• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I can think of a few IRL streams that will use this....and their idiot viewers will jump at the opportunity instead o,f you know...going to MFC or something

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The first live chat web cam pron site missed a big opportunity in not patenting private streams systems.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
"Communities are the heart of Twitch. Therefore, starting today we will begin busting them up and locking them behind a sub wall. Pay up, fuckers!™"

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Bad Idea, very very bad idea

All the tournament streams will do this...it will split the community

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good to me. Heck, I thought this was already a thing before the announcement, hah.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So who is the first that is gonna use this to do chaturbate tier shit on twitch. Now Doc can go into any public bathroom without anyone reporting him.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I feel this only benefits the larger streamers who have enough of an audience to try to turn into subs and might get tapped by companies for "exclusive" content that would make people sub for FOMO. Smaller streamers will not be able to convert anyone with this feature. Rich getting richer and all that.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I understood sub-only chat, but this seems pretty nonsensical imo.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say the streamers I follow wouldn't do this, but I imagine 90% of FGC streamers doing this with TeamSpooky leading the way.

Ahh well the streamers I care about most I'm already subbed to. All that said I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The hatred for these sub-only streams is absurd. The applications here are immediately obvious, having occasional (like monthly) more personal streams as a way to personally thank subs. Possibly they'd do short content they usually wouldn't do. Is that really some horrid idea that streamers wouldn't be caught dead using?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see bigger companies using this, not so much daily streamers, but things like Esports, or otherwise events could end up using this.

Oct 25, 2017
The hatred for these sub-only streams is absurd. The applications here are immediately obvious, having occasional (like monthly) more personal streams as a way to personally thank subs. Possibly they'd do short content they usually wouldn't do. Is that really some horrid idea that streamers wouldn't be caught dead using?

Many streamers already have sub only benefits beyond emotes and badge that don't restrict viewership. That is way better than no you can't watch. And yeah I think streamers doing this regularly is going to be offputting for people who watch but either can't sub or won't sub to someone.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
On one hand i hate this but on the other hand it could easily drive new subs if used right. If X only Streams mon-thur or mon-fri and decides hey i wanna do a special sunday stream as a thank you to my subs that could also potentially bring in new subs. This can be a good tool for people who are going to actually use it right and not be scummy about it.

The idea on paper isn't bad it's how people are going to use it. But it's people's money.

Deleted member 1845

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unabashed capitalism at work. Why give away something you can charge for. I'm not surprised to see people in favor of this on Era.

AkimboChainz

Oct 28, 2017
Don't really get the hate for this. If the content in the sub only streams is worth $5 I'll pay for it, if it's not then I won't, just like I do with other subscriptions (music streaming, netflix, giantbomb, etc.)

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Seems pretty smart from Twitch's perspective. Increases value of subscriptions which means more subscriptions which means more money

From a streamer perspective:

1. A way to show off sponsored content. The Ninja/Fortnite case was already given, but I can see a lot of smaller indie devs doing this. Give CaptainShack or something early access to a build of Space Game 7 on the grounds of limited exposure. Makes sure the audience is as favorable as it gets
  2. Cam shows/Artifact streams
  3. Private multiplayer games where "I am protecting myself and my community from stream snipers" while further consolidating that friend simulator effect
  4. Just general "subscriber only" chats and the like.

Nobody will leave it on all the time (unless they are an idiot or are laundering amazon prime money somehow). But, done selectively, it is a great way to increase the dedicated subscriber base that will stick around in case you get stuck in traffic and miss your 3 pm stream.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Well, at least for people who likes to watch VODs this don't make any sense, the amount of clips and entire streams recorded and uploaded for youtube is really big. This is going to be only to special events for people who wanna see things live or in good quality.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it will help bigger streamers who are able to alienate portions of their audience and still get viewers pull in more money for private streams one day a week or something, but it will only harm smaller streamers just trying to get by.

It's similar to when people throw chat in subscriber only.

Doubt 90% of Twitch streamers will even touch this feature.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was already a thing... but that's just Sub-only chat. So I guess this is a logical continuation from that. Seems this would only be relevant to large streamers since their sub count is already super high and it created FOMO for people who arent subbed.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think most people here miss the point of the idea.

You know, a lot of streamers with lots of subs want to do a "Sub-night" where they play games with their subs. This option will make playing and organizing said night with them easier.

Then, on regular day, they can just make the stream public.

And it's all optional too. If you want a sub night but still want your usual crowd watching, then, you just need to not use the option.

I fail to see the problem here. It's an option.
The streamer will probably announce (or rather, if he/she is a good streamer, he/she will) that the next stream will be sub only.

Options are nice and people shit on it.
The way they brought this new feature is, however, up for debate...

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a zero percent chance of any major tournament doing this. Ever.

Tournaments arent making money from subscribers. They make money from sponsors (eg Intel, Kingston etc). And their entire sponsorship depends on having high viewer numbers. The default stream will always be free.

However I can see tournaments hiding additional perks behind subscriber streams. eg if you want to watch the game from s1mple/Niko/Fallen etc's POV in a CSGO match, pay the extra 5 bucks to unlock the 10 individual POV streams. A lot of TO already do this but its limited to their website. Now it can be done on Twitch.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Streamers are known for their high intelligence, which is why none will use this. Oh wait, they'll definitely do it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I think its mostly for streamers who already have lots of people watching their streams usually. And this would be a good way to convert non-subs to subs by enticing them to be able to watch the 'secret-stream'.

You can make the chat sub only and still get the same benefit without locking out lurkers (potential subs)

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Infinite support for entertainers/content creators to having more control! Future of gaming is so cool.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Just stop browsing "Just Chatting" category?

sigh... no, I don't just browse Just Chatting.

The whole site is like that now, everyone on cam and making it like we're buddies that need to support them financially. There's like 5 different ways to do it, donate, bits, sub, merch, etc. Enough of it to make it seem like it's normal and expected that the viewer should be doing one of those things. The streamers are a part of the program with it. I still watch smaller retro streamers, but other than that...

Mar 26, 2018
Crazy stuff, I am not a huge fan of watching games anyways though only more unique stuff and stuff I either played or may not play. Not really into watching plays of new games though. Competitive is fine as well.