in a text based medium. That's why links are provided.

It's not like iti's the end of the discussion. People are still read it and re-comment.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
This place sometimes lol.

good for Ludwig and I welcome the transparency, more people need to speak candidly about their earnings.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

His math is also wrong, as he is calculating deductions and taxes incorrectly.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yall on the first page going off about him complaining should really try to read sometimes

I know it's hard to read but It's worth it I promise.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

its not fair to seize most of the content of the article and put it in the OP and make the content creator lose out on the click money they would have gotten if people had clicked on the link.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean, this is basic literacy, though. We're in a text based medium. That's why links are provided.
C'mon a mod got caught out not reading the article

like you just gotta hit people with a tldr summary, that's OP responsibility if you wanna call it that lol, especially when the headline has implications

Like this post does a pretty good job summarizing and dispelling reactionary takes