• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why is a "safety council" even needed? Just enforce your existing rules consistently and fairly across your platform.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Commentary
Can't take this seriously with the deer woman on there.

Even if the Council was good I doubt they cod change anything.

Big streamers like the Doc will never get punished

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A little late to the fucking party on this one. Don't do it if your rules aren't going to apply to everyone.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A white cis male can be gay or straight. Perception of race based on voice doesn't have to be accurate for people to target harassment at people they perceive to not be white. Toxic people on the internet will harass you based on how you differ from their presumed default. It doesn't matter if it's founded in universal truth. If they think you sound feminine or sound like you aren't a white dude in any way you are more likely to be harassed. I believe her point is that people that are less likely to experience the harassment are the ones most strongly opposed to her because they're arguing from a position of privilege which blinds them to the experiences of others.
Perception of race based on voice is a stupid concept in and of itself, no matter if it "doesnt need to be accurate". And borderline racist btw.

You can just say "I think people who are harassing me are white cis males" instead of saying stupid stuff like that.

Yeah, her argument can be boiled down to "people who disagree with me are too privileged to get where im coming from."
Which isnt good grounds for any meaningful discussion.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
I don't know what twitch's rules are anymore. Last time I got on there I went to the dnd section and someone was giving oral to a bad dragon dildo and getting hella bits. Like cool if it's alright according to the rules but like what they hell? Pro sex of course but y'all got yourselves in a pickle, twitch.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Perception of race based on voice is a stupid concept in and of itself, no matter if it "doesnt need to be accurate". And borderline racist btw.
What part of my argument are you arguing against here? Or are you just agreeing with me that people who harass people on voice chat are likely also racist?
You can just say "I think people who are harassing me are white cis males" instead of saying stupid stuff like that.
I think being specific about how people's voices are perceived in a discussion about voice chat is pretty appropriate actually. It's a pretty big factor in how they will experience voice chat.
Yeah, her argument can be boiled down to "people who disagree with me are too privileged to get where im coming from."
Which isnt good grounds for any meaningful discussion.
Sorry, my understanding of the point wasn't accurate, but I've gone and listened again. She says that the people coming in saying "just mute", "it's not an issue", "everyone faces harassment" are repeating things she has been hearing for at least a year. She is responding to people dismissing her concerns because they don't have the same experience. The meaningful discussion to be had is for people that don't have that experience to listen to what she is saying, which obviously isn't happening because they're suggesting solutions that she has already addressed as not being satisfactory. Having to retread the same points over and over isn't good grounds for any meaningful discussion.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I have confidence in this group, I hope they are listened to or get enough mandate to form things, if so this is a very good thing.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'll trust this group once I actually see results.

Until then, all I've seen from Twitch has been a gross inconsistency with its rule enforcement for literally years. And that swings both ways with some users getting too harsh of a punishment while others get no punishment for obvious rule breaking actions repeatedly.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Twitch's rules keep getting worse. Eventually, streamers are going to become bots with no personality and chat will just be emote spam. It's already happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Highlights from past 12 months that come to mind are
  • Streaming from public bathroom
  • Spreading conspiracy theories and unproven medical advice about COVID-19
So how does that translate into Twitch should perma-ban him? It's not lets say racist dog whistles and i'm "just asking questions"/pedelling race science stefan molyneux level. He and anyone should deffently get a ban for the second thing but again how does that equal=perma ban. I only know of him from playing warzone and him cheating on his wife.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So basically all this will result in is the council members being harassed online?

You assume they aren't already being harassed, they are very visible in online environment because of their profession.

So how does that translate into Twitch should perma-ban him? It's not lets say racist dog whistles and i'm "just asking questions"/pedelling race science stefan molyneux level. He and anyone should deffently get a ban for the second thing but again how does that equal=perma ban. I only know of him from playing warzone and him cheating on his wife.

I don't follow doc that much because he is just kinda streamer that I can't tolerate, his streaming persona is super off putting to me, so I don't know every fuck up he has done. Those two blew up a lot, but I know there has been other shit too in past with him.

Should he be perma'd? I couldn't say.

I do know that because of money he is making to Twitch they as organization are willing to look other way when it comes to his behavior and content. Hell, they basically rewarded him with what can be assumed to be millions of USD as he signed new exclusivity contract with Twitch.

It's one of biggest things on Twitch that this council hopefully, but unlikely can address. Extremely uneven enforcement of platform rules. Comes down to how much money you print for the Twitch or who you happen to know.

Last edited:

Beef

Oct 27, 2017
TX
I don't know what twitch's rules are anymore. Last time I got on there I went to the dnd section and someone was giving oral to a bad dragon dildo and getting hella bits. Like cool if it's alright according to the rules but like what they hell? Pro sex of course but y'all got yourselves in a pickle, twitch.

JustChatting at night is an entirely different beast, it's super fucking awkward.

As far as the council thing goes, I have absolutely zero confidence it'll do anything meaningful. Twitch can't even enforce their rules from the get go, what do they really think this council will provide them with? Just a pr move imo

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
The only one I personally trust to actually do what is good for the community is Coh, he already mentioned what it is he wants to do and its essentially make it extremely clear what the rules are, have them be used in the same capacity with everyone and continue to support the variety of content on the platform by not having excessive rules be placed just to be placed.

The council thing has gotten of to an incredible start ill say that lmao

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What part of my argument are you arguing against here? Or are you just agreeing with me that people who harass people on voice chat are likely also racist?

I think being specific about how people's voices are perceived in a discussion about voice chat is pretty appropriate actually. It's a pretty big factor in how they will experience voice chat.

Sorry, my understanding of the point wasn't accurate, but I've gone and listened again. She says that the people coming in saying "just mute", "it's not an issue", "everyone faces harassment" are repeating things she has been hearing for at least a year. She is responding to people dismissing her concerns because they don't have the same experience. The meaningful discussion to be had is for people that don't have that experience to listen to what she is saying, which obviously isn't happening because they're suggesting solutions that she has already addressed as not being satisfactory. Having to retread the same points over and over isn't good grounds for any meaningful discussion.
I agree that women have it the worst, as soon a woman speaks up, there's a high chance some 14 year old or incel is going apeshit. You can't hear if someone is white by their voice though, and no, I wouldn't agree that toxic assholes or people being misogynists are also likely racist. Not that there's much worth discerning between the two.

She is responding to people disagreeing with her. Just because their opinions arent satisfactory to her doesn't mean they aren't valid opinions to be had. When did she adress them? She only said she heard them in the past and therefore wont adress them.

This isn't some random streamer making some comments, she's supposed to mediate between Twitch and the community and the people streaming on the platform, too. She's doing the complete opposite of that, banning anyone form her chat that even just disagrees with her, doing dances while "drinking their tears".

Actually, this guy has a fairly concise and reasonable take on this, I suggest checking it out, timestamped when he starts talking about the actual issue. (if you don't mind some weird quips)

Last edited:

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Existing for us is considered "political" so these garbage humans see a trans person appointed somewhere as a political act whole appointing only cishet dudes is apolitical.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
What part of that conversation had anything to do with anger?

Ok, why would this make them untrustworthy? Would a furry be untrustworthy in this position? I don't understand the position.

This is about online safety right? The way people are reacting, it makes sense why they'd go with someone who probably deals with harassment at a higher rate than normal.

Lol can you fucking imagine? You're so inept at enforcing the basic rules you set for your service that there is now a council to enforce and create new rules which in turn will still not be enforced due to streamer privilege.

Shit is still going to boil down to "Cleavage is bad, don't be mean unless you're a popular streamer...carry on."

User safety isn't rocket science; yet here we are with 12 people trying to screw in a single lightbulb.

This is facts though, Twitch isn't going to properly execute going by previous examples.

Last edited:

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Lol can you fucking imagine? You're so inept at enforcing the basic rules you set for your service that there is now a council to enforce and create new rules which in turn will still not be enforced due to streamer privilege.

Shit is still going to boil down to "Cleavage is bad, don't be mean unless you're a popular streamer...carry on."

User safety isn't rocket science; yet here we are with 12 people trying to screw in a single lightbulb for lip service.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Concern trolling on a sensitive topic
This is about online safety right? The way people are reacting, it makes sense why they'd go with someone who probably deals with harassment at a higher rate than normal.

And yet they chose a person who dances on people's tears and believes literally everyone who is anti-her is a white male.

She has single-handedly killed whatever small chance this initiative had at succeeding.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The council seems like a good idea and for the most part the members of the council seem level headed and suitable for the job.

The controversy around it right now is with FuriouslySteph and how she's representing herself, her ideas, the other council members *and* Twitch.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
He literally says that in the first two sentences you didn't quote

Here is start of his post I didn't quote.

"Lol can you fucking imagine? You're so inept at enforcing the basic rules you set for your service that there is now a council to enforce and create new rules which in turn will still not be enforced due to streamer privilege."

Am I tripping, but nowhere in that he states if he does or doesn't watch Twitch?

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Here is start of his post I didn't quote.

"Lol can you fucking imagine? You're so inept at enforcing the basic rules you set for your service that there is now a council to enforce and create new rules which in turn will still not be enforced due to streamer privilege."

Am I tripping, but nowhere in that he states if he does or doesn't watch Twitch?

I might be misreading you, but I think you agree with each other in that Twitch doesn't properly enforce the rules especially when big streamers are involved.

And yet they chose a person who dances on people's tears and believes literally everyone who is anti-her is a white male.

She has single-handedly killed whatever small chance this initiative had at succeeding.

I'm black, so although I don't agree with her stance there I can see why someone being harassed would lash out like that.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, why would this make them untrustworthy? Would a furry be untrustworthy in this position? I don't understand the position.

Why wouldn't it? I don't think anyone who thinks like that has enough of a grasp on reality to be able to be in any position on influence. As for furrys, I dunno, they are weird tho.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Using dismissive rhetoric around representation
Oh my God. I was skeptical about that pick when I heard the story about voice chat. Didn't know they identified as a deer too. What a joke.

There's no way Twitch didn't pick her for the sheer controversy of it.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I am seeing nothing but toxicity and transphobia on twitter directed at a woman who is a lot like me for the crime of being transgender and a streamer. I love video games but fuck "gamers."

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Representation
Yeah that Steph streamer shouldnt be serving on the council. You cant have someone who is hating and shutting down people due to who/what they are. How can you expect her to bring up issues you raised to her if you happen to be a white straight dude there is a high chance based on what she has been saying that things wouldnt be done right.

Seems she wont be there much longer based on what Cohh is saying anyway cant wait for her to blame every other facit of this all and take 0 blame for it.

Holy shit at the clips of her "power tripping" then backtracking lmao. This person is not ok.

Last edited:

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
What has doc done to be put on on the shit list?
I didn't really have an opinion on him until recent clips show him playing conspiracy clips talking about how Covid is overblown and/or caused by 5G and that 5G is basically Satan incarnate. So he's an incredibly dangerous stupid ass. He has like 30k steady viewers and is using that platform to spew horse shit.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I am seeing nothing but toxicity and transphobia on twitter directed at a woman who is a lot like me for the crime of being transgender and a streamer. I love video games but fuck "gamers."
The transphobia is disgusting and she doesn't deserve that.

Although I think she should be kicked off the council for other reasons

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Off-Topic Thread Derailment
This is getting ugly ... I'm curious how twitch is going to deal with this this week.

EYPCcaqX0AIltW_

EYNU_ODUYAEo4mF

EYPCcZYXsAAbNax

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Ironic how much 'drama' has come out of the establishment of this council.

Nov 14, 2017
This is getting ugly ... I'm curious how twitch is going to deal with this this week.

EYPCcaqX0AIltW_

EYNU_ODUYAEo4mF

EYPCcZYXsAAbNax
That's pretty much the reason why she's a bad choice. This really is on Twitch for not having a good idea about who she is before putting her in this position. Even in the clips going round LSF she seems to going out of her way to constantly escalate the situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like picking a Twitch Ambassador who has their Twitter locked.

That's real transparency.

Never heard of her (and I've watched Twitch from day one), which in itself is a worry.