• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Was the feedback primarily from disabled users or regular users who don't know any better finding something offensive on disabled people's behalf?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
We have other words that can describe this don't we? Great thing about language, especially English, there are a ton of words that can be used.

We should. I don't see why there is so much pushback when people ask us to do so? Also the irony of using the word 'dumb' in this thread.

The word has a very specific definition though. This isn't a case of misusing a word as a way to be insulting toward a group of people.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
When I was in high school a kid at my lunch table told me she found the r word offensive, and gave an impassioned argument as to why she thought that, and I immediately stopped using that word.

I haven't seen anyone come to me and say we should stop using "blind playthrough" to reference a playthrough of the game where you know no information going in though. In fact, I've seen the opposite. From blind people, to boot.

So continue to use it? I'm not sure what you want from me to be honest, I'm just giving my opinion on people using certain terms. As far as the Twitch thing is, I don't see it as a big deal to change it.

The word has a very specific definition though. This isn't a case of misusing a word as a way to be insulting toward a group of people.

Sadly a lot of these words have had their definitions changed over time to mean actual insults. You can look up many of these terms like 'dumb' and because of how people use them, dictionaries have adopted these definitions as well.

As with all of these things it comes down to intent, there's no intent to insult people with blind playthrough so I wouldn't be a person that would woke scold them or something. But other people have said they want to move the Overton Window a certain way towards not using these words so I'd be like okay cool fine. As with most of these things I just don't see it as a big deal to change.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird decision, Twitch should do more to combat ableism on the platform than removing a widely used but only vaguely offensive tag.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
This would be fine if blind wasn't actually the proper term being used?

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
First playthrough is a more than fair tag for people to use.
Not really the same thing i think. I dont know how it was on twitch but my understanding is that a blind playthrough is not only your first but it also means that you won't look up any guides. Again i don't know how the tag was used on twitch but for instance under blind playthrough i would assume that they aren't using the help from chat.

Aug 30, 2020
I feel this is an especially good change if only for helping surface true blind play throughs like this, which are beyond AMAZING to me.

I love this series

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OddMadeupAnemonecrab-size_restricted.gif

EDIT: To add more to this than just a shitposting gif: Maybe they should consider improving their site for easier usage by people who are blind instead of some performative nonsense like this.

Last edited:

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest problem here is that "blind' is hardly used as a negative connotation, unlike other words used as examples.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I agree with this. "Blind" has many different definitions, including the one used on Twitch. I've never once heard anyone say "blind play through" as a means to disparage a blind person, and "first playthrough" does not mean the same thing at all.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Personally, this strikes me as a piece of wholly performative PR to try to distract from the many, many problems the platform is experiencing.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
What? This is ridiculous semantics. I'm Trans and I wouldn't expect people to refer to Trans people as people who are trans. It is not diminishing their humanity by referring to a shared condition/common qualifier.
I regularly work with students with disabilities, and we are taught to use person-centered language. Person first, then disability (boy with autism vs. autistic boy, for example).

With that being said, this is ridiculous.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i ain't gonna sit here and complain about people asking for a change and their complaints being addressed

especially when it doesn't effect me

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Then let's also stop using the following phrases:

- Blind to the truth.
- Love is Blind.
- Turn a blind eye.
- Blind spot.
- Fly blind.
- Blind date.

This is dumb.

I agree. This is quite ridiculous. It would make more sense if blind was used in a derogatory way, but it's not—it's a completely generic descriptor. I looked it up, and blind originated as a more general word meaning imperception/lack of direction, and the association with not being able to see came later, and then medical blindness came even later.

It's a totally normal word. There's nothing to reclaim. It's not used in a derogatory way. This argument makes no sense.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Twitch is a joke of a platform, focus on the creators, random bans as well as DMCA takedowns. Calling someone blind or using the word blind isn't offensive to anyone.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
It's also a pretty neutral term, "blind playthrough" doesn't carry a negative connotation. It's purely descriptive...

This is my gut reaction too. I get the issues with using things like "lame" or "gay" as insults and long ago worked to excise those from my vocabulary. (Gay never really was for me, I've been sensitive to that from a very young age since my mom had a lot of gay friends. It was used that way all the time by others when I was a kid though) The issue there though isn't that these words can't be used, its that you're taking a group who exists, and using the name of their group to just mean negative in a blanket sense. It has a clear motivation.

There's none of that with this though. A blind playthrough isn't a negative thing. Its just being used as a descriptive word, without any sort of moral connotation. The same is mostly true of other ways we use blind. If blind people have a problem with it on some sort of scale I don't mind changing it, there's plenty of other ways to say these things so it seems absurd to fight hard to hang onto them if they're hurting people, but I'm not quite sure I get the issue.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No, but they allow streamers to call things "autistic" without reprecussion.

Oh I agree that the ableism is poor. Twitch chat spamming Pepega every time someone says something they find silly is another thing.

Personally, this strikes me as a piece of wholly performative PR to try to distract from the many, many problems the platform is experiencing.

Well this is Twitch in a nutshell. If they cared about albeism they wouldn't allow streamers to use terms like the r word and autism prolifically. I doubt they really care it was probably just easier to change it to gain some good PR.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
We have other words that can describe this don't we? Great thing about language, especially English, there are a ton of words that can be used.

Ehh you can also make the argument that in English, words often have more than one meaning. Which is obviously the case with the word blind here.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I agree. This is quite ridiculous. It would make more sense if blind was used in a derogatory way, but it's not—it's a completely generic descriptor. I looked it up, and blind originated as a more general word meaning imperception/lack of direction, and the association with not being able to see came later, and then medical blindness came even later.

It's a totally normal word. There's nothing to reclaim. It's not used in a derogatory way. This argument makes no sense.

I don't know that the origin of the word particularly matters. Language evolves and certainly a lack of sight is the most commonly used sense of the word today. I agree though that the fact that there's no derogatory meaning behind the usage here makes this all somewhat confusing

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Oof. Blind means more than the disability associated with it. I've been using that phrase for a very long time and I don't plan on stopping. I mean I see it on this very forum all the time leading up to a highly anticipated game like "Can't wait to get in, I'm going in completely blind" etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

muteant

Nov 1, 2017
i personally think this sort of thing (the change to policy, not the phrase itself) is condescending toward disabled persons, but the world has a will of its own, I suppose.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
What? This is ridiculous semantics. I'm Trans and I wouldn't expect people to refer to Trans people as people who are trans. It is not diminishing their humanity by referring to a shared condition/common qualifier.

I added a little more between your quote.
I'm just drawing upon sensitivity training I had. Maybe it's not the best in every situation. It's just supposed to avoid defining someone by their characteristic, as opposed to someone with a characteristic.

My apologies.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel this is an especially good change if only for helping surface true blind play throughs like this, which are beyond AMAZING to me.

I love this series

I'm not sure how this helps with what you're saying in any way. It's just removing the tag. It's not preventing people from still using the term blind playthrough, or reserving the tag for people who are blind posting playthroughs

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Was this an actual concern in the blind community or is this people being offended on other's behalf?

I would also like to know more of this, cause so far I've only seen a negative response against this from a blind person saying this was hurting their self-esteem. The term "blind" has always had several definitions and is commonly used in many neutral words in our day-to-day language. To me it just doesn't share a negative connotation, but I am willing to learn more if I am wrong.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I've heard that the preferred way is "people with autism" not "autistic" but I'm not sure why this is the case tbh. Learned that from Atypical on Netflix so maybe it's wrong?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, first playthrough seems fine, but yeah, this seems more performative on Twitch's end more than anything.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The reactions to this thread are expected of a forum absolutely notorious for reading a title and nothing else on the topic.

All this does is remove the official 'blind playthrough' tag for active streamers. It does not dictate what they may or may not use as a stream title or in their overlays while streaming. It doesn't force anybody here to stop using the term, or other terms that seem congruent to it.

That's it. This shouldn't be cause to clutch pearls over how language police are coming for your mouth or thoughts or internet posts.

Oct 27, 2017

This reminds me of github changing the name of the "master" branch to "main" which left me wondering who even asked for this or complained? And how does that do anything to address issues of racial discrimination in tech? It's purely performative

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like a bunch of people getting offended for other people. Thanks twitch for focusing on this and not the real issues on your platform lol

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Cant wait for speedrun to be removed because there are people not able to run.
Or twitch changing their name etc...

Ladomania

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
Blind has more meanings than the disability, also first playthrough doesn't mean the same thing as blind playthrough.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Then let's also stop using the following phrases:

- Blind to the truth.
- Love is Blind.
- Turn a blind eye.
- Blind spot.
- Fly blind.
- Blind date.

This is dumb.
Blind in and of itself is not a derogatory term but a description. How would you rephrase these without just making it a longer way of saying it? Its just as derogatory then just with different words... would it not?

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of shit that makes people complain about PC culture, social justice, et al. "Blind" means more than "visually impaired, and the term "blind playthrough" is an apt description. What's worse is the recommendation to replace a succinct descriptor with a more verbose yet more ambiguous phrase like "first playthrough, no spoilers."

Next will be length challenged games instead of short games.