• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Ok. I went back. Reviewed again, 10 times. What she said in that moment (first clip in the OP) was "...pocky...on the ethnic aisle...I guess they have that n-word store too now...ramune uh...in some ethnic aisle..."

Clear as a bell each time. There's no "b" sound. There's no "grocery". There's no leaving out an "er" sound before "store".
Problem is your sentence makes zero sense grammatically or contextually. The other one does.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She's saying "in the grocery store too, now" super fast. It's easy to hear the n word, but that's not what she's saying.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The fucking mental gymnastics people will go through to explain how they didn't hear a motherfucker shouting "NIGGER" clear as fucking day.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I haven't heard someone say grocery like that where they clearly enunciate 'GRR' and then make complete mush out of the rest of it, it's a different mouth shape than how it's normally pronounced. I feel crazy because I can only hear a slur, I can't think my way into hearing grocery. I had the opposite reaction to the TF-Blade thing.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I went back. Reviewed again, 10 times. What she said in that moment (first clip in the OP) was "...pocky...on the ethnic aisle...I guess they have that n-word store too now...ramune uh...in some ethnic aisle..."

Clear as a bell each time. There's no "b" sound. There's no "grocery". There's no leaving out an "er" sound before "store".
Yeah, definitely no "b" sound. I have no idea how people are hearing "bigger." But the other two primary interpretations I can hear quite clearly.

What you're hearing as n****r is in[na gr]osstore. She's just slurring her words.
This is how I hear it, too.

It's genuinely not "mental gymnastics." This is what my ears and brain detected the first time I listened. If I could only hear the n-word version, l'm sure I would feel angry and gaslit, too.

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I just realized. She probably hasn't stepped into a grocery store in a long time. As a successful twitch streamer she probably has all her food/meals delivered. I wouldn't be surprised if she developed the racist pet name for grocery stores because of this.

Speculation of course, but it's not uncommon for racists to come up with derogatory terms for places they view as beneath them.

lmao what is wrong with you

You guys who can't hear the in the grocery store should go have your ears checked. I'm pretty serious about this. If you can't hear it correctly in the slowed down version right above me here, then I don't know what to tell ya.

...but to those making accusations and being hostile.. come on.. be better than that.

I'm gonna be honest, it wasn't until I listened with a good pair of headphones that I was 100% sure she says grocery store... very sloppily. but it's not the n-word. I think it's probably less to do with hearing than it is actual speaker quality people are listening with

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
no matter what side of the issue you fall on this, atleast we can all agree she slurred right?

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
no matter what side of the issue you fall on this, atleast we can all agree she slurred right?
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is your sentence makes zero sense grammatically or contextually. The other one does.

It's not my sentence, it's hers. I have no reason to make my own sentence, and she was casually talking to her chat, so there's no reason for her to be grammatically correct. She doesn't say enough syllables for it to be "in the grocery", either.

Contextually, she let her inner monologue slip out, and then explained exactly what she meant by "ethnic" - about what is and isn't "white people food" (again, her words, not mine) and where it may be sold. The context only confirms it.

But that's all I have on this. I have no interest in this being downplayed (this isn't merely someone being "dumb") or feeling gaslit (my speakers are bad now???) any longer.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The fucking mental gymnastics people will go through to explain how they didn't hear a motherfucker shouting "NIGGER" clear as fucking day.

Or people are just hearing the sounds her mouth is making differently. It's not mental gymnastics.

Some people swear Jimi Hendrix says "excuse me while I kiss this guy" in Purple Haze but he's saying "excuse me while I kiss the sky". The 2 phrases just sound similar. Britney Spears uses this in the song If U Seek Amy, which is meant to sound like F U C K Me. Words can sound like different words.

What myself and others are saying is that if you listen to the whole conversation it makes sense. She talks about going to Chinatown to get Ramuen and Pocky and then says "but I guess they have that in the grocery store too now". It's not mental gymnastics if you follow the conversation.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I was fully in here calling bullshit on the people who were saying she said grocery store (grs str). It was frustrating the fuck out of me that people were saying she wasn't saying the N word. Now that I can totally hear it as "they have that'n a grs str too now" I am convinced that is what she is saying. It also makes perfect sense contextually. The way she mumbles she is somehow saying the N word without actually saying the N word. Thats some shitty luck right there.

That said, the gym video, to me, is more evidence than this that she is indeed a privileged and fragile racist. Just not overt enough to casually drop an N bomb like that. Maybe she is, but I do not believe she did it here. Its actually super frustrating reading this thread after I changed my stance on what she said.

I'm not trying to "defend" her either. That gym video boils my fuckin blood. But this aint it. I'd rather talk about that video at this point.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It's not my sentence, it's hers. I have no reason to make my own sentence, and she was casually talking to her chat, so there's no reason for her to be grammatically correct. She doesn't say enough syllables for it to be "in the grocery", either.

Contextually, she let her inner monologue slip out, and then explained exactly what she meant by "ethnic" - about what is and isn't "white people food" (again, her words, not mine) and where it may be sold. The context only confirms it.

But that's all I have on this. I have no interest in this being downplayed (this isn't merely someone being "dumb") or feeling gaslit (my speakers are bad now???) any longer.
That's the difference between my take and yours. Mine doesn't require me to assume motivations or ascribe her evil or angelic intentions. My take uses nothing but the context of her actual conversation.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

So do you believe everyone that's come in here hearing it as "n-word store" who then later after repeated listening, sometimes at different speeds, finally hears it as "inna grossstore" are all part of some prank or are trying to gaslight everyone?

Those that are sticking to her saying n-word store are having to create narratives about her being drunk, her having a pet name for a store she dislikes, or her inner monologue leaking out. "In a grocery store" requires none of that because it logically follows the conversation being had.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
THIS is what was bothering people about her use of "ethnic". "Ethnic" does not mean "not from America".
The dominant grocery store in Texas that she probably shops in, H-E-B, typically has an aisle where the sign above it literally says "Ethnic Foods", and it contains primarily things not from America. That may not be what the word itself means, but that is what that aisle in the grocery store is.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That said, the gym video, to me, is more evidence than this that she is indeed a privileged and fragile racist. Just not overt enough to casually drop an N bomb like that. Maybe she is, but I do not believe she did it here. Its actually super frustrating reading this thread after I changed my stance on what she said.

I'm not trying to "defend" her either. That gym video boils my fuckin blood. But this aint it. I'd rather talk about that video at this point.
I just watched the gym video and I don't see how it shows that she is racist. Privileged, yes. Full of herself, sure. Racist, nope.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I just watched the gym video and I don't see how it shows that she is racist. Privileged, yes. Full of herself, sure. Racist, nope.
Shes getting angry that she got kicked out by someone who isnt white. Then she said something like "if I was a Saudi prince or something they wouldn't kick me out. Its cuz im white!"
Maybe thats just some crazy fragility sure but it comes off as pretty racist to me. The only reason she brought up race is because she was dealing with non white people. Like she mad a brown person kicked her out.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
One thing I just realized. She probably hasn't stepped into a grocery store in a long time. As a successful twitch streamer she probably has all her food/meals delivered. I wouldn't be surprised if she developed the racist pet name for grocery stores because of this.

Speculation of course, but it's not uncommon for racists to come up with derogatory terms for places they view as beneath them.

Oh my god.

This post is amazing.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I can only hear "n***** store" no matter how hard I try to hear anything else.

I took it as her referring to a specific store, local to her, that is either operated or frequented by people who are not white. Ya know, "ethnic". "Not American".

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Shes getting angry that she got kicked out by someone who isnt white. Then she said something like "if I was a Saudi prince or something they wouldn't kick me out. Its cuz im white!"
Maybe thats just some crazy fragility sure but it comes off as pretty racist to me. The only reason she brought up race is because she was dealing with non white people. Like she mad a brown person kicked her out.
Maybe I'm wrong but that doesn't seem racist to me. She wasn't saying anything against a specific race.

If a black man got kicked out for doing the same thing and said "they are only kicking me out because I'm black", it doesn't make him racist.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018

I took it as her referring to a specific store, local to her, that is either operated or frequented by people who are not white. Ya know, "ethnic". "Not American".
If that's the case and she commonly refers to international markets as N stores why would she then immediately after say Ramune is on the ethnic aisle. Would that not be insanely redundant?

Oct 25, 2017

I mean

What?

Oct 27, 2017
So do you believe everyone that's come in here hearing it as "n-word store" who then later after repeated listening, sometimes at different speeds, finally hears it as "inna grossstore" are all part of some prank or are trying to gaslight everyone?

Those that are sticking to her saying n-word store are having to create narratives about her being drunk, her having a pet name for a store she dislikes, or her inner monologue leaking out. "In a grocery store" requires none of that because it logically follows the conversation being had.

No. I said I'm FEELING gaslit. I didn't say that was people's motive, nor did I make assumptions about other members. One member was curious about what people heard and if they reviewed or transcribed what was said. So I obliged.

Plus, there's no narrative. I never said anything like "angelic" or "evil". The context of "what is ethnic" and using the phrase "white people food" (which is not what ethnic means, even in the supermarket) is certainly enough to raise eyebrows.

I had an acquaintance in college always refer to Chinese food as g--- food, without hesitation or reflection. People say these types of things, even if they may somehow be unaware of the malice. So this is not out of nowhere, or a narrative I have to craft. I've been quite straightforward where I see this, and even where I see it occurring in American society today.

But now I'm reading assumptions made about me and what I believe. This conversation requires none of that, as this thread is not about me. And if you think you are correct about what you hear, then certainly none of your reasoning requires any assumptions about me.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Maybe I'm wrong but that doesn't seem racist to me. She wasn't saying anything against a specific race.

If a black man got kicked out for doing the same thing and said "they are only kicking me out because I'm black", it doesn't make him racist.
Fair enough. I just cant help but side eye an entitled white girl screaming racism because shes dealing with someone who isn't white.. In a gym full of other white people.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Some grocery stores around here literally label this type of aisle the "ethnic aisle" or "international aisle".

And those aisles at my local grocer do have pocky and ramune soda.

Occam's razor suggests that she was saying "in a grocery store" in a mumbled way since that actually makes complete sense

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

And they have an "ethnic aisle" at this store. That doesn't make much sense.

EDIT: Just to be clear, if what you're saying is right then what she said would be "I guess they have that n***r store too now, Ramune, on some ethnic aisle". That sentence doesn't make sense. "I guess they have that in the grocery store too now, Ramune, on some ethnic aisle" makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
First time I listened expecting to hear an N bomb and that's what I heard.

Second time I listened for "grocery store" and that's what I heard.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Can't hear anything but the n-word no matter how hard we try. The slurring argument some bring up doesn't seem to make sense either when we try to speak it out aloud.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Had something interesting happen with this today. Played it to people without the suggestion of the n-word or grocery. Everyone just heard her mush mouth and not say any real word.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's regional or I hang out w/ too many white girls but I can easily hear grocery store.... if I try.

I can totally see someone saying "n** store" but it doesn't make sense in context because she would be saying "I guess they have that n** store". You lose "in the" so now she is talking about the store's existence and not what it is inside of it. It would be a complete non-sequitur

I mean, replace the slur and tell me it makes sense.. "We can get some pocky.... from the ethnic aisle. I guess they have that walmart too now... ramune. In some ethnic aisle"

I can definitely hear it though, so I get where people are coming from. I'm also aware that her response has been all over the place

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
You guys who can't hear the in the grocery store should go have your ears checked. I'm pretty serious about this. If you can't hear it correctly in the slowed down version right above me here, then I don't know what to tell ya.

...but to those making accusations and being hostile.. come on.. be better than that.
The slow mo actually makes it clear to me it's Grocery Store. I'm no mouth reader but the video helps as much as the audio.
🤷🏻‍♂️

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fortunately, most people in here are being fairly reasonable, but no, just no. Stop with this shit. This isn't about some people wanting to defend her because they themselves are crypto-racists or whatever. You might have more of a case on other communities (e.g. the old place, Reddit, 4chan, Twitter...), but ERA (and, I assume the majority of people participating in this thread)? Nah. This site is still way more progressive on average that some people give it credit for. Anyway, some people, myself included, genuinely think she said a(n admittedly slurred) "in a grocery store", but it's so heavily slurred that the "y" is essentially inaudible. Are we absolutely certain she didn't say the n-word? No. Are we even making a claim that she's not a racist? Hell no. Given that she's a white Twitch streamer and some of the shit she's said in the past, I'd honestly be more surprised if she didn't turn out to be a racist. But even in that case, it doesn't mean that, in this particular instance, she said the n-word.

People slur their speech all the time, especially when they speak casually for a long period of time. If you happen to speak several languages with different levels of proficiency (don't know if you do, just saying because it's my case), you should be hyper-aware of that fact. So, in this case, I go with what logically makes the most sense in context. She's talking about some well-known Japanese products and wagering you can find them in pretty much any store, even a grocery store if they have an 'ethnic aisle' (which, I agree with others, is a questionable way of calling it, but hey, some stores still call it that, even in other countries, so, yeah).

Again, it might turn out that she did intend to say the n-word - I doubt we'll ever know for sure. But don't act like anyone who disputes this notion, on ERA of all places, has some ulterior racist motive. Fuck that. It's insulting.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
User Warned: Hostility, Off-topic thread derail

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thead has become the yanni/laurel thread, except the yanni side is calling everyone racist.

If you hear Laurel you're racist and should be banned and are ensuring Trump wins 2020, even.

The real "mental gymnastics" here is the bias created by the tweet in the OP telling you what to hear before you've even listened to it

Yeah, once you're told hey, listen to this witch say n*****, your brain is going to have a hard time.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The real "mental gymnastics" here is the bias created by the tweet in the OP telling you what to hear before you've even listened to it
I didn't know what it said before I listened. I did know it was bad though due to the thread title so I was primed in that sense. Showed it to my wife and asked her only "What do you hear" and she heard it.

Jan 2, 2018
I definitely hear the N-Store every time its played. There's either two possibilities:
  • She did say the N-word as a freudian slip
  • She did not say the N-word, but it certainly sounds like it due to the mumbled / slurred nature of her words
In either case the word can be heard. I think the key difference here is she's denying she said it and has apologized for how it sounds. That is in stark contrast to someone like Pewdiepie who consciously did say it and had to apologize. What more needs to be argued about?

For clarification, I'm not a fan or defending her. Just laying out the facts as they appear.

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to it yesterday on Apple headphones and I couldn't hear anything other than the n-word, but when I listen now at my desk with on-ear headphones it sounds much more ambiguous.

There's a video demonstrating how a frequency filter (or something like that) could change the way people perceived Yanny/Laurel. I wonder if the same would work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.