• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I think this where I stand on the change:

And I have to ask, is this all they're doing? Because if so it comes across as lazy and the least they could do. It's such a small thing related to a feature that was probably rarely used. Like if someone from Twitch didn't say they did it, nobody probably would've noticed.

I'm glad you posted this, because I actually wondered the same thing. "Blind" and "double-blind" studies are extremely common in research and has nothing to do with vision.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

And I have to ask, is this all they're doing? Because if so it comes across as lazy and the least they could do. It's such a small thing related to a feature that was probably rarely used. Like if someone from Twitch didn't say they did it, nobody probably would've noticed.

Yup, this is the correct way to look at it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Yup this is where I currently stand on it as well.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
This thread made me feel like shit. 7 pages of non blind people acting really shitty about a change that doesn't matter at all to them. That's enough internet today. Time to get drunk.
Most people in here seem to be having a totally reasonable discussion of the matter?

If you're taking that as "acting really shitty" and being driven to alcoholism, I highly advise you steer clear of Twitch and Twitter where people are actually acting shitty and cracking all sorts of jokes (well, mostly the same couple jokes ad nauseum) at blind people's expense.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amusing for me, because my visual impairment (nystagmus) causes my eyes to near-permanently twitch. And, yes, people have used that word in a derogatory/condescending way towards me.

Time to rebrand the entire service!
I've never understood the name anyway so let's fucking do this

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
What about the blind community who hate this and feel like they're being condescended to? Just ignore their feelings?

That's why I said there was a debate to be had. I don't know that removing the tag is the right option, but most people in this thread assumed that no one in the community supported this.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
In this case Twitch has plentiful resources to speak with the group being addressed, so it is possible for them to determine what's appropriate and they don't need to resort to a "First Rule". I don't think the article makes it clear if they've actually done this.

From the article, Ablegamers COO Spohn whose Twitter thread is in the OT seems to draw some equivalence to "gay" and criticizes using "blind" as an alternative term for a negative experience. I'm not sure the usage of "blind" in this tag is equivocating it with a negative experience. There's a difference between calling someone "blind" as in "stupid/ignorant" or calling an experience or experiment "blind" and referring to a lack of information being present. When I see the tag "blind playthrough" I think of it in the same context as a "double/blind experiment" where information is concealed.

It is inappropriate to make outbursts like "are you fucking blind/deaf" because they tie those disabilities and experiences to some kind of negative outcome, but in the context of "blind experiment / date / playthrough" I don't think it carries that negative connotation. I have a similar feeling about how the word "master" should be scrubbed from usage when used in a "master / slave" context (such as in some computer science terms) but doesn't have that same problematic connotation when used in "Master Chef" or "Master's Degree" since they imply a mastery of a craft as opposed to being a master of some subservient entity.

At the end of the day, we should defer to the preferences of the group being addressed, this is my attempt to understand it. As others have stated, Twitch could be doing a lot more to address accessibility and stamping out prejudices from their platform, one hopes they're sincere about it.

Thank you for this. Good post.

The intellectual laziness of some of these arguments is driving me up the wall.

Dec 8, 2018
This is so fucking dumb. I actually lost for words about this being considered. Blind the word is not only the term of a disability but used in tons of other ways in the English language. If it were something used in a negative way fine but this simply means not knowing just like a blind study or blind test that can be performed by people without a disability.

This is going looking for something to "fix" for internet karma without it being an issue.

deedeedaydee

Banned
Jun 2, 2018
User banned (permanent): Troll account
And after reading the first 5 comments, I am back to Neogaf, where the idiocy is slightly less rampant.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Dangerous road to go down. Blind isn't even used in a negative context here. I have a hard time believing blind folks are actually offended by this.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? This is ridiculous semantics. I'm Trans and I wouldn't expect people to refer to Trans people as people who are trans. It is not diminishing their humanity by referring to a shared condition/common qualifier.
I've met people who are deaf that absolutely do not like being referred to as a "deaf person".
And after reading the first 5 comments, I am back to Neogaf, where the idiocy is slightly less rampant.
ok 3 post andy

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There is a point where you have to be purposely disingenuous to misunderstand the intent of a word, and at that point I find it very difficult to listen to you. This doesn't mean I am against listening to the idea of discontinuing the use of words if someone can demonstrate the negative effects they cause, like many slurs do, but as yet, absolutely no one has demonstrated how the use of the term "blind playthrough" in any way perpetuates any kind of negativity or harm. And at that point, I don't think that giving up control of the word to a subset of people who don't like it, and are disingenuous about it's intent, and ignoring the rest of those to whom it applies, who would prefer to continue using it or find the removal of it laughable, is justified.

Language can evolve, yes, but letting it be dictated arbitrarily by the whims of some people who claim to speak for a group -- who may not even in majority agree with them -- and who cannot demonstrate actual harm or perpetuation of harm, and then condemning those who do not immediately get onboard as immoral, is just asinine.

What's even more aggravating to me is in lieu of actual demonstrations of how the term is harmful, they instead just try to equate it to other words, in a way of sort of piggy-backing off the legitimacy of those terms as offensive, nevermind that they don't even bother to actually align them logically. Those other words are harmful, because they are slurs. They are expressly used with the intent of harm. And when they are invoked, that meaning is conveyed. This is why they are bad, because the meaning is bad. Words don't fucking mean anything by default. We imbue them with meaning via intent. With slurs, the intent is well established in culture. To try to compare a word not used negatively with a slur is shockingly intellectually lazy. I cannot believe anyone would give that kind of reasoning the time of day. That is just. Stunningly asinine.

I seriously cannot understand how someone with any self awareness could try and make that comparison with a straight face. Like, I have to believe you are purposely being disingenuous to make such a bad argument. Like. Yeah. I am at a loss.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else find the original argument being made by the AbleGamers COO kind of weird. They basically used a false equivalence to make their argument

"'Blind playthrough' or 'going in blind' can easily be replaced by saying 'No spoilers playthrough' or 'Undiscovered' or 'first' (if it is your first). A blind playthrough would be to turn your monitor off, and that's not what most mean," said Spohn. "Just as we used to say 'gay' when something was bad, using disability terms as an alternate word for a negative situation or feeling is common in today's language. But just as we stopped saying gay to mean bad, we can stop saying these words too. Think about the words you choose."

Like, that's not equivalent AT ALL. People were attaching a negative connotation to "gay" and making it a slur/insult when it isn't. Using "blind" the way its defined isn't doing that. Not to mention a "blind playthrough" isn't even a negative situation in the first place and the word "blind" in it isn't meant to be a bad thing.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm near sighted so I can't speak with much authority but I've never heard or seen the phrase "blind play through" used in a derogatory manner to diminish the blind ever in my life. The context is very specific to playing a game without any information or guide. I think if Twitch really gave a damn like they pretend to, they would've implemented several of the suggestions I've seen on twitter and in this thread in regards to making their site and services more accessible for the blind.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find the original argument being made by the AbleGamers COO kind of weird. They basically used a false equivalence to make their argument

Like, that's not equivalent AT ALL. People were attaching a negative connotation to "gay" and making it a slur/insult when it isn't. Using "blind" the way its defined isn't doing that. Not to mention a "blind playthrough" isn't even a negative situation in the first place and the word "blind" in it isn't meant to be a bad thing.

It just boggles my mind. I could show this statement to a 9 year old and they'd be able to tell me what a bad comparison it is.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
This is a very... bizarre and unnecessary change. If you wanted to help your site become more accommodating towards visually impared and blind people, you could actually consult them on how to work on making the site more user-friendly for them. But that would actually cost time, effort and money. It just reeks of being a cheap PR move considering everything going on with Twitch's nonsensical DMCAs and literally hosting the US military to recruit on their site.

Also, blind is not a discriminatory word like a racial slur, the r word, autistic, or "reeee" (which multiple big streamers throw around nonchalantly with no repercussions). This just seems so... hollow. Empty performative wokeness as a substitute for real positive change for those with disabilities of all shapes and sizes.

What are they actually doing for Blind gamers besides this?
Nothing.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I echo a lot of the posts here in that I never thought of the "blind" in "blind playthrough" with negative connotations. For an example that does have these connotations: the term "gimp" in Smash/other platform fighters does have them. It equates disabilities with the disadvantage state it puts you in, where you can't recover. The "blind" in "blind playthrough" however is not really used in negative contexts. It focuses on the positives from a new and untainted playthrough, not being at a disadvantage from not knowing much about the game.
This reminds me of github changing the name of the "master" branch to "main" which left me wondering who even asked for this or complained? And how does that do anything to address issues of racial discrimination in tech? It's purely performative
That change didn't bother me because "master" was not really a good name for the primary branch anyway. A lot of projects used it for development/staging purposes so it was never really a "master" version in the first place for a lot of them. Most projects use tags for releases anyway, which are what "master" versions should be.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I think if Twitch really gave a damn like they pretend to, they would've implemented several of the suggestions I've seen on twitter and in this thread in regards to making their site and services more accessible for the blind.
They don't because that cost time, effort and last but not least, money. Probably lots of money. Easier just to edit some text here and there and call it the day!

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
There's a difference between a first playthrough and blind playthrough. I can go into a game knowing a lot about it but be playing it for the first time, or go into a game knowing absolutely nothing about it and playing it for the first time. The latter would be a blind playthrough. The term blind is also not exclusive to vision.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Blind has more meanings than literally unable to see, and in this context it's not a negative or derogatory term. This makes no sense.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica

And the internet does as it always does, digs up your past.
It's almost like they know how the second definition of the word works but decided to say fuck it for PR points, although it seems to have backfired much like the whole DMCA debacle

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
isn't 'blind playthrough' based on terms like 'going in blind', 'blinded from the truth', etc....

so erm......what happened to those terms now?

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a misguided change.

Words have different meanings depending on the context, "blind" in this case has nothing to do with a disability of any kind, it is not being used as a pejorative, and it is not ableist to use it in this context.

In fact, the term "blind playthrough" is almost always used in a neutral - positive manner to advertise content.

There are ways we can be better to people without misinterpreting perfectly good use of language.

And because people have been citing it in this thread as well, "twitch" is also not always used in a pejorative, negative, or ableist sense and has multiple different definitions. A twitch isn't always involuntary and can refer to a short pull or tug, or a sudden movement. "Twitch gameplay" is also usually used in a neutral to positive manner as it means quick and reactive.

Twitch as a platform has bigger fish to fry.

Also, as has been pointed out, Spohn who is normally great, used a rotten comparison here that he really should not have.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

And the internet does as it always does, digs up your past.
It's almost like they know how the second definition of the word works but decided to say fuck it for PR points, although it seems to have backfired much like the whole DMCA debacle

This is just silly
Its perfectly possible for someone to have used a problematic/speculated to be problematic word in the past but with the coming of years changed their stance about it. This isn't a gotcha in any sense. People change.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
This is just silly
Its perfectly possible for someone to have used a problematic/speculated to be problematic word in the past but with the coming of years changed their stance about it. This isn't a gotcha in any sense. People change.
It's not meant as a gotcha from me, but rather that they clearly understand it's usage which means they should also understand it's not used in a offensive and derogatory way and therefor does not need to be removed. It's a well common word of description.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
well i think you can take Spohn's tweet at face value that this came from blind players, rather from him. Again, doesn't pass the smell test - why would he do this entirely of his own accord? And Saylor openly thinks we should move on as well. Again, we're talking about the word in pretty specific context here, and the fact that we're used to it is not a great reason.

As you and every other reasonable person say, you're open to a replacement, and I bet you after a week, no one would know the difference... except the blind players who raised the issue to Spohn in the first place (and the others they represent) who live in a more inclusive world. Win-win (or rather, neutral-win).
I'm open to a replacement on a personal, perhaps even slightly selfish, level. But I do think it's at the very least worth being wary of throwing out terms without solid justification... if not for the terms themselves, the optics of how faux-progressivism makes progressives look. It's certainly not an easy win-win, neutral-win, or necessarily even a lose-win.

Saylor had a very soft stance on the matter. And while I'm not as comfortable as you are just assuming that Spohn has the backing of blind players here, I don't necessarily attribute any ill intent on Spohn's behalf... nonetheless his comparisons to things such as the r-word are wildly misguided at best. And if those comparisons are what's influencing some people to start considering the term offensive, then they're being misguided.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm open to a replacement on a personal, perhaps even slightly selfish, level. But I do think it's at the very least worth being wary of throwing out terms without solid justification... if not for the terms themselves, the optics of how faux-progressivism makes progressives look. It's certainly not an easy win-win, neutral-win, or necessarily even a lose-win.

Saylor had a very soft stance on the matter. And while I'm not as comfortable as you are just assuming that Spohn has the backing of blind players here, I don't necessarily attribute any ill intent on Spohn's behalf... nonetheless his comparisons to things such as the r-word are wildly misguided at best. And if those comparisons are what's influencing some people to start considering the term offensive, then they're being misguided.
I think calling it faux progressivism when it came from a disabled advocacy organization who have no reason to misrepresent their interest groups is not cool.

you've stated your case and you're clearly in the majority in the thread. We can leave it at that.

Ani

Nov 9, 2020
Surely a blind playthrough isn't the same as a first playthrough. A blind playthrough implies you know nothing about the game, don't want to be told about the game and you're not using any strategies, guides, hints or tips. A first playthrough simply means it's the first time you're playing a game which applies to the majority of game playthroughs streamed on Twitch.

I guess it doesn't really matter all that much to me one way or another but I can't help but feel this doesn't really achieve anything.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I think calling it faux progressivism when it came from a disabled advocacy organization who have no reason to misrepresent their interest groups is not cool.

you've stated your case and you're clearly in the majority in the thread. We can leave it at that.

To be clear, the faux progressivism was directed at Twitch and their decision to remove the term. Neither Spohn nor Able Gamers did that, they merely got the ball rolling with the discussion, which is perfectly fair to engage in... even if I think Spohn's comparisons to slurs are misguided.

But sure, we can drop it here.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Is there more discussion among people who are blind about this topic? This is the first time I've heard about blind being offensive when used in such a context.
I don't really care about getting rid of it and thinking about it now I do get where people might have a problem with it.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm very unsurprised at this forum having zero empathy or knowledge of how this could be construed as ableist and instead resorting to poor slippery slope arguments and whataboutism.

I've always used the first playthrough tag, it does nothing to affect me. But it isn't a change meant for me anyway.

It also isn't a change worth stewing over or getting mad about.
Unless you're blind, you can't really talk about this and there are blind people raising concerns about how twitch is actually doing this for good PR and not making the site really useful for blind people. So, yeah, we should actually call them out and hear what blind people have to say and, as of now, it seems they're not digging this.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
This reminds me a lot of realtors no longer using the term "master bedroom" as an empty show of support for BLM. I'd really like to hear more opinions from blind individuals before I make a final judgment, though. It does feel a lot like faux progressivism.

This thread made me feel like shit. 7 pages of non blind people acting really shitty about a change that doesn't matter at all to them. That's enough internet today. Time to get drunk.

If your response to good-faith attempts at a reasonable discussion is to abuse alcohol, the issue here may be less to do with the discussion and more to do with your inability to cope with things you apparently disagree with.

And if you were just joking about abusing alcohol, you should think more about how many people struggle daily with alcoholism and it's not something to be joked about.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this would have referred to playing games blindfolded like they do with Punchout.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just part of a broader effort to try and think about the terminology we use. You're right that these are very common terms and they are absolutely pervasive in day to day speech, but that doesn't justify their ongoing use. Many of the disability advocacy organizations are promoting similar language guides to this. When I was growing up, "retarded" was absolutely part of the common lexicon and there was similar eye-rolling when people starting asking it not be used.

And given everyone is so keen to hear from a blind player:

I think we need to distinguish blind/disabled player being "offended" by something and just feeling like the world would be better without it. Seems like a lot of people just feel like it's the latter, and it's a very small thing for able-bodied people to do to make the world more inclusive for persons with disabilities

Should we replace the alternate definition of blind (unaware) with a different word then? I'm not sure how else you could convert "blind date" (first date doesn't mean the same thing) or "double-blind experiment" to not use the word.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
They can do whatever they want regarding this stuff, I can fairly easily adapt. I will say that this makes it harder to find what I'm looking for. Or rather just puts more word obstacles in the way. Calling something a "blind playthrough" is a two word solution for someone that is playing something without knowledge. "First time playthrough" adds a word but still doesn't quite get encapsulate exactly what people are looking for. So now we need a new way to delineate a "first time playthrough" that you've been religiously following, or read about, or watched someone play for a while, or played a demo, or remember from your youth, or maybe you played the old version like demons souls VS. A "first time playthrough" that you know next to nothing about and are trying for the first time.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you posted this, because I actually wondered the same thing. "Blind" and "double-blind" studies are extremely common in research and has nothing to do with vision.
Not vision specifically, but it's using our understanding of the word in a context of disability: perception that we lack--it's something I'd never considered before, but honestly I see it now.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're blind, you can't really talk about this and there are blind people raising concerns about how twitch is actually doing this for good PR and not making the site really useful for blind people. So, yeah, we should actually call them out and hear what blind people have to say and, as of now, it seems they're not digging this.
Yeah that's the thing, like I'm all for inclusive language but there's very little evidence that this isn't just cynical corporate co-opting of social progressivism. Which we absolutely SHOULD be highly critical of, imo

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. In fact they've still got the "blindfolded" tag.

Perfect example of why this is a very strange move. As has been said to death, blind is a common word that means many things (not just disability).

I looked through the thread but couldn't find the answer. Is there a large group of blind people pushing for this change?