• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Maybe! But again, Excellent Adventures never delved into politics. So it's hard to know if it was always there and he was sending off "dog whistles" that I (and many other viewers) missed, or if he was — as other posters have mentioned — more recently radicalized.
The first thing I learned about Gootecks was how he'd charge through the nose for SF4 training sessions extremely early in that game's life despite not being nearly the caliber of player who could justify such a thing. This was literally around the time of the release of the console version of the game.

Some point early in Crosscounter's life I actually ordered some DVDs from them because I thought they were putting out worthwhile content and wanted to support. Never received the product, so I thought "oh, of course, this guy's a swindler."

So it wasn't terribly surprising to me that some shady character who latched onto whatever get rich quick scheme he could use ended up being a conspiracy nutter years later.

Mike Ross is two-faced as hell too but I at least understand his frustration and burnout that led to him dropping off the face of the earth for a while.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

This is actually a bigger deal, as a lot of channels use this, and there are more variations of gooteks emotes on there.

RIP

hJSrQ8y.png

So many great emotes.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sad he turned out to be an ass. I was watching him hop back into SFV here and there a few months back. Never knew about his personal beliefs. What an idiot.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see some stats on PogChamp since introducing the daily Pog 'cus, at least from what I've seen, PogChamp has all but died out. Now everyone is just using BTTV alternatives.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
real sad what happened with critical bard today

Had to look it up.

I guess a black twitch streamer that said white lives don't matter or something and got slammed into protecting his tweets? What does that have to do with PogChamp exactly?

EDIT: Ah, I see he was today's PogChamp alternative and got baited by dickwads. That sucks man.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, what happened? Who is Critical Bard?

A black TTRPG enthusiast and performer with a background in singing and opera. Most recently, he hosted three round-table Twitch conversations with other black creators in the video game and TTRPG space during the black protests this summer, the first of which can be found here.

And yeah as Shroki says, he was today's Pogchamp face and asshole racists swarmed his social medias with hate messages. Thank goodness he had a lot of friends sticking up for him on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

yea. It's one of those conversations that can't be effectively done in 30 seconds. Mostly because perspective and context on the history of "white" and "whiteness" as an exclusionary concept is required to understand what is being said.

It's algebra and most people are still working with just enough historical understanding to do addition and subtraction.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like to see some stats on PogChamp since introducing the daily Pog 'cus, at least from what I've seen, PogChamp has all but died out. Now everyone is just using BTTV alternatives.

The UnRoolie, uminokaiju and criticalbard ones were meh PogChamp emotes. The Reversal one just wasn't even remotely trying to be PogChamp, so it shows a big lack of understanding on Twitch's end of what their own emotes are supposed to look like and the """"emotions"""" they're supposed to convey.

They removed the gootecks emote because gootecks said what he said. And while I agree with that decision, they should have given it some time before coming up with a new PogChamp emote instead of going straight for the "it should be a new streamer every day!" idea. The idea is good on paper, but all it does is create a situation where everyone wants to be PogChamp, and so engineers """"PogChamp"""" like faces in order to send them to Twitch to become PogChamp. So we get subpar emotes that don't really convey what they're supposed to be conveying. It's one of the most popular things to be spammed on Twitch, it should have more thinking behind it at this point than just having 1000s of people making an :O face and Twitch blindly choosing who. Sorry if I write PogChamp too much, it's fun to write.

At this point I just think they should let PogChamp die, I don't think they will ever be able to replace it. I agree with removing gootecks from the official Twitch emotes, but it's like having someone else be Kappa, LUL or Jebaited. Just won't work imo.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy man, used to love watching Mike and Gootecks back in the day. Had no idea he was this wacko. Just let the emote die.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Its crazy man, used to love watching Mike and Gootecks back in the day. Had no idea he was this wacko. The new pog champ guy seems like he sucks too. Just let the emote die.

Yeah, Excellent Adventures was pretty much devoid of anything related to politics so unless you read his stuff or watched more recent rants, it's easy to not have seen it coming or not knowing it was a thing. It took me by surprise too, that show was just so positive and fun. Introduced a lot of people to fighting games too.

I do think he radicalized very quickly in the more recent years though, not sure where he was at during the peak era.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Excellent Adventures was pretty much devoid of anything related to politics so unless you read his stuff or watched more recent rants, it's easy to not have seen it coming or not knowing it was a thing. It took me by surprise too, that show was just so positive and fun. Introduced a lot of people to fighting games too.

I do think he radicalized very quickly in the more recent years though, not sure where he was at during the peak era.

I used to watch literally every single FNF, every tournament, and followed that entire FGC scene during its peak. Never once did I suspect anything like that from him or Mike, but I think it was just a different time back then. I think the biggest controversy surrounding them at the time was that everyone thought they were always stoned.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
I feel like if Twitch implemented Day 9's idea as originally written (a random face every time PogChamp is typed) the harassment of Critical Bard could have been avoided and the emote would be a lot more interesting.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019

These are the 'dug up tweets'

BJ6Q93l.jpg

Woof. LiveStreamFails is a total cesspool. Whoever clipped that knew what they were doing though. I spent a bit of time looking up the details surrounding this because everything Critical said before leads into him saying "White lives don't matter."

Seeing an article and the massive threads about this on Reddit makes me believe this probably needs its own thread here but considering the topic I feel like many people won't respond. I wasn't going to originally until I watched both of the stream segments these clips are from.

I've never watched a Hasan stream until seeing him respond to Critical's clip. Even the Hasan context clip seems to me like a purposefully cut segment. It's like an intentionally clipped bait Inception.

Hasan's discussion on this starts at 4:21:07
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Critical clarifies his statement at 3:16:25
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

That's a lot to watch, especially if you don't care about streamers' opinions on things but a black man saying white lives don't matter is definitely going to bring attention. For people responding in this thread I'm probably repeating what you've already found but for people just seeing the clips, there really was context behind this.

Linked Twitch timestamps apparently don't work for me or I'm not doing it right.

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So, new Pogchamp is a drag streamer, Deere, and is getting a ton of hate directed towards them in posts about it/the twitch twitter post.

2nd day in a row of the pogchamp face getting hate, with nothing said from Twitch.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
So, new Pogchamp is a drag streamer, Deere, and is getting a ton of hate directed towards them in posts about it/the twitch twitter post.

2nd day in a row of the pogchamp face getting hate, with nothing said from Twitch.
Twitch does the absolute bare minimum in all these instances. Not shocking. They are the definition of performance progressives.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Twitch does the absolute bare minimum in all these instances. Not shocking. They are the definition of performance progressives.
I am wondering if they're picking users things that their community would find controversial to just remove it entirely on the basis of what's happening, Instead of addressing what's happening

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
www.pcgamer.com

Twitch's new PogChamp rotation results in racist harassment and threats

When Omega 'Critical Bard' Jones was selected as the day's PogChamp, he was greeted with abuse and death threats.

Gamers being racist assholes?
Nooooo.

Even PCGamer be like:
Frxu5Fp.png

"Yeah we better nip this shitstorm in the bud cause we know our readers."
Maybe PCGamer should fucking address the fact that they have to do this every time one of these articles comes up, cause they clearly expect a certain behaviour from their readers.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Changing it daily seems like a dumb idea. I assume the emote took off organically because it was a funny face. Having some Twitch suits swoop in to say "Use this emote instead!" seems pretty forced. Just leave it be, some other hype emote will become organically popular.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Just make a collection of PogChamp faces based on the biggest streamers (say 20 or so), and whenever you use PogChamp it randomly selects one of those.