• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
pdTl9NI.png

There's nothing to be concerned about. The Whiz would never hurt you.

The wife loves this stuff

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hear the slur. But I almost hear "new grocery store" as "nuhgru-shrytore"

Has she said anything in response?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I listened again. The phrase that begins with "I guess" and ends with "store too now" very clearly has 9 syllables to me

"I guess at that n word store too now" has 9 syllables and fits much better than "I guess they have that in the grocery store too now", with 12 or 13 (depending on how you pronounce grocery) syllables
She doesn't enunciate all the syllables in her sentence, so counting them won't help.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
White person mumbles racist slur "nope I clearly hear grocery store guys, its so clear"

Young black boy mumbles and gets brutally murdered for it, rip Emmet Till

what in tarnation

and seriously why the hell are there so many alt accounts on this forum?

are all these alt accounts just people who got banned and are coming back to stir up more shit?

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Like radeo said, this is what I meant by paki store.

So, her say nigger store to buy Pocky sticks or whatever, is like if I said I was going to the paki store to buy Pocky sticks.
Because a lot of people seem to be saying "the context doesn't make sense here"...

There's a later clip of her defending her use of "ethnic" by saying that it means anything non-white

There's the clip of her getting thrown out of the gym "because I'm white"

I've lived in both the UK and Korea, and I've heard multiple people in both places use generic slurs as a catch-all for anything non-white. Hell, in Korea I heard people referring to obviously Korean owned convenience stores as n-word stores sometimes just because it was in an area where a lot of black expats lived

I still hear it every now and then now in the UK, usually it's "sand-nigger" or "paki" store.

If you don't understand how the context doesn't make "sense", you haven't been exposed to all that much racism. I'm half-korean half-white and grew up in a majority white area, and got called all sorts of shit including the n-word when I'm pretty pale honestly

Anyway, I've listened quite a few times to the slowed down version and if I really strain I can somewhat hear grocery store, albeit with a lot of missed sounds and syllables. Bit of a reach though if I'm going to all that effort to try and force myself to hear it

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The first time I listened it seemed very clearly to be the N word. On multiple listens I'm now more convinced she did say 'in the grocery store.'

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
She almost definitely slurs together the words "in the grocery store" in a way that sounds like the n-word.

Only the most asinine people wouldn't give her the benefit of the doubt with that. She's talking about grocery stores stocking brands and items at that very moment, and clearly not trying to iterate a Seinfeld joke with racism.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
This is like that brainstorm sound illusion that was going around last year.

I totally heard N store at first, but then when I expect it to be "They have that in the grocery store now" I hear that easily.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
I hear "N store" after multiple listens (including the slowed down version) but I don't think anyone who hears "in a grocery store" is defending a racist. They simply hear something different. I'm pretty surprised by the outcry here against someones inability to hear what they here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hear "N store" after multiple listens (including the slowed down version) but I don't think anyone who hears "in a grocery store" is defending a racist. They simply hear something different. I'm pretty surprised by the outcry here against someones inability to hear what they here.
Why are you defending people defending racists.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility; Prior Warning for Hostility
You can clearly hear her say the "the N___ store" as something she says regularly without regret, so yeah, she is a racist and if you defend her so are you, you little shit.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can clearly hear her say the "the N___ store" as something she says regularly without regret, so yeah, she is a racist and if you defend her so are you, you little shit.

No one drops an N bomb on twitch and just casually goes on with their conversation. Nice calling others racist little shits though because you're unable to hear what she said. Nice look.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah what I hear now with better speakers is like if you said vinegar without the V and just swalloed the cery or grocery.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I can genuinely hear both. I understand why if you could only hear the slur you would think someone who said they heard "grocery store" was gaslighting you though. I'll leave it at that.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I hear the slur. But I almost hear "new grocery store" as "nuhgru-shrytore"

Has she said anything in response?
I have listened to this clip several dozen times, and for the life of me, I can't hear the second half of the word "grocery"

I don't know where people are getting this from

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Why are people making comments to her about what snacks they are going to buy?
IRL streams are wack dude

I can only somewhat make out a really poor version of grocery store when it's slowed down but it took me a long time to get there. Not impossible but I don't really struggle to hear anything else she says, and I have a speech impediment myself lol

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I have listened to this clip several dozen times, and for the life of me, I can't hear the second half of the word "grocery"

I don't know where people are getting this from
She mumbled and has lingual braces (aka they are on the back of her teeth up against her tongue) which could stop her from forming the second half of the word correctly. She just slurs "groce" and "store" into one word. At least that's what it sounds like to me and makes sense in context to what she was talking about.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Did she produce sounds with her mouth that sounded like "n______-store" to the average ear? Yes.
Did she intend to be racist by slurring/mumbling in a way that would purposefully produce said word? No, I don't believe so. Like 98% sure on this.
Should streamers make sure they are clearly pronouncing everything they're saying while broadcasting to a wide audience? Yes.

Mumblers mumble when they're saying something that they don't think is important or when they're talking out loud to their self and pronunciation doesn't matter, like while brushing their hair and talking just to fill time.

I hate that I'm so invested in clearing this woman of what people think is a definite 100% racist act. Prolls cuz mumbling is a big issue for me personally. But also why would se be talking about going to a "n______ store" TO BUY POCKY AND RAMUNE SODA!? COME ON YALL.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
. Hell, in Korea I heard people referring to obviously Korean owned convenience stores as n-word
Errrr.. are you sure that those koreans use the n word as slur? Because in korean n word is also a korean word which means "I or me". It is pronounced naega, I saw a korean once got slammed by an american for using the word even though it turns out he was using n word as a real korean word

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Errrr.. are you sure that those koreans use the n word as slur? Because in korean n word is also a korean word which means "I or me". It is pronounced naega, I saw a korean once got slammed by an american for using the word even though it turns out he was using n word as a real korean word
No I meant the Americans would say that (I went to a private american school because my korean isn't good enough for public school). I know all about people getting mad about kpop lyrics lol

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Some people can't see the forest for the trees. It doesn't matter what evidence is presented, all reason goes out the door when it would lead to a person admitting they were wrong. It scares me how they'll jump to conclusions or make assumptions based on those false conclusions. It reminds me of my half-brother, who is a flat earther.

For God's sake, somebody actually invoked the name of Emmett Till... In this thread!?!? Because there's no possible way that person could be wrong and a bunch of us aren't actually defending racism, right?

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
She mumbled and has lingual braces (aka they are on the back of her teeth up against her tongue) which could stop her from forming the second half of the word correctly. She just slurs "groce" and "store" into one word. At least that's what it sounds like to me and makes sense in context to what she was talking about.
She doesn't say it, that's why....she slurs together grocery and store so it sound like grosstore.

I slowed it down by half and then half again, and I still can't hear it. I can't even hear "groce."

I'm starting to think I'm being fucking gaslit here

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
So the argument is she's saying, if you slow it down to half or 1/4 speed, "I guess they have that 'Ngrocerer store too now"? ehhhhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.