• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
After some back and forth last night, the dedicated thread about this issue was locked at request of OP, but this piece from Patrick Klepek just popped up on Vice:
About an hour into last night's debate, the Twitter bot @StreamerBansstarted reporting a series of high-profile accounts that'd been dispatched by Twitch, including speedrunner Trihex and the popular leftwing podcast Chapo Trap House.
The DMCA notice received by Twitch streamers was not from CBS, but a third-party company calling itself Praxis Political Legal. It is not uncommon for major companies to rely on outside companies to handle copyright issues for them on places like Twitch and YouTube, but it is uncommon for the companies in question to delete its internet presence.

Not long after Praxis Political issued its DMCA takedown notices, its website—still accessible through a Google cache here—vanished. The website, a sparse white page without much information, did include an email address. When VICE Games sent an email, however, it immediately bounced back because the email address had been disabled.

Praxis Political claimed to be representing CBS. CBS did not respond to my request for comment as of this writing, but Twitch's determination the claims were false answers that question.
Full story in the link. Attribute to Russia if old.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I blame Congress for not adding and real fraud prevention measures when they passed the DMCA in the first place.

OP
OP
daegan

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Tell me about it. I had an old dumb youtube video that got flagged by a dj who *sampled* the *actual* song I used and had permission for from the artist >/

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I remember it getting mentioned in the other thread. I take back some of what I said there, it's one thing if CBS had issued the DMCA but this is another.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember in the other thread people where jumping over themselves to attack the streamers even when this news was coming out that the group that issued the DMCAs looked shadey/sketchy as fuck.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Wtf this site was made with https://carrd.co/

This is straight up not even a real site. Did nobody at twitch even check the site? Or anything about it?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember in the other thread people where jumping over themselves to attack the streamers even when this news was coming out that the group that issued the DMCAs looked shadey/sketchy as fuck.
This. It's a shame some are nowhere to be seen here

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Just because CBS didn't complain doesn't mean what they did was legal but whatever I really don't have a strong opinion either way because all political events should be free for everyone.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the first and it won't be the last. It's good that Twitch will be fully reversing it, hopefully this encourages them to take steps to delay action on mass DMCA strikes in order to reduce the possibility for abuse like this to succeed

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
There was no room for this in the piece I wrote, but it's some hot bullshit that debates, which help determine the future president, are not completely free, copyright-lifted affairs that can be shared and engaged with in any way the public chooses. It's ridiculous.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am always shocked at how fast they react to stuff, it would have taken longer to ban them if they kicked a puppy into a burning cross while getting a 88 tattoo

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
There was no room for this in the piece I wrote, but it's some hot bullshit that debates, which help determine the future president, are not completely free, copyright-lifted affairs that can be shared and engaged with in any way the public chooses. It's ridiculous.
Sure you can find out more about who could potentially be leading our country for the next 4 years. But you gotta pay.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would say I hope the people who filed the false DMCA strikes can get punished but I don't even know how they could happen since the so called company that did it has vanished.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was told these streamers were thieves who got what they deserved. The Majority Report had reports immediately following the debate that the claims were not legitimate.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was told these streamers were thieves who got what they deserved.
giphy.gif

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
sarcasm?

pretty sure every debate so far has been streamed for free with no login at minimum on the sponsoring company's website.

many also were simulcast on one or more of Youtube, Facebook and Twitter among other places.
Yes, I believe I have been able to watch all of them in some sort of legitimate way without any cable subscription, although I definitely agree with the larger sentiment that these should not be monetized events by these media companies.