• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think about this scene every time I meet or hear about someone named Judy.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I love this series, but I also feel so stupid because I never really understand any of it. Only when I watch/read theories about what other people have deduced does it start to make sense for me, and I start to love it, but my IQ is too low to figure it out on my own.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
I love this series, but I also feel so stupid because I never really understand any of it. Only when I watch/read theories about what other people have deduced does it start to make sense for me, and I start to love it, but my IQ is too low to figure it out on my own.
What I get is it's not supposed to make literal sense where everything has some logical meaning. So it's not about your "intelligence" and you can't figure it out simply by being smarter. There are deep themes, but not a linear path between them. It's like dream logic.

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
What I get is it's not supposed to make literal sense where everything has some logical meaning. So it's not about your "intelligence" and you can't figure it out simply by being smarter. There are deep themes, but not a linear path between them. It's like dream logic.
I get that, and I love it for that, but I never can figure it out on my own. Maybe it's not a lack of intelligence, but definitely a lack of imagination on my part.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I love the Phillip Jeffries scene for its strangeness, but for my money, Twin Peaks has never unsettled me more than the season finale of The Return. It felt palpably wrong. It was an absolutely devastating way to close out a masterpiece of a season. I both can't wait and dread the thought of watching it again.

Edit: I've never watched The Missing Pieces before, so I guess I'm doing that tonight.

Last edited:

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I like to imagine imagine Lynch and Bowie never actually verbally communicated, they just mind read each other to make a perfect scene and character.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've lost interest in Twin Peaks because of it not making any sense. It just doesn't feel satisfying.

I remember being very disturbed by the babadook when I watched it. Might have been cause I was alone but that was the the scariest thing for me

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's very effective as a scene

I think in terms of being eerie, it probably is the best

I found the Red Room scenes in the last episode of S2 to be more 'disturbing' - maybe coupled with the bar scene where Axolotl by the Veils plays in The Return

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I actually find this scene really annoying. I usually love Bowie as an actor but his cameo in FWWM is kinda bad.

I love the Phillip Jeffries scene for its strangeness, but for my money, Twin Peaks has never unsettled me more than the season finale of The Return. It felt palpably wrong. It was an absolutely devastating way to close out a masterpiece of a season. I both can't wait and dread the thought of watching it again.
Absolutely. I can't articulate why, but something about the way the lights shut out in the house - and then the show immediately cuts to black - was just fucked up. It was a level of unsettling creepiness that hit me on a gut level and I have no idea why.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think many come to these conclusions on their first watch or a few subsequent watches.

When I first saw Twin Peaks in my teens, I didn't get it at all and I struggled through the second season.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Absolutely. I can't articulate why, but something about the way the lights shut out in the house - and then the show immediately cuts to black - was just fucked up. It was a level of unsettling creepiness that hit me on a gut level and I have no idea why.
Oh yeah, that final scene was a gut punch, but even before that, the whole episode felt off to me. Coop wasn't acting like his normal self; everything felt like a strange, doom-laden version of what we'd come to expect from those characters. And then that long car ride before they got to the house, as it started to sink in that there wasn't much time left before it was all over... I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I get that, and I love it for that, but I never can figure it out on my own. Maybe it's not a lack of intelligence, but definitely a lack of imagination on my part.

Lynch stories require rewatches and absolute attention for you understand it, or at least formulate theories.

Twin Peaks is probably his most accessible work since it's primarily a soap opera, murder mystery with some weirdness thrown in.

It's the least complicated work as alot of it can be taken at face value.

Fire Walk With Me and The Return however are Peak David Lynch and honestly requires a companion book to truly get what's going on

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019

Did any of you ever watch this before? I'm not asking any of you to do it, because yeah, its over 4 hours lol, but I was engaged the whole time, and think this guy has a real good theory / interpretation.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This scene and the one in Fire Walk With me when Laura and her father meet the people in the van is something out of this world. Its like it was shot with pure manic insanity.

Did any of you ever watch this before? I'm not asking any of you to do it, because yeah, its over 4 hours lol, but I was engaged the whole time, and think this guy has a real good theory / interpretation.

I always think its a little iffy to try and "solve" Twin Peaks. Lynch probably hates that people even try. Its all about the dream logic and how it makes you feel.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's that brief moment very early in the pilot in the school when the girl is running outside and screaming, for me it captures the mood of a high school death when it's announced to the school in a way that no other piece of media has gotten quite right

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
So I just finished watching The Missing Pieces for the first time ever, and wow. I'm not the biggest fan of FWWM; I've always kind of blown it off as a weird try-hard too-Lynchian version of Twin Peaks that was missing Mark Frost's guiding hand, but having seen what was left out, I think there could've been an amazing four-hour cut that would've perfectly bridged the gap between S2 and The Return.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

Same here man. I remember many on the old forum feeling it was dull, but it had me shaking, as if all of humanity had made a horrible mistake, but nobody knew about it. An odd unease that escalated every minute of runtime.

The final scene drove it all home. It's one of the most terrifying moments I've seen on film/television. Then add the end credits to that.

The only thing I can explain is that Lynch is a master. These moments on paper probably wouldn't be near as effective. The viewer has to live it properly.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
m e a n w h i l e

I'm with Landford , I don't feel it's necessary to box TP into a singular coherent theory. There's a lot going on, and it's up to the viewer to project their own meaning/s or feelings onto it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the entirety of something like Eraserhead is more eerie
Season 3 of Twin Peaks had some creepy stuff from the gotta light type scenarios to the atomic bomb scene

Last edited:

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK

Yeah, the haunting sense of dread throughout the finale of The Return is wonderful, gave me a sustained feeling of creeping horror and unease unlike anything else I've seen. It's done with such economy too, no need for monsters, jump scares or an overwrought score, just a subtle subversion of the Twin Peaks world and a brilliantly nuanced performance by Dern, Lee and MacLachlan. It felt like a revist to the place Mulholland Dr. goes in the Man Behind Winkie's scene.

I watched the The Return again recently. I enjoyed the weekly release of new episode during the original run, it was fun speculating and waiting to see what would happen, but it was even better the second time through. Watching the episodes again closer together improved the experience for me, I no longer had any issues with the pacing, the whole thing felt perfect.

What year is this?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
man this whole show is just a fucking vibe. impressive that he can just make a shot of a house followed by a woman's scream feel so eerie. That finale was both unfulfilling and palpable somehow.

I liked the musical acts in the Return too. it gave the whole season a nice familiar 'totem' to ruminate on every episode.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Lynch stories require rewatches and absolute attention for you understand it, or at least formulate theories.

Twin Peaks is probably his most accessible work since it's primarily a soap opera, murder mystery with some weirdness thrown in.

It's the least complicated work as alot of it can be taken at face value.

Fire Walk With Me and The Return however are Peak David Lynch and honestly requires a companion book to truly get what's going on
Dunno, it seems to me that trying to "interpret" Lynch's work is kind of missing the point. Lynch has always compared his films to dreams, saying that they're essentially the same thing. Dreams function on an unconscious level and Lynch's films are intended to do so, as well. You're meant to experience them, not analyze them.

I always think its a little iffy to try and "solve" Twin Peaks. Lynch probably hates that people even try. Its all about the dream logic and how it makes you feel.
Exactly

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I always loved the eeriness of the MIKE interview, when he completely changes and does That Voice, and the time Coop gets shot and he sees the giant walking around. The giant scene especially feels like a nightmare.

Mar 29, 2018
So I just finished watching The Missing Pieces for the first time ever, and wow. I'm not the biggest fan of FWWM; I've always kind of blown it off as a weird try-hard too-Lynchian version of Twin Peaks that was missing Mark Frost's guiding hand, but having seen what was left out, I think there could've been an amazing four-hour cut that would've perfectly bridged the gap between S2 and The Return.
There is such a cut I believe? It's meant to be amazing.

Also as much as Twin Perfect are ethically dubious their Explained (No, Really) video is incredible and really hammers home why FWWM is a crucial conceptual piece of the puzzle.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's great. The meeting itself is great too.

Best scene in the show is this though.

Also while I enjoy some Twin Peaks """""""explained"""""" vids (particularly Corn Pone Flicks' stuff) I don't think there is any definitive explanation or meaning to draw from the show. They can be fun to watch and make you pick up some details you might have missed from the show but you shouldn't let someone else's conclusions about it all weigh above your own.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
1wmikev.jpg

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the eeriest movie I've ever seen was actually Lynch's inspiration for a lot of his stuff including Inland Empire, it's that old French movie Last Year At Marienbad. Within the first couple minutes of watching it you're just like "what the hell am I watching?" It plays like a fragmented subconscious dealing with trauma, so a lot like that "It is happening again" scene posted up there, there's this sense of uncanny sadness/trauma through the whole thing.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen it before, might start it now. That shot of his mouth was creepy af.