• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Wonder what their stance on recording in the bathroom at conventions will be?

How many N word usages by non-black users will be acceptable?

Which conspiracy theories are over the line? Which can you promote haphazardly?

Twitch is cray-cray.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern Trolling on a Sensitive Topic
She has seemed to be power-tripping hard.

But, she's likely made a small fortune off the attention her comments have drawn.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Until toxic people like DSP are kicked off the platform I will not believe anything Twitch does is helping its community.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I agree that women have it the worst, as soon a woman speaks up, there's a high chance some 14 year old or incel is going apeshit. You can't hear if someone is white by their voice though, and no, I wouldn't agree that toxic assholes or people being misogynists are also likely racist. Not that there's much worth discerning between the two.

She is responding to people disagreeing with her. Just because their opinions arent satisfactory to her doesn't mean they aren't valid opinions to be had. When did she adress them? She only said she heard them in the past and therefore wont adress them.

This isn't some random streamer making some comments, she's supposed to mediate between Twitch and the community and the people streaming on the platform, too. She's doing the complete opposite of that, banning anyone form her chat that even just disagrees with her, doing dances while "drinking their tears".

Actually, this guy has a fairly concise and reasonable take on this, I suggest checking it out, timestamped when he starts talking about the actual issue. (if you don't mind some weird quips)

I already didn't like her selection for the council but now she is parading around that she is invincible and acting like a child? Wow. I honestly did not see that coming.

This has become a stupidly awful situation.

Nov 14, 2017
Until toxic people like DSP are kicked off the platform I will not believe anything Twitch does is helping its community.
I think Twitch is putting pressure on partners to clean up their act, albeit haphazardly. The ongoing crusade by Train against people 'misusing' (lol) squadW means he must be getting pressure from somewhere to clean up his act.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yeah, I've heard she's banning for lots of things. She is creating her own echo chamber I guess. Whole situation is messy.
She is likely receiving some pretty brutal abuse (I can only imagine). That is one part I can sympathize with. Yes she had no business ever being on the council and fucked up bad, but no one deserves to be ruthlessly harassed by thousands of people.

I honestly wish someone responsible would step in and do what's in her best interest.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing representation as tokenism
So I got to wonder what the vetting process was really like, as it seems absolutely laughable. I don't have any faith in this council to start with so I don't think much will come of it but it does not look good. I feel bad for Cohh...

I also do have to wonder I know they aren't trans and maybe twitch desperately wanted a transperson in the council but like wouldn't sonic fox be a much better person to be on this council instead?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Twitch's failure to actually create clear ToS or consistently follow their own ToS is what got them into this mess. Not sure what bringing more people into the mix is going to do when you don't adequately follow your own terms.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So I got to wonder what the vetting process was really like, as it seems absolutely laughable. I don't have any faith in this council to start with so I don't think much will come of it but it does not look good. I feel bad for Cohh...

I also do have to wonder I know they aren't trans and maybe twitch desperately wanted a transperson in the council but like wouldn't sonic fox be a much better person to be on this council instead?
SonicFox was the first person I thought of. An actual beacon of equality and self love.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch's failure to actually create clear ToS or consistently follow their own ToS is what got them into this mess. Not sure what bringing more people into the mix is going to do when you don't adequately follow your own terms.

Absolute truth. Why would streamers follow the ToS when Twitch themselves refuse to hold the more popular streamers accountable.

Feel bad for Cohh though. Dude seemed genuine in wanting to make Twitch better through the council.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
This is the main clip that caused her to become scrutinized at first, those other clips came later: https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularAgileWoodpeckerShadyLulu
I... don't know what's going on here.

Regarding the topic, I'm sure it would be a much better idea to actually enforce the rules instead of making a fuss about studying how to make rules they don't plan to enforce. I'm probably not the best person to talk about Twitch rules but a lot of these controversies seem to come from their lack of moderation on their own platform. That said, streaming is so new it's probably still in the infancy stages of this kind of moderation.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I... don't know what's going on here.

Regarding the topic, I'm sure it would be a much better idea to actually enforce the rules instead of making a fuss about studying how to make rules they don't plan to enforce. I'm probably not the best person to talk about Twitch rules but a lot of these controversies seem to come from their lack of moderation on their own platform. That said, streaming is so new it's probably still in the infancy stages of this kind of moderation.
They've allowed extremely toxic behavior to be normalized across their entire platform. So yeah, their moderation is lacking to say the least.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, no, I got that you meant what you typed. It's just, you know. "Identifying as a deer." You're a kind soul not judging her for that, but well, that's a pretty funny thing for someone to say.
Thats nice of you to say that. But...yeah.
This is the main clip that caused her to become scrutinized at first, those other clips came later: https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularAgileWoodpeckerShadyLulu
Im pretty sure the main clips that got her the most flak initially were the "people disagreeing with me are white cis males" and the "a lot of you are white supremacists" ones.

The one you brought up was dug up after that. Like obviously its not cool to dig through her streams like that, but Im pretty sure the digging started because of her nonsense takes, not because of her uh...whatever shes doing there.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Some people in here are saying that the whole roleplay/deer clip (or whatever it is) was the first clip shared of her. I don't think that's actually the case. I think the first clip was the one where she talks about being on the council and removing voice chat (or her argument against doing so). Trolls then got pissed and dug up more info on her leading to that deer clip thing.

I've been paying attention pretty closely, and I don't recall that being the first clip shared of her. But... I could be wrong.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Absolute truth. Why would streamers follow the ToS when Twitch themselves refuse to hold the more popular streamers accountable.

Feel bad for Cohh though. Dude seemed genuine in wanting to make Twitch better through the council.
Ugh. For sure. Cohh seems like such a solid dude that always tries to stay above twitch bullshit. I hope he can help, but when most of the top streamers are shit heads, there is no way they are going to cut them out of the platform since that is huge $ lost.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Those tweets byLizzin whatever about Dyslexia aren't from the person thats on the council they are from a friend/mod different people all together. Lizzin is a Twitch Ambassador while Steph is on the Council two different people don't mix it up.
Ohhh. Well that's my bad. Maybe Twitch made a good choice then with who they did actually pick for the council...

There are more and more clips popping up of FS in regards to this and she seems unhinged about it all. Like did they vet this her at all?

Power tripping:

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Retraction:

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Get her out I'm sure there are more choices that are better than her. I feel sorry for Cohh he seems like he genuinely wants it to work but all the negativity coming out of it is because of one bad choice.
Oh, nevermind.

Yeah, I stand by what I said, but I change it to fit more broadly now. Twitch just needs to vet their representatives and staff, in ANY capacity, far better than they do.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
"I have power, you can't take it away from me, and honestly, there are some people who should be afraid of me." - FerociouslySteph

I don't care if you're cis, trans, human, deer, Black or White. These types of things shouldn't be coming out of your mouth as a member of a Twitch council.

There's a lot of money at play here and hopefully Twitch is asking her to be more careful.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Thats nice of you to say that. But...yeah.
Im pretty sure the main clips that got her the most flak initially were the "people disagreeing with me are white cis males" and the "a lot of you are white supremacists" ones.

The one you brought up was dug up after that. Like obviously its not cool to dig through her streams like that, but Im pretty sure the digging started because of her nonsense takes, not because of her uh...whatever shes doing there.

I don't know if it's as nonsense as you'd like to believe... Racism, sexism and Transphobia aren't exactly rare, and there was a whole movement back in the day that specifically worked (continues to work) to radicalize young cis white dudes.

They aren't the ones on the receiving ends if insults aimed squarely at their race, sex or gender while playing games online. It's easier to dismiss those attitudes and insults when it doesn't really hurt as much.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Instead of actually enforcing their ToS, it seems like Twitch came up with this council idea for pr, put one person on it who seems to not be suited to the role, and let said person implode. Later Twitch can come out and say things have changed and the council will be disbanded while making a comment about how they are going back to the drawing board and that they "hear us". Nothing will actually change though and instead of blaming Twitch, people will blame everything on that person, as if Twitch had no say in creating the council.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Excessive pedantry regarding concerns of bigotry across a series of posts; prior severe bans
I don't know if it's as nonsense as you'd like to believe... Racism, sexism and Transphobia aren't exactly rare, and there was a whole movement back in the day that specifically worked (continues to work) to radicalize young cis white dudes.

They aren't the ones on the receiving ends if insults aimed squarely at their race, sex or gender while playing games online. It's easier to dismiss those attitudes and insults when it doesn't really hurt as much.
Her point of people getting harassed online is valid, especially for women, because their gender can be tracked to their voice pretty easily and it leads to a lot of harassment in online games.

But saying voice chat should be gone entirely is a stupid take.
Saying people disagreeing with her must be white cis males, or that the people disagreeing with her have "white cis male sounding voices" is a stupid take.
Saying "a lot of you gamers are white supremacists" is just not ok. The huge majority of people watching twitch aren't whitre supremacists. And yes, pretty much everyone watching twitch is a gamer.
Banning anyone in her chat for simply disagreeing with her isn't a good thing.

She was way too quick to lump together harassers with people just not being ok with her stances.

For someone who is supposed to bring the community together and mediate between Twitch and the community, shes way too antagnoistic towards the community she's supposed to represent. She isn't supposed to just represent trans people, and as long white cis males are part of twitchs community, she has to represent them too, instead of "dancing while drinking their tears" and telling them to "be affraid of her because she has power and Twitch won't do anything against her".

Her having valid points doesn't excuse the way she behaves.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Her point of people getting harassed online is valid, especially for women, because their gender can be tracked to their voice pretty easily and it leads to a lot of harassment in online games.

Saying people disagreing with her must be white cis males, or that the people disagreeing with her have "white cis male sounding voices" is a stupid take.
Saying "a lot of you gamers white supremacists" is just not ok. The huge majority of people watching twitch aren't whitre supremacists. And yes, pretty much everyone watching twitch is a gamer.

So, "a lot" does not imply most or the majority, for starters. However, I think it's important to note that this is a reaction to a large culture that absolutely does not want people like her involved in gaming at all.

Strict bans are in place because of the stuff that's inevitably going to come from her existence. There will always be someone who just wants to "ask questions" play devil's advocates and what not.

I don't know enough about her experience to offer a full throated defence but I can see and understand where she's coming from based off of my experiences playing games online and not sounding like the stereotypical gamer. I'm not sure if banning voice chat is an actionable solution - I'm just saying that the stuff she's dealing with should be considered. Especially if it's being linked around on LSF which shares a name with a subreddit that is... Questionable at best.

wArTHEIST

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Concern trolling over concerns of bigotry

Saying people disagreeing with her must be white cis males, or that the people disagreeing with her have "white cis male sounding voices" is a stupid take.
Saying "a lot of you gamers are white supremacists" is just not ok. The huge majority of people watching twitch aren't whitre supremacists. And yes, pretty much everyone watching twitch is a gamer.

She was way too quick to lump together harassers with people just not being ok with her stances.

For someone who is supposed to bring the community together and mediate between Twitch and the community, shes way too antagnoistic towards the community she's supposed to represent. She isn't supposed to just represent trans people, and as long white cis males are part of twitchs community, she has to represent them too, instead of "dancing while drinking their tears" and telling them to "be affraid of her because she has power and Twitch won't do anything against her".

spot on.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Bingo, you summed it up better than I ever could have.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
User Banned (1 Week): Concern trolling over concerns of bigotry

This comment is perfect

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Saying "a lot of you gamers are white supremacists" is just not ok. The huge majority of people watching twitch aren't whitre supremacists.
Considering how normalized toxicity, racism, and misogyny is in twitch chat and how much crossover there is with 4chan and such. Twitch has absolutely fostered a haven for open racism. In huge streams you can't even see a black character appear without a crowd of idiots spamming racist shit. So while, they may not be outright white supremacists, a more than negligible chunk of the twitch audience is racist and misogynistic.

For someone who is supposed to bring the community together and mediate between Twitch and the community, shes way too antagnoistic towards the community she's supposed to represent.
The second this got announced she got flooded with harassment. And yes, much more of it was harassment instead of "you have some good points BUT"

rein

Apr 16, 2018
They wouldn't need an entire advisory council if they just banned the people breaking their own rules that they themselves set.

Why is Twitch such a mess?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, "a lot" does not imply most or the majority, for starters. However, I think it's important to note that this is a reaction to a large culture that absolutely does not want people like her involved in gaming at all.

Strict bans are in place because of the stuff that's inevitably going to come from her existence. There will always be someone who just wants to "ask questions" play devil's advocates and what not.

I don't know enough about her experience to offer a full throated defence but I can see and understand where she's coming from based off of my experiences playing games online and not sounding like the stereotypical gamer. I'm not sure if banning voice chat is an actionable solution - I'm just saying that the stuff she's dealing with should be considered. Especially if it's being linked around on LSF which shares a name with a subreddit that is... Questionable at best.
When you adress a community full of gamers and then say " 'a lot' of you gamers are white supremacists", that's antagonizing 'a lot' of people who arent white supremacists. This isn't some Era poster who can just go "well if you arent one, don't feel adressed". She's a representative of the enrtirety of the twitch community.

She doesn't just ban people who are just asking questions, shes banning everyone not agreeing with her. She's overreacting, and someone in her position should avoid overreacting. And she isn't just not avoiding that, she's actively antagonizing 'a lot' of the community she's supposed to represent, going on an actual power trip while doing so. She's just not fit for the poistion and thre are plenty of streamers in the trans community who would have been a way better pick.

I'm not arguing I can't see where she's coming from in regard to experiences regarding online harassment base on gender either. That, again, doesn't excuse the way she acted as a representative o fthe community of twitch.
I'm also not arguing against LSF being trash. but that's not the point here. The point is she conflates LSF with people thinking her take on voice chat is dumb, or find her weird concept of "white cis male sounding voices (honestly, what do they sound like)" pretty out there.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
When you adress a community full of gamers and then say " 'a lot' of you gamers are white supremacists", that's antagonizing 'a lot' of people who arent white supremacists. This isn't some Era poster who can just go "well if you arent one, don't feel adressed". She's a representative of the enrtirety of the twitch community.

It's sort of a fact. But alright man, go on.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering how normalized toxicity, racism, and misogyny is in twitch chat and how much crossover there is with 4chan and such. Twitch has absolutely fostered a haven for open racism. In huge streams you can't even see a black character appear without a crowd of idiots spamming racist shit. So while, they may not be outright white supremacists, a more than negligible chunk of the twitch audience is racist and misogynistic.
First of all please don't just selectively quote like this. I've been trhough this song and dance too often to not know where this is leading.
Twitch absolutely has a racism and misogyny probem, yes. I'm not saying it doesn't. But she's supposed to represent twitchs community, and considering all the things she said, especially the things you left out of your quote, she's not inclined to do that.
The second this got announced she got flooded with harassment. And yes, much more of it was harassment instead of "you have some good points BUT"
Yeah, and then when she started to make stupid statements, she lumped together people who disagree with her with the people harassing her. To her, everone saying BUT is "a white cis male with white cis male sounding voices and she heard those arguments way too often". She's not fit for the position on this counsil, that's really all there is to it. The longer this goes on, the longer she will be harassed, so I hope they find a solution soon.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is blatantly false. Watch better streams. Every huge stream I watch has very little issues with racism.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So first you say "she didn't say all" and now its a fact? ok. When you're supposed to be the representative of a group you don't go to that group and say "a lot of you are reprehensible assholes". That's not how any of this works.

Considering it seems like you didnt even bother to read more than the first two sentences, I think this "discussion" is done then. Have a nice day.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That dude literally went in his chat and called people "autistic fucks" recently (like a week ago), Twitch won't ban even the lowest viewed Partners as long as they bring in an outsized amount of cash.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
So first you say "she didn't say all" and now its a fact? ok. When you're supposed to be the representative of a group you don't go to that group and say "a lot of you are reprehensible assholes". That's not how any of this works.

Considering it seems like you didnt even bother to read more than the first two sentences, I think this "discussion" is done then. Have a nice day.

She didn't say all, and there are a lot of racists is not the contradiction you think it is.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Like, I just love the implication that twitch chat isn't full of blatant racism and sexism that goes completely unmoderated. Like, that's literally a huge part of twitch and gamer culture.

First of all please don't just selectively quote like this. I've been trhough this song and dance too often to now know where this is leading.
Twitch absolutely has a racism and misogyny probem, yes. I'm not saying it doesn't. But she's supposed to represent twitchs community, and considering all the things she said, especially the things you left out of your quote, she's not inclined to do that.
Even if she represents twitch's community that aspect of twitch's community deserves to be called out.

Yeah, and then when she started to make stupid statements, she lumped together people who disagree with her with the people harassing her.
From the perspective of a person who the LSF subreddit borderline dedicated themselves to, as they would ANY person who is trans, PoC, or a woman. It makes sense to me to not attempt to wade through a pile of shit for the few people saying "you have good points BUT" and yes assuming that everyone in twitch chat is a white cis male is an overgeneralization BUT she's not wrong about calling a good chunk of them assholes. Because there are. And let's be honest, the majority of people who head to her chat atm most likely aren't there for an "honest debate"

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
If you follow someone around long enough looking for bad stuff that they've done, you're going to find something. She's only getting this scrutiny because she's trans and a furry.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

I can understand hers and anybody's frustrations with voice chat 100% But obviously the solution isn't to remove voice chat (though I don't think she's really lobbying for that either, even if she did it has 0% chance of happening). We don't remove stairs just because everyone can't take advantage of them, we offer alternatives. Voice commands, pings etc. aren't of course as good but often still useful. That's how I communicate with randoms (and some text) even as a cis white male.

Calling people disagreeing with her as white cis males, is dismissive and disrespectful especially to those who aren't all of those things. But still I'd imagine that most of them are, just by virtue being the biggest demographic in Twitch and lacking the personal experience to relate to these problems different minorities face.

A lot of gamers are white supremacists or other bigots and a lot of gamers are edgelords condoning and even participating in that kind of behaviour. That shit is unmissable if you participate at all in online gaming culture in some form. It's a huge problem and game companies or streaming platforms like Twitch should have much harder and vocal stance against it. Emphasis on actions, not just neat list of rules or mission statements stapled to a wall without anyone enforcing them. A lot of gamers are also exceptional and good people, I wish in future this is something we keep seeing more of and give spotlight to. Charities, inclusive communities, people helping each other out and cooperating etc. I'd rather attract more decent people into gaming than just scare them away with GG types (as they're not the majority of gamers). Maybe this council can help to direct Twitch in that direction more, hopefully atleast. But I think I agree that she probably should tone down her inflammatory antics a bit in her current position. Absolutely call out every harasser and white supremacist even directly, that's always fine in any position. Just don't adress the largest demographic on the platform as some villainous hivemind. White cis males are surprisingly diverse group too.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
She's only getting this scrutiny because she's trans and a furry.

Like, people are ignoring that literally any trans member of twitch would receive the same harassment if it was announced that they were in this position. And if say, this person were replaced we'd see "well it sucks that they're getting harassed BUT at least she didn't call anyone in the audience an asshole like the last person."

Again, as a representative of a community you don't antagonize 'a lot' of said community. That's not how being a representative of a community works.
Maybe we should point our attention to the "a lot of members of the community are racist and sexist" problem instead of tone policing the people who call it out mid harassment campaign.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Again, as a representative of a community you don't antagonize 'a lot' of said community. That's not how being a representative of a community works.

I don't really care about bigots, and they really should go somewhere else. If you'd like to coddle them go on ahead. Judging by the state of twitch and the gaming community as a whole plenty of people already do.