• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
I really have no issue with the term "blind playthrough", and don't stopping using it. That said, as far as I'm concerned this isn't an important change at all so I suppose IDGAF.

I would be curious to know if any blind people actually asked for this.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Eh, seems a bit stupid to me. Ableist? Blind is a common word that doesn't just refer to a visually impaired person. Blinded by anger, blind to a problem, etc. So them coming to this conclusion seems really stupid. I guess someone thought this would be some easy, good PR. Swing and a miss.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
First play through was always there so it was maybe ..redundant anyway?

Blind would be without perception. Meaning no knowledge, guides and more.

I always use guides, videos and more. So my first play through isn't technically a blind one as per say.

Removal of this is kind of dumb. People look for others for the destiny raids to do blind play throughs all the time because they want to solve it without help

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Eh, seems a bit stupid to me. Ableist? Blind is a common word that doesn't just refer to a visually impaired person. Blinded by anger, blind to a problem, etc. So them coming to this conclusion seems really stupid. I guess someone thought this would be some easy, good PR. Swing and a miss.

Using blind to mean ignorant I think is getting to the heart of what some people are criticizing. Whether you agree or not I think at least that makes sense?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Using blind to mean ignorant I think is getting to the heart of what some people are criticizing. Whether you agree or not I think at least that makes sense?

Lacking perception is being ignorant. Using blind to mean ignorant is not and should not be a problem.

No, it does not make sense.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm finding really amusing that blind people in the replies of that tweet are annoyed because the term, apparently, didn't bother them and twitch did it for PR while not including stuff that would really benefit them.
Are there any blind people on ERA to support these claims? Are you really bothered by the usage of the blind term?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This does not interfere with my ability to choose my own words so I'm okay with it.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
If there hasn't been a wide outcry for this change among visually impaired people then it's probably more damaging than helpful. Twitch gets to feel good and pleased with themselves despite not doing anything worthwhile, all while "proving a point" to ignorant people about how "PC" and "sensitive" everyone is that will just put more wrenches into efforts to make good changes in this area.

Kiryani

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
The reactions to this thread are expected of a forum absolutely notorious for reading a title and nothing else on the topic.

All this does is remove the official 'blind playthrough' tag for active streamers. It does not dictate what they may or may not use as a stream title or in their overlays while streaming. It doesn't force anybody here to stop using the term, or other terms that seem congruent to it.

That's it. This shouldn't be cause to clutch pearls over how language police are coming for your mouth or thoughts or internet posts.

What about the people who are blind that are genuinely effected by this?

I think the common consensus seems to be in their favour, not just 'they took our words'

I doubt anyone would have any issue with this at all, if there weren't people who are blind that are feeling marginalised due to not being consulted , when they would have said there was no issue, but possible given the platform to actually raise their legitimate concerns.

May 19, 2020
it's incredibly funny that twitch has no power/inclination to fix any of its actual problems so it does something that little to no one was actually asking for as a very obvious smokescreen

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could certainly imagine being blind and personally not liking it, though I guess if I'm blind I wouldn't be seeing the tag anyway but yeah I get it. I use the term blind playthrough a lot just when talking about games so maybe I should think about coming up with a different term. I don't think first playthrough necessarily works because that still leaves the open the possibility of me having seen some of the game before.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
It makes sense, but that doesn't make it correct. Blind does not mean ignorant, and isn't being used in that way when saying 'blind playthrough'. If someone thought it did I would say education is what's needed in that instance rather than reaction.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What exactly are you referring to? This is a very specific callout. Are there a bunch of examples of this that you have in mind?
A lot of streamers from Sodapoppin to xqc have used "autistic" as a way to describe a lot of things (most all negative).

I am confused by your question. Do you doubt this usage exists on Twitch?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
What about the people who are blind that are genuinely effected by this?

I think the common consensus seems to be in their favour, not just 'they took our words'

I doubt anyone would have any issue with this at all, if there weren't people who are blind that are feeling marginalised due to not being consulted , when they would have said there was no issue, but possible given the platform to actually raise their legitimate concerns.
You're right Twitch is doing the absolute minimum low-effort thing possible and the reaction should be "Twitch should do more than this!"

Unfortunately the reaction is a bunch of shitposts about the dictionary and I want to say it's a disappointing look for this community, but I'm not at all surprised given the general standards of behavior this site exercises on beat with twitter/reddit/4chan.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This is stupid. The dictionary definition of blind is not just visually impaired, but also "lacking perception, awareness, or discernment."

And this meaning is used EVERYWHERE, from fiction to science. It's a useful, widely adopted, and neutral part of the lexicon.

Context makes this extremely obvious. It's kind of insulting to blind people to imagine their impairment leaves them unable to discern context as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch has a ton of problems.

An official tag with "blind" on it wasn't one of them.

And of the things they could do to be more inclusive to visually impaired people, this was the most basic and easy and low effort one. They deleted a tag.

They aren't doing jack shit to fix the actual look of the website to make it easier for visually impaired people to see it or anything with TTS.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
They should improve the site for better readability for those with vision impairment, that would be an actual meaningful change.

But then again, twitch doesn't do meaningful changes. Just pr fluff.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Then let's also stop using the following phrases:

- Blind to the truth.
- Love is Blind.
- Turn a blind eye.
- Blind spot.
- Fly blind.
- Blind date.

This is dumb.
Yeah, let's ban speedrunning because I can't run for shit.

Great job Twitch, that DMCA problem will surely fix itself, and this is far more important right now!

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
This change is the most harmless thing to get mad at.

Last edited:

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
What's the correct sub for this? I feel like first playthrough isn't quite it. Anyone playing a game for the first time is going to have a first playthrough, but going in "blind" implies you know little to nothing about the game before starting.
Unspoiled would probably be a good one. I can see where they are coming from, and it's just words so I'm all for a change that might make people feel slightly better.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I'm very unsurprised at this forum having zero empathy or knowledge of how this could be construed as ableist and instead resorting to poor slippery slope arguments and whataboutism.

I've always used the first playthrough tag, it does nothing to affect me. But it isn't a change meant for me anyway.

It also isn't a change worth stewing over or getting mad about.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
if it hurts blind people.
Is it reasonable to be hurt by a descriptive word used universally, in countless fields and in dozens of benign colloquialisms?

Ban the word twitch too, because epilepsy is real and nothing to laugh about. Ban the word run because some people are differently abled.

This isn't a slippery slope argument. Words have multiple defitions. It's how language works. And "blind" is not an insult to the visually impaired. It's a neutral description of their visual sense.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm blind in one eye, I can't really speak from a fully blind prospective, but I have never considered "blind playthrough" to actually mean blind as in visually impaired, or to mock blind people. There's so many uses for blind as a word, it's whatever though, first playthrough works too. It is what it is.

Like someone else said, "love is blind", "blind date", etc. are commonly used, and not in a mocking way. Just like blind playthrough. I'm remembering a Blind spell in Final Fantasy, there's also a Cripple ability in Dragon Age.

That said, I would love to have a bonus on VR equipment to let me disable one side or the 3d effect to get performance boosts in games.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't bother me, so if it makes people more comfortable to label them "first time playthrough" then sure why not.

That being said, to me a blind playthrough would be playing it having not seen any gameplay of the title before whereas a first time playthrough doesn't really imply the player hasn't seen trailers, gameplay, other peoples streams, etc.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Like people have asked and suggested. I want to know what blind people think about this, first and foremost. Not what "allies" have to say.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I've always used the first playthrough tag, it does nothing to affect me.
First playthrough doesn't mean the same as blind playthrough though. They're not equal and far from the same meaning, that's why 'blind playthrough' exists to begin with.
It kinda is, because they're using the word as a derogatory term and sort of saying it can only be derogatory and have no other meaning, hence why they changed it.
There are so many other things they could've added to support visual impairment and instead they did this and this is seems more offensive tbh.
I'm very unsurprised at this forum having zero empathy or knowledge of how this could be construed as ableist
Looks like the only people who wanted this change are PR people and actual people with impairments doesn't mind the word blind because its a description which can be to both persons and objects and is not derogatory in and of itself and would rather they implement things to assist them in using/interact with the site better. So yeah, I have no empathy with this change because it's not being used to describe a person in a mean, hurtful or derogatory way. And that is also dictionary knowledge for you.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm very unsurprised at this forum having zero empathy or knowledge of how this could be construed as ableist and instead resorting to poor slippery slope arguments and whataboutism.

I've always used the first playthrough tag, it does nothing to affect me. But it isn't a change meant for me anyway.

Was the change a response to critiques from visually impaired people?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Like people have asked and suggested. I want to know what blind people think about this, first and foremost. Not what "allies" have to say.
I asked my father if that phrase bothers him, or if phrases like "going in blind" offend him and he told me no (he actually used much more colorful language than that). That doesn't mean other people who are blind didn't complain. "Blind" in these use cases is ableist in the same way that referring to games that are "old" is ageist. They're not. Words have multiple meanings and connotations. Instead of this performative change, I'd love to see Twitch actually tackle the hate speech that's so prevalent in their chats.

First playthrough doesn't mean the same thing as blind playthrough though. My first time playing a game can come after months or years of watching other people play it.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
This is such a shitty attempt at Lip service without actually helping actual blind people and seeing people here praise is is hilarious

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Twitch should probably change their name too then

3P8CpAt.png

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest, does Twitch have any features to specifically support visually impaired streamers/viewers?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

Twitch Removes 'Blind Playthrough' Tag After Disability Criticism

Since 2018, Twitch has had a tag system that allows streamers to categorize their broadcasts according to their content’s contents and give viewers an at-a-glance idea of what they’re about. Tags also tie into Twitch’s still-rudimentary (but increasingly prominent) recommendation system. Until...

I feel like Spohn is hardly neutral here considering he just got a million from Twitch.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Steven Spohn is often right about these issues but he's off the mark here. His logic follows but it doesn't actually seem to have the support of blind people.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
except blind being used in this context is perfectly acceptable? since it's using the context of someone lacking awareness and has nothing to do with being visually impaired?

up next: twitch rename the mute button to be more inclusive