• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry Twitch, this war ended over a decade ago. The only thing this will do is push viewers away entirely.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be fine with Twitch ads if they were run less frequently. Discovery on Twitch is already pretty bad but it's insane that opening a new stream is an auto commercial before you can watch it.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Ads pushed me off youtube years ago. It will push me off Twitch as well. It's already changed my viewing habits. I am much less likely to check out new streamers, I will dip out of stream-raids because of it, and significantly decreased how often I visit the site in general.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do yourself a favour and download this:
chrome.google.com

Alternate Player for Twitch.tv

Alternate player of live broadcasts for Twitch.tv website.
Vastly superior to the standard player and, as of yet, no ads. Thank me later.
Huh, I didn't put it together before now but I guess this is why I haven't been getting those ads lol... Definitely recommend it.

Edit: There's also a Firefox extension for people like me that use Firefox.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Twitch Turbo still exists and does ignore ads.

The problem with it is that ignoring ads is literally its only feature now. Everything else it has is included with Prime, and Turbo does not include the big Prime content like the third party games and DLC and the free channel sub.

Oh it still exists? The way some people talked about it I thought it was gone. Good to know.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
They probably don't really care if the net gain is positive, but this seems like it's introducing a lot of friction to watch of variety of streams and try new ones, on a platform basically everyone already admits is 'top heavy" and has very poor discoverability.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
yeah it is insanely annoying watching a twitch stream if you aren't subbed to that streamer. Nothing like getting ads the second you land on their page either.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ads were the reason I stopped using Twitch for any sort of entertainment to begin with. I always manage to miss something because of an ad. It would be different if it wasn't live content.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
If this keeps escalating at some point I'll just stop watching live streams altogether and just download whole streams with VLC to watch at my convenience.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Dear twitch... I use to pay you to not see ads, then you changed how twitch prime worked and I got ads and I stopped paying you.

I'm so glad I got off the platform... Fuck ads.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With Ublock I can just refresh to get rid of the message saying I'm using an adblocker, too bad it pops back up like ten minutes later.

I'll just stop watching streams at this point, like fuck off.

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
I was trying to watch Giantbomb infinite yesterday and wondered why this garbage kept coming up.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do yourself a favour and download this:
chrome.google.com

Alternate Player for Twitch.tv

Alternate player of live broadcasts for Twitch.tv website.
Vastly superior to the standard player and, as of yet, no ads. Thank me later.
Damn, this is sweet. I'm trying it right now, and while I like it, there seems to be a longer delay of the video. I see that I can modify some settings such as "buffer size" and "buffer overflow". Do you know which values I should use with these settings to get the same delay as that of the regular player? That's fairly important to me as I often interact with the chat.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe that this a bug, considering Thursday and Friday of last week someone was updating ublock to block the ads and Twitch was implementing fixes to stop them. The midroll ad spam didn't start happening until after a few days of back and forth between ublock and Twitch.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Good luck with that. People always find a way to adblock the adblock blockers (my head hurts).

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I'm probably part of that site performance reduction. I finally found away around the pre roll ads they show when you select a stream. By spam clicking between multiple channels eventually the ad serve script gives up and just lets you watch the channel without the ad. Takes a few seconds and is far quicker than sitting though the same amazon ad over and over.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this is sweet. I'm trying it right now, and while I like it, there seems to be a longer delay of the video. I see that I can modify some settings such as "buffer size" and "buffer overflow". Do you know which values I should use with these settings to get the same delay as that of the regular player? That's fairly important to me as I often interact with the chat.
That's a little above my pay grade I'm afraid. I just keep the connection quality on "good" and leave it at that.

I don't know if it'll help, but if you mouse over any of the settings under buffering it pops up with a little explanation. You might have an easier time parsing them than me.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
While I hate the ads as much as anyone, would Twitch exist without them? I dont really see them as intrusive. They run over the video screen pretty much how you'd expect them to though I have seen some of the midroll ones push the stream to the side so you can kinda see both (impossible on mobile cause the streamer window is too small). Not sure how else they should be played. People complain they load when they join a stream but they complain even more when they run in the middle of a stream. Obviously the end isn't an option

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a little above my pay grade I'm afraid. I just keep the connection quality on "good" and leave it at that.

I don't know if it'll help, but if you mouse over any of the settings under buffering it pops up with a little explanation. You might have an easier time parsing them than me.
Alright, thanks. I dropped the buffer size to 3 and it's better, so I'll leave it at that.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I hate the ads as much as anyone, would Twitch exist without them? I dont really see them as intrusive. They run over the video screen pretty much how you'd expect them to though I have seen some of the midroll ones push the stream to the side so you can kinda see both (impossible on mobile cause the streamer window is too small). Not sure how else they should be played. People complain they load when they join a stream but they complain even more when they run in the middle of a stream. Obviously the end isn't an option
Amazon is already one of the wealthiest companies on the planet, and they make more than enough revenue from subs and donos on Twitch to fund the website's existence and maintenance.

There's other ad-based sources of revenue for them as well that are a lot less intrusive such as bounties and ad-breaks which are controlled by the streamer.

delta

Nov 2, 2017
BC, CANADA
I don't watch Twitch but I assume there's an influx of viewers now because of the pandemic and more bandwidth is needed?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only really watch twitch now for Maximilian_dood. But even if I wasn't unemployed for a year and a half, I'd never get a twitch turbo. Bezos the bald dragon has hoarded enough money from the world.

If ads weren't so much of an invasive privacy nightmare I'd turn adnasuem off. I can't be completely protected on the internet, but I'll do whatever meagre attempts I am capable of.

If VODs are affected too, then I guess I'm never gonna watch his streams anymore. Fucking sucks, Max always does right by his fans.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
There is a script you can run that refreshes the page whenever it detects the PSA. Since ad-blockers successfully block pre-roll ads, this is the best solution currently.

Twitch has never been this aggressive at fighting back against ad blocking. Wonder if they will give up eventually.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Amazon is already one of the wealthiest companies on the planet, and they make more than enough revenue from subs and donos on Twitch to fund the website's existence and maintenance.

There's other ad-based sources of revenue for them as well that are a lot less intrusive such as bounties and ad-breaks which are controlled by the streamer.

Would need receipts on "Make more than enough revenue from subs and donos". Not going to assume you're just assuming that but logically they're not making enough revenue to cover their expenses from subs and donos, hence the ads.

Amazon only posts their gross revenue from twitch so can't find a solid source outside of some websites highlighting key facts that can help figure it out...
www.forbes.com

Report: Amazon’s Twitch Not Meeting Ad Revenue Expectations

Twitch leads the live-streaming market, pulling in a reported $230 million in ad revenue for 2018, but that still pales in comparison to YouTube.

One thing that stood out is Twitch made 1.54 in revenue while Youtube gaming made 1.45 billion in revenue which way less viewers and much less content and content creators. That metric alone casts doubts that Amazon is killing it with Twitch since they make far less while supporting far more in terms of infrastructure, employees, revenue sharing, and operational costs. Since youtube's primary revenue driver is ads, it makes sense twitch is looking to increase their margins in this area.

Last edited:

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Get an auto-refresh set to like 10mins so the ad/message won't showup. Probably the least annoying work around.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's funny because I'm more upset about this DMCA shit making streamers delete years of VODs. Fuck DMCA.

Yesterday I got 30 sec long ads every 10 minutes. Absolutely insane and unwatchable.

Do you use an adblocker? If so, I'm pretty sure they're reclaiming ads and largely these media companies don't care if the experience is worse for people they aren't monetizing.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
With the ublock fix all I have to do is refresh every once in awhile when Twitch puts up their anti-ad block message. Other than that it's ad free. Twitch will never win this war.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If they are partnered, it should be strictly decided by the channel owner and nobody else. They've effectively ruined the browsing aspect of Twitch. I stick to just one channel when I watch now because I really don't want to get slapped with an ad when I go to a different streamer.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
If they are partnered, it should be strictly decided by the channel owner and nobody else. They've effectively ruined the browsing aspect of Twitch. I stick to just one channel when I watch now because I really don't want to get slapped with an ad when I go to a different streamer.

Now this I agree with. But this started for me when they started with pre-rolls in general.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would need receipts on "Make more than enough revenue from subs and donos". Not going to assume you're just assuming that but logically they're not making enough revenue to cover their expenses from subs and donos, hence the ads.

Amazon only posts their gross revenue from twitch so can't find a solid source outside of some websites highlighting key facts that can help figure it out...
www.forbes.com

Report: Amazon’s Twitch Not Meeting Ad Revenue Expectations

Twitch leads the live-streaming market, pulling in a reported $230 million in ad revenue for 2018, but that still pales in comparison to YouTube.

One thing that stood out is Twitch made 1.54 in revenue while Youtube gaming made 1.45 billion in revenue which way less viewers and much less content and content creators. That metric alone casts doubts that Amazon is killing it with Twitch since they make far less while supporting far more in terms of infrastructure, employees, revenue sharing, and operational costs. Since youtube's primary revenue driver is ads, it makes sense twitch is looking to increase their margins in this area.
YouTube is significantly more than just a streaming platform though, and they're not fighting adblockers tooth and nail in order to push ads.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Yup Asmongold made this point 2 days ago. The preroll ads won't hurt huge streamers like him too much but will absolutely kill the already awful discoverability of twitch and lower viewer count streamers.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations for that Firefox/Chrome addon, this is working great!

Is there any equivalent for Android?

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Branch that is still updated: https://streamlink.github.io

Livestreamer is also good way to watch some Twitch, requires bit more setup and advanced knowledge to set up: https://github.com/chrippa/livestreamer/releases

It hooks up playback to e.g. VLC (also supports other media players).
You probably want Streamlink it's an actively maintained fork of Livestreamer which seems abandoned.
You will want to combine Streamlink with the Twitch GUI (basically a Twitch desktop app) as well for a superior experience watching streams.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm paying Amazon what $120 a year for Prime? An ad free Twitch Prime should be a part of the deal honestly.