• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just heard the news. I used to watch him a lot when he streamed Hearthstone and he talked about his WoW pvp days. Had no idea he was dealing with depression for years. Rip Reckful :(

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh my god no I loved him so much his Hearthstone streams brought me much joy, also speed typing contest with Tyler1

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I never watched Reckful play WoW, watching WoW wasn't my thing, but I knew that's what he was most "famous" for. I found Reckful in the early Hearthstone streaming scene. He was always funny, raw, emotional, and honest to a fault. As my time playing Hearthstone faded, Reckful's did as well, and as he went on a different path I fell off of knowing what was going on with him. To everyone who knew Byron or watched Reckful, today is not a surprise. Everyone dreaded this day would come, and here we are. What a horrendous loss. The man was a pioneer in so many ways, and it's unfortunate the world will not get to experience all that he had to offer for decades to come. RIP Byron, you will be missed dearly

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
rip to the dude and strenght to his family.
stuff like this really sucks.

explain it to someone that never played Heartstone or any other card game and whose first language isn't english.

in the blizzcon video he drew a winning combination that would allow him to deal 11 + 4 = 15 damage to the opponent, who had 14 health. however he missed this and lost the match. in the later video he's streaming and a viewer asks him to solve a math problem that involves this same 11 + 4 reference and he understands the joke right away

viral

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. I never really watched him, but like every WoW player, I knew his name, and I've seen some videos of him. Mental illness is horrible. I really hope his ex-girlfriend doesn't blame herself.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
RIP Reckful. Really sad to hear. I used to watch his hearthstone streams back in the day and had no idea he was going through all of this.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
This is the second son that family has lost due to suicide.

genuinely wishing them the best, it still feels like a dream, this entire 2 weeks does

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
This really sucks. His 3000 rated Pvp video was one of the best pvp videos to ever come out of wow. He truly was an OG streamer. It really hurts to know that all these years of him crying for help on stream ended in this fashion. Fuck.

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
I was sad to hear about this I couldn't believe it when I heard about it, its truly terrible for what happen I hope his family is doing well and his close friends. He was truly a great guy and just enjoyed his videos and streams may he rest in peace

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Rip Reckful.
Man fuck 2020. He was such a great guy. He fought hard with mental illness and yet all these Twitter assholes would pile on him and make fun of his illness. Sickening.
My thoughts go out to his remaining family. Cannot imagine how his Big brother is feeling, loosing both his brothers to suicide.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he's at peace.

This Saturday it's five years since my best friend commited suicide because gambling problems, we never noticed any signs or anything at all. I just wish he had asked for help since he had a lot of friends willing to help him with anything.

I still feel guilty that I didn't know and I miss him.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
He was the reason I started watching twitch all those years ago. His WoW streams where he was explaining what and why he did things was fascinating.

His Reckful 3 video, where he got a staggering 3000 arena rating in WoW made me play a rogue.

Shit fucking sucks man, I hope he has finally found peach.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
This shit fucked me up so bad. I've finally come to terms with it after thinking about it all day, and something has come over to me to the point I feel like it's my duty to help people out. It's 2 AM and I've spent the better part of the night talking to people about their issues in pokelawls chat after he got off and something is telling me not to sleep and talk to people about their experiences if it's any chance to help someone in need. If anything, I hope I'm doing Reckful proud.

It's also pushing me to finally get the help I need with depression and anxiety.

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This shit fucked me up so bad. I've finally come to terms with it after thinking about it all day, and something has come over to me to the point I feel like it's my duty to help people out. It's 2 AM and I've spent the better part of the night talking to people about their issues in pokelawls chat after he got off and something is telling me not to sleep and talk to people about their experiences if it's any chance to help someone in need. If anything, I hope I'm doing Reckful proud.

It's also pushing me to finally get the help I need with depression and anxiety.
Thank you for doing your part. I hope everyone comes to this same realization someday.
I hope you find your peace, I try everyday to do the best I can as well.

Oct 27, 2017
live stream fails subreddit claims they will be taking steps to reduce the harassment of streamers they are complicit in

There are already users in that shithole going against streamers being able to opt-out of being featured in there. Disgusting. This will change nothing, because the majority of the userbase of that subreddit doesn't want any change. They are the ones posting the videos and harassing streamers, not the moderation team (though they allowed it in the first place, so they are as guilty as the users).

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Almost 6 years since my Dad took his life and this has really affected me today. Just the tragedy of knowing how much pain somebody must be in to literally end their lives. In Reckful's case, his prolonged and public battle makes it that much worse. My utmost and most sincere condolences to his family.

As an aside, since my Dad took his life I really resent suicide being described as "passed away" online or in newspapers. Sweeps the issue under the rug, reinforces that suicide shouldn't be spoken about and gives the vibe that it is peaceful. I know some people will disagree with me but it's something that has irked me since it happened.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
There are already users in that shithole going against streamers being able to opt-out of being featured in there. Disgusting. This will change nothing, because the majority of the userbase of that subreddit doesn't want any change. They are the ones posting the videos and harassing streamers, not the moderation team (though they allowed it in the first place, so they are as guilty as the users).
Yeah those changes they mentioned will not do anything. They literally need to ban a specific subset of posts that come on the subreddit.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018

Milennia you're right he was a genuine soul. I don't know and have not yet seen any streamer or person who puts himself out there as he did

This was the first time that I heard about Dr. K, after this I watched the whole video with Reckful.

Then I looked him up and he is actively working with a lot of people within the gaming community and this guy is a pure gem.

I watched some of his videos, his sessions with kaceytron, Asmongold and Pokimane and it is heartbreaking to see how much these people are struggling underneath.

He will do a session shortly addressing Reckful's suicide, grief and how to support people who are struggling.

If anyone wants to check it out:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
That proposal on Twitter was such a cry for help. As a fan of Becca, I can't even imagine the guilt she must be carrying right now.

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This was the first time that I heard about Dr. K, after this I watched the whole video with Reckful.

Then I looked him up and he is actively working with a lot of people within the gaming community and this guy is a pure gem.

I watched some of his videos, his sessions with kaceytron, Asmongold and Pokimane and it is heartbreaking to see how much these people are struggling underneath.

He will do a session shortly addressing Reckful's suicide, grief and how to support people who are struggling.

If anyone wants to check it out:

Dr K is live now and a guiding light in the community we need more than ever now and y'all should check out. Really unbelievable stuff we need now.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Man, that was a powerfull stream drom Dr. K.

We need to be there for one another. No one should struggle alone.

No one should die alone.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the Reckful account put the old VODs on pause to host Dr. K. It was a really powerful and sad stream.

Also watching the VODs are a bit of a weird philosophical experience. Like he's been immortalized in certain points of time through them.

I'm still incredibly sad that he's gone. Reading the toxic things said moments after those last few tweets is heartbreaking. And some are even trying to blame Becca for it for not responding. I wish her peace and love because I can't see having something like that forced on you and not being psychologically affected.

Think it's time for me to withdraw from public social media platforms again.

RIP to a kind man that was genuine to a fault. You will be deeply missed by many that have interacted with you over the years.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017