• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
old.reddit.com

Twitch limiting to 480p now?

An efficient blocker add-on for various browsers. Fast, potent, and lean.

EDIT: theres a fix for it already;

just purge all caches and update in the ublock options

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Twitch is now going to fuck itself as far as I'm concerned. I don't plan to ever use it again until I can watch 1080p streams with uBlock Origin enabled in peace. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
lmao they're really trying aren't they.

make sure you use anti-adblock killer if you don't already

Last edited:

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I thought that mixer dying was a good thing, now I see that twitch needs some competition...

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
they really trying their hardest to get rid of adblock users

wouldnt be surprised if it gets to the point they straight up block you

Aim_Ed

Nov 1, 2017
Users talking about it on Hasan's stream but I haven't experienced the downgrade yet.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't even opened the website for a week after they really started pushing this shit. Fuck em, not worth the effort of jumping through a million hoops just to use their service when there are other platforms that let you actually enjoy content without being constantly interrupted by pre and mid roll ads (and now at a significantly higher quality than twitch streams).

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used it in a while but I imagine it's still working fine, so:

shuckles in Streamlink Twitch GUI

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually nice for people with slow connection watching non partner streamers. Or I am missing something?

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Joke's on them, my internet is so shit that the stream constantly buffers even at 720p.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
That's honestly just fucking ridiculous. Twitch is trying to kill its platform (it won't die though)

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
A-OK with 480p. The alternative wouldn't be no ad-blocker, it would be no more watching and cancellation of all my subs.

EDIT: Never mind, the alternate player extension works fine on all resolutions. Guess I'm good either way!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting limited to 480p, yeah. Welp, time to dust off the alternative player extension.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
My uBlock Origin and the Extra extension don't even work on Twitch anymore. I don't really watch Twitch anymore, not when I get an ad immediately upon launching every stream.

Gooey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using ublock origin and still getting 1080p. Maybe it's a slow rollout but I'm also still getting ads so who knows

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
so put an exception for Twitch under uBlock, but then put another blocker on it from another service. got it.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They've been aggressively trying anti-adblock things in the last week. Constantly needing to update certain things in uBlock, and also if mid-stream ads play now, it goes to a purple screen saying "We've noticed you're using an adblocker" for the duration of their ads.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind ads if they aren't so jeering and disruptive. Instead of putting all this work into blocking the blockers how about making the ads more palatable .

Oct 26, 2017
twitch ads bypassing my setup blocker to block them was already pushing me off the platform.

guess this'll just make me stop using twitch all together

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I never watch in fullscreen anyway, always just in a corner in a small window, so like.... not a loss for me on the rare time I use twitch lol.

Sometimes when using Multitwitch for tournaments I even go down to 360p and just have it in smaller windows.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I did not know about ublock. Thanks guys anf don't mind watching Twitch streams at 480p. They won't get a penny from me

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Tested twitch with uBlock on Firefox, no issues. I pay for Turbo so it doesn't bother me, but I don't know if this is actually getting enforced.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Alternate player is working for full res still. FWIW I don't think it's a blanket ublock thing, it's specifically people who put the fix to get around ads.

They're getting insanely aggressive here though. The ads are incredibly invasive so I'll keep blocking them, if they're going to go this far to tank quality for the user then the site is just going to get visited less.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, less cost of bandwidth to people that skip ads. Is it only ublock though? There are other adblockers too.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Oh yeah, this'll totally work, just like every other time monolithic organisations have gone up against hordes of passionate amateurs.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Twitch engineers spend more time combating adblockers than developing their dogshit video player and mobile apps.