• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
If you're in this thread and have seen the Tweet on the first page, just take the extra step of going to it, reporting it for threatening violence.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I've been around twitch long enough to remember when all the racists spammed Bwana's face. They moved to trihex after that emote was removed, and they'll find another black person to harass if trihard is removed.

Leave black content creators and their emotes alone and ban the fucking racists. There's some real victim blaming in this thread.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People still use them through Twitch extensions like BTTV and FFZ, and lots of channels have emotes that are very clearly pepe inspired.

Always strikes me as odd when I see them. I really think it's better to just let go of the meme/emote co-opted by neo nazis.
To be fair, the creator of Pepe wants these alt righters to stop using his creation for their use and even sues these racist asshats for using it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
2 things here:

First, I think its easy to underestimate just how quickly this whole Qanon thing took hold of the regular conspiracy types and turned them. I doubt anyone could have foreseen that their slightly dumb and goofy conspiracy touting friend could eventually become embroiled in anything as insane as what 2020 has dished out, no one could have seen that in the near future there would be an online conspiracy movement like Qanon that would hoover up all of these conspiracy types and mould them to be pawns for a bad faith pres like Trump.

Its impossible to undersell just how bat shit insane this rolling ball of turd that Trump started in 2016 would end up turning into because we're living it right now and dont have the luxury of taking a step back to evaluate.

Second, lets not forget that we are also taking about a community that allowed people like FChamp and Chris G to happily go about competing and thriving in the FGC for years until things got to an absolute boiling point and people werent having it anymore. The fact that no one came to their defense(thank god for that) and no one cared enough to take them to task before speaks to the ambivalence of the FGC more than anything. Diversity really doesnt mean much when that diversity isnt willing to take a stand for itself.

I think people oversell the whole diversity angle of FGC like its supposed to a panacea for people not becoming trash. Nah, the FGC always had trash people in it and will continue to have them in it, to me the gooteck situation isnt anything special because he rolled in the FGC.
good points, all.

Crazy conspiracy theories aren't just for white people.
Did someone suggest otherwise? Or did you mean to quote someone else?

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
People still use them through Twitch extensions like BTTV and FFZ, and lots of channels have emotes that are very clearly pepe inspired.

Always strikes me as odd when I see them. I really think it's better to just let go of the meme/emote co-opted by neo nazis.

The alt-right/neo-nazis/nazis will co-opt literally everything if you let them.

They're not going to go "okay they gave us pepe we stop now". That's not the ethos they are about. They're about taking everything culturally significant and burning it to the ground.

It doesn't matter if we want to talk swastika, OK symbol, pepe, proud boys, etc.

The entire M.O. is to slowly take something good people enjoy, misuse them for morally bankrupt purposes, and hope people with cede them that power. Then take something else. Then something else. Then something else. By the time you're ready to stop it, you have nothing.

The very exact opposite thing anyone should do is give those fucks the power to take stuff away.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom

They're not going to go "okay they gave us pepe we stop now". That's not the ethos they are about. They're about taking everything culturally significant and burning it to the ground.

It doesn't matter if we want to talk swastika, OK symbol, pepe, proud boys, etc.

The entire M.O. is to slowly take something good people enjoy, misuse them for morally bankrupt purposes, and hope people with cede them that power. Then take something else. Then something else. Then something else. By the time you're ready to stop it, you have nothing.

The very exact opposite thing anyone should do is give those fucks the power to take stuff away.

If people wanna continue to use it, they're free to do so. It just makes me feel weird. I'm personally more than happy to not use them or allow them on my own channel.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Too hard to pick a new name, you guys do it

www.resetera.com

Friendship ended with PogChamp, now I am...

Thanks to some absolute Qanon shithead who thinks fomenting violence against the government is a good idea, I've been banned off Twitch. Even though I love the sentiment and energy behind the emote itself, I don't really want to rep this dudes face anymore. But what's next? Y'all decide, both my...

Totally go for Kreygasm. A classic.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I used to love the excellent adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross, what the hell happened with this guy? It's like he has become unhinged over a relatively short period of time.

Please tell me Mike Ross is not an asshole too

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I humbly submit that it's replaced with the POGs mascot from the 90s game.

pogman1.gif

Twitch kids won't get it but we 90s kids will get it
I approve

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Did TriHex himself do something? I thought the problem with that one was how it was used for racism (every time there would be a black person, chat spammed TriHard).

Trihex got banned for using homophobic slurs and then used his unban as a moment to advertise and make money off the situation instead saying he was "reformed."

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Man it's tragic what happened to Gootecks. I still remember reading one of the guides he wrote for SF3 back in the day, and Excellent Adventures with Mike Ross. He was presence in the FGC for awhile. Dude has fallen off the wagon hard

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I used to love the excellent adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross, what the hell happened with this guy? It's like he has become unhinged over a relatively short period of time.

Mike was completely burnt out on the business side of gaming and the FGC. Hoping he's doing ok.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I think they need to directly replace it with another emote. I'm sure it has been brought up that people will just use twitch mods/addons to add it back in anyway and you will still see people spamming the text for it. Replace it with a new emote and it would overwrite that/do more to erase the original image.

Or just block emotes. Wish I could just auto filter any message that is only emotes/has more then 3 in them.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

For as long as I've been following fighting games (over a decade), Gootecks has always been someone who never saw a get rich quick scheme that he didn't like. It's not surprising to me at all that he became a conspiracy nutter.

Viscant probably had the best take I've seen on why this happens to this sort of person.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Trihex got banned for using homophobic slurs and then used his unban as a moment to advertise and make money off the situation instead saying he was "reformed."
I hadn't heard about that one, then yeah, I'm surprised TriHard hasn't been dropped, especially since he was banned for a while and it's still used in racist context.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I know some might disagree with you here, but you are 100% right. Letting the alt-right just co-opt everything without pushback only makes them (and their ideas) more prevalent.

Oct 26, 2017

I know some might disagree with you here, but you are 100% right. Letting the alt-right just co-opt everything without pushback only makes them (and their ideas) more prevalent.

This reminds me or a really good reddit post I saw a couple of months back in a discussion about punching Nazis.

One of my first ever encounters with someone I'd consider a 'real' punk when I was but a baby bat was a guy with a hand stenciled 'SHARP' patch on his battlevest. He showed me a bunch of polaroids from his wallet, of places he used to hangout with friends - some of which either didn't exist anymore, or turned completely toxic after neo nazis overran the scene, which is why he decided to take an aggressive stance.

The message I felt he most urgently wanted to impart to me was that fascists are fine with being 'polite' all the way up until they feel like they have enough numbers to not have to be anymore. They're common in fringe scenes where you're already looking at non-mainstream demographics, and it's like a studded black and leather version of the paradox of intolerance in action. It starts out with stuff like "hey, I was at this show last night and no one gave me shit about my black sun tattoo, you should come with me next time". He said it took less than 3 months for one of his favorite bars to become a white supremacist hotspot because they just quietly became a majority that was willing to use violence to crowd out people that weren't rolling up in a group. He said that 99/100 when it comes to places where they haven't taken over the scene, physicality never need enter the picture - you just need people willing to step up, make a scene, and make it very clear that getting physical is very much an option.

TLDR - he left me with the impression of someone who had experienced first hand that you must present not just a non-nazi but actively, aggressively, ANTI-nazi stance in any space where they feel emboldened to show their individual faces, lest they congregate.

Obviously this is talking about physical encounters but the message is the same. You can't let these people gain a foothold.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019

I've tried this take before, but unfortunately most of the community here disagreed and would rather roll over in defeat and let them have anything they want to have. It's a little sad.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I humbly submit that it's replaced with the POGs mascot from the 90s game.

pogman1.gif

Twitch kids won't get it but we 90s kids will get it

I never knew captain caveman was the pog mascot. 4th grade most of my backpack was pogs instead of schoolwork.

Also, I have to Google now what "pogchamp" emote is because I legit don't know.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. But we the fans didn't know it. So it's sad for us who watched Excellent Adventures every week.
Gootecks has been a shady figure for quite a long time. That he's ended up this way isn't surprising nor that one black mark on him. Either way, good riddance.