• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It makes no sense to just blurt that out and it makes even less sense in the context of what she's saying, so I don't get how people can seriously think that's what she intended to say.
It's just outrage over a Twitch "titty" streamer. Reading through this thread you'll find a lot of anger toward her for streaming brushing her hair and shit, and this clip gained traction on r/livestreamfail before being posted on Twitter and here. Even the title of this thread reads as like "haha dumb girl twitch streamer." I don't even like Amouranth but it really would not make sense in context for her to be saying the n word at all.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It's not blatantly clear, else it wouldn't be up for debate. And judging by what's been posted in this thread, she's waffled back-and-forth between "grocery store" and "bigger store" (the latter no doubt to cover her ass).

Also, contrary to your beliefs, offering an alternate perspective doesn't make one a stan. Not everything is black and white.
It is blatantly clear. The only consistent defense is it doesn't make sense in context because that's exactly what it sounds like. Now you could argue she misspoke to make it seem like she used the term as if it was casual usage. However let's not act like their isn't a large number of people within this thread that can't hear the n word.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also hear "nigger" but the context makes so little sense, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt if people are saying they heard something different. Her mumbling didn't really help.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heard a slur the first time when I was told I'd hear a slur, heard "inagrocerystore too now" after that.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
"guess they have that in the grocery store too, now" is what I heard

listened again - it's so clearly grocery store. yall are trying real hard to cancel this lady over nothing

Mar 29, 2018
I saw this earlier and a few users on reddit are trying to figure out if that was what she actually said. Some think she mumbled "I guess they have that in the grocery store too now" but I'm honestly not hearing it.
Was going to ask the same thing. The two words are very distinct but don't make sense in the context of the words immediately before and after, which makes me think this is quite possibly an audio phenomena.

Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't, though.

Heard a slur the first time when I was told I'd hear a slur, heard "inagrocerystore too now" after that.
Yeah, it's probably this

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That in the grocery store too.

She slurs in-the in a weird guttural throat way creating the rather unfortunate slur sound.

That's what I hear at least.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (permanent): inflammatory remarks, long history of severe infractions
Sterilize IRL streamers and the people that watch them.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I've obviously got zero patience for people casually using racial slurs...but this ain't it. It makes absolutely zero sense in the context of her sentence. She does on the other hand sound like she has some mysterious southern twang accent that complicates things and she does kind of mumble her words together. If she has any type of "history" in this arena of using hate speak, then have it it, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt as I can easily hear it the other way as well. It's kind of a (obviously) wayyy less funny version of that Grover video posted earlier.

Also, these comments saying that she "looks" like someone who casually uses the 'n' word are fucked up. If you got receipts of her doing that in the past, that's a different thing altogether, but that's just judgmental as hell and it's a bad look.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
bro what kind of accent pronounces grocery that way. like the one dude who probably said 'get on these idiots' or whatever 2-3 months back, well, probably said 'get on these idiots', but there is like no ambiguity here to my ear at all

in the, unn, gershy store

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
So even with the slowdown above, people still claim they don't hear "I guess they have the n***** store too now"? Unbelievable.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
After listening a few times, I'm hearing why people think she said "grocery store" because people tend to mimic socially prominent speech patterns and the garbage pronunciation that results sounds pretty much like this.

But damn if that first listen wasn't just LOOOL

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

Bigger makes no sense in the context.
[/QUOTE]
But doesnt she say she is looking for pocky in bigger store or something?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I've obviously got zero patience for people casually using racial slurs...but this ain't it. It makes absolutely zero sense in the context of her sentence. She does on the other hand sound like she has some mysterious southern twang accent that complicates things and she does kind of mumble her words together. If she has any type of "history" in this arena of using hate speak, then have it it, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt as I can easily hear it the other way as well. It's kind of a (obviously) wayyy less funny version of that Grover video posted earlier.

Also, these comments saying that she "looks" like someone who casually uses the 'n' word are fucked up. If you got receipts of her doing that in the past, that's a different thing altogether, but that's just judgmental as hell and it's a bad look.
I've barely seen any if any posts saying she looks like someone that says the word and I've read most of this thread. I have read often people saying the way she said the word sounds like it may come from someone who says it casually. If you've regularly heard the word said at you or in your presence it's one of the subtles you can notice though it's hardly 100 % accurate.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Didn't other streamers get suspended because it sounded like they said it, but didn't actually say it, but they still got suspended because people could interpret them saying it.

Don't think anything will happen, like some other personalities, she's unbannable for this type of thing.

All this will show is that Twitch is not consistent at all, this is why I like that Mixer is coming up.

Last edited:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So even with the slowdown above, people still claim they don't hear "I guess they have the n***** store too now"? Unbelievable.
I think the twitter slowdown really emphasizes the slur interpretation, but with the full sentence slowdown posted by kai3345 it's not clearly a slur at all. Listening to that I'm back to hearing "in a grocery store".

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever she said or meant to say, I've seen this woman on Twitch before (she is often one of the highest viewed IRL streamers) and she is just weird as fuck and slightly crazy. Like the things she says and does makes her seem not mentally sound. She's always mumbling shit under her breathe or just making odd ass statements. I watched her stream for like 3 hours once with some friends because it was like watching a weird train wreck.

I will say this woman streams like all day every day for years now. I literally always see her stream going. If she was a casual racist she has done a truly impressive job hiding it for a very long time......

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I think the twitter slowdown really emphasizes the slur interpretation, but with the full sentence slowdown posted by kai3345 it's not clearly a slur at all. Listening to that I'm back to hearing "in a grocery store".
Where are you hearing the y bro. Neither from lip reading or tone analysis there's nothing I can hear that either sounds like or rhymes with a y. It's a weird phenomena.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe that I have to defend the vapid narcissist that is Amouranth but this thread is crazy pills. This is clearly a situation where people are projecting their own feelings and hearing exactly what they want to hear to fit their own world view.

She's just a mumbler who was trying to say "in the grocery store." Her immediate response when people accused her of using a slur was to defend her use of the word "ethnic" because that's what she figured people must have been referring to.

My favorite part is the people projecting that she "sounds like she says it daily." How many thousands of hours worth of her shitty streaming "content" is on Twitch right now? Somehow that word just managed to slip out now?...in a nonsense sentence?...but one that would make perfect sense if that word were something else like what she claimed to have said?

This is just wild. Use some common sense.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
My favorite part is the people projecting that she "sounds like she says it daily." How many thousands of hours worth of her shitty streaming "content" is on Twitch right now? Somehow that word just managed to slip out now?...in a nonsense sentence?...but one that would make perfect sense if that word were something else like what she claimed to have said?
Yeah, this is a super good point. She streams all the time and nothing like this has ever happened.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wish I'd been able to hear it without being primed to hear n-word store from the get-go by the tweet. After listening to the full sentence slowed down, and considering the context it definitely seems she saying some iteration of "the the grocery store" with a bunch of syllables dropped or slurred. It's like "'nna grossss store" or something like that.

Regardless, the fact that this much of a debate can be had about what she said coupled with the context of the conversation, that we see from the clip, would make this a rather unactionable incident. I mean didn't Twitch just have an issue where they based an accented streamer for saying a slur he didn't say? Would they be in a hurry to repeat that?

furikuri

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how you get that. I've listened to it trying to discern the individual syllables - that interpretation is 6 syllables, and I can't see where the 'orcery' part is being heard.

It's hard to comprehend her speech, but it's there. Not only does she say "in" and "the" very quickly (making the words sound merged), she says them with an almost-imperceptible "i", which makes it sound like a "nih"/"nuh" sound (inna). When followed by her pronunciation of "grocery" (with a "ger" or "gre" sound, as opposed to a "gro"), you get something that sounds extremely questionable. Actually, she doesn't actually seem to say -ocery. She just kind of spits the words out, like "grshry". The "o" and the "e" are almost completely omitted.

Example: "I guess they have that in the (slurs into "inna" with a de-voiced "i" = [nih/nuh]) gro(ger)cery ("shery"/"shury") store too, now". Her slurry, hasty, mumbly pronunciation of "in", "the", and "grocery" are what really fuck things up—together, they come off as "inna ger", rather than "in a grocery". Her diction is nigh-incomprehensible, so it's easy to interpret the sentence as something extremely questionable.

Again, I'm not sure how to communicate this in a way that makes sense!

Last edited:

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
That's unfortunate. I listened to the clip and it's pretty unmistakable imo. I won't support her.

I do find the '*cough*' in the title of the thread a bit sexist though imo. Would you have inserted the same if it was Ninja? Amouranth deserves criticism for the racism and deserves some kind of punishment for what she did from Twitch, not derision based on her gender and type of content she was producing.

Who can blame them when IRL is where all the white knights live ;)

This is another example, calling people defending a woman"white knights"(inferring they are only doing so because she is a sexual object they wish to claim) or calling women "vapid" (a different user/post) is extremely sexist. Don't do it!

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It's mumbled as fuck. Even hearing it that way its weirdly all jumbled together.
Yeah it's weird. It's well known scientific phemenom that if you come in with an assumed bias towards an audio clip or if someone tells you that they heard something, you will also begin to hear that regardless of what was actually being said etc.

This thread is just one big testament to that. Different bias' hearing different things.

I will say that for future usage if you have to hear something like 10 times to hear something I would not trust that interpretation at all. Your brain could have very well fudged that much like this thread title implicitly adding bias.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that for future usage if you have to hear something like 10 times to hear something I would not trust that interpretation at all.
FWIW I didn't have to listen ten times to hear both interpretations. Just twice. But yeah. Our senses fooling us is a crazy thing.

I can still only see the dress as white and gold.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I heard the n-word the first time....but now I can definitely hear "I guess they have that inna grocery store too" which actually does make sense in context of what she's saying so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
What is this thread? Girl said grocery store. I don't follow Twitch at all besides Destiny why are so many people out trying for that elusive "Gotcha!" on this particular steamer? Whatever her hustle is, its seems to be allowed by Twich TOS so people need to put the pitchforks away. Sheesh. No one is forced to watch or donate bits or whatever.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch moderation is absolute trash. Just last night even, that lying con artist DSP starting talking in that incredibly racist Asian mock tone during a stream. Think anything is going to happen to him? Of course not.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tried listening to the clip, several times, both normal and slowed down, tried looking at her lip movements...I keep hearing the N-word.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
"i guess they have that in the grocery too now" is more believable than trying to throw a "store" into that sentence.

"grocery store" is definitely not being said, one way or the other.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not blatantly clear, else it wouldn't be up for debate. And judging by what's been posted in this thread, she's waffled back-and-forth between "grocery store" and "bigger store" (the latter no doubt to cover her ass).

Also, contrary to your beliefs, offering an alternate perspective doesn't make one a stan. Not everything is black and white.

Person uses a racial slur. Person realizes they got caught and tries multiple excuses to cover it up, braces, slurring, different words, etc. 99% of people hear the slur yet somehow it isn't black and white? Like c'mon it's not rocket science, it's super clear on what she said and because it could effectively end her shit she is trying her damndest to fight it

Status
Not open for further replies.