• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch is in the news again for banning a streamer over a 5 year emote due to a DMCA claim meanwhile Twitch still has streamers who are racists, homophobes, etc and they are not banned:

January 19, 2020

Twitch streamer Annialis was left stunned on January 18 after being banned from the streaming platform - for an emote she has had for 5 years.

Annialis is a streamer with upwards of 100,000 followers on Twitch. However, fans trying to find her channel will now be met with the infamous 'time machine' message that is displayed when a streamer has their account banned.

It was not initially clear to Annialis why her account was banned as she went live for the first time in a month. Once the reasoning became clear, she was left with more questions than answers.

On January 18 the streamer tweeted her frustration and confusion after realizing the ban was for an emote her channel has had for over 5 years.

While her initial tweet was mostly directed at Twitch, it quickly became clear that she was actually banned for a DMCA copyright infringement.

After initially pointing her dismay in Twitch's direction, a follow-up tweet explained: "I've already stated that I was in the wrong and am aware of the consequences. Please read before pulling the trigger."

Regardless, the streamer was left baffled by the fact that someone had put in a claim against a five year old emote.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Should have made her emote racist and homophobic, Twitch clearly would have been fine with that.

(btw did anything even happen to that Jenny or Jenni lady or whatever? The one with the racist and homophobic discord logs from last week?)

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Only for 24hours? And she hasn't streamed in a month? I don't see how that affects her at all then. But yeah, it is bullshit how much of that other shit is on there

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Sodapoppin literally just made a Tweet a few hours ago "There are two genders." Nothing will be done of course.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sodapoppin literally just made a Tweet a few hours ago "There are two genders." Nothing will be done of course.

Sadly for enbys etc. that's one of the kinds of discrimination that's still fairly popular and it's likely not going to result in much more than fingerwagging from advocates.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
24 hour ban isn't shit to get worked up about. Doesn't it says only if the claim was against live content then it'd be 24 hours, do emotes even fall under that? (Edit: Rereading it, I guess it does. Odd.) I'd think live content would be like playing a movie or tv show on stream without permission.

Racists, homophobes, etc do need to catch lengthy bans though, not 24 hours. Hit with month bans and keep increasing the length every time they fuck up.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch has to comply with the law. They have to act when they get a dmca claim or they could expose themselves to legal action. The age of the emote doesn't matter and it's a 24 hour ban that she can appeal, not really a big deal.

Comparing it to the assholes they allow on the platform is an apples to oranges comparison, though I get why people make comparisons like this all the time, the intent behind it is valid even if the actual comparison is faulty.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Sadly for enbys etc. that's one of the kinds of discrimination that's still fairly popular and it's likely not going to result in much more than fingerwagging from advocates.

True but the implication of the statement is very hateful and toxic. It's not something that can be said in isolation as a harmless proclamation. So many of these idiots that say this can't go into thier justification because in no time they will find themselves spouting hate speech. Then again if Soda was actually pushed on the issue he would probably just say it was a troll because he grew up a rich white kid and has no backbone so he would wilt very fast.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wtf, I had to look it up.

We need to hold these platforms responsible.

What the actual story here? She admitted she was wrong. What was the emote even?

The story is that Twitch bans her over a license issue, but people that abuse animals or spew hatred get a free pass.

What was the emote and who owned it? Might have been automated dmca strike too

Probably! But Twitch shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost like amazon doesn't take twitch moderation seriously in the slightest.

Who'dathunkit?

Probably because they can be sued if they don't comply with DMCA. As shitty as it is they aren't at legal risk with the other issues yet. Still need to do something about it.

Yes, her point is that it only matters when it costs them money.

And never when it's anything else.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wtf, I had to look it up.

We need to hold these platforms responsible.

The story is that Twitch bans her over a license issue, but people that abuse animals or spew hatred get a free pass.

Probably! But Twitch shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt here.
This wasn't even a ban, it was a 24 hour suspension. She apparently didn't even try to fight it.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
It's almost like amazon doesn't take twitch moderation seriously in the slightest.

Who'dathunkit?

Yes, her point is that it only matters when it costs them money.

And never when it's anything else.

Yea I agree with that point. Things have to really spill out to other media sites or even tv for them to even acknowledge it. Feels like every media site that gets big falls into this same pattern too no matter what. Youtube, facebook, twitter, etc... until it gets a ton of outside or even government pressure they'll do the bare minimum.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I don't get the point of championing over Twitch bans. Like who the fuck cares other than those livestreamfail ultra-nerds that totally don't hate women btw

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's what you get for not streaming for a month. Make Twitch money or face the consequences.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch should get critized for its inconsistent moderation actions regarding their own TOS. Thats one matter on its own.
Going full whataboutism because you got caught using an artwork from someone else has actually nothing to do with the other Twitch issues.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean twitch is legaly required to act on a valid DMCA claim and will likely do so no matter who the person is. So it's not really the same

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Twitch should get critized for its inconsistent moderation actions regarding their own TOS. Thats one matter on its own.
Going full whataboutism because you got caught using an artwork from someone else has actually nothing to do with the other Twitch issues.
Agreed, she's only now pointing the finger at a legitimate issue after being caught red handed for another legitimate issue. Her ban is completely justified.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
She used it for 5 years and after not streaming for a month got a 24 hr ban because of it.. do the math...

The owner of the Twitch emote can do a DMCA claim whenever they want. Just because they didn't do anything for 5 years does not make copyright infringement legal. It's like how Nintendo fan games can exist for years until Nintendo suddenly sends a cease and desist order.

Copyright right law doesn't require the owners of protected material to constantly defend their claim or loose it. That only applies to trademarked material. For copyrighted material It's their property for a 100 years or until they decide to release it in the public domain.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
What the actual story here? She admitted she was wrong.

Twitch has to comply with the law. They have to act when they get a dmca claim or they could expose themselves to legal action. The age of the emote doesn't matter and it's a 24 hour ban that she can appeal, not really a big deal.

Comparing it to the assholes they allow on the platform is an apples to oranges comparison, though I get why people make comparisons like this all the time, the intent behind it is valid even if the actual comparison is faulty.

She was calling out Twitch on their hypocrisy. And rightfully so.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the point that needs to be stressed is how easy it is for some Twitch streamers to get banned, but for the racist, homo/transphobic, etc., users, they remain up and are allowed to freely assume their position. Even when they get "Banned", it's a joke for how long and don't even lose privileges.

For the record, she does openly admit she ultimately ended up being in the wrong here, once she realized for the cause of the ban, but I think her point still stands regardless.

That said, if the user wasn't 100% aware the emote could've been a problem (I think it's still very common how memes/imagery themselves could be copyrighted and the like and the individuals don't realize this), even with DMCA take-down, why isn't there a contact system that gives the user enough time to comply, rather than an automatic ban? I admit, it's likely in the TOS (been awhile since I overlooked certain things on it), but at the same time, given how inconsistent that's even enforced (the TOS), I just don't get why they don't have a system like that in place.

I don't know, just my 2 cents.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
That said, if the user wasn't 100% aware the emote could've been a problem (I think it's still very common how memes/imagery themselves could be copyrighted and the like and the individuals don't realize this), even with DMCA take-down, why isn't there a contact system that gives the user enough time to comply, rather than an automatic ban? I admit, it's likely in the TOS (been awhile since I overlooked certain things on it), but at the same time, given how inconsistent that's even enforced (the TOS), I just don't get why they don't have a system like that in place.

Under the DMCA a website must comply with any copyright notices or their site could be shut down for copyright infringement. Like many torrent and streaming websites have. Under the 'safe harbour' principle websites wont be sued if their users upload copyrighted material as long as they make an effort to remove said material when copyright owners ask them to do so.

The DMCA was a compromise between internet companies and the major movie/TV/music studios on how to deal with the widespread illegal sharing of copyright.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
why isn't there a contact system that gives the user enough time to comply, rather than an automatic ban
Twitch would immediately become liable to prosecution if they don't automatically react to a DMCA claim. Same is true for every other US website out there.

It's kinda scary how much people seem to know about laws and "internet stuff" or more so the lack of that knowledge.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't whataboutism.

It's an example of them enforcing one rule while letting others slide for reasons.