• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
NOTE: This was charity marathon. He's breaking down the financials here. HE'S NOT COMPLAINING LOL.

For the past week and a half, Twitch star Ludwig Ahgren has been on the clock. Whether asleep, awake, or drowsily somewhere between, Ahgren has kept his stream running to fulfill the terms of a "subathon" where every subscription adds ten seconds to a timer. So far, he's pulled in nearly $500,000. He says, however, that when it's all said and done, he'll see only a fraction of that money.

When Ahgren began his subathon, he was already a very successful streamer with over 1.5 million followers. He faced criticism, then, for seemingly wanting to line his already-packed pockets with even more cash by employing a strategy that's more common among smaller streamers. Since then, he's walked a contradictory line, giving his marathon stream an event feel in an obvious attempt to garner attention (and subscriptions). But he's also discouraged viewers from doing things like spending their stimulus checks on him—and even going so far as to outright ban people who gift too many subscriptions in his chat.

Yesterday, he broke down the money element of all this. During his stream, Ahgren pulled up a spreadsheet displaying his total subscription and donation-based earnings over 10 record-breaking days, in which he became the most-subscribed-to streamer on Twitch. The total, according to current estimations, is $471,756.

"However," Ahgren began, "it's not that easy. I don't get to walk away with all this money because there [are] things in life that you have to pay. That is called taxes. But even before we get to taxes, we have to talk about my cut. Because Twitch takes away money, so this isn't all mine. This is partly Twitch's."

Twitch's cut comes out to a hair over 35% because Ahgren negotiated his current contract in 2020 before he rose to his current level of stardom. That already brings the avalanche of cash careening toward his bank account down to $304,260. That's still an absurd amount of money! But then, Ahgren factored in a rough estimation of both federal and state taxes, which brought him down to $150,000.

Info on donations:

$10,000 or $15,000 is still—still—a lot of money, though maybe not worth 10 days of hundreds of thousands of eyeballs ceaselessly upon you. However, there are multiple things to keep in mind here: For one, the total amount of money will likely go up even more before the timer frees Ahgren from his Truman Show-like bubble. Currently, it's at just under 30 hours, and viewers have not stopped subscribing. This also means that Ahgren, despite saying he wants people to chill with the subscriptions, has an incentive to reveal how little he personally stands to make. It provides dedicated fans with a concrete reason to give him more money.

But even if Ahgren only ends up with a small army of Benjamins to show for all of this, he thinks it will have been a good use of his time.

"Even [$150,000] is still less valuable than the increase in viewership, the total follower gain, the New York Times article," he said. "We got a New York Times article! That's insane...The amount of attention this has all received is definitely worth it."

Attention, after all, is what will ultimately translate to more money and opportunities in the long run. Stunts are short-lived, even ones that last longer than any previous attempts of their nature. But making a splash so big that it draws the mainstream eye means pulling in all sorts of new viewers. That's how Tyler "Ninja" Blevins got big, for example. His dalliance with the mainstream fed into years of deals and longevity despite how quickly the height of his relevance came and went.

kotaku.com

Twitch Streamer Behind 'Never-Ending' Marathon Says He'll Only Make A Fraction Of $470,000 Haul [UPDATE]

For the past week and a half, Twitch star Ludwig Ahgren has been on the clock. Whether asleep, awake, or drowsily somewhere between, Ahgren has kept his stream running to fulfill the terms of a “subathon” where every subscription adds ten seconds to a timer. So far, he’s pulled in nearly...

I still don't get donating to streamers at all personally. I do watch Twitch, and have no problems with subs (I just use my Prime sub), but donations just seem weird to me.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
On a side note, I kind of hate how stories like these love to point out how much people who get windfall have to pay taxes as if its this unexpected event. Not like us regular shmoes are like 'Yeah, at my current position I make 40k a year, but it's really 27k after taxes. We just say 'I make 40k'.

Also, so twitch tells you how much 'they' made and gives you a cut for it? That seems either weird (and leaves a space for content creators to get ripped off) or extremely surprisingly honest.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I don't see the problem. It's a contact and yes, pay your fucking taxes. Am I supposed to feel sorry about you paying taxes? Poor guy "only" making $150k in 10 days.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A third isn't exactly a "small fraction" and $150k for being in front of a camera for a week and a half still seems pretty good to me. That's more than like 95% of the population earn in a year doing far more difficult work.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
" I could be [like] Jeff Bezos at Amazon and get up in trying to pay as little taxes as possible to make as much money as possible, but that's not really my M.O."

You're not even in that ballpark, playboy.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
On a side note, I kind of hate how stories like these love to point out how much people who get windfall have to pay taxes as if its this unexpected event. Not like us regular shmoes are like 'Yeah, at my current position I make 40k a year, but it's really 27k after taxes. We just say 'I make 40k'
Yeah, mentioning taxes is kinda weird. I know a guy who makes about 100k€ a year, it's like half that after taxes. He doesn't even mention the income before taxes usually, because why talk about money you don't actually have available?

EDIT: I thought "small fraction" would be like 10% at most, a third doesn't seem bad

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Him paying his mods is good, he knows this is a small hit for later popularity.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Posting
Oh booooh. He has to give a share of his revenue (from Subs and Bits) to twitch, because that is what the contract sasy, that HE NEGOIATED AND SIGNED and he has to pay taxes. Cry me a fucking river

Mar 11, 2021
He's using Twitch's platform and he has to pay taxes--He still pulled back 65% of the total, which is more than I would expect.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
never heard of the guy, but not gonna bother clicking any of his shit going forward. Boo fucking hoo.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I don't get the impression he's trying to make this out to be some sort of sob story - he seems perfectly content to be paying his mods and those taxes, he probably just wanted to address it because of course people have been speculating on how much he's been raking in over the course of this. He'll also be donating a ton to charity, why the hate? I have zero interest in watching his stream, but why are people angry about him being open and transparent about his financial affairs here?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until he hears about the percentage of capital that the working class usually ends up keeping in the vast majority of wage-earning jobs by comparison.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
And my company bills more than double what they pay me, then I pay taxes... take home probably around 1/4th of the revenue I generated.

Really just kind of pointless to even talk about.. he's at the very high end of revenue to take home for most people who do work.

I get that kids on his Twitch might be ignorant, and people in general exaggerate how much others make, but still kinda silly to bring up, but whatever, this story will also make the news lol

edit: I get that he's answering questions, I just wouldn't go into that kinda detail, I don't know why but it's kinda off-putting even if he isn't complainig.. although I guess he's got the unique situation of having the actual revenue he generates be right there out in the open

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
A viewer then asked him why he doesn't just move in order to pay less.

"Why not move?" he replied. "I don't really care. I make enough money. I don't feel like I need more money. I'm happy to pay my taxes. If they want taxes to do things, I could be [like] Jeff Bezos at Amazon and get up in trying to pay as little taxes as possible to make as much money as possible, but that's not really my M.O...I'm down to pay my share. That's the whole point of taxes."

Why are people acting like he was complaining and going woe is me lol it seemed more like he was just answering questions from chat and explaining

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The article makes it sound like Ludwig doesn't really care about the (quote) "expenses", I dunno what's with the "boo fucking hoo" comments if he isn't actually complaining.
And to be real, who would complain? Even outside of the marathon, he's been averaging 30k active subs. Those are huge numbers.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I still don't get donating to streamers at all personally. I do watch Twitch, and have no problems with subs (I just use my Prime sub), but donations just seem weird to me.

An streamer can make a little show or entertain you and you may want to give him a little so it can be the jumpstart so he/she/whatever can make it as a living and continue to make it instead of having to search for a job.

May 17, 2018
I don't get the impression he's trying to make this out to be some sort of sob story - he seems perfectly content to be paying his mods and those taxes, he probably just wanted to address it because of course people have been speculating on how much he's been raking in over the course of this.

I think the weirder part is Kotaku making an article out of this.

It ultimately just boils down to "Twitch streamers says he has to pay his employess and taxes and on his earnings."

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
On a side note, I kind of hate how stories like these love to point out how much people who get windfall have to pay taxes as if its this unexpected event. Not like us regular shmoes are like 'Yeah, at my current position I make 40k a year, but it's really 27k after taxes. We just say 'I make 40k'.
I think it's something people often do when they get an amount of money for the first time from a job, and/or when they get a significant amount of money for the first time from another job, a raise, a contest, a bonus, etc... I feel like it's pretty common for people to talk about the surprise of taxes, until they get used to it.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Props to the guy for actually paying his mods during this thing
Edit: Did anyone even read the article the guy isn't even complaining

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The article makes it sound like Ludwig doesn't really care about the (quote) "expenses", I dunno what's with the "boo fucking hoo" comments if he isn't actually complaining.
And to be real, who would complain? Even outside of the marathon, he's been averaging 30k active subs. Those are huge numbers.

Implying people here reads the articles lol. Ludwig wasn't even complaining, he just detailed how much money he got.

"States require taxes, and I live in California," he said. "That's why, if you don't know, a lot of streamers live in Texas—or maybe YouTubers, too—because Texas doesn't have any state taxes for income tax. Same with New Hampshire, and same with Florida."

"Why not move?" he replied. "I don't really care. I make enough money. I don't feel like I need more money. I'm happy to pay my taxes. If they want taxes to do things, I could be [like] Jeff Bezos at Amazon and get up in trying to pay as little taxes as possible to make as much money as possible, but that's not really my M.O...I'm down to pay my share. That's the whole point of taxes."

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I think even DSP who is a relatively small streamer who gets 400 odd veiwers a stream was found to be making almost $100,000 a year via tips, patreon, subs etc when he had to declare his income for bankruptcy. Those numbers are crazy for such a competitive way of making money

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, fuck outta here with the "but it's only a small fraction!" Unless you are a multi-million/billionare, everyone has to pay their fucking taxes

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
The title makes this seem worse than it is. I guess it's a lot of money gone when the numbers are that big but he's doing well. The top streamers must make a lot in a year o.o

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This. Think he's just pointing it out to people who aren't in the know about Twichs cut.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I mean, he literally says (or at least what the article is quoting) that he is fine with paying those taxes and he is not moving anywhere. It looks like he was explaining to the audience how the donations received are splited, nothing more.

Quite click bait for that web site.

PS: the quoting:

Sometimes some pople here seems to be waiting for an excuse to jump onto others.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

Why are people acting like he was complaining and going woe is me lol it seemed more like he was just answering questions from chat and explaining

Era's got legendary envy towards streamers on the best of days

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Typical ERA expecting the worst, especially with streamers. Dude isn't complaining, he's explaining.

This site is so boomer is hurts.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Oh booooh. He has to give a share of his revenue (from Subs and Bits) to twitch, because that is what the contract sasy, that HE NEGOIATED AND SIGNED and he has to pay taxes. Cry me a fucking river
Why are you replying like he's complaining

He just laid out his earnings and someone made an article, he said he's happy, he's not upset

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
He pays his mods, taxes and donates most of it to charity.

Era: BOO FUCKING HOO WHAT A COMPLAINER!

???

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah, the guy doesn't seem like he's complaining. Just explaining the process / financial breakdown to his audience. Nothing wrong with that. Also, this part is missed out in the OP:

That brought him to the charity aspect of his subathon. For each subscriber he has at the end of it all, he intends to donate $1 to a charity of his choosing, which he has yet to name. Yesterday, he had somewhere in the ballpark of 80,000 subscribers, dwindling his total take down to just $3,000. He went on to clarify, however, that tax write-offs should bring him up to somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 or $15,000, but he doesn't know the exact number.

"That's for my accountant to deal with," he said.

So he'll be getting much less than what is stated above (at the time the article was written, of course).

There's an odd dynamic involved with donations. Some streamers are showered with money, in most cases, by people with much less. Kotaku also covered this here: https://kotaku.com/why-twitch-fans-donate-money-to-already-wealthy-streame-1841456196

I thought it was an interesting read.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, he seems to have the right attitude at least - that it's kinda crazy that he'll lose a ton of that to taxes and fees and splits, but like, it's still a ton of money so whatever, that's how it goes.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Expecting people to read articles instead of headlines is a pretty big ask

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Props to the guy for actually paying his mods during this thing
Edit: Did anyone even read the article the guy isn't even complaining
You're expecting way too much from the streaming-hating crowd on ERA. They're just here to dogpile on streamers no matter what.

The streamer isn't even complaining. He's just explaining how it works. And yeah, big kudos to him for paying his mods.