• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I would say Everything Everywhere is significantly different from Dr. Strange. But here's my contribution:

51c7UMrNElL._AC_.jpg
516lyeNDGNL._AC_.jpg

Also "The World's End" isn't about the apocalypse. It's about how alcohol addiction and inability to live in the present can destroy you. It just happens to take place in an apocalyptic scenario.

pGXDuvt4NjDtbvKsbLPYSe-1200-80.jpg

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
images
p22804_p_v8_av.jpg
DarkCity_onesheet_USA-8.jpg

I have no idea why this dark city is flipped, but here is the triplet film. I think all 3 have good ideas but 13th floor is clearly the weakest with bad execution and poor acting. The Matrix and Dark City are classics. Certainly the differences with Dark City are more pronounced than the other two but still similar themes.
Can add ExistenZ too. Dark City I think came out a year before Matrix/Thirteenth Floor/ExistenZ though I think

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC some of those came from literally the same script getting shopped around Hollywood. Others are just coincidence, of course.

Yeah and also the way packaging deals can go, a deal for a script might go in a different direction/get bought out by a different company/etc. yet a producer might have already started some level of packaging and development, so you have an amount of people already bought in to doing that project so you just roll on to a new script in the same ballpark.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I always found it odd that there was both a slasher horror movie and a family movie about a guy turning into a snowman. Both were titled Jack Frost. They were about a year apart.

I had a friend back then who accidentally rented the wrong one to watch with their nieces and nephews.

Last edited:

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I always found it odd that there was both a slasher horror movie and a family movie about a guy turning into a snowman. Both were titled Jack Frost. They were about a year apart.

I had a friend back then who accidentally rented the wrong one to watch with their neices and nephews.
Always incredibly confusing to me as a kid at Blockbuster

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Antz got robbed, very underrated movie overshadowed by one of the worst Pixar movies

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg
The_Thin_Red_Line_Poster.jpg

Haven't seen this listed yet.

Both 1998. I would say they're similar in not just setting but also theme.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Some of them make sense, alot are click bait. This is the end and The World's end, aren't even close. Like it's laughably to imply they were copycats.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
If you dig below the surface a lot of these were intentionally timed and sometimes even maliciously so, like Jeffery Katzenberg having inside knowledge of Pixar releasing A Bug's Life and rushing Antz out the door to beat them to market.
I always assumed a lot of this was due to scripts being shopped around to various studios so word gets out about a certain idea even if a studio doesn't go with it.

petszk

Dec 20, 2019
3c107a2c27809eabe2702a7917e4e2b9.jpg
5021456213740.jpg

First one that sprung to mind for me.
Think they were released within a month or so of each other...

Torta Lover

Jan 3, 2022
American me and blood in blood out. They were both filmed at the same time even using some of the same crew, but blood in blood out came out a year later.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Movie posters/VHS covers were all like this back in the day.

"EXCITING!" - Fresno Bee
"I WATCHED IT" - Lubbock Times

There were no review aggregators at all. Top 10 lists or two thumbs up or the local paper reviews are all that existed.

I remember looking at the local paper for movie times and they would always run ads with quotes or reviews on the page next to times.

My dad's logic was 'the bigger the ad the worse the movie'. I remember Sony got caught faking quotes and reviews in the 90s

Oct 27, 2017
the-raid
latest
I watched Dredd after I watched The Raid and was having deja vu. Similar setups. I love both movies but The Raid is still the best overall action movie of the last 10-15 years imo.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
The one that still pains me the most is the one that didn't actually happen: Prometheus and Guillermo Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness

Apparently the studio responsible for Mountains cancelled it because it was too similar to Prometheus. Now, I liked Prometheus more than most, but if I could trade the two I would in a heartbeat.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
image-asset.jpeg

Both based on Chelsea Clinton's predicament IIRC lol
They both even have a "that guy she was crushing on was secretly in her secret service this whole time" spoiler

...Chasing Liberty might be slightly better, but Forrest Whittaker deserves another chance to direct, dammit.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
images
p22804_p_v8_av.jpg
DarkCity_onesheet_USA-8.jpg

I have no idea why this dark city is flipped, but here is the triplet film. I think all 3 have good ideas but 13th floor is clearly the weakest with bad execution and poor acting. The Matrix and Dark City are classics. Certainly the differences with Dark City are more pronounced than the other two but still similar themes.
MV5BMmU1MTJkYWItMzM5Ny00NDgxLTgxOGEtNTkzNDdkZjkwNGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
If you dig below the surface a lot of these were intentionally timed and sometimes even maliciously so, like Jeffery Katzenberg having inside knowledge of Pixar releasing A Bug's Life and rushing Antz out the door to beat them to market.

From what I learned at university it is often when a script gets shown to a studio/publisher without an NDA or something akin to that, it then allows the studio/publisher to take the idea and release almost the same movie.

Edit: Along with this.

I have heard the claim from people involved in one of these movies ( Erased 2012), that supposedly Taken and Taken 2 immediately had various copycats because it all was originally the same script and the same screenwriter was pitching it around so even after being turned down various different studios simultaneously still ran with the premise on their own.

IIRC some of those came from literally the same script getting shopped around Hollywood. Others are just coincidence, of course.

Yeah, the vast majority of these are a script getting shopped around and then someone just greenlighting their own internally developed one if they lost the bidding war. Its usually sort of shitty.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
1998 was on some asteroid shit; no idea why it was so important to us in that moment, though. Deep Impact was actually pretty good, Armageddon, though? One of the top most annoying-to-me movies ever, such shit. Love hearing the DVD commentary where Affleck shits on it.
images
p21422_p_v8_ay.jpg
Came to post this.

These movies were even released insanely close together. One was May of 98 the other was June of 98. Deep Impact is definitely the better movie but it had no reason being an early summer release.