• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my technical ignorance but like.. couldn't twitch set up some sort of speech recognition software to listen to streams and flag for certain words? I also tried to make my brain hear "in a grocery" but I just can't. Unless she's got some super weird way of saying grocery. That is a hard R n word.

It wouldn't automatically ban, but at least flag them for later review? Cause come ON.

first a ton of black streamers would get banned since they use the word quite a bit in adult streams. second the technical infrastructure doesn't really exist to monitor in real time hundreds of thousands of streams all at once. Maybe in a few years, but you'd get so many false alerts - even 99% accuracy would generate THOUSANDS of flags every second - that the system would be practically useless.

Its essentially the reason why none of the gaming services really do anything about voice chat, because really they can't. For now. Obviously everyone has phones and alexa and stuff that is much better at VR now than just 5 years ago, but we're probably still a decade away from mass realtime video and audio surveillance at that level.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a wild ride. First time I played the clip I heard the N-word, on subsequent listens I heard "in a grocery store". The latter is what makes sense in context so that's probably what it is. Reminds me of the whole Persona 5 Smash Song debacle.

I'm more confused about how some people think Twitch streamers don't go to grocery stores.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First couple listens, I heard the N-word. Now with the slowed down versions, I hear a very slurred grocery store. Not surprised to learn she has a speech impediment. IMO, this is one unfortunate coincidence.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I know. It's pretty fucked up, right? I don't blame the people who are so certain that it's her saying a slur for feeling... less than charitable towards the people who say otherwise.
It's basically our brains no matter what mashing a word that isn't said there. If you start the clip from the beginning it sounds like the N word, if you start it right where she says "I guess..." (at 5 seconds) it sounds like she says grocery store. Even at full speed too, I played it at all speeds and she never said it.

She mashed the word "inagrocery" and it sounds pretty bad if you say it too quickly. It's pretty obvious just putting the words together why it sounds like the nword.

XQC also talks I'd say maybe 2 times faster then she does but he's a lot easier to understand because somehow he doesn't mash any words together. Her speech impediment really fucked with how she said it in this clip.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean she clearly did but obviously people like you will literally stand up for anyone so keep believing that and supporting horrible people.

what you're doing is making a statement as though fact rather than opinion, and further pigeonholing Kitten Mittens not only as being factually wrong but also supporting racism?

so it's possible for other posters to hear the wrong thing but not possible for you to have heard the wrong thing?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't she married to an asian fellow?
That's not really an argument one way or another though, is it. Married to a racial minority doesn't actually preclude one from being a racist. It's just like the super committed version of having a black friend. Hell, misogynists have a long tradition of marrying women.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
That's not really an argument one way or another though, is it. Married to a racial minority doesn't actually preclude one from being a racist. It's just like the super committed version of having a black friend. Hell, misogynists have a long tradition of marrying women.
Didn't Jesse Helms have a black mistress and a black daughter? Still one of the biggest pile of shit racists in American history.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
The hard r is the Grr in grocery. It's not bigger... it almost comes out as grrsherstore not gro-siri-store like a lot of people would think you'd here it.

Also, Maruchan is a brand of ramen.

Also, she says Ramune weird... I never heard it as Rah-moo-nade... it's just rah-moon.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This turned out to be one spicy thread.
If you don't hear the n-word, you're a racist.

If you hear the n-word, you're a misogynist.

zvwHL61.gif

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Well I definitely hear it, but it makes zero sense to say that in that sentence structurally and contextually. How does anyone argue that this sentence makes any sense?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
this is still going, eh?

Probably just me but, regardless of what you hear, either word/s works in context. I can almost somewhat hear "in the" but the double hard G plus hard R completely overrules all the "grocery" variants. I'm not good at talking and I mumble and fuck up my words hardcore often and I cannot, in any situation, see the words "grocery" or "grocer" come out like that because the double hard G sound simply does not exist in either variant.

like, I could see an argument for her actually saying "bigger" instead of the other word but "grocery/grocer" simply doesn't work imo

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I definitely hear it, but it makes zero sense to say that in that sentence structurally and contextually. How does anyone argue that this sentence makes any sense?
As to how it makes sense structurally, people have said they hear "in the" before the slur, people have said she's speaking casually and the fact that she isn't using grammatically correct sentences doesn't really matter, people have said that you can't rationalize racism. Some posters have come up with somewhat contrived stories about what sort of person she probably is and what she does based upon this short clip.

Contextually, the most common line of thinking is that a racist will call any store that sells non-american products an n-word store.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
As to how it makes sense structurally, people have said they hear "in the" before the slur, people have said she's speaking casually and the fact that she isn't using grammatically correct sentences doesn't really matter, people have said that you can't rationalize racism. Some posters have come up with somewhat contrived stories about what sort of person she probably is and what she does based upon this short clip.

Contextually, the most common line of thinking is that a racist will call any store that sells non-american products an n-word store.
Sure, but that person won't then refer to an aisle in the ethnic store as the ethnic aisle. Makes zero sense, and if we're all just guessing, I'm going with the obvious, not concocting a scenario that might possibly maybe exist.

With how long this thread is not one single person who swears she's saying the N store has made a case for how it works contextually, grammatically and logically. Whereas people who hear grocery store have.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yo this sucks, I hear green needle or brain needle. Are my ears broken?
You can pretty much hear any combo of those words if you think of them while you hear the clip. It's why even though I heard her say the n-word, I'm sure she didn't because she mumbled like a mofo and it makes no sense contextually or even with the basic sentence structure.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but that person won't then refer to an aisle in the ethnic store as the ethnic aisle. Makes zero sense, and if we're all just guessing, I'm going with the obvious, not concocting a scenario that might possibly maybe exist.
The people who really think she said it and said it deliberately though don't think they're guessing about that part though, and explanations about how that adds up are really very secondary to the fact that they think she said it at all, because again, "you can't rationalize racism." There's no getting past that argument.
This thread almost has as many posts as the Yanny vs. Laurel thread now (1,302)
That felt more fun and less stupid than this.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I guess they have that n-- store too now, with ramune on some ethnic aisle.

You had to insert a non-existent "with" in order for this sentence to make sense.

"I guess they have that in the grocery store too now, Ramune, on some ethnic aisle.

I mean she clearly did but obviously people like you will literally stand up for anyone so keep believing that and supporting horrible people.

People stand up to facts, I don't give a shit about this girl. Lots of people can hear in the grocery store, doesn't make everyone a racist.

Back when the laurel/yanni thing happened I couldn't hear yanni no matter how many times I tried. The two words aren't even remotely similar but some heard one and some heard another. Some people could hear both. I guess the yanni people were all racists. Or the laurel people.

what does this say 100%? i'd love to finally get the definitive answer

See this is fucked lol. I couldn't hear anything but "green needle" and I'm thinking "how is anyone hearing brainstorm?" until they put up the word brainstorm and then I heard it. Then I could go back and forth no matter what word was displayed.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
You can pretty much hear any combo of those words if you think of them while you hear the clip. It's why even though I heard her say the n-word, I'm sure she didn't because she mumbled like a mofo and it makes no sense contextually or even with the basic sentence structure.
All I can hear is green storm or brain storm. I cannot for the life of me make out needle.
Straight can't hear any thing like an s sound.

Is this the part where we discover hearing is like taste where some people get 2 different effects? Like cilantro tasting soapy.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Listened to it 5 times in a row..she clearly says 'nigger' with that hard R..I don't know how anyone hears different.

What a piece of shit I hope she at least loses a ton of followers cause we all know Twitch ain't gonna do anything.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Listened to it 5 times in a row..she clearly says 'nigger' with that hard R..I don't know how anyone hears different.

What a piece of shit I hope she at least loses a ton of followers cause we all know Twitch ain't gonna do anything.
Finally. After 25+ pages, we have definitive proof here.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I'm all for putting people on full blast, especially with racist shit, in this case though she is slurring due to her speech impediment and is saying "inthegrcstore" basically. I can definitely hear nigger store though.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people disagree.
I dunno man, I heard the hard R at first after reading the OP and watching the vid multiple times.

I STILL hear the hard R when watching it.

But after reading some of the explanations they honestly make more sense than her saying the hard R. Like they just make a lot more logical sense whereas the N word makes absolutely NO SENSE in context there. It's to the point where I think everyone commenting that its absolutely the N word either didn't read those explanations, or just want to jump on the outrage bus.

At the very very very very least I think its inconclusive enough not to try to ruin this girls life over it. Has she even responded at this yet?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I dunno man, I heard the hard R at first after reading the OP and watching the vid multiple times.

I STILL hear the hard R when watching it.

But after reading some of the explanations they honestly make more sense than her saying the hard R. Like they just make a lot more logical sense whereas the N word makes absolutely NO SENSE in context there. It's to the point where I think everyone commenting that its absolutely the N word either didn't read those explanations, or just want to jump on the outrage bus.

At the very very very very least I think its inconclusive enough not to try to ruin this girls life over it. Has she even responded at this yet?
She apologized for it sounding racial, said she doesn't hold those beliefs, and clarified she was saying in grocery stores

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This thread is still going on , holy shit. What a colossal waste of time, some of y'all are really gonna die on this hill.

Brainstorm/Green Needle should be required listening for anyone who "can't understand" how anyone else could possibly hear anything other than the slur.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not really an argument, just trying to understand the hole situation. She fucked up, controversy seems to follow her it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.